PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Confidence Level in this Team for the Playoffs?

Pages : [1] 2

Craic
11-25-2018, 06:31 PM
After last weeks game and then this game, I have very little confidence. They have the talent, and the defense has stepped up. They barely allowed a 100 yard rusher against the top rushing team in the NFL. Denver's offense played mistake free and almost a perfect game.

However, it's the small mental mistakes by the skill positions on offense. Ben and his INTs, Conner and his drops and fumbles, Grimble and his costly fumble today. Switzer even got into the act today.

So, I see this as a one and done team. If they get lucky have a good game, perhaps a two and done team. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't think so.

This team stops itself.

steelerdude15
11-25-2018, 06:34 PM
They should win the division and at least make it as the 3rd seed. I think they'll win in the first round, but probably will lose in the second round.

Mojouw
11-25-2018, 06:34 PM
They should win the division and at least make it as the 3rd seed. I think they'll win in the first round, but probably will lose in the second round.

This seems like a reasonable and likely outcome

steelerdude15
11-25-2018, 06:35 PM

Yeah, its what I predicted at the beginning of the season.

Craic
11-25-2018, 06:37 PM

Perhaps. However, if they come up against a hot team early, it's lights out. Again, not because the Steelers can't match up. They can, and more. It's just that they cannot get out of their own way.

GoSlash27
11-25-2018, 06:39 PM
My confidence level in the team is very high, but my confidence in our ability to make the super bowl is low. This was a must- win for us.

Shoes
11-25-2018, 06:39 PM
The hard part of the schedule coming up. :lol:

EzraTank
11-25-2018, 06:40 PM
Lose in second round in Foxboro.

st33lersguy
11-25-2018, 06:40 PM
Their getting torched by somebody in the postseason. Book it

BlackAndGold
11-25-2018, 06:41 PM
2nd round loss.

Always been the ceiling of the team. Past years are the proof.

cold-hard-steel
11-25-2018, 06:42 PM
You guys go ahead and jump ship,i,m stayin aboard.The dust is hardly even kicked up and i like how some already have it settling.Just sayin.

Neversatisfied
11-25-2018, 06:44 PM
Confidence level is low. Ben is bad on the road and the Secondary is as bad as it's been in the last 10 seasons. James Conner is exhausted and the #2 back is a practice squad guy, the defensive line rarely has a game that it gets consistent pressure. The most concerning is coaching, it's just not good enough.

Rotorhead
11-25-2018, 06:44 PM
My confidence level in the team is very high, but my confidence in our ability to make the super bowl is low. This was a must- win for us.

How is this a must win? We are almost assured a playoffs spot, and honestly not having a bye is probably better considering they always come out slow and rusty after them, and it takes them a half to get going.

Lady Steel
11-25-2018, 06:46 PM
You guys go ahead and jump ship,i,m stayin aboard.The dust is hardly even kicked up and i like how some already have it settling.Just sayin.

I'm with you. I'm not worried, like, at all. They CAN do this!

EzraTank
11-25-2018, 06:47 PM
We needed to win this game. Even with a win head to head versus the Pats we still have the Saints on the road looming. We basically needed to win out and have only one more loss to the Saints to have a legit shot at the #2 seed. Pats have us and the Viking left and we all know how that's going to end.

Lady Steel
11-25-2018, 06:47 PM
How is this a must win? We are almost assured a playoffs spot, and honestly not having a bye is probably better considering they always come out slow and rusty after them, and it takes them a half to get going.

I prefer they not have a bye, as well. Gotta keep the momentum going.

Neversatisfied
11-25-2018, 06:49 PM
This team is far better at home than on the road. This game wasn't a must win but it was a shoulda won.

Craic
11-25-2018, 06:58 PM
Confidence level is low. Ben is bad on the road and the Secondary is as bad as it's been in the last 10 seasons. James Conner is exhausted and the #2 back is a practice squad guy, the defensive line rarely has a game that it gets consistent pressure. The most concerning is coaching, it's just not good enough.

Every value judgment in your post is statistically wrong. Ben has a great road record and suffered his first loss of the season on the road today. The secondary is considerably better than the last ten years, and rates in the top 10 in several categories. They also rank 6th in most passes defended. The defensive line and LBs had more sacks before today than any team in the NFL.

This game was expertly coached. The problem, simply (if flippantly), is too many players not using enough stick'em.

- - - Updated - - -

This team is far better at home than on the road. This game wasn't a must win but it was a shoulda won.

Again, how do you figure that when they've lost more at home than they have on the road?

DesertSteel
11-25-2018, 07:00 PM
My confidence level for the playoffs didn’t change a bit because of this game. It happens. Especially with Ben. Win the division and see what happens. They play better with adversity so a first round bye may actually hurt them.

86WARD
11-25-2018, 07:04 PM
I’m about a 7/10 at the moment. Maybe win one game and lose the second playoff game. They’ll wind up losing in KC as the 4th seed. I’m seeing a 10-5-1 record.

