PDA

View Full Version : Terrell Edmunds named Steelers Rookie of the Year

Born2Steel
12-26-2018, 01:25 PM
https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/14444027-74/terrell-edmunds-a-rare-1st-round-pick-named-steelers-rookie-of-the-year

Of course he may have been the only one in contention for the award.

Born2Steel
12-26-2018, 01:36 PM
Just a question because I do not know the answer, and apparently neither do the Steelers. Is Edmunds a CB, SS, or ILB? I'm asking where does he best fit. If he has good cover skills but open field tackling is his weakness,(as his draft profile suggests) then at 6'1" 217 and runs a 4.47, can he be the answer at RCB? That skillset does not scream ILB to me unless he can maintain his speed while adding 20-25lbs and can improve his open field tackling. He's the perfect size for a box safety so maybe that is where he should stay. But again how big an issue is his tackling?

st33lersguy
12-26-2018, 02:07 PM
Won only by default

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-26-2018, 02:32 PM
Just a question because I do not know the answer, and apparently neither do the Steelers. Is Edmunds a CB, SS, or ILB? I'm asking where does he best fit. If he has good cover skills but open field tackling is his weakness,(as his draft profile suggests) then at 6'1" 217 and runs a 4.47, can he be the answer at RCB? That skillset does not scream ILB to me unless he can maintain his speed while adding 20-25lbs and can improve his open field tackling. He's the perfect size for a box safety so maybe that is where he should stay. But again how big an issue is his tackling?

Edmunds had 5 missed tackles in 585 snaps his final season at Va Tech. https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/01/terrell-edmunds-brings-tackling-to-a-defense-that-needs-it/

I don't think tackling is a big issue with him. I think the year of getting used to NFL speed, schemes, coverages etc was difficult. I think he has potential to be a bigger playmaker that he showed this season so far. I still think he is a Safety and hope the next year or 2 brings greater confidence, awareness and results.

teegre
12-26-2018, 07:32 PM
Justin Reid had a better rookie season than Terrell Edmunds.

Likewise, CJ Mosley had a better rookie season than Ryan Shazier.

DesertSteel
12-27-2018, 09:13 AM
Justin Reid had a better rookie season than Terrell Edmunds.

Likewise, CJ Mosley had a better rookie season than Ryan Shazier.
Mosley goes to the pro bowl every year too. Still would've been the better pick. Shazier was great when he was great, but his head first style was doomed from the beginning.

teegre
12-27-2018, 09:50 AM
Mosley goes to the pro bowl every year too. Still would've been the better pick. Shazier was great when he was great, but his head first style was doomed from the beginning.

Better yet, as I said elsewhere, successfully* trading up to acquire OBJ or Aaron Donald would have been phenomenal.

*we tried, but couldn’t get the deal done.

Born2Steel
12-27-2018, 02:14 PM
Edmunds had 5 missed tackles in 585 snaps his final season at Va Tech. https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/01/terrell-edmunds-brings-tackling-to-a-defense-that-needs-it/

I don't think tackling is a big issue with him. I think the year of getting used to NFL speed, schemes, coverages etc was difficult. I think he has potential to be a bigger playmaker that he showed this season so far. I still think he is a Safety and hope the next year or 2 brings greater confidence, awareness and results.

I sincerely hope he does become an NFL caliber SS. This secondary has been pretty woeful since TP43 and Ryan were running things back there.