PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Chances of Making Playoffs?

GBMelBlount
12-20-2018, 06:35 PM
Feel free to pontificate, however, I am only interested to know what you think our chances of making the playoffs are.

I say 100%

Born2Steel
12-20-2018, 06:43 PM
Steelers control their own fate. If we win it doesn't matter what anybody else does. I do not like the matchup this weekend in Nawlins. The upside is that their offense has been struggling also. If we leave NO with a loss we will need help from SD, and Cincy becomes a must win. I will be somewhat surprised if the Steelers are not in the playoffs. But if placing a wager, I would give it about a 75% chance to make the playoffs.

If we leave NO with the 'W' however, I would put our chances at 99%. With the only way we miss is by tripping over our own d!*k$.

GBMelBlount
12-20-2018, 07:46 PM
Steelers control their own fate. If we win it doesn't matter what anybody else does. I do not like the matchup this weekend in Nawlins. The upside is that their offense has been struggling also. If we leave NO with a loss we will need help from SD, and Cincy becomes a must win. I will be somewhat surprised if the Steelers are not in the playoffs. But if placing a wager, I would give it about a 75% chance to make the playoffs.

If we leave NO with the 'W' however, I would put our chances at 99%. With the only way we miss is by tripping over our own d!*k$.

Only 99%? I was thinking 101%if we beat NO.

Fire Goodell
12-20-2018, 08:12 PM
50/50, a lot of it depends if we can win this weekend and if the ravens continue their hot streakk

AtlantaDan
12-20-2018, 08:18 PM
But if placing a wager, I would give it about a 75% chance to make the playoffs.

The FiveThirtyEight site is in exact agreement with your 75% current probability of Steelers making the playoffs :thumbsup:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-nfl-predictions/

But we need to root hard for the Chargers Saturday night - FiveThirtyEight also puts a 74% probability on the Saints winning this Sunday

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-nfl-predictions/

Hawkman
12-20-2018, 08:25 PM
I’m good with 75%. The Chargers will be very motivated to win. They are very much in the hunt for the #1 seed.

DesertSteel
12-20-2018, 09:50 PM
I think ESPN puts it at around 80%.

CV1
12-20-2018, 09:55 PM
If the Ravens win and we lose, not so good [emoji23]

If we both lose, feel better, but we tend to toss stinkers up against the bungholes and the Ravens have the Browns

If we win and Chargers win, feel pretty damn good. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teegre
12-20-2018, 10:06 PM
we tend to toss stinkers up against the bungholes

Here is a good example of perspective not matching facts.

The Steelers have won 10 of their last 11 against the Bengals. But, yeah... that one “stinker.”

CV1
12-20-2018, 10:27 PM
Here is a good example of perspective not matching facts.

The Steelers have won 10 of their last 11 against the Bengals. But, yeah... that one “stinker.”

Yeah wins are wins so you win [emoji23]

Games we had no reason to really trail and come back to win is playing down to the competition, or stinking it up.

With my perspective of the current Steelers being that we lost games to teams we shouldn't of, makes me truly believe they will just beat the bungholes because history says so.

But I digress, you're are correct.

AtlantaDan
12-21-2018, 08:39 AM
I think ESPN puts it at around 80%.

Yep

The Steelers are currently 81 percent favorites, per FPI, to take the AFC North. A Steelers loss and a Ravens win essentially flips Baltimore to the 80 percent favorite.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/viewersguide-week16/week-16-nfl-guide-score-predictions-playoff-scenarios-2018#ballac

FWIW ESPN ranks the Steelers as the #5 team in its "Football Power Index" (FPI)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Football-Power-Index/espn-nfl-football-power-index

86WARD
12-21-2018, 08:41 AM
50/50. 25/75 if the Ravens win Saturday.

EzraTank
12-21-2018, 09:08 AM
Feel free to pontificate, however, I am only interested to know what you think our chances of making the playoffs are.

