PDA

View Full Version : What Does Ben R Think and Do the Rooneys Care?

Mojouw
12-10-2018, 07:39 PM
I can't find the post now, but there was a good post about who one could replace Tomlin with if the team fired him. Made a ton of great points about getting a Big 12 offensive mind and several other relevant things. I totally support that idea....EXCEPT...It might be 2-3 years too early.

IF Ben R doesn't want to run some version of the Chiefs offense and REALLY wants to keep running his current system/scheme...how much does that matter? Is that enough to convince the Steelers to run out Tomlin and Fichtner again?

Does the team think about an offensive overhaul at all while Ben is still around? I say, most likely not.

Long story short, if Ben wants Tomlin and Fichtner to stay, I think they likely stay.

Butler falls on the grenade.

Shoes
12-10-2018, 08:44 PM
I can't find the post now, but there was a good post about who one could replace Tomlin with if the team fired him. Made a ton of great points about getting a Big 12 offensive mind and several other relevant things. I totally support that idea....EXCEPT...It might be 2-3 years too early.

IF Ben R doesn't want to run some version of the Chiefs offense and REALLY wants to keep running his current system/scheme...how much does that matter? Is that enough to convince the Steelers to run out Tomlin and Fichtner again?

Does the team think about an offensive overhaul at all while Ben is still around? I say, most likely not.

Long story short, if Ben wants Tomlin and Fichtner to stay, I think they likely stay.

Butler falls on the grenade.

Off the top of my head I would agree but we are in uncharted waters with AJRII. Ben probably has one year left at most and if they don’t make a major change it will be a barf, rinse and barf season again next year, so why let Ben decide.

Team has more issues than meets the eye, I’m all for making the change now, if Ben doesn’t like it he can retire.

AtlantaDan
12-10-2018, 08:59 PM
Off the top of my head I would agree but we are in uncharted waters with AJRII. Ben probably has one year left at most and if they don’t make a major change it will be a barf, rinse and barf season again next year, so why let Ben decide.

Team has more issues than meets the eye, I’m all for making the change now, if Ben doesn’t like it he can retire.

Be careful what you wish for - Ben is undisciplined and fell back into bad gunslinging habits this fall with 13 INTs (for the record the young model QBs Mahomes and Goff each have 11). But few QBs can come off the bench like he did yesterday and drive down the field to take the lead back like that

It was 21 years of bad road between Bradshaw and Ben

Dwinsgames
12-10-2018, 09:07 PM
Be careful what you wish for - Ben is undisciplined and fell back into bad gunslinging habits this fall with 13 INTs (for the record the young model QBs Mahomes and Goff each have 11). But few QBs can come off the bench like he did yesterday and drive down the field to take the lead back like that

True , I drove those bad roads too ... that said if the premise of 1 or 2 more years of Ben is all we would have and had to continue with the shit coaching we are not winning anything anyways so.....

I would like to think we have better than Malone . Stout , Jim Miller to follow up with but who knows ...

if we cant do better than what we are with Ben at this point what difference does it make ( for the liberals out there )

Shoes
12-10-2018, 09:08 PM

Ben will be here one more year max, there won’t be a SB this year, nor next year if big changes aren’t made. I was a Steeler fan through the entire 60’s and just about all my friends were fans of other teams and most of the fans at the games were rooting against the Steelers. I’m not afraid of a rebuilding process.

AtlantaDan
12-10-2018, 09:27 PM
True , I drove those bad roads too ... that said if the premise of 1 or 2 more years of Ben is all we would have and had to continue with the shit coaching we are not winning anything anyways so.....

I would like to think we have better than Malone . Stout , Jim Miller to follow up with but who knows ...

if we cant do better than what we are with Ben at this point what difference does it make ( for the liberals out there )

Not certain how Ben moving on solves the problems on defense, which are the core flaw of this team

Shoes
12-10-2018, 09:33 PM
Not certain how Ben moving on solves the problems on defense, which are the core flaw of this team

No question the D is a big problem, but the offense has had a powerhouse of talent which never bore any mature fruit. I think the problem is team wide, what is needed is a good examination, then surgery.

Mojouw
12-10-2018, 10:54 PM
I guess it also depends on when the team wants to "move" to Mason Rudolph. I don't think he is good enough to push Ben out the door, but who knows what the team is thinking at this point.

Shoes
12-10-2018, 11:04 PM
I guess it also depends on when the team wants to "move" to Mason Rudolph. I don't think he is good enough to push Ben out the door, but who knows what the team is thinking at this point.

