PDA

View Full Version : Week 13: Los Angeles Chargers

Edman
11-25-2018, 08:33 PM
Steelers played well in Denver, but shot themselves in the foot too much to win. Moving on. Looking at the schedule, we knew this road trip would be tough. Jacksonville and Denver aren't easy places to play for the Steelers. 1-1 was the most they were going to get.

vs Chargers
@ Raiders
vs Patriots
@ Saints
vs Bengals

The home stretch is here. Five games to go in the regular season, and a red-hot Chargers team is coming to Heinz Field. The last time the Chargers played in Pittsburgh, they were San Diego and it wasn't pretty.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=321209023

We know this team can hang, the real question is will they be able to limit the turnovers and mistakes?

86WARD
11-25-2018, 08:42 PM
Chargers is a must win.

teegre
11-25-2018, 09:18 PM
Chargers are getting the 5th seed.

Whichever team ends up with the 4th seed has to play them in January... which is why getting the #2 (or #3) seed is so huge.

As in: They are rolling!!!

NCSteeler
11-25-2018, 09:29 PM
This is as close to must win as there is. I expect we'll brat chargers really be sloppy at oak but pull out a win. Probably drop to pats at home saints will be a clean blow out, no way they can hang with them on the road the way they played today. stomp the Bengals to end the season. Then host the chargers in the WC, who freaking knows at that point, BUT we could easily fold lose to chargers saints and pats maybe even drop a win and in against Bengals. Ravens could sweep and we ride the pine

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

86WARD
11-25-2018, 09:52 PM
More I think about it, the more this could be a loss. Chargers with Bosa. Defense probably won’t have an answer for Melvin Gordon. Rivers will probably be the best QB they’ve faced to date outside of the way Mahomes is playing...this could get ugly at home...I still think they win, but wouldn’t be surprised if the Chargers took it to them.

Shoes
11-25-2018, 10:18 PM
More I think about it, the more this is a loss. Chargers with Bosa. Defense probably won’t have an answer for Melvin Gordon. Rivers will probably be the best QB they’ve faced to date outside of the way Mahomes is playing...this could get ugly at home...

Maybe they do now.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/25/report-melvin-gordon-has-injury-to-mcl/

NCSteeler
11-26-2018, 07:47 AM
Maybe they do now.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/25/report-melvin-gordon-has-injury-to-mcl/Eckler can be just as dangerous. I expect a shoot out and hopefully home Ben will show up and win the game

Mojouw
11-26-2018, 10:39 AM
Maybe they do now.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/25/report-melvin-gordon-has-injury-to-mcl/

Eckler can be just as dangerous. I expect a shoot out and hopefully home Ben will show up and win the game

Based on how the team struggled with McCaffery and Lindsay, Eckler has every chance of piling up chunks of yardage. Like every other game with this defense, it will be about pressure and the offense handing them a lead. If they can make the Chargers somewhat one dimensional and then pressure Rivers, they have a good chance of winning. If the allow the Chargers to remain in the game and they can run their whole playbook, the defense is going to be in trouble.

Fire Goodell
11-26-2018, 10:41 AM
I think we'll bounce back and win this, the Chargers never really scared me much. I was more worried about dropping games to JAX and DEN cause that's how we roll.

stillers4me
11-26-2018, 10:50 AM

DesertSteel
11-26-2018, 02:34 PM
No Gordon when San Diego rolls into town. Sorry for him, but glad for the Steelers. Big loss for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Steelers 38-35.

GoSlash27
11-26-2018, 04:13 PM
Steelers are the all- around better team. Denver hasn't shaken my faith in their ability to win. Just a matter of cleaning up some slop. They've been historically good at cleaning up their act after a loss.

SteelMayhem72
11-26-2018, 04:13 PM
24-23 either way

st33lersguy
11-26-2018, 10:48 PM
Even without Melvin Gordon, both teams surpass 30.

EzraTank
11-27-2018, 07:26 AM
Chargers is a must win.

Yep. With the Texans on fire and facing a very very weak schedule down the stretch we have to pretty much win out to be seeded higher than #4. I know seeding means little but the #4 seed has a very difficult path to the Superbowl in the AFC this year.

Unfortunately I just don't see it happening with the Pats/Saints/Chargers on the schedule. I feel a 9-6-1 finish and the #4 seed hosting the Chargers.