I say 100%

No way 100%. If the Ravens win this weekend (which they easily could, unless the officials stay on the Rivers parade) and we lose we will NOT make the playoffs. The Ravens will beat the Browns at home the following weekend and either the Titans or Colts (they play each other the final weekend) will finish 10-6 and get the #6 seed.

I hope to wake up Monday with the division clinched (We win, Raves Lose this weekend). If that happens and NE & Houston both win we would be locked into the #4 seed and can treat the finale as a "bye" week.

The real interesting thing is if the Seahawks (who are playing for their season) beats KC and the Chargers win the Chargers jump from #5 to #1 in seeding and we could easily be hosting the Chiefs the first wildcard game, then visiting the Chargers (if we win).

- - - Updated - - -

The FiveThirtyEight site is in exact agreement with your 75% current probability of Steelers making the playoffs :thumbsup:

FiveThirtyEight also said Hillary couldn't lose ;)

Rotorhead
12-21-2018, 09:29 AM
I think it is hilarious that ppl here think the Ravens have a good chance to win Saturday, their QB can’t even pass the ball effectively. He is just another run first guy. Plus they get Gordon back this week and their starting NT. I don’t even think that will be close, Chargers win that by 2 TDs. Add to that, the Browns are playing far better and have a very good to great defense, that isn’t going to be an easy out either as they are playing for their first non losing season in 100 yrs.

As for us, the Saints game can go anyway, I put our chances at winning at 40% because they are at home. We certainly can win in a shootout, so this one will come down to which def plays better, their OL is very banged up so let’s hope for some pressure. The Bengals are imploding, the only thing we really have to worry about is birthdefect injuring someone.

I give is an 80% chance to make the playoffs, and a 60% chance we wrap up the division this weekend.

AtlantaDan
12-21-2018, 09:52 AM
FiveThirtyEight also said Hillary couldn't lose ;)

Umm.... not exactly :chuckle:

For most of the presidential campaign, FiveThirtyEight’s forecast gave Trump much better odds (https://twitter.com/jshkatz/status/795837524308541440) than other polling-based models. Our final forecast (https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/), issued early Tuesday evening, had Trump with a 29 percent chance of winning the Electoral College.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-fivethirtyeight-gave-trump-a-better-chance-than-almost-anyone-else/

In other words, FiveThirtyEight assessed a Trump win to be more probable than its model this weekend that gives the Steelers a 26% probability of beating the Saints

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-nfl-predictions/games/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Mojouw
12-21-2018, 10:14 AM
Probability and percentages. Not a strong suit.

AtlantaDan
12-21-2018, 10:27 AM
I think it is hilarious that ppl here think the Ravens have a good chance to win Saturday.

Ravens outplayed the Chiefs for much of their OT loss in KC and had a comparable performance to that of the Chargers in their last second win at Arrowhead

After watching most of the Chiefs-Ravens game I am convinced the Ravens defense is for real and can keep them in any game. Add to that the Chargers having no home field advantage in LA other than the opposing team having to travel and I give the Ravens a real shot to pull the upset.

Ravens certainly have a much better chance to win than the Steelers this weekend

AtlantaDan
12-21-2018, 10:45 AM
Probability and percentages. Not a strong suit.

Me too

I tried to comprehend Nate Silver's summary of the FiveThirtyEight prediction model and realized I do not have a clue :chuckle:

How Our NFL Predictions Work

https://fivethirtyeight.com/methodology/how-our-nfl-predictions-work/

Rotorhead
12-21-2018, 10:51 AM
I agree their defense is very good, but their offense is 1 dimensional at this point, so I think that is not good for them.

Mojouw
12-21-2018, 10:54 AM
Me too

I tried to comprehend Nate Silver's summary of the FiveThirtyEight prediction model and realized I do not have a clue :chuckle:

How Our NFL Predictions Work

https://fivethirtyeight.com/methodology/how-our-nfl-predictions-work/

The thing is they are not concepts that anyone really thinks about well. Multiple studies have demonstrated that the human mind almost instinctively approaches both concepts with several flaws. Take a simple coin flip question. If it was heads last 4 times, what are the chances it will be heads again? Still 50/50 -- the probability resets each time, but it sure feels like it should be something else...