I just hope they are thinking. :chuckle:

Mojouw
12-10-2018, 11:06 PM
I just hope they are thinking. :chuckle:

I think that is where we part ways. I am all aboard the Ben R in 2019 train. For better or worse --not like I really have any idea.

EzraTank
12-11-2018, 08:40 AM

Butler falls on the grenade.Someone posted about replacing Butler with the guy from Wisconsin that coached TJ Watt.

I think that is the first step. There is nothing wrong with our offense and if we could put together a defense that could stop a team when needed and actually produce some take-aways our offense would be more than enough to win another Superbowl.

I think Ben could and might play 3 more years. Rivers is the same age and doesn't appear to be slowing down. Brady & Brees are both older and look like they could easily play 3+ years.

Dwinsgames
12-11-2018, 09:07 AM

it doesnt .... BUT my point is this ... we are staring at 8-7-1 in the face , that is not good enough

how many similar seasons have we had ? ( several )

how many playoff games have we won in the last half dozen years with a stacked offense ? ( damned few )

so if we can not win with this coaching staff . this front office ..... make the changes if someones feelings get hurt so be it pull up your big boy pants or get the hell out of the way we are not paying hundreds of million dollars a year to be average we are paying it to win Lombardi's

Dwinsgames
12-11-2018, 09:21 AM
also not sure I would call the defense the core flaw of the team , certainly it has a big part in that but so does Mike Tomlin , his clock management ( or lack there of ) cost us 35 seconds on the last Raider scoring drive ... sitting with 2 time outs in his pocket he lets that time run off the clock ... how big is that time on our final drive esp when Ben was 25 of 29 vs the Raiders def .... sounds to me like a likely TD and a win instead of a FG attempt and a loss

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-11-2018, 09:23 AM

Agreed, Ben moving on doesn't help the fact that the defense is giving up big drives at the end of games, cannot get pressure on the QB with 4 rushers and uses ILB's to cover opposing team WR's.

What it would do is free up some money to spend on other positions and create a leadership void that can be filled by somebody based on leadership qualities and not seniority. I don't think Ben goes anywhere for another year or 2, but I am optimistic that Mason Rudolph could be the next QB the Steelers need and he could use another season or 2 as the backup.

EzraTank
12-11-2018, 10:05 AM
how many playoff games have we won in the last half dozen years with a stacked offense ? ( damned few )

We put up 42 points last year against the Jags (who had a top 3 defense). Our defense the last two years has been an absolute embarrassment.

How many teams lose a playoff game (at home) when they put up 42 points?

If we had just a middle of the road defense last year we win #7. If Butler isn't fired after this season I don't know what to say.

Dwinsgames
12-11-2018, 10:28 AM
We put up 42 points last year against the Jags (who had a top 3 defense). Our defense the last two years has been an absolute embarrassment.

How many teams lose a playoff game (at home) when they put up 42 points?

If we had just a middle of the road defense last year we win #7. If Butler isn't fired after this season I don't know what to say.

and who does Tomlin fire the offensive Coordinator who helped put up 42 points and not the defensive coordinator who helped allow 45 ....

so there is that !

AtlantaDan
12-11-2018, 10:35 AM
and who does Tomlin fire the offensive Coordinator who helped put up 42 points and not the defensive coordinator who helped allow 45 ....

so there is that !

Butler got a pass last year because the defense dropped off first when Haden broke his leg in the Colts game then when the Steelers had no plan to address the Shazier catastrophe. Not justified but explicable.

OTOH the QB and Munchak (who withdrew from consideration for a HC job after Haley was not brought back) were among those who loathed the OC. And FWIW a lot of the points in the Jax game were Ben going schoolyard to chuck it deep to Bryant and AB rather that due to the masterful offensive schemes of Haley.

Butler needs to go but so did Coach Todd

fansince'76
12-11-2018, 10:46 AM

The Dolphins have been waiting for another franchise QB since Marino. Marino retired almost 20 years ago.

Outside of breaking the bank and renting Peyton Manning for a couple of seasons in his twilight years, the Broncos have been waiting for another franchise QB since Elway. Elway retired almost 20 years ago.

And how many honest-to-goodness, bona fide franchise QBs are there in the NFL now? Not many. Most teams are paying top dollar for journeyman QBs at best.

The odds are not in the Steelers' favor. I hope Rudolph is the answer when Roethlisberger hangs them up.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-11-2018, 11:09 AM

so there is that !

Woah! Is this somewhat of a defense of Todd Haley?

I don't think I ever thought that would happen here. If the Steelers scored 40 points in a game it was all Ben, AB, #26. If the Steelers lost a game or only scored 28, it was Haleys fault.

AtlantaDan
12-11-2018, 11:18 AM
Woah! Is this somewhat of a defense of Todd Haley?

