PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Activate OLB Olasunkanmi Adeniyi To 53-Man Roster From IR

Shoes
12-01-2018, 04:05 PM
Happy to see this and also hope Thomas can be signed to the PS.

ThePittsburgh Steelers made a few transactions on Saturday that is sure to make several fans of the team very happy as rookie outside linebacker Olasunkanmi Adeniyi was activated from the team’s Reserve/Injured list as a designated-to-return player.

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/12/steelers-activate-olb-olasunkanmi-adeniyi-to-53-man-roster-from-ir/

st33lersguy
12-01-2018, 04:09 PM
Why did they release their most athletic ILB who also showed promise during the preseason? Should have cut Slowakevich

BlackAndGold
12-01-2018, 04:26 PM
Thomas will be re-signed on the PS. He's been inactive for a few games now.

86WARD
12-01-2018, 04:39 PM
Dupree must be a no go for tomorrow.

BlackAndGold
12-01-2018, 05:25 PM
Dupree must be a no go for tomorrow.

Really worried about his pec injury. Just sucks because he was clearly playing better this season.

pczach
12-01-2018, 06:02 PM
Sad to see Bud injured.

Happy to see Adeniyi make the roster.

Disappointed to see Thomas get released.

Mojouw
12-01-2018, 07:45 PM
Sad to see Bud injured.

Happy to see Adeniyi make the roster.

Disappointed to see Thomas get released.
Thomas will be back on Monday.

HollywoodSteel
12-01-2018, 09:02 PM
Thomas will be back on Monday.

I do not like putting Thomas on the PS. He’s a giant upside project. If I were a bottom feeder team I’d snatch him up to the active roster, develop him, and cut someone who can’t even outplay the 2nd string player on my bottom feeder team. The only hard part is deciding who really is the absolute worst player among my active 53. Probably a 15 way tie.

- - - Updated - - -

At this point, you can’t convince me that all the active linebackers on the Bengals are better than Thomas RIGHT NOW. He could probably start for them.

st33lersguy
12-01-2018, 10:04 PM
I do not like putting Thomas on the PS. He’s a giant upside project. If I were a bottom feeder team I’d snatch him up to the active roster, develop him, and cut someone who can’t even outplay the 2nd string player on my bottom feeder team. The only hard part is deciding who really is the absolute worst player among my active 53. Probably a 15 way tie.

- - - Updated - - -

At this point, you can’t convince me that all the active linebackers on the Bengals are better than Thomas RIGHT NOW. He could probably start for them.

Exactly, you put him at risk of being poached and then who do you have at ILB who has speed and athleticism?

Mojouw
12-01-2018, 11:57 PM
Waivers are 24 hours. That means someone would have to claim Thomas and cut a guy while games are going on Sunday.

That’s not impossible but highly improbable since Thomas wouldn’t contribute to any team at this point. No time to learn a new system.

The most real concern is that he goes unclaimed and doesn’t want to return to be on the PS and goes somewhere else. Again, unlikely as Thomas had choices as an UDFA and judged this as a place he could impact. Nothing’s changed.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-02-2018, 07:08 AM
Why did they release their most athletic ILB who also showed promise during the preseason? Should have cut Slowakevich

Because Thomas is a project that only had 1 good game in which they tailored a defensive package for him to play against other practice squadders. He isn't even at the Steventson Sylvester level.

pczach
12-02-2018, 07:24 AM
Because Thomas is a project that only had 1 good game in which they tailored a defensive package for him to play against other practice squadders. He isn't even at the Steventson Sylvester level.

I can't believe you went all Stevenson Sylvester on him! :chuckle:

teegre
12-02-2018, 08:45 AM
#WallyPipp

Devilsdancefloor
12-02-2018, 12:11 PM

QFT i miss sly.... :P

st33lersguy
12-02-2018, 12:23 PM

Lots of guys come in as projects.
I don't understand with the athleticism and promise in the preseason why you don't try and continue to develop that and improve on that to get a LB needed in today's NFL. Better than keeping a slow LB who has shown nothing outside of the occasional special teams play

Mojouw
12-02-2018, 02:57 PM
Why is this so hard to understand?

1. Matakevich is a special teams mainstay. In fact, he likely could and should be honored for his work on special teams.

2. As best I can tell, waivers is a 24 hour window from the time a player is released. So sometime later on Sunday or early on Monday morning at the latest, Thomas will clear through waivers. Maybe, I am wrong here because the Google machines were not being very helpful.

3. Almost no NFL team is going to seriously consider making roster moves on Sunday. They are a bit busy.

4. Prior to clearing waivers, Thomas has to go on the 53 man roster for any squad that claims him. With so many teams in the hunt, few are going to be willing to devote a roster spot to a rookie LB who will have no time to learn their system and has a rep for being bad at learning things.

5. Once he is through waivers, why would Thomas not choose the team he chose after the draft? The path to playing time in Pittsburgh hasn't exactly gotten any more difficult than it was at the start of the preseason.

Long story short, I will be surprised if Thomas has even bothered to clean out his locker.