PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Steelers MVP: JuJu Smith-Schuster

86WARD
12-27-2018, 01:14 PM
Steelers announced today that JuJu Smith-Schuster has been named the Team’s 2018 Most Valuable Player.

Here’s the list since 1969:

1969 - WR Roy Jefferson
1970 - DT Joe Greene
1971 - LB Andy Russell
1972 - RB Franco Harris
1973 - WR Ron Shanklin
1974 - S Glen Edwards
1975 - CB Mel Blount
1976 - LB Jack Lambert
1977 - QB Terry Bradshaw
1978 - QB Terry Bradshaw
1979 - WR John Stallworth
1980 - SS Donnie Shell
1981 - LB Jack Lambert
1982 - CB Dwayne Woodruff
1983 - PK Gary Anderson
1984 - WR John Stallworth
1985 - WR Louis Lipps
1986 - LB Bryan Hinkle
1987 - LB Mike Merriweather
1988 - LB David Little & CB Rod Woodson
1989 - WR Louis Lipps
1990 - CB Rod Woodson
1991 - LB Greg Lloyd
1992 - RB Barry Foster
1993 - CB Rod Woodson
1994 - LB Greg Lloyd
1995 - QB Neil O'Donnell
1996 - RB Jerome Bettis
1997 - RB Jerome Bettis
1998 - LB Levon Kirkland
1999 - LB Levon Kirkland
2000 - RB Jerome Bettis
2001 - QB Kordell Stewart
2002 - WR Hines Ward & LB Joey Porter
2003 - WR Hines Ward
2004 - LB James Farrior
2005 - NT Casey Hampton & WR Hines Ward
2006 - RB Willie Parker
2007 - LB James Harrison
2008 - LB James Harrison
2009 - QB Ben Roethlisberger
2010 - SS Troy Polamalu
2011 - WR Antonio Brown
2012 - TE Heath Miller
2013 - WR Antonio Brown
2014 - RB Le'Veon Bell
2015 - WR Antonio Brown
2016 - RB Le'Veon Bell
2017 - WR Antonio Brown
2018 - WR JuJu Smith-Schuster

86WARD
12-27-2018, 01:16 PM
Third Quarter of the Raiders game may say otherwise...

;)

st33lersguy
12-27-2018, 02:13 PM
Well deserved

FrancoLambert
12-27-2018, 02:21 PM
Wait, didn’t his fumble cost us the game last week?

So well deserved. That’s one hell of a list to be on. (excluding O’Donnell - sorry, my bias shows)

Awesome on the field and the same seems to be true for off the field.

steelcityboyz
12-27-2018, 02:45 PM
well deserved. dude comes to play every week.

Edman
12-27-2018, 02:52 PM
The unquestioned team MVP commits the potentially final, critical mistake that doomed a Steelers' season filled with crippling mistakes.

Just goes to show how 2018 has gone for the Steelers.

43Hitman
12-27-2018, 07:12 PM
Should have been Ben in my opinion. Without him we win 4 games tops

vasteeler
12-27-2018, 07:48 PM

I agree, ints and all

st33lersguy
12-27-2018, 08:03 PM

I disagree, his 15 INTs (tied for a league lead with Sam Darnold a rookie who needed development coming out) and his numerous misfires of open receivers helped capsize the season.

DesertSteel
12-27-2018, 09:37 PM
More Juju's on that team would result in a Super Bowl.

- - - Updated - - -

Ben has only won once for a reason...

43Hitman
12-28-2018, 04:10 AM
He also has the most passing yards and attempts in the league. Funny how people just focus on the negative. MVP means most valuable player. Would it hurt without Juju? Sure. But without Ben Juju , AB and the whole bunch gets no where.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

zulater
12-28-2018, 05:35 AM

- - - Updated - - -

I think part of the reason is he doesn't care about it or seek it. I think he makes it known he would rather a teammate get it. I'll bet he voted for Pouncey or AV.

I think everyone in that building knows that Ben is the most indispensable player on the team. Taking nothing away from AB or Ju Ju. Both excellent players. But without a top rate qb they're not going to get the chance to shine. Ask Mike Wallace.

Edman
12-28-2018, 06:06 AM
But without a top rate qb they're not going to get the chance to shine.