I don't think I ever thought that would happen here. If the Steelers scored 40 points in a game it was all Ben, AB, #26. If the Steelers lost a game or only scored 28, it was Haleys fault.

Haley’s body of work in leaving the Chiefs and Steelers on bad terms then getting canned midway through his first season in Cleveland supports the proposition that if there is someone who gets to play the victim card it is not Coach Todd

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-11-2018, 11:46 AM
Haley’s body of work in leaving the Chiefs and Steelers on bad terms then getting canned midway through his first season in Cleveland supports the proposition that if there is someone who gets to play the victim card it is not Coach Todd

Good OC with abrasive personality. That is pretty apparent.

The post looked like by saying that the Steelers let Haley go, but kept Butler that they got the wrong guy.....which shocked me. As an OC, I take Haley over Arians or Fichtner, but he couldn't coexist with Ben.

fansince'76
12-11-2018, 11:52 AM
The Steelers offense is scoring more now (28.2 ppg) than at any time during Haley's tenure. Just saying.

Seeing the occasional QB sneak on 3rd-and-inches instead of a low-percentage long bomb is a refreshing change as well, IMO.

Bingo. Seems to me the common denominator in all those instances was Haley. But some folks will still blame Ben for being "difficult."

NCSteeler
12-11-2018, 11:55 AM
I think(hope) they will clean house in the defensive side. I expect fitchner and Tomlin are safe and I absolutely think that has something to do with the Ben time line. Also I don't think fitchner holds Ben accountable but I don't know how well be would respond to that at this point in his career. If they clean up the defense we can win.

This is what bothers me. This year when we score it's more than not been some big play some unusual play stuff you just can't count on. Our regular play design and long drive ability is pretty marginal

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-11-2018, 12:11 PM
The Steelers offense is scoring more now (28.2 ppg) than at any time during Haley's tenure. Just saying.

Seeing the occasional QB sneak on 3rd-and-inches instead of a low-percentage long bomb is a refreshing change as well, IMO.

Bingo. Seems to me the common denominator in all those instances was Haley.

Yeah, I just think of the Denver and Jacksonville debacles so far this season. QB sneak Ben vs JAX for no gain and turn the football over on downs, then first and goal from the Denver 3 and passes including a RPO from the 3 yard line for an INT?? Total abandonment of the run game because the OC is really the QB's caddy isn't the way to operate IMO.

I remember a couple seasons ago against the Bengals, where the Steelers were running #26 to the left side on a counter with DeCastro pulling and just beat up the Bengals defense and the clock. Not the way to score 40 points a game, but some commitment to the run game opens up the pass and wears down a defense. Steelers do none of that any more, but instead their defense is on the field a lot more this season getting beat down.

IMO, Fichtner's terrible gameplanning vs the Jags almost cost the game, the abandonment of the run vs the Broncos and Chargers cost the Steelers those games and likely the AFC North title.

Dwinsgames
12-11-2018, 12:19 PM
My point is this if you are going to fire the OC who helped you put up 42 points vs the #3 def in the league in the playoffs and you LOSE the game and fire him and not fire the DC too .... well you have evaluation issues and I do not care that you are down 2 defensive starters ....

I would keep 2 guys on the current staff thats it ... Saxson and Munch the rest can all go jump in lake Erie for all I care ...

I would also oust the scouting department who has not found me a corner since Ike Taylor even though we have spent 7 selections between round 1 and 3 at the pos a pair of 4's and several 5's-7 ... sure we had a couple so so guys ... but nobody worthy of calling him a #1 CB and honestly probably nobody that would have been a 2 on most teams

EzraTank
12-11-2018, 01:31 PM
The Dolphins have been waiting for another franchise QB since Marino. Marino retired almost 20 years ago.

Outside of breaking the bank and renting Peyton Manning for a couple of seasons in his twilight years, the Broncos have been waiting for another franchise QB since Elway. Elway retired almost 20 years ago.

And how many honest-to-goodness, bona fide franchise QBs are there in the NFL now? Not many. Most teams are paying top dollar for journeyman QBs at best.

The odds are not in the Steelers' favor. I hope Rudolph is the answer when Roethlisberger hangs them up.

And the funny thing is Manning didn't even deliver them a Superbowl, his defense did. He was horrible in the Seahawks blowout of Denver and then basically a footnote of his former self in their win his retirement year.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I just think of the Denver and Jacksonville debacles so far this season. QB sneak Ben vs JAX for no gain and turn the football over on downs, then first and goal from the Denver 3 and passes including a RPO from the 3 yard line for an INT?? Total abandonment of the run game because the OC is really the QB's caddy isn't the way to operate IMO.