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-21-2018, 11:28 AM
The thing is they are not concepts that anyone really thinks about well. Multiple studies have demonstrated that the human mind almost instinctively approaches both concepts with several flaws. Take a simple coin flip question. If it was heads last 4 times, what are the chances it will be heads again? Still 50/50 -- the probability resets each time, but it sure feels like it should be something else... That sounds like The Monty Hall problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lb-6rxZxx0

Shoes
12-21-2018, 11:32 AM
What draft range will the Steelers be in if don't make the playoffs?

AtlantaDan
12-21-2018, 11:42 AM
What draft range will the Steelers be in if don't make the playoffs?

If the Steelers miss the playoffs they would draft before the 12 teams that get in and at 9-6-1 probably have one of the best if not the best records of teams that miss

My guess is 19th or 20th pick in first round

JnK
12-21-2018, 12:49 PM
Haven't we learned anything yet? The Steelers will win this weekend on the road against a tough NO team and will look like a bunch of unprepared school girls next week in a loss to the Bengals. That's just the way we roll.

st33lersguy
12-21-2018, 12:56 PM
An even 50

steelreserve
12-21-2018, 01:04 PM
If we win this game, 90%; if we lose, 50-50.

j-d-s
12-21-2018, 01:21 PM
I remember one of those 8-8 years where would have made it had the Chargers made a game-winning field goal in week 17...

12-21-2018, 01:28 PM
I remember one of those 8-8 years where would have made it had the Chargers made a game-winning field goal in week 17... I remember Ryan Succop for KC a few years back shaking a game winning field goal. We would have been in if he made it. Look like he did it on purpose and they didn't need the win. Ps. think it was against the Chargers that gave them a playoff birth and not us. Another reason to hate fat arse Andy Reid!

EzraTank
12-21-2018, 05:01 PM
I think it is hilarious that ppl here think the Ravens have a good chance to win Saturday, their QB can’t even pass the ball effectively. He is just another run first guy. Plus they get Gordon back this week and their starting NT. I don’t even think that will be close, Chargers win that by 2 TDs.

I think the Chargers are overrated. We played them well and if not for a BS couple of false starts (TD) completely missed and one lucky bounce TD we win.

As AtlantaDan said the Ravens played the Chiefs very well and it took a miracle 4th down play by Mahomes to even get to OT. They may be one dimensional on offense but if Jackson makes the short throws to move the chains his defense can win it for him.

K. Allen will not play so that takes away their best receiver.

DesertSteel
12-21-2018, 05:10 PM
Allen is playing for Chargers.

Fire Goodell
12-21-2018, 05:24 PM
Haven't we learned anything yet? The Steelers will win this weekend on the road against a tough NO team and will look like a bunch of unprepared school girls next week in a loss to the Bengals. That's just the way we roll.

Wouldn't that be the most disappointing thing. Beating NE and NO, then losing to the Bengals and missing the playoffs cause Baltimore won out. lol

12-21-2018, 06:11 PM
Wouldn't that be the most disappointing thing. Beating NE and NO, then losing to the Bengals and missing the playoffs cause Baltimore won out. lol Didn't Balt choke last year to make the playoffs cause they couldn't beat the Bengals ?

GBMelBlount
12-21-2018, 06:50 PM
That sounds like The Monty Hall problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lb-6rxZxx0

I prefer the Tom T Hall Solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i5k4I1AOEI

st33lersguy
12-21-2018, 07:38 PM
I think the Chargers are overrated. We played them well and if not for a BS couple of false starts (TD) completely missed and one lucky bounce TD we win.

As AtlantaDan said the Ravens played the Chiefs very well and it took a miracle 4th down play by Mahomes to even get to OT. They may be one dimensional on offense but if Jackson makes the short throws to move the chains his defense can win it for him.