DesertSteel
11-27-2018, 09:26 AM
Steelers are the all- around better team. Denver hasn't shaken my faith in their ability to win. Just a matter of cleaning up some slop. They've been historically good at cleaning up their act after a loss.
Steelers beat themselves in Denver, which isn't an easy place to play. They'll be fine. After Sunday, 8-3-1 and everybody back on the Super Bowl cruise ship.

tube517
11-27-2018, 10:07 AM
Steelers beat themselves in Denver, which isn't an easy place to play. They'll be fine. After Sunday, 8-3-1 and everybody back on the Super Bowl cruise ship.

Par for the course.

After the blowout of Carolina, this place was quiet for the week.

After the heart attack win vs Jax and the heart attack loss vs DEN, this place is a madhouse... :chuckle:

Mojouw
11-27-2018, 10:28 AM
To talk about the actual game, the Chargers are terrifying.

Mike Williams is not good until Rivers starts throwing jump balls in the endzone, then he is a robotic catch machine. Keenan Allen is the best WR that no one talks about. Ekeler is a starting caliber player for many teams. Joey Bosa is gonna get pressure.

I think the Steelers can win this game, but they will have to turn the ball over zero times and figure out some way to have Sensabaugh not get owned by Williams.

Shoes
11-27-2018, 10:46 AM

Super Bowl? Can't happen without Artie Burns. :chuckle:

Iron Steeler
11-27-2018, 11:11 AM
I am confident, we are home. And I am going to this game will be in the corner of the endzone. So I will make sure my section is loud!

86WARD
11-27-2018, 12:59 PM
To talk about the actual game, the Chargers are terrifying.

Mike Williams is not good until Rivers starts throwing jump balls in the endzone, then he is a robotic catch machine. Keenan Allen is the best WR that no one talks about. Ekeler is a starting caliber player for many teams. Joey Bosa is gonna get pressure.

I think the Steelers can win this game, but they will have to turn the ball over zero times and figure out some way to have Sensabaugh not get owned by Williams.

Justin Jackson may be a better back than Ekeler and a name to watch. I would not be one ounce surprised if Jackson has a huge breakout game against the Steelers this week.

Mojouw
11-27-2018, 01:09 PM
Justin Jackson may be a better back than Ekeler and a name to watch. I would not be one ounce surprised if Jackson has a huge breakout game against the Steelers this week.

I don't know much about Jackson, but you are not alone in your opinion. I have read more than one reports making the case that Jackson is a breakout candidate.

Rotorhead
11-27-2018, 02:18 PM
Chargers are not a lock for the playoffs. They have us, the Chiefs, Ravens and the Broncos (the last one could decide who gets in.). Those are 4 possible losses in their last 5 games.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
11-27-2018, 02:29 PM
I don't know much about Jackson, but you are not alone in your opinion. I have read more than one reports making the case that Jackson is a breakout candidate. If he is fast he will give the Steelers D problems. McCafferty and that Linsday for Denver was running all over them. Yes I know McCafferty gives most D problems.

43Hitman
11-27-2018, 03:52 PM
Who's McCafferty?

11-27-2018, 04:37 PM
Who's McCafferty? He played with the Beaver Brown Band?

11-27-2018, 05:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYDAF6NbgKc

tube517
11-27-2018, 05:38 PM
He played with the Beaver Brown Band?

So he's "dead"?

11-27-2018, 06:04 PM
So he's "dead"? I heard Eddie Lives.

DesertSteel
11-28-2018, 09:56 AM
As of this week...

Ben leads the AFC in passing yards
Conner leads the AFC in rushing yards
Juju leads the AFC in receptions and is second in receiving yards

EzraTank
11-28-2018, 10:18 AM
I heard Eddie Lives.

Nah, he's dead. He's a Boardwalk Angel now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-28-2018, 10:24 AM
As of this week...

Ben leads the AFC in passing yards
Conner leads the AFC in rushing yards
Juju leads the AFC in receptions and is second in receiving yards

WOW! Top QB, WR, RB in the AFC.....Steelers must be doing well.

Any idea how they are doing in red zone efficiency, INT's, Fumbles??

fansince'76
11-28-2018, 11:15 AM
WOW! Top QB, WR, RB in the AFC.....Steelers must be doing well.

Any idea how they are doing in red zone efficiency, INT's, Fumbles??

According to this, 2nd in the league (75.76%, as opposed to 53.03% in 2017):

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

Denver game notwithstanding, anyone who hasn't seen the very clear improvement in red zone efficiency this season since Haley the Wunderkind's departure has either not been paying attention or has been willfully ignoring it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-28-2018, 12:44 PM
According to this, 2nd in the league (75.76%, as opposed to 53.03% in 2017):

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

Denver game notwithstanding, anyone who hasn't seen the very clear improvement in red zone efficiency this season since Haley the Wunderkind's departure has either not been paying attention or has been willfully ignoring it.

