PDA

View Full Version : If Art Rooney doesn't act, he's our biggest problem

Six Rings
12-25-2018, 04:11 PM
Tomlin is but 3 and 6 in his last nine playoffs games. Top talent, below average results, but the final straw for me was the New Orleans game.

Not red-flagging an obvious fumble and going for a fake to the fullback on 4th and 5 late in the game on your side of the field? Its as if he's helping the other team win. If it were 4th and 2, okay, maybe the fake punt, but if you're going to go for it on 4th and 5, let Ben go five wide and throw it. Now the Steelers have lost 4 of their last 5 games, and will likely not make the playoffs.

While a 3 down inside linebacker, a better #2 cornerback, and speed receiver are ceritnaly offseason needs, replacing Tomlin as the head coach is what the team needs most, and if Art Rooney doesn't do that, he's the biggest problem.

hawaiiansteeler
12-25-2018, 06:01 PM
check on how many head coaches the Steelers have had over the last 50 years and you'll have your answer on whether Art Rooney fires Tomlin or not...

Six Rings
12-25-2018, 07:24 PM
check on how many head coaches the Steelers have had over the last 50 years and you'll have your answer on whether Art Rooney fires Tomlin or not...

Art has not been in charge for that long. Last year some minority owners wanted Tomlin out. This year most of the fans do too.

AtlantaDan
12-25-2018, 07:54 PM
Art has not been in charge for that long. Last year some minority owners wanted Tomlin out. This year most of the fans do too.

For the first time since he was hired AJRII probably is considering whether Tomlin’s time is up

But I am not certain whether “most” of the fans, as opposed to most of the fans who call sports talk radio, want Tomlin out, given that some fans recognize the alternative may not be any better and could be worse while many fans also were saying what a great job Tomlin had done to help turn the season around when the Steelers were 7-2-1

But FWIW doing what the fans want is no way to run a pro sports team and the next time an owner fired a head coach because it is “what the fans want” probably will be the first time

Fans were screaming for Cowher to go after the 1999 season too

Shoes
12-25-2018, 09:08 PM
No owner is going to run their team the way the fans want. They already have a Godfather named Roger doing that. Tomlin I'm sure is feeling the heat but it isn't coming from Steeler forums or the sports media. Tomlin has had an easy ride as HC. In general, he gets little to no negative press from the sports media. They actually go out of their way to pump him. A few games ago I listened to Tomlin's post-game presser and someone questioned what halftime adjustments did they make? He said none, none at all. Then I listen to ESPN and I believe it was Cris Carter that was talking about the game the Steelers won and Tomlin's great coaching ability to make the 2nd half adjustments needed to win the game. Amazing!

Nothing we say here right or wrong will changes anything the Steelers do unless we stop buying jerseys and tickets to the games. :chuckle:

Tomlins heat is coming from AJRII who was rubbing his face back in September for a shit show game. I imagine AJRII is rubbing more than his face now late in December.

Lady Steel
12-26-2018, 02:08 AM
Tomlin was AJRII's daddy's hire, so he might feel a sense of loyalty there. I dunno, but AJRII needs to grow a set. Tomlin does need to go.

BnG_Hevn
12-26-2018, 08:17 AM
For the first time since he was hired AJRII probably is considering whether Tomlin’s time is up

But I am not certain whether “most” of the fans, as opposed to most of the fans who call sports talk radio, want Tomlin out, given that some fans recognize the alternative may not be any better and could be worse while many fans also were saying what a great job Tomlin had done to help turn the season around when the Steelers were 7-2-1

But FWIW doing what the fans want is no way to run a pro sports team and the next time an owner fired a head coach because it is “what the fans want” probably will be the first time

Fans were screaming for Cowher to go after the 1999 season too

And he had less talent too. Not a lot of talent + losses = coach fired. That is not really all at the coaches fault.

On the other hand, if Cowher had the current roster, percentages say he'd be winning these games.

teegre
12-26-2018, 08:50 AM
And he had less talent too. Not a lot of talent + losses = coach fired. That is not really all at the coaches fault.

On the other hand, if Cowher had the current roster, percentages say he'd be winning these games.

