PDA

View Full Version : Fire Butler...Hire Leonard

Mojouw
12-06-2018, 12:57 PM
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21425869/jim-leonhard-wisconsin-defensive-whiz-kid

I don't think he wants to leave, but I'm fairly serious on this. I try and make this happen.

He runs a 3-4.
He makes it work in the pass wacky college environment with low rated recruits.
He gets kids fundamentally and assignment sound in a year or less.
They turn the ball over.
When they have pass-rushers, they shut people down.
Made TJ Watt a star.

He won't be a fountain of innovation or likely run a defense that consistently dominates opponents, but he isn't an outdated stubborn coach like Butler is revealing himself to be. Leonard is forced to defend much of the stuff that is spreading across the NFL like wildfire each week in college and he does it with a defense who rarely has the best players on the field.

Shoes
12-06-2018, 01:00 PM
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21425869/jim-leonhard-wisconsin-defensive-whiz-kid

I don't think he wants to leave, but I'm fairly serious on this. I try and make this happen.

He runs a 3-4.
He makes it work in the pass wacky college environment with low rated recruits.
He gets kids fundamentally and assignment sound in a year or less.
They turn the ball over.
When they have pass-rushers, they shut people down.
Made TJ Watt a star.

He won't be a fountain of innovation or likely run a defense that consistently dominates opponents, but he isn't an outdated stubborn coach like Butler is revealing himself to be. Leonard is forced to defend much of the stuff that is spreading across the NFL like wildfire each week in college and he does it with a defense who rarely has the best players on the field.

and I'll add one more point. Keep Tomlin's nose out of the defense.

Mojouw
12-06-2018, 01:15 PM
and I'll add one more point. Keep Tomlin's nose out of the defense.

That all depends on who did what. If Tomlin was in anyway responsible for the defense stopping giving up big plays, then he better stay involved. Or if Tomlins shifts towards cover 2 and Cover 3 have helped crank up the pass rush, then keep him involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoes
12-06-2018, 01:36 PM
That all depends on who did what. If Tomlin was in anyway responsible for the defense stopping giving up big plays, then he better stay involved. Or if Tomlins shifts towards cover 2 and Cover 3 have helped crank up the pass rush, then keep him involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you hire a good DC you don't need two hands in the pie. You think Munch needs any help from Tomlin?

Mojouw
12-06-2018, 02:03 PM
If you hire a good DC you don't need two hands in the pie. You think Munch needs any help from Tomlin?

No idea. But I do know that collaboration between HC and Coordinators has worked fantastically all across the league.

Pederson and Riech on offense in Philly. Nagy and Reid on offense in KC. Bellichek and Patricia on defense in New England. That is just off the top of my head.

I also totally see what you are saying. If your DC is a legit answer to the problems your team faces, then let him run his shop. I think it can work either way, as long as the folks involved are clear and communicate well.

Shoes
12-06-2018, 02:28 PM
No idea. But I do know that collaboration between HC and Coordinators has worked fantastically all across the league.

Pederson and Riech on offense in Philly. Nagy and Reid on offense in KC. Bellichek and Patricia on defense in New England. That is just off the top of my head.

I also totally see what you are saying. If your DC is a legit answer to the problems your team faces, then let him run his shop. I think it can work either way, as long as the folks involved are clear and communicate well.

and I think Tomlin would.

st33lersguy
12-06-2018, 02:35 PM
I'm in. Any outside candidate with success as a position coach in the NFL or as a college D coordinator in college is worth trying. Anyone capable of putting a solid defensive system in place or at least not allow for communication breakdowns for over 3 years

AtlantaDan
12-06-2018, 02:39 PM
and I think Tomlin would.

Since Tomlin apparently does not let Butler do that and has been more involved since LeBeau quit
I am not so sure

Unless Tomlin was concerned Butler was too committed to LeBeau schemes that the league had figured out and will no longer be so involved with Butler’s successor :noidea:

Which raises another question - was the only coordinator Tomlin was primarily responsible for being hired/promoted Arians (an in house promotion after Whisenhunt went as HC to Arizona)?

Tomlin was told in his interview LeBeau was staying

AJRII fired Arians and then Coach Todd was interviewed due to family ties to the organization

Butler promised LeBeau’s job when he had other DC offers and stayed

Ben prime mover on Coach Todd being (not hired - fired) and Fichtner promoted

Shoes
12-06-2018, 02:54 PM
Since Tomlin apparently does not let Butler do that and has been more involved since LeBeau quit
I am not so sure

Unless Tomlin was concerned Butler was too committed to LeBeau schemes that the league had figured out and will no longer be so involved with Butler’s successor :noidea:

Which raises another question - was the only coordinator Tomlin was primarily responsible for being hired/promoted Arians (an in house promotion after Whisenhunt went as HC to Arizona)?

Tomlin was told in his interview LeBeau was staying

AJRII fired Arians and then Coach Todd was interviewed due to family ties to the organization

Butler promised LeBeau’s job when he had other DC offers and stayed

Ben prime mover on Coach Todd being hired and Fichtner promoted

That was a huge mistake imo.

ALLD
12-07-2018, 01:46 PM
I remember when lack of offense was the problem with the Steelers. Now their D is schizo and it moves from the DBs to the LBs to S to no real ILB. Lots of splash players that are more icing than cake. No way you can win consistently like that. Just hope they don't embarrass themselves on tv again.