K. Allen will not play so that takes away their best receiver.

Chargers are better than the Chiefs though, they are complete on both sides of the ball. Chiefs defense is a heaping pile of dogshit

12-21-2018, 10:39 PM
Chargers are better than the Chiefs though, they are complete on both sides of the ball. Chiefs defense is a heaping pile of dogshit My opinion KC are 1 year off. They will most likely be in SB next year.

12-21-2018, 10:50 PM
I prefer the Tom T Hall Solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i5k4I1AOEI Good song!

Lady Steel
12-21-2018, 11:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i5k4I1AOEI

Those from SF know I like...

https://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/GUEST_3857f62c-73dd-452d-9383-c03f41908417?wid=488&hei=488&fmt=pjpeg

and expensive shoes...

https://cache.net-a-porter.com/images/products/638211/638211_in_pp.jpg

And if they don't know that, they weren't paying attention, which just pisses me off. :giggles:

12-22-2018, 12:14 AM
Those from SF know I like...

https://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/GUEST_3857f62c-73dd-452d-9383-c03f41908417?wid=488&hei=488&fmt=pjpeg

and expensive shoes...

https://cache.net-a-porter.com/images/products/638211/638211_in_pp.jpg

And if they don't know that, they weren't paying attention, which just pisses me off. :giggles: Wow Funyuns are great! Dig sexy high heels too. Ps.what does this have to do with the Steelers lol ?

Butch
12-22-2018, 02:51 AM
Wow Funyuns are great! Dig sexy high heels too. Ps.what does this have to do with the Steelers lol ?
Isn't it obvious???

We are going to have FUN-yinz watching our team Elevate their game on the way to the SB. :hatsoff:

EzraTank
12-22-2018, 09:10 AM
Allen is playing for Chargers.

With a hip pointer. He won't be himself, trust me I have had hip pointers before (I played ice hockey through D1 college).

EzraTank
12-22-2018, 09:16 PM
I think it is hilarious that ppl here think the Ravens have a good chance to win Saturday, their QB can’t even pass the ball effectively. He is just another run first guy. Plus they get Gordon back this week and their starting NT. I don’t even think that will be close, Chargers win that by 2 TDs. Add to that, the Browns are playing far better and have a very good to great defense, that isn’t going to be an easy out either as they are playing for their first non losing season in 100 yrs.

As for us, the Saints game can go anyway, I put our chances at winning at 40% because they are at home. We certainly can win in a shootout, so this one will come down to which def plays better, their OL is very banged up so let’s hope for some pressure. The Bengals are imploding, the only thing we really have to worry about is birthdefect injuring someone.

I give is an 80% chance to make the playoffs, and a 60% chance we wrap up the division this weekend.Still think it's hilarious?

Rotorhead
12-22-2018, 09:51 PM
Nope lol, the Ravens deserve to win the division, looks like a team that came ready to play (unlike our team half of this season).

Rotorhead
12-22-2018, 09:53 PM
Although, the refs seem to let the ravens get away with murder on almost every pass play

Fire Goodell
12-22-2018, 10:15 PM
Nope lol, the Ravens deserve to win the division, looks like a team that came ready to play (unlike our team half of this season).

We still have a game to play tomorrow. If the Steelers beat the Saints at their house they deserve it more than anybody else. Of course unless they shit the bed vs Cincy lol

Rotorhead
12-22-2018, 10:15 PM
I hope Tomlin was watching and taking notes on how to come out ready to play

CV1
12-22-2018, 10:16 PM
Need a Giants win tomorrow. [emoji23]

EzraTank
12-22-2018, 10:16 PM
Tomorrow is the season basically, just have to beat the Saints at home.

Iron Steeler
12-22-2018, 10:19 PM
Sooooo what are chances now?

Ravens get browns which is a lock win.

Hawkman
12-22-2018, 10:23 PM

Browns have beaten them once already.....why not twice?

Fire Goodell
12-22-2018, 10:23 PM

I wouldn't say that either.