I remember a couple seasons ago against the Bengals, where the Steelers were running #26 to the left side on a counter with DeCastro pulling and just beat up the Bengals defense and the clock. Not the way to score 40 points a game, but some commitment to the run game opens up the pass and wears down a defense. Steelers do none of that any more, but instead their defense is on the field a lot more this season getting beat down.

IMO, Fichtner's terrible gameplanning vs the Jags almost cost the game, the abandonment of the run vs the Broncos and Chargers cost the Steelers those games and likely the AFC North title.

Agree. Look at the Seahawks last night. They have a very mediocre offense but played the perfect grinding game against a good defense. They asked Pete Carrol when he decided to go to the running game early in the season and his answer was so simple, "it gave us the best chance to win each week." Wow, not rocket science, no overthinking.

steel striker
12-11-2018, 01:36 PM
It's time for a change I hate to say it Tomlin needs to go with Danny Smith & Butler promote Munchek. Last week was the last straw for losing to the Raiders not playing Ben when he could have went in.

ALLD
12-11-2018, 01:59 PM
The disaster on Oakland is on coaching. They gambled the on their D which is a known weakness. Ben can be a Jekyll and Hyde sometimes, but man- what has happened to the coaching? Too bad for the people who pay good money to watch it live.

fansince'76
12-11-2018, 02:10 PM
I would also oust the scouting department who has not found me a corner since Ike Taylor even though we have spent 7 selections between round 1 and 3 at the pos a pair of 4's and several 5's-7 ... sure we had a couple so so guys ... but nobody worthy of calling him a #1 CB and honestly probably nobody that would have been a 2 on most teams

But then you risk having a scouting department that can't draft receivers to save their lives. See New England as a prime example.

In light of this, I'm willing to give the scouting department a pass pending better coaching of the defense in general. Better coaching did wonders for the OL.

SteelMember
12-11-2018, 02:18 PM
But then you risk having a scouting department that can't draft receivers to save their lives. See New England as a prime example.

In light of this, I'm willing to give the scouting department a pass pending better coaching of the defense in general. Better coaching did wonders for the OL.

...and the coach can also shit can the idea from the scouting department. Just because they look at a gut doesn't mean that's who we pick... they have plenty of input in the decision.

teegre
12-11-2018, 05:47 PM
If Haley had not been fired, Munchak was going to leave.

Keeping Munchak was the correct decision.

#Haleyisanasshole

Dwinsgames
12-11-2018, 06:06 PM
If Haley had not been fired, Munchak was going to leave.

Keeping Munchak was the correct decision.

#Haleyisanasshole

link ?

teegre
12-11-2018, 06:59 PM
link ?

There is no concrete evidence of this; mostly just the deduction that can be made because Munchak cancelled his interview with the Cardinals right after Haley was fired. IMO, the timing is a huge indicator (of Munchak not wanting to work with Haley).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-coaching-rumors-steelers-todd-haley-out-mike-munchak-turns-down-cardinals-interview/

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-11-2018, 07:19 PM
- - - Updated - - -

Agree. Look at the Seahawks last night. They have a very mediocre offense but played the perfect grinding game against a good defense. They asked Pete Carrol when he decided to go to the running game early in the season and his answer was so simple, "it gave us the best chance to win each week." Wow, not rocket science, no overthinking.

The Seahawks have lost a lot of talented players, but I give Carrol a lot of credit for finding that winning formula. To your point, the Seahawks ran the football 42 times yesterday and while they weren't lighting up the scoreboard, it gives them a good chance to win instead of throwing it 50 times a game.

86WARD
12-11-2018, 07:50 PM
The Seahawks have lost a lot of talented players, but I give Carrol a lot of credit for finding that winning formula. To your point, the Seahawks ran the football 42 times yesterday and while they weren't lighting up the scoreboard, it gives them a good chance to win instead of throwing it 50 times a game.

And last year they couldn’t run the ball worth two shits...

Dwinsgames
12-11-2018, 08:04 PM
There is no concrete evidence of this; mostly just the deduction that can be made because Munchak cancelled his interview with the Cardinals right after Haley was fired. IMO, the timing is a huge indicator (of Munchak not wanting to work with Haley).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-coaching-rumors-steelers-todd-haley-out-mike-munchak-turns-down-cardinals-interview/

to each his own there , but I doubt a guy turns down a HC interview because he is now more comfortable in his job as a line coach .... but that's just me

AtlantaDan
12-11-2018, 09:39 PM

Mark Kaboly brought this up in his chat (paywalled) in The Athletic today.. Sounds like the Steelers had reasons other than keeping Ben happy to not bring Coach Todd back.