That is a good average. I just cant quite figure out how a team with great QB, WR, RB play and Red Zone efficiency isn't still really considered any better than at least 4 other teams in the conference. Chiefs, Patriots, Texans, Chargers all seem to be better and playing better football than the Steelers.

Steelers have the 11th ranked scoring defense and 6th ranked scoring offense in the NFL. I guess that kind of is in line with the likelihood there are 5-7 teams in the NFL better than the Steelers.

Mojouw
11-28-2018, 01:44 PM
That is a good average. I just cant quite figure out how a team with great QB, WR, RB play and Red Zone efficiency isn't still really considered any better than at least 4 other teams in the conference. Chiefs, Patriots, Texans, Chargers all seem to be better and playing better football than the Steelers.

Steelers have the 11th ranked scoring defense and 6th ranked scoring offense in the NFL. I guess that kind of is in line with the likelihood there are 5-7 teams in the NFL better than the Steelers.

Because they don't cause turnovers and give the ball away too much. Their defense has to defend too many short fields and their offense starts on average at like the 25-30 and has to go 70+ yards for points every time. The Steelers put themselves in a position that they have to play mistake free football for entire stretches of games and that is a hard thing to do in the NFL. When they stop turning the ball over you can get games like the Atlanta and Carolina games where it does look easy and Steelers seem to be able to beat anyone...

...so stop turning the ball over?

DesertSteel
11-28-2018, 01:46 PM
It isn't just that Ben takes more chances than those other top team's QBs... it's WHEN he takes those chances. I love being aggressive, but if the play isn't there don't force it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-28-2018, 02:02 PM
Because they don't cause turnovers and give the ball away too much. Their defense has to defend too many short fields and their offense starts on average at like the 25-30 and has to go 70+ yards for points every time. The Steelers put themselves in a position that they have to play mistake free football for entire stretches of games and that is a hard thing to do in the NFL. When they stop turning the ball over you can get games like the Atlanta and Carolina games where it does look easy and Steelers seem to be able to beat anyone...

You are on to something there. But the Steelers have earned the right to turn the ball over as much as they like. At least Ben said he has.

tube517
11-28-2018, 02:57 PM
You are on to something there. But the Steelers have earned the right to turn the ball over as much as they like. At least Ben said he has.

I think Ben said he was "entitled" to turn the ball over as long as Pouncey doesn't push the NT into his pass and AB runs the right route and the Farmer doesn't dive for his perfectly thrown ball :stirthepot: :chuckle:

fansince'76
11-28-2018, 03:10 PM

More like the 10-to-15-yard line after the obligatory holding/block-in-the-back call after pretty much EVERY punt/kickoff. There's a reason a number of us have called for Danny Smith's head for several years now...

Born2Steel
11-28-2018, 05:54 PM

Hasn't been against a murderer's row compiling those stats. Browns x2, Ravens x2, Bengals, Chiefs, Falcons, Jags, Panthers, Buccs, and Broncos. Some good teams maybe but only 1 sure playoff team.

AtlantaDan
11-29-2018, 02:12 PM

“Sometimes those things happen. I’m a quarterback that is going to go out and sling it. You talk about gunslinger or whatever you want to talk about. I’m not going to worry about interceptions. I hate doing them. They bother me. But I’m going to go out and play my game and try to help us win football games.”

In other words, slingers gotta sling and sometimes gunslingers get shot :rolleyes:

Hasn't been against a murderer's row compiling those stats. Browns x2, Ravens x2, Bengals, Chiefs, Falcons, Jags, Panthers, Buccs, and Broncos. Some good teams maybe but only 1 sure playoff team.

Chargers in a similar position

Chargers wins over Bills, 49ers, Raiders (2), Browns, Titans, Seahawks & Cardinals

So whichever team loses Sunday night will be regarded as little more than stacking wins over mostly mediocre teams

fansince'76
11-29-2018, 02:43 PM

Which also pretty much describes the Patriots in (pick a season).

Born2Steel
11-29-2018, 04:36 PM
Which also pretty much describes the Patriots in (pick a season).

EVERY season.