Iron Steeler
12-22-2018, 10:39 PM
So of we lose to the saints and ravens eat browns is that it seasons over?

cubanstogie
12-22-2018, 10:41 PM
Browns have a good D, and Mayfield can actually scramble unlike Rivers. Rivers had no time to throw. I realize Ravens D gets some credit but Rivers cannot elude rushers well, unless its Bud Dupree who runs right by him. Steelers can beat Saints, I say they do if Ben doesn't throw a pic.

- - - Updated - - -

So of we lose to the saints and ravens eat browns is that it seasons over?
only way Steelers can get wild card is for Colts to lose tomorrow and then beat Titans next week.

st33lersguy
12-22-2018, 10:42 PM
Not looking good now, hard to envision the Browns sweeping the Rats and hard to envision a win in NOLA. Of course the Steelers have themselves to blame, should have salted the division away when they had the chance (as opposed to pissing it away because of their own stupidity)

Iron Steeler
12-22-2018, 10:44 PM
Browns have a good D, and Mayfield can actually scramble unlike Rivers. Rivers had no time to throw. I realize Ravens D gets some credit but Rivers cannot elude rushers well, unless its Bud Dupree who runs right by him. Steelers can beat Saints, I say they do if Ben doesn't throw a pic.

- - - Updated - - -

only way Steelers can get wild card is for Colts to lose tomorrow and then beat Titans next week.

Oh were screwed .

Shoes
12-22-2018, 11:01 PM
Oh were screwed .

The Steelers FO, Coaches and players dug this hole for themselves. They've been doing it for years, hopefully, it will be addressed in the offseason or this will continue on.

Shoes
12-22-2018, 11:06 PM
I hope Tomlin was watching and taking notes on how to come out ready to play

:lol: Tomlin taking notes? :lol:

st33lersguy
12-22-2018, 11:10 PM
:lol: Tomlin taking notes? :lol:

That's what the guy they brought in was for

Shoes
12-22-2018, 11:16 PM
That's what the guy they brought in was for

Forgot about that, Tomlin & Butler might as well stay home and let this guy coach the last two games.

AtlantaDan
12-22-2018, 11:22 PM
The Steelers FO, Coaches and players dug this hole for themselves. They've been doing it for years, hopefully, it will be addressed in the offseason or this will continue on.

Chargers fans saying the same - another late season screwup means probably the last best chance of
Rivers to get to a Super Bowl will require three playoff wins on the road

Fire Goodell
12-23-2018, 12:10 AM
Our team only seems to perform well with their backs against the wall. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone here :chuckle:

12-23-2018, 12:36 AM
Our team only seems to perform well with their backs against the wall. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone here :chuckle: Yep I still think we got this! BUT THAT SAID! F You Rivers and this is why you won't win a SB in your career. You are a choke artist and couldn't get to one in your prime with a young LT and a young Gates to boot! Hope we make the playoffs and face these jokers and knock them out!!! Again Merry Christmas All lol!

86WARD
12-23-2018, 12:49 AM
Steelers lose in NO and the season is over...

Steeler-in-west
12-23-2018, 01:21 AM
Steelers lost those gimmes (raiders, broncos, yes even the chargers) where they were sloppy and ill prepared. Because of that now they have to save they’re season by gutting out a win in NO. I have hopes that they’ll win but it’s in NO against a seemingly motivated loud mouthed saints team. We should be motivated too. As far as predictions : too close to call, I think it’s going to come down to the very end (field goal :uhoh: )

12-23-2018, 04:49 AM
Steelers lose in NO and the season is over... Agreed must not lose and Hulk smash!

12-23-2018, 04:56 AM
Steelers lost those gimmes (raiders, broncos, yes even the chargers) where they were sloppy and ill prepared. Because of that now they have to save they’re season by gutting out a win in NO. I have hopes that they’ll win but it’s in NO against a seemingly motivated loud mouthed saints team. We should be motivated too. As far as predictions : too close to call, I think it’s going to come down to the very end (field goal :uhoh: ) Thing is Ben is always hype for playing against good teams! I expect a good game out of him and a win!