Talking to Munch he enjoys just being a coach and not a head coach. That might change but it doesn’t seem like that right now. Funny thing is he would’ve left last year if Haley stayed around. And we see what happened there

https://theathletic.com/705433/2018/12/10/live-12-11-steelers-chat-with-mark-kaboly/

(https://theathletic.com/705433/2018/12/10/live-12-11-steelers-chat-with-mark-kaboly/)

Istina
12-11-2018, 09:49 PM

I think you let Ben decide about Ben because he's earned that respect over the years and at this point he's playing as well as he ever has so until he hits the wall like Manning and he wants to keep playing, you let him play.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone posted about replacing Butler with the guy from Wisconsin that coached TJ Watt.

I think that is the first step. There is nothing wrong with our offense and if we could put together a defense that could stop a team when needed and actually produce some take-aways our offense would be more than enough to win another Superbowl.

I think Ben could and might play 3 more years. Rivers is the same age and doesn't appear to be slowing down. Brady & Brees are both older and look like they could easily play 3+ years.

I think the rules favoring quarterbacks is what is giving these guys a chance to play longer. As long as Ben's doesn't fail him, he should be able to play at a level similar to this year for a few more years, IMO.

EzraTank
12-12-2018, 06:12 AM
I think you let Ben decide about Ben because he's earned that respect over the years and at this point he's playing as well as he ever has so until he hits the wall like Manning and he wants to keep playing, you let him play.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the rules favoring quarterbacks is what is giving these guys a chance to play longer. As long as Ben's doesn't fail him, he should be able to play at a level similar to this year for a few more years, IMO.

Agree. If Ben's arm stays healthy he could easily play another 3+ years.

Dwinsgames
12-12-2018, 09:07 AM
I do not think anyone is advocating to shove Ben out the door .... BUT ........

If it is me I do not let him dictate how as an organization we handle the coaching staff or front office ...

he is an employee not an owner

AtlantaDan
12-12-2018, 09:38 AM
I do not think anyone is advocating to shove Ben out the door .... BUT ........

If it is me I do not let him dictate how as an organization we handle the coaching staff or front office ...

he is an employee not an owner

Not all employees are created equal - in business (particularly smaller organizations) the most important employees in many instances have great input into how the organization operates. As his career has progressed Ben has become a more important employee than he was when AJRII got tired of seeing the organization’s biggest investment depreciating at an accelerating rate by getting beat up and fired Arians

The recurring story line I initially bought has been the Steelers got rid of Coach Todd solely because he could not get along with Ben - turns out Haley was on bad terms with others, notably Munchak, who credibly has been reported to have said I am gone if Haley stays - so I guess Munchak was also guilty of throwing his weight around regarding a coaching change even though he is just an assistant coach :noidea:

With the clock running out on Ben’s career promoting from within for the O-coordinator to avoid an overhaul of the offense was a lot more defensible than promoting from within after LeBeau was let go from a defense in decline

teegre
12-12-2018, 09:47 AM
Not all employees are created equal - in business (particularly smaller organizations) the most important employees in many instances have great input into how the organization operates. As his career has progressed Ben has become a more important employee than he was when AJRII got tired of seeing the organization’s biggest investment depreciating at an accelerating rate by getting beat up and fired Arians

As Bill Parcells once said: “All players are created equal... some are just created more equal than others.”

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-12-2018, 09:52 AM
Agree. If Ben's arm stays healthy he could easily play another 3+ years.

That is cool and all if Ben plays until he is 39 years old, but do you really think at this point in his career he is capable of leading the team to winning another Super Bowl??

If he walks away at any point, I'm fine with it. I personally hope that Mason Rudolph works out and is ready by 2020 to assume the Steelers QB role. He may not be the guy, but I hope that he is, because it would be nice if the QB of the future is on the roster already.

EzraTank
12-12-2018, 09:58 AM
If we fixed our defense, there is no reason Ben can't win another Superbowl.

Shoes
12-12-2018, 10:00 AM
That is cool and all if Ben plays until he is 39 years old, but do you really think at this point in his career he is capable of leading the team to winning another Super Bowl??

If he walks away at any point, I'm fine with it. I personally hope that Mason Rudolph works out and is ready by 2020 to assume the Steelers QB role. He may not be the guy, but I hope that he is, because it would be nice if the QB of the future is on the roster already.

My feelngs exactly.

