PDA

View Full Version : Is AB near the end?

Steelerchad
12-16-2018, 06:41 PM
To me, he just doesn't look right. He's now over 30 and the end usually comes quickly. We've likely seen the best of him and it was great, but I see more decline for the next 2 years and then he's gone.
He bobbled that 2nd pick tonight and on 1 deep ball that Ben badly under threw he didn't make any effort to come back to the ball. He likely picks up a PI if he does as the defender was beat and not looking back.
Just seems a bit lazy this year to me.

stillers4me
12-16-2018, 06:44 PM
Sigh..........no.

How about we take one night and enjoy this win...K?

steelreserve
He's still really good, just the Jerry Rice comparisons may have been a bit premature.

For the first time in a while, we also have a couple of other playmakers who excel at catching those medium-range balls where he makes his living ... not just AB, a slot guy, and a guy who gets one or two long bombs per game.

The offense in general is doing better for it, so I can't complain.

lipps83
I don't think so. I think it is more that JuJu and McDonald have stepped up.

I think on the under throw he probably turned for the ball too late and couldn't adjust to where it was.

Hawkman
12-16-2018, 06:45 PM
Still would rather have him than any other receiver in the NFL. But that’s just me.

fansince'76
12-16-2018, 06:46 PM
If anybody is (finally) starting to show their age, I think it's Brady.

Hawkman
12-16-2018, 06:46 PM
Sigh..........no.

How about we take one night and enjoy this win...K?

This! Especially since it was against the Pats.

Craic
12-16-2018, 06:49 PM
To me, he just doesn't look right. He's now over 30 and the end usually comes quickly. We've likely seen the best of him and it was great, but I see more decline for the next 2 years and then he's gone.
He bobbled that 2nd pick tonight and on 1 deep ball that Ben badly under threw he didn't make any effort to come back to the ball. He likely picks up a PI if he does as the defender was beat and not looking back.

His catch percentage has slipped this year, but not much else has, stat wise. Playerwise, I think we're seeing him double teamed a lot more now and Ben simply has several other players to feed the ball to. Don't forget the injury at the beginning of the year and some small, off field issues. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back strong next year.

cubanstogie
Ben gets everyone involved, they are better when he's not forcing to AB. Washington made some great plays, loved the way he snagged the ball on catch down sideline. He can be good after the catch as well. I agreed with Romo, I wanted them to not get too conservative but Boz did come through. This team can beat anyone, unfortunately it can lose to anyone as well. Im so pumped, screw the Cheats.

Born2Steel
Did AB have a TD catch today with the Pats double teaming him the entire game?

Hawkman
12-16-2018, 06:51 PM

That would be yes

Neversatisfied
12-16-2018, 06:53 PM
I think this shows us that JuJu is primed to take the #1 spot over as AB ages

86WARD
12-16-2018, 06:53 PM
No. Teams are rolling coverage onto him more than ever...double, triple. The Steelers coaches just aren’t creative enough to get him open.

Shoes
12-16-2018, 07:06 PM
If anybody is (finally) starting to show their age, I think it's Brady.

Gronk looks worn out.

DesertSteel
12-16-2018, 07:06 PM
He’s fine. He might never be the #1 WR in the NFL again but he’s got 3-4 more years of 80+ catches for 1100-1200 yards.

Born2Steel
12-16-2018, 07:09 PM
He's on pace to break his own record. I think it is TD catches or passing yards for the season. Or maybe catches for the season. Either way doesn't seem to be diminished too much to me.

steelreserve
12-16-2018, 07:09 PM
Gronk looks worn out.

Great! They can retire and suck each other's dicks together.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-16-2018, 07:12 PM
Still would rather have him than any other receiver in the NFL. But that’s just me. Nope not just you.

steelerdude15
12-16-2018, 07:13 PM
I think Antonio will bounce back next year.

BlackAndGold
12-16-2018, 07:17 PM
He's fine but I doubt he'll ever lead the league in receiving yards again with JuJu becoming a star WR.

AB is still getting open and and has his quickness, it's just he and Ben are not connecting like in years past.

Mojouw
12-16-2018, 07:59 PM
These are the kind of threads that make me question why I even bother.

Ben needs to stop forcing it to AB. It kills the offense.

AB is done.

pczach
12-16-2018, 08:06 PM
AB is still demanding double teams on nearly every play.

No...he isn't done. Players that are done don't need to be double teamed.

When JuJu starts getting double teamed more and AB is in more single coverage, he'll start ripping it up again.

Wait until the team gets a consistent deep threat and third option at WR. They are still feeling the effects of letting Bryant go. It was the right move, but if Washington has turned the corner....look out.

teegre
12-16-2018, 08:13 PM
On one particular third-down play, AB went back & forth in motion... and five guys followed him.