AtlantaDan
11-29-2018, 04:39 PM
Beginning to think Gilbert may not return anytime soon

Safety Morgan Burnett (back), and offensive linemen B.J. Finney (personal reasons) and Marcus Gilbert (knee) missed practice for a second consecutive day. Outside linebacker Bud Dupree (pectoral) was limited after missing Wednesday. Defensive end Stephon Tuitt (elbow) and tight ends Vance McDonald (hip) and Xavier Grimble (concussion) were full practice participants.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/11/29/Steelers-offensive-coordinator-Randy-Fichtner-Ben-Roethlisberger-quarterback/stories/201811290137

(https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/11/29/Steelers-offensive-coordinator-Randy-Fichtner-Ben-Roethlisberger-quarterback/stories/201811290137)

Born2Steel
11-29-2018, 04:40 PM
“Sometimes those things happen. I’m a quarterback that is going to go out and sling it. You talk about gunslinger or whatever you want to talk about. I’m not going to worry about interceptions. I hate doing them. They bother me. But I’m going to go out and play my game and try to help us win football games.”

In other words, slingers gotta sling and sometimes gunslingers get shot :rolleyes:

Chargers in a similar position

Chargers wins over Bills, 49ers, Raiders (2), Browns, Titans, Seahawks & Cardinals

So whichever team loses Sunday night will be regarded as little more than stacking wins over mostly mediocre teams

This season has been a season of feast or famine. There are a lot of really bad football teams this year. Outside of the teams currently competing for their division it is mostly bad teams. Does that make the contenders mediocre? Guess we will find out.

Shoes
11-29-2018, 04:55 PM
I think the winning team will have a Watt on it.

43Hitman
11-29-2018, 07:18 PM
I think the winning team will have a Watt on it.

I see what you did there.

Shoes
11-29-2018, 07:19 PM
I see what you did there.

:chuckle:

teegre
11-30-2018, 07:03 AM
For years, the Chargers would win Sept & October... and then plummet in December. They lost something like the last 5 of 6 in 2014, 2015, & 2016.

But...

They finally had a winning streak to close out 2017.

SUMMATION:
I’m hoping for a return of the 2016 Chargers. :wink02:

tube517
11-30-2018, 07:34 AM
Dupree has a pec injury. That means there is a chance that Alphabet Soup gets activated

BlackAndGold
11-30-2018, 01:14 PM
Dupree has a pec injury. That means there is a chance that Alphabet Soup gets activated

Tough injury to deal with.

AtlantaDan
11-30-2018, 03:28 PM

Shoes
11-30-2018, 04:23 PM
Happy to see Marcus Allen getting on the field.

DesertSteel
11-30-2018, 06:23 PM
Burnett = wasted $

86WARD
11-30-2018, 09:16 PM
Happy to see Marcus Allen getting on the field.

Not really at this stage of the schedule though...lol.

Fire Goodell
11-30-2018, 10:33 PM
I'm surprised they're not going with Dangerfield, they must have faith in the kid

Shoes
11-30-2018, 11:44 PM
Not really at this stage of the schedule though...lol.

Sometimes OJT is the best way!

AtlantaDan
12-01-2018, 09:07 AM
Surprisingly mild weather for an early December night game in Pittsburgh tomorrow - low 50s throughout the game, 10 mph wind, no rain

https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/15241:4:US

HollywoodSteel
12-02-2018, 01:44 AM
Don’t know if anyone posted this yet, but maybe it will boost some confidence.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/27/chargers-steelers-odds-picks-betting-preview

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/27/chargers-steelers-odds-picks-betting-preview

pczach
12-02-2018, 07:04 AM
I'm surprised they're not going with Dangerfield, they must have faith in the kid

Allen has always been a big-time player that seems to step up his game in big moments. He did it throughout his entire college career, and he showed some things in preseason. The team went the way of experience, but IMO Allen has much more potential than Dangerfield ever did.

We all wish he had more experience, but he has to get that experience at some point. They have so many promising young players. We want them to all contribute and succeed now, but most likely next year is the year that all the young talent meshes with the experienced talent along with the infusion of another draft and free agency. IMO, next year is the year....as long as Ben is still able to play at a high level.

Dwinsgames
12-02-2018, 08:17 AM
game moved to the Sunday night game .... ( I am not a fan ) its deer hunting season in Pa .... I should be getting up at 4:30 am to get ready to hunt ..

Edman
12-02-2018, 05:40 PM
Troubling stat.

The Steelers are -7 in turnover ratio the last two weeks and have not forced a turnover since the Panthers game.

That needs to change starting tonight. Rack up those takeaways.

Steeler-in-west
12-02-2018, 07:02 PM
The Chargers May have been beating up on bottom dwellers but we just lost to the broncos who are not a playoff team (their win over the bengals doesn’t mean much to me)

we shouldn’t be taking anyone lightly, specially after last weeks fiasco (and it was a fiasco). We completely gave that game away