AtlantaDan
12-12-2018, 10:39 AM

At least as capable as the alternative unless Mason Rudolph is the next Patrick Mahomes and can step in immediately - given that we saw how the #2 QB who beat out Rudolph as the backup played on Sunday good luck with that

Of course if Ben plays through 2020 and Rudolph becomes the starter in 2021 he will be in the last year of his rookie contract as a third round pick as the Steelers need to decide to keep him (assuming they do not apply the franchise tag - that always goes smoothly)

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-12-2018, 10:44 AM
If we fixed our defense, there is no reason Ben can't win another Superbowl.

Maybe, but I think his TD -INT ratio and attitude towards throwing INT's will hamper those aspirations, even with a top 5 NFL defense. He is basically a similar version of Old Brett Favre, who still thinks he is the 25 year old gunslinger, but is actually a 36 year old gunslinger that is more prone to throwing INT's than TD's, when trying to play the hero.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-12-2018, 10:54 AM
At least as capable as the alternative unless Mason Rudolph is the next Patrick Mahomes and can step in immediately - given that we saw how the #2 QB who beat out Rudolph as the backup played on Sunday good luck with that

Of course if Ben plays through 2020 and Rudolph becomes the starter in 2021 he will be in the last year of his rookie contract as a third round pick as the Steelers need to decide to keep him (assuming they do not apply the franchise tag - that always goes smoothly)

Dobbs isn't going to amount to much and we saw that on Sunday when called upon. He has flaws in his technique, arm strength, etc that don't lead him to being accurate in the short to intermediate passing game, or throwing in tight windows.

Rudolph showed glimpses of footwork, arm strength and accuracy in the preseason that make me very optimistic. I recall him throwing a skinny post to JuJu for a TD between the CB and Safety, which looked like an NFL throw that he fit in at the top of his drop and held the safety briefly with his eyes. I also see at times that he has a hitch in his throwing motion of opening his left shoulder early, before throwing the football. That tips off CB's to break on the ball and decreases velocity. I think that can be coached up.

I don't think Rudolph is the next Mahomes and will progress that fast. I think he is more of a stronger armed Kirk Cousins that needs to work on some mechanics and get some NFL reps.

Fire Goodell
12-12-2018, 10:59 AM
The disaster on Oakland is on coaching. They gambled the on their D which is a known weakness. Ben can be a Jekyll and Hyde sometimes, but man- what has happened to the coaching? Too bad for the people who pay good money to watch it live.

Good for all these sub .500 teams we keep dropping games to. It's like we're the charity team of the NFL

AtlantaDan
12-12-2018, 11:32 AM
Dobbs isn't going to amount to much and we saw that on Sunday when called upon. He has flaws in his technique, arm strength, etc that don't lead him to being accurate in the short to intermediate passing game, or throwing in tight windows.

Rudolph showed glimpses of footwork, arm strength and accuracy in the preseason that make me very optimistic. I recall him throwing a skinny post to JuJu for a TD between the CB and Safety, which looked like an NFL throw that he fit in at the top of his drop and held the safety briefly with his eyes. I also see at times that he has a hitch in his throwing motion of opening his left shoulder early, before throwing the football. That tips off CB's to break on the ball and decreases velocity. I think that can be coached up.

I don't think Rudolph is the next Mahomes and will progress that fast. I think he is more of a stronger armed Kirk Cousins that needs to work on some mechanics and get some NFL reps.

I get the frustration with Ben and have posted about his brazenly owning the "sometimes gunslingers get shot" persona this season being a problem. I also agree Rudolph may be good but nothing about him at this point screams out next franchise QB.

But since we are not dealing with Marino taking over for David Woodley or Mahomes for Alex Smith (higher level replacement and lower level incumbent than a Rudolph for Ben switch) the closest analogy to moving on from Ben now I see is Rodgers for Favre. In addition to Mason Rudolph probably not showing Rodgers level talent, in that case Favre allegedly had "retired" before being traded to the Jets (after he wanted to be traded to the Vikings and the Packers refused) and by 2008 the Packers needed to get a look at Rodgers as a starter as he was entering the 4th year of his 5 year rookie deal.

So I cannot recall a situation where a future HOF QB still playing at a high level has been dumped for an unproven backup who has three more years to run on his rookie deal.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-12-2018, 12:16 PM
So I cannot recall a situation where a future HOF QB still playing at a high level has been dumped for an unproven backup who has three more years to run on his rookie deal.

I don't think the Steelers will dump Ben. I think they let him play out his 2019 contract, but I am not sure they look to sign 38 year old Ben to a contract in 2020.

Ben isn't going to lead a team to another SB win, so why not turn the QB role over to somebody else in 2020.

AtlantaDan
12-12-2018, 12:28 PM
I don't think the Steelers will dump Ben. I think they let him play out his 2019 contract, but I am not sure they look to sign 38 year old Ben to a contract in 2020.