Cowher wanted full control of drafting during those years. (It didn’t turn out so well.) Colbert being hired turned thing back around.

Would he? He could only win one Super Bowl with “his” players.

Michael
12-26-2018, 09:14 AM
While I certainly recognize that Cowher was in fact out coached in a few big games the difference between Tomlin and Cowher is # 1 He did not have a franchise QB most of his coaching career. Its that simple.

The current situation is not about Cowher versus Tomlin. I have defended Tomlin year after year because he is a players coach and probably a decent guy. However he is disaster waiting to happen on the side lines. He has a poor feel for the game FLOW and RHYTHM.clock management & Challenges is atrocious. He loses an incredible number of games against inferior opponents. The selection of so many defensive players being drafted and falling shorts does not support Tomlin being a quality coach.The evidence of Tomlin demands a verdict of "your Time is up" conveyed by Art Rooney Junior.

Yes Art is on center stage.and if he doesn't fire Tomlin he is our biggest problem

Born2Steel
12-26-2018, 11:16 AM
WOW!!! Now it's the owners fault for not being more proactive in football matters? This thread is off the reservation.

JnK
12-26-2018, 12:25 PM
Take away just a handful of the blatant blown calls by the officials this season and we are easily headed to the playoffs and singing a whole different tune about Tomlin. He can't control the cluster fuck that the NFL has created in officiating. I think Rooney needs to work on firing Goodell before Tomlin. Just my opinion though.

86WARD
12-26-2018, 12:40 PM
Take away just a handful of the blatant blown calls by the officials this season and we are easily headed to the playoffs and singing a whole different tune about Tomlin. He can't control the cluster fuck that the NFL has created in officiating. I think Rooney needs to work on firing Goodell before Tomlin. Just my opinion though.

Every team gets bad calls and there are quite a few of those bad calls that the Steelers benefited from as well. I’m not sure that alone is the answer.

JnK
12-26-2018, 12:50 PM
Every team gets bad calls and there are quite a few of those bad calls that the Steelers benefited from as well. I’m not sure that alone is the answer.

You're right.... and I'm not sure that's the answer either.... but it felt good to blow off a little steam. Still super pissed about the Saints game.

hawaiiansteeler
12-26-2018, 01:40 PM

http://i.imgur.com/PNWqllz.png

AtlantaDan
12-26-2018, 02:02 PM

Probably the only time Cowher clearly had inferior talent in his 4 home game AFC championship game losses was the loss to the Pats in Ben’s rookie year. And his one home win over the Colts came down to a Hail Mary nearly being completed by a 12 point underdog

I respectfully disagree with any premise Cowher was this masterful overachiever who only fell short in the playoffs due to the overwhelming talent advantage of his opponents

hawaiiansteeler
12-26-2018, 04:06 PM
Last year some minority owners wanted Tomlin out. This year most of the fans do too.

just like in our message board poll, Steelers fans are probably divided 50/50 on whether they want Tomlin to be fired or not.

GoSlash27
12-29-2018, 02:30 PM
The only way Rooney would be at fault would be if he took the "advice" of internet randos seriously.

ALLD
12-30-2018, 06:33 PM
IF Tomlin is not one of the top 3 coaches on the team he should go.

EzraTank
12-30-2018, 06:43 PM
Our season ended the first week when we blew a 21-7 lead to the Browns ...

Born2Steel
12-30-2018, 06:44 PM
Our season ended the first week when we blew a 21-7 lead to the Browns ...

OMG! No it did not!

EzraTank
12-30-2018, 06:49 PM
OMG! No it did not!Yes it did if we don't tie that game we win the division based on our divisional record vs Ravens division record

Born2Steel
12-30-2018, 06:55 PM
Yes it did if we don't tie that game we win the division based on our divisional record vs Ravens division record

Plus many other variables across a 16 game season. If you add or take from one side of the equation you have to add or take from the other side also.

Rotorhead
12-30-2018, 06:56 PM
OMG! No it did not!