/thread

GoSlash27
12-16-2018, 08:15 PM
No. I don't think AB is done by a long shot. He's the alpha receiver and everyone knows it. Defenses shade to him, and other receivers reap the rewards. He tied his career TD record and we still have more games.

st33lersguy
12-16-2018, 08:32 PM
90 receptions over 1100 yards and 13 TDs in 14 games and someone asks if he's on decline. His numbers would be better had Ben not overthrown him numerous times this year (would at least have reached 100 receptions by now)

Fire Goodell
12-16-2018, 10:46 PM
90 receptions over 1100 yards and 13 TDs in 14 games and someone asks if he's on decline. His numbers would be better had Ben not overthrown him numerous times this year (would at least have reached 100 receptions by now)

A lot of receivers would love to have that kind of year lol. I think AB will be fine. Just a lot more viable options to pass to now, and that's not a bad thing. Juju is establishing himself as a premier NFL receiver, and then you got those guys McDonald, Conner/Samuels, Washington, and now Rogers back.

Steeldude
12-16-2018, 11:39 PM

Brown was probably sulking. He always pouts if he doesn't get big stats

Fire Goodell
12-16-2018, 11:54 PM
Brown was probably sulking. He always pouts if he doesn't get big stats

He's gettin them TouchBrowns this year tho :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-17-2018, 12:17 AM

Yes, he did. Same ole lazy AB. :sarcasm2:

Lady Steel
12-17-2018, 12:20 AM
Yes, he did. Same ole lazy AB. :sarcasm2:

:lol:

Yeah, AB isn't anywhere near being "done." Geesh, how do you people come up with this crap? So annoying.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-17-2018, 12:21 AM
Did I miss something? Does AB have another 1,000 yard receiving season and a franchise high 13TD catches this season and .............the title of this thread is "is he near the end?"

WTF

Lady Steel
12-17-2018, 12:23 AM
Did I miss something? Does AB have another 1,000 yard receiving season and a franchise high 13TD catches this season and .............the title of this thread is "is he near the end?"

WTF

:lol:

When I see stuff like this, I just assume the person is posting from a psychiatric ward. There seems to be a lot of people sharing the same rubber room. :giggles:

Mojouw
12-17-2018, 12:34 AM
I love the whole pouting prima Donna narrative. I question whether people actually pay attention to the game or just see what they want to.

Tonight Brown had a few key blocks. Sure, they were not plant the guy in the turf blocks, but he played hard every down.

Do yourself a favor. Watch him play down in and down out. He plays his role hard every second. First option or decoy, he plays flat out.

Why people want to invent crap to worry about is beyond me.

pepsyman1
12-17-2018, 12:38 AM
You realize that you're asking if a receiver who has 90 receptions, 1100 yards and lead the league with touchdown receptions is done? Seriously? Keep in mind that Juju is also over 90 receptions with over 1200 yards. Along with Vance McDonald and James Conner combining for another 100 catches and 1000 yards between them. NO. AB is not done. Not close

- - - Updated - - -

I love the whole pouting prima Donna narrative. I question whether people actually pay attention to the game or just see what they want to.

Tonight Brown had a few key blocks. Sure, they were not plant the guy in the turf blocks, but he played hard every down.

Do yourself a favor. Watch him play down in and down out. He plays his role hard every second. First option or decoy, he plays flat out.

Why people want to invent crap to worry about is beyond me.

Exactly. One of the hardest working players we have. If Bud Dupree put the effort into his craft that AB does, we'd actually have a worthwhile linebacker on that side.

Fire Goodell
12-17-2018, 01:08 AM
Let's just say there's many NFL teams that'd give up 2 first round draft picks for AB in a heartbeat. And if we were to ever make a trade like that our move would be known as one of the stupidest trades of all time lol :chuckle:

AB will be one of the best of all time, if not, the best when his career is all said and done. Feel free to quote me on that in 6-8 years :)

Mojouw
12-17-2018, 01:28 AM
Leadership can take many forms. Some of what AB does is not. That is true. But ever wonder why every WR that comes through the team is better year in and year out?

But I'm sure that doesn't come from the top guy setting one heck of an example.

Bottom line is if you had to pick one guy to run one route for all the marbles is there another choice?

Rotorhead
12-17-2018, 03:33 AM

Just stop

cold-hard-steel
12-17-2018, 05:06 AM
:coffee:..............:jawdrop2:.................. .......................................:coffee:

tube517
12-17-2018, 05:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4 :chuckle:

Silly thread

EzraTank
12-17-2018, 06:35 AM

I thought the same thing about the underthrown ball, but let's be honest when you're running full speed it's hard to slam the brakes on and come back no matter how old you are.

But as others have said, Juju, McDonald, Eli and even Washington played lights out yesterday. That catch by Washington was the guy I hope we drafted, it was fantastic. And having Eli in as the 4th receiver instead of Switzer who can be tackled by one finger was refreshing.

And I know this is a AB thread, but Samuel's was incredible yesterday. I said it in the GDT I think Conner may be a healthy backup next week.

JayC
12-17-2018, 07:16 AM
"near the end" - no i don't think so. reached full potential/peaked - i think so. doesn't mean he is about to fall off a cliff though. he's still having a great season

i won't be taking him in fantasy football in the top 5 though next year