Ben isn't going to lead a team to another SB win, so why not turn the QB role over to somebody else in 2020.

I suppose it depends whether you think a team looking at a rebuild across the board in the coming years should get on with it by spending a few years in the basement to get higher draft picks (IMO without Ben this current roster is about a 4-12/5-11 team) and see what it has in Rudolph or should try to remain competitive since IMO an aging Ben will still be better than Mason Rudolph trying to learn the game behind an O-line in the middle of a total rebuild.

If the tanking option is selected AJRII probably should go all in and get rid of Tomlin as well. Not certain if the Rooneys are wired that way.

Mach1
12-12-2018, 12:48 PM
I'm not so sure Tomlin is capable of handling a total rebuild.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-12-2018, 01:39 PM
I suppose it depends whether you think a team looking at a rebuild across the board in the coming years should get on with it by spending a few years in the basement to get higher draft picks (IMO without Ben this current roster is about a 4-12/5-11 team) and see what it has in Rudolph or should try to remain competitive since IMO an aging Ben will still be better than Mason Rudolph trying to learn the game behind an O-line in the middle of a total rebuild.

If the tanking option is selected AJRII probably should go all in and get rid of Tomlin as well. Not certain if the Rooneys are wired that way.

Steelers have good O line talent setup for future. A good RB, some talented WR's and a mix of young defensive players like Tuitt, Hilton, Davis, Watt, Hargrave, Edmunds, Sutton etc. I don't think its a tank job and if you have a QB like a young Kirk Cousins(who I think Rudolph is) on a rookie salary, then you have room to play in Free Agency for more talent.

Personally, without Ben in 2 seasons, the Steelers will be perfectly situated to play football with a talented O line, playmakers like AB, JuJu, Conner, Samuels, Washington and a TE drafted. Defensively as mentioned there is a core group that can be good. I personally think a game manager type QB can get that team to 7-9, while an average QB can get that team to 9-7 with a balanced attack.

IMO, Fichtner is running this offense as ride or die with Ben and the old gunslinger is getting shot more than the young gunslinger would have. If Fichtner relies more on the pro bowl O linemen and some other playmakers not named Ben, then I think the Steelers have 2 more W's than they do currently.

Edman
12-12-2018, 03:40 PM
The Steelers are in for some dark times whether Ben remains or not.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This current squad is not winning a Super Bowl. 2017 was their last chance, and they couldn't beat a team with trashfire at QB who won't even sniff the playoffs this year. From here on, it's the occasional tease, the occasional glimmer of hope (Like the six-game winning streak) but ultimately won't get anywhere (Blowing winnable games to the Broncos, Raiders, and Chargers). They lack the extra stuff that makes champions. This team will be good enough to get on highlight reels and dance routines, but when it comes to getting the job done, they won't do it. That is the legacy being forged on the 2010's Steelers.

Ben at this stage in his career is too erratic and spotty in his QB play. He plays great, then makes the boneheaded turnover. He's brilliant one week, horrible/mediocre the next. Now that Ben was good last week, I expect him to be erratic Sunday. Combine that with a phased out/nonexistent running game and a wholly average Defense who can't generate turnovers or make plays and you have seasons like this. Always good, but not good enough in any aspect to win big.

The coaching is an absolute mess. Ben or no Ben, Mike Tomlin is merely an average coach.

silver & black
12-12-2018, 06:46 PM
I'm not sure you want to hear from a non Steelers fan, but I'll give my .02 anyway.

Ben is a very, very good QB.... probably #4 right now, after Brady, Brees and Rodgers. Personally, I would take him over the other 3. He's big. He's accurate, He's a tough as nails, old school FOOTBALL PLAYER.

I think Steelers fans EXPECT too much from their team and players because of past success. The NFL is full of very good players. It also has other good teams other than the Steelers. I understand the expectations ( I'm a 51 years Raiders fan.... I remember how good they were). There isn't much that separates Superbowl winners from non winners.

Look at it this way........ you have a competitive team almost every year. There are other franchises that aren't competitive most years, let alone every year. You are fans of a special team... enjoy it! It won't last for ever!..... nothing does.

Butch
12-13-2018, 03:37 AM
The Seahawks have lost a lot of talented players, but I give Carrol a lot of credit for finding that winning formula. To your point,is the Seahawks ran the football 42 times yesterday and while they weren't lighting up the scoreboard, it gives them a good chance to win instead of throwing it 50 times a game.

You mean the same guy who lost a Superbowl because he refused to run from the 1 yard line?