When a team's chances of winning diminish when you throw more, chances are you aren't the team MVP or "top rate". Ben can get the ball out for sure, but there are too many stupid momentum-shifting turnovers on his plate this year. Ben nearly blew the first Browns game and blew the Broncos game.

This season started to go south when the Offense started to ignore the running game during the time of the year when you need to run. But we have to keep Ben and AB happy. And that's one of the many reasons why this season may result in a trashfire, and why this team will continue to fall short under Tomlin.

86WARD
12-28-2018, 06:29 AM
I disagree, his 15 INTs (tied for a league lead with Sam Darnold a rookie who needed development coming out) and his numerous misfires of open receivers helped capsize the season.

Not saying JuJu doesn’t deserve it but how’d that Raiders game go without Ben? I don’t think it’s as clear cut as people think it should be...and AB isn’t far from the discussion either...

teegre
12-28-2018, 07:38 AM
The QB is the most integral part of any team. The “MVP” moniker is misleading, because it really is NOT saying who is the most “valueable” player, but rather who had the best season.

Otherwise, as good of a season that James Harrison had in 2007 &2008, he wouldn’t have gotten one vote for being the most “valuable” to the organization (even though he easily had the best seasons during those two years).

st33lersguy
12-28-2018, 09:25 AM
Not saying JuJu doesn’t deserve it but how’d that Raiders game go without Ben? I don’t think it’s as clear cut as people think it should be...and AB isn’t far from the discussion either...

How about the first Cleveland game though, Ben was primarily responsible for that not being a win, numerous turnovers and numerous overthrows of open receivers, a better performance by Ben, they win

Then there is the Denver game, again primarily responsible for that loss. His first bonehead INT changed the complexion of the game and gave all momentum to Denver, his second boneheaded INT ended the game. Steelers most definitely win with a better Ben performance.

That alone is the difference between 10-5 and 8-6-1, the difference between needing help to get in the playoffs and clinching the division due to division record.

Add his boneheaded INT against the Chargers and his overthrow of an open receiver in the endzone that helped keep the Chargers in the game and prevented them from getting a bigger lead.

Even in the first Baltimore game, the game tied at 14, they abandon the run and put the ball in the hands of Ben and he misfires on numerous passes and helps stall the offense.

So no, Ben definitely does not deserve team MVP

86WARD
12-28-2018, 10:20 AM
Okay to play that game, JuJu lost the game in the biggest game of the year when the pressure was on. ..most likely keeping them from the playoffs. The biggest blunder of all?

Without Ben, this team wins maybe 5 games...maybe. Josh Dobbs...lol. Without JuJu, they win close to the same. JuJu had the best season and deserves the award but literally, Ben is most valuable to this team.

pczach
12-28-2018, 10:26 AM
How about the first Cleveland game though, Ben was primarily responsible for that not being a win, numerous turnovers and numerous overthrows of open receivers, a better performance by Ben, they win

Then there is the Denver game, again primarily responsible for that loss. His first bonehead INT changed the complexion of the game and gave all momentum to Denver, his second boneheaded INT ended the game. Steelers most definitely win with a better Ben performance.

That alone is the difference between 10-5 and 8-6-1, the difference between needing help to get in the playoffs and clinching the division due to division record.

Add his boneheaded INT against the Chargers and his overthrow of an open receiver in the endzone that helped keep the Chargers in the game and prevented them from getting a bigger lead.

Even in the first Baltimore game, the game tied at 14, they abandon the run and put the ball in the hands of Ben and he misfires on numerous passes and helps stall the offense.

So no, Ben definitely does not deserve team MVP

We know how you feel about Ben. You were ripping apart his performance in the Saints game throughout the entire game in the Game Day thread. He was almost perfect in that game and was the reason they should have won that game and you still bashed him all game.

43Hitman
12-28-2018, 06:13 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Same as Mean Joe. Your point?

teegre
12-28-2018, 07:57 PM
The unquestioned team MVP commits the potentially final, critical mistake that doomed a Steelers' season filled with crippling mistakes.

Just goes to show how 2018 has gone for the Steelers.

Mark Madden...???

Godfather
12-30-2018, 09:25 PM
Criticizing Ben for throwing too many picks is fair IMO. Drew Brees and Russell Wilson threw for roughly the same number of touchdowns and only a fraction of the interceptions.