Well, technically if we win that game we are in the playoffs . . . So

Born2Steel
12-30-2018, 07:01 PM
Well, technically if we win that game we are in the playoffs . . . So

Well, technically if we win that game then we win that game. Which has no effect on the rest of the season from that point. The original post was that "our season was over after that tie". It was not.

Craic
12-30-2018, 08:40 PM
just like in our message board poll, Steelers fans are probably divided 50/50 on whether they want Tomlin to be fired or not.

Funny but true story.

My wife and I were sitting in the airport in 2008 waiting to fly to Pittsburgh. We were about to go see my first Steelers game live, ever. A guy plops down next to me and we start talking about all things Pittsburgh, including and especially the Steelers. About half way through that conversation, he drops this on me:

"I'm not sold on that Roethlisberger as QB. I have my doubts about him."

Again, this wasn't in 2004 or 2005. It wasn't even 2006 after his accident. This was Ben's fifth season in the league. This is the QB that, although the offense was having a down year, had still led the team to to four Game-winning drives in the reg. season (tied for third) and four fourth quarter comebacks (tied for 1st).

So, when fans clamor for coaches and players to be fired, I just remember that story about the typical Pittsburgh fan. You remember, the fans who booed Bradshaw AFTER they won four SBs.

The Bark
12-30-2018, 09:16 PM
Probably the only time Cowher clearly had inferior talent in his 4 home game AFC championship game losses was the loss to the Pats in Ben’s rookie year. And his one home win over the Colts came down to a Hail Mary nearly being completed by a 12 point underdog

I respectfully disagree with any premise Cowher was this masterful overachiever who only fell short in the playoffs due to the overwhelming talent advantage of his opponents

Oh, I remember the Cowher years alright, without rose-colored rearview glasses, too. I liked Cowher, but he had faults of his own (particularly relying too much on the defense with the leads and being ultra-conservative, especially in the second half.) I think part of the fondness for him is due to his reflection of values. Defense and grind-it-out-blue-collar mentality, so to speak. Could one ever see Tomlin run up to a ref and stuff a photo in their pocket? Cowher wore his heart on his sleeve and his spit on his chin. Tomlin is the complete opposite and I think Cowher just connected more with the fans and how they might act in those circumstances. Aside from not having a franchise QB, The other thing Cowher had to deal with is the constant revolving door of coordinators, many who left to become head coaches. It's not like teams have been combing the Steelers sidelines under Tomlin looking for their next HC, Arians being the only one that comes to mind after he, uh-hem, "retired."

Mojouw
12-30-2018, 11:13 PM
Yes it did if we don't tie that game we win the division based on our divisional record vs Ravens division record

Or could've just beat the Ravens twice. Or the Ravens could've never lost a few in a row and essentially eliminated the Steelers in like Week 8.

I hope people are drinking and posting because the stupid is strong around here tonight.

W&M_Steeler
12-30-2018, 11:51 PM
Oh, I remember the Cowher years alright, without rose-colored rearview glasses, too. I liked Cowher, but he had faults of his own (particularly relying too much on the defense with the leads and being ultra-conservative, especially in the second half.) I think part of the fondness for him is due to his reflection of values. Defense and grind-it-out-blue-collar mentality, so to speak. Could one ever see Tomlin run up to a ref and stuff a photo in their pocket? Cowher wore his heart on his sleeve and his spit on his chin. Tomlin is the complete opposite and I think Cowher just connected more with the fans and how they might act in those circumstances. Aside from not having a franchise QB, The other thing Cowher had to deal with is the constant revolving door of coordinators, many who left to become head coaches. It's not like teams have been combing the Steelers sidelines under Tomlin looking for their next HC, Arians being the only one that comes to mind after he, uh-hem, "retired."

At this point Tomlin tends to be more conservative than Cowher. He turtles with a 4 point lead (see, for example, the Saints game). The main difference is that, on occasion, Tomlin will sprinkle his extreme conservatism with some insane risk taking, such as the 4th and 6 fake punt in the Saints game. There is no rhyme or reason with Tomlin's strategy, other than the fact that he prefers to try to win games with the defense he has failed to rebuild rather than with his HOF QB.

Tomlin is stale and complacent. His time with the Steelers should be over.