Butch
12-13-2018, 04:39 AM
Steelers have good O line talent setup for future. A good RB, some talented WR's and a mix of young defensive players like Tuitt, Hilton, Davis, Watt, Hargrave, Edmunds, Sutton etc. I don't think its a tank job and if you have a QB like a young Kirk Cousins(who I think Rudolph is) on a rookie salary, then you have room to play in Free Agency for more talent.

Personally, without Ben in 2 seasons, the Steelers will be perfectly situated to play football with a talented O line, playmakers like AB, JuJu, Conner, Samuels, Washington and a TE drafted. Defensively as mentioned there is a core group that can be good. I personally think a game manager type QB can get that team to 7-9, while an average QB can get that team to 9-7 with a balanced attack.

IMO, Fichtner is running this offense as ride or die with Ben and the old gunslinger is getting shot more than the young gunslinger would have. If Fichtner relies more on the pro bowl O linemen and some other playmakers not named Ben, then I think the Steelers have 2 more W's than they do currently.

Wow he's only played in a few pre-season games and you already have him slated as a kirk cousins guy. You may very well be right about him, but pre-season is a world of difference from actual game day action. I hope that Mason is the next great QB, but until he plays a game that matters the jury is still out. It is more likely that he is not that guy. Speaking of cousins he hasn't even gotten to a SB let alone win it.

Keep in mind that Jim Kelly was a great QB who never won the big game. Ben is a Great QB who knows how to win, and those types do not grow on trees. Countless QBs come in as the next great only to flame out 4 or 5 years later. If you are lucky they may win you a single SB. Ben has gotten us to 3 and won 2 and if he never goes to another i will consider myself lucky to have had him as our QB. My money is on Ben will be missed when he is gone warts and all.

You can spend all the money you want on surrounding talent but if you don't have the right QB you aint gonna do shit. Not only the right one but the right one for your team. Rodgers may be a great QB but he's only won a single SB. At this point same can be said of Brees, and Rivers has never even been. Marino only got to 1 and he was one of the best to play the game. It's not easy to get to the SB let alone win it.

NCSteeler
12-13-2018, 08:29 PM

I don't think Rudolph is the next Mahomes and will progress that fast. I think he is more of a stronger armed Kirk Cousins that needs to work on some mechanics and get some NFL reps.So given perdormance in previous week. Does Rudolf get a helmet and Dobbs sees the bench?

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-14-2018, 12:46 AM
You mean the same guy who lost a Superbowl because he refused to run from the 1 yard line?

Yes, that guy is making a playoff team out of a bunch of mediocre talent right now. The proverbial making lemon-aid out of Lemons.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-14-2018, 12:51 AM
So given perdormance in previous week. Does Rudolf get a helmet and Dobbs sees the bench?

No, I don't think so. Rudolph is still a rookie that hasn't seen any NFL reps and likely still has some mechanics issues that can be improved. Does anybody really think this team can win the SB right now? So they sure aren't going to win it with a backup who's best asset is his running ability and a Rookie that hasn't seen anything more than 4 preseason games. I still am optimistic that Rudolph will emerge from next summer training camp as the backup QB.

FrancoLambert
12-14-2018, 08:34 AM
I'm not sure you want to hear from a non Steelers fan, but I'll give my .02 anyway.

Ben is a very, very good QB.... probably #4 right now, after Brady, Brees and Rodgers. Personally, I would take him over the other 3. He's big. He's accurate, He's a tough as nails, old school FOOTBALL PLAYER.

I think Steelers fans EXPECT too much from their team and players because of past success. The NFL is full of very good players. It also has other good teams other than the Steelers. I understand the expectations ( I'm a 51 years Raiders fan.... I remember how good they were). There isn't much that separates Superbowl winners from non winners.

Look at it this way........ you have a competitive team almost every year. There are other franchises that aren't competitive most years, let alone every year. You are fans of a special team... enjoy it! It won't last for ever!..... nothing does.

You are so right, we are a spoiled bunch.
What I don’t get is this, if you believe Ben may be the fourth best QB in the game today, why would you take him over the three you rank ahead of him?

silver & black
12-14-2018, 06:36 PM
You are so right, we are a spoiled bunch.
What I don’t get is this, if you believe Ben may be the fourth best QB in the game today, why would you take him over the three you rank ahead of him?

I would take him over the other 3 because he is a more complete player, IMO. Rodgers is probably the most gifted/skilled QB playing right now. That is again just my opinion. Brady plays well in the system he's in. Brees would do well anywhere with protection.

Ben can do what the others can't, IMO. He can extend plays and make something out of nothing. He can take a hit and get up and do it again. He can throw the ball down field accurately most of the time............ I just feel he's more of an old school, tough football player, which appeals to me. He reminds a lot of Stabler.... just bigger.