12-23-2018, 05:16 AM
For some reason I feel a Ben punt in this game!

stillers4me
12-23-2018, 07:42 AM
Question for yinz all.............the outside help they the Steelers brought in for the preparing for the Patriots* game, did they stick around for this weeks game????????

AtlantaDan
12-23-2018, 07:45 AM
After Ravens win last night FiveThirtyEight now has Steelers with 38% probability to make playoffs and 33% probability to win division

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...l-predictions/ (https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-nfl-predictions/)

My current confidence level the Steelers make the playoffs is a lot lower than those odds

Colts win and Steelers loss today would eliminate wildcard possibility since either Titans or Colts would finish 10-6 after they play each other next week

Needing to win 10 games to make the playoffs seems to be a reasonable hurdle to me - if the Steelers cannot do that they can look back at the numerous blown leads (Raiders, Broncos, Chargers, first Cleveland game) that kept them out

Crow-Magnon
12-23-2018, 08:07 AM
To be frank, I think the Steelers still have a great shot at the AFCN title. The Saints are good, but like the Rams they have cooled off down the stretch. They are tough at home, but beatable.

If Pittsburgh gets the W, you end up with the dysfuctional Bungles and the Ravens get an up-and-coming Browns team that always is a toughie for Baltimore. They play hard for their fan base, who loathes Baltimore and the Ravens utterly.

As much as it pains me to say it, I could see Mayfield making a statement next week. They'll pull out all the stops.

Rotorhead
12-23-2018, 09:09 AM
If I recall, the last couple times the Steelers needed help from the Chargers to get into the playoffs, the chargers didn’t win

zulater
12-23-2018, 09:39 AM
I hope I'm wrong but I don't see us winning in New Orleans. Not a knock so much as there's very few teams that are going in to that building and beating that team this year. If this game were in Heinz I'd give us about a 60-40 chance.

But even if we lose I still think we got a decent chance of winning the division next week. I know the Ravens came off as monsters last night but that's the beauty of this season. Every time a team marks themselves as great they have a huge letdown soon after. Would not be surprised even a little if the Browns played spoiler next week.

cubanstogie
12-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Its funny how the Chargers were anointed most complete team by NFL channel idiots for the last few weeks,Saints had there run as best in league, Pats as well and of course the Chiefs and Rams. Lately all those teams have had a hiccup or two. I think the Chiefs is due to Hunt missing, but there D is pretty bad as well. Rams missed Gurley, Pats are old with not a lot of talent. Not sure why Saints have struggled offensively, I do hope it continues today though. Most say its because they were on the road and when they get home they will score 35 again. My point is it jus goes to show you any given Sunday, the Bolts were dominated and if it weren't for a gift fumble they were never in game and supposedly they were the best team at home. So after Steelers win today the playoffs will have a different feel I think, there aren't any clear cut favorites like the Cheats every year prior. Its more of a revolving door this year.

st33lersguy
12-23-2018, 10:49 AM
I say 20% now

Shoes
12-23-2018, 10:59 AM
Question for yinz all.............the outside help they the Steelers brought in for the preparing for the Patriots* game, did they stick around for this weeks game????????

Well since Tomlin and Butler don't know how to study film they would probably have to hire some new coach who has the saint's number.

st33lersguy
12-23-2018, 11:01 AM

Maybe make him defensive coordinator and shit can Butler

12-23-2018, 01:59 PM
To be frank, I think the Steelers still have a great shot at the AFCN title. The Saints are good, but like the Rams they have cooled off down the stretch. They are tough at home, but beatable.

If Pittsburgh gets the W, you end up with the dysfuctional Bungles and the Ravens get an up-and-coming Browns team that always is a toughie for Baltimore. They play hard for their fan base, who loathes Baltimore and the Ravens utterly.

As much as it pains me to say it, I could see Mayfield making a statement next week. They'll pull out all the stops. Thanks and cool post! Way I look at it, if we can't beat a top team like the Saints now with everything on the line. Then the Steelers really don't deserve to be in the playoffs. If we don't make it, Good luck to your team Crow! Also Merry Christmas.