Conner is gassed. At the point that Bell decided not to return, Conner has been a different player. No direct correlation other than timing. Bell returning would’ve been huge for the depth of the position. Anyway, Conner is not blocking as well as he was, he’s losing the ball. He’s not breaking runs, he’s dropping passes. I’m very concerned at this stage about the RB position. He’s running more like Mendenhall than Bell right now.

Iron Steeler
11-25-2018, 07:21 PM
Big ben in the playoffs i don't care what seed. I AM STILL CONFIDENT!

GBMelBlount
11-25-2018, 07:29 PM
I'm with you. I'm not worried, like, at all. They CAN do this!

There are 6 or 8 teams that have a legitimate shot of winning every year.

So while the odds are against us, I feel whether we are 6th seed or 1st, if:

1. We peak at the right time and are healthy.
2. Ben is healthy and in the right frame of mind.

We can beat anyone.

Shoes
11-25-2018, 07:32 PM
They are 8 or 10 teams that have a legitimate shot of winning every year.

So while the odds are against us, I feel whether we are 6th seed or 1st, if:

1. We peak at the right time and are healthy.
2. Ben is healthy and in the right frame of mind.

We can beat anyone.

#2 is the scary part. :chuckle:

Lady Steel
11-25-2018, 07:38 PM
#2 is the scary part. :chuckle:

I have to admit... that is true. :lol:

Hawkman
11-25-2018, 07:43 PM
SUPERBOWL........BOOK IT!

cubanstogie
11-25-2018, 07:46 PM
Todays loss was an aberration. The Steelers gift wrapped an early xmas present. D wasn't dominated although getting gashed in the run game is getting frustrating. Road game in Denver with 4 turnovers, all in other teams territory and 3 in red zone. My confidence is the same. They are a step below Saints, Rams, Chiefs, and could lose or beat Pats, Chargers , Colts or Ravens whoever get in. To get to SB they are going to have to upset 2 teams, and to win it will take a third upset IMO. Unlikely but possible. I really wanted them to run ball on first and goal atleast first 2 downs. Even had they scored way too much time on clock left for Denver. I know they moved the ball in air but in second half I really thought they would run more. Especially up by 7 with ball. This loss made things more interesting and stressful unfortunately. Lots of tough football left.

Lady Steel
11-25-2018, 07:48 PM
SUPERBOWL........BOOK IT!

:applaudit::tt02:

Steelerchad
11-25-2018, 07:49 PM
we just played a near perfect game 2 weeks ago against a likely playoff team in the Panthers.
We have 5 weeks to work out some mistakes.
The defense has come around. If we clean up some mistakes on offense, this team can go deep.
I'm not writing them off yet, especially in the AFC. KC looks the best, but that D is suspect. Pats are always in the conversation, then us. The Pats are more vulnerable than they've been in a long time IMO.

GoSlash27
11-25-2018, 07:54 PM

Rotorhead,
It's because of the seeding. Yes, we're going to the playoffs. The difference is whether we get #2 or #3. If we get #2, NE has to come to us, if we get #3 we have to go to NE. I believe that we can beat NE in Hines Field, but I don't believe we can beat them in Foxboro. We needed this game to control our destiny for that. Now we need help.

*EDIT* Which is not to say that I'm giving up by any stretch. We're going to the playoffs and anything can happen. But our road just got a lot tougher tonight.

bayz101
11-25-2018, 08:07 PM
I don't think I could see myself being a fan if I didn't believe we'd win it all every single year. That's what I've done for 15 years.

I think whether or not we do well in the Playoffs will be decided against the Patriots soon. Have to beat them, no more excuses.

Hawkman
11-25-2018, 08:09 PM
I see us going 4-1 in the last four games, winning the the division and being #2 seed. Jets played NE tough without their #1 draft choice. We play the Chargers strong at home. Raiders are sad, Bengals are...the Bengals. I don’t see us beating the Saints in the the dome.

GBMelBlount
11-25-2018, 08:17 PM
I see us going 4-1 in the last four games, winning the the division and being #2 seed. Jets played NE tough without their #1 draft choice. We play the Chargers strong at home. Raiders are sad, Bengals are...the Bengals. I don’t see us beating the Saints in the the dome.

I see us beating everyone if Ben is healthy and we peak at the right time.

EzraTank
11-25-2018, 08:20 PM
Forget the playoffs for now. We have to get home, fix the issues and get ready for a very talented hot Philip Rivers.

lipps83
11-25-2018, 08:27 PM
get ready for a very talented hot Philip Rivers.

He hit 28/29 today. Unreal.

teegre
11-25-2018, 08:31 PM
It took 4 turnovers, a blocked FG, and three very odd incompletions (that would have been first downs) for the red-hot Broncos to beat the Steelers... in Denver. Seriously. The four turnovers (and the missed FG) created a 27-point differential. This game could just as easily have been 44-24 Steelers.

SUMMATION:
My confidence wasn’t swayed one bit.

15-3-1

86WARD
11-25-2018, 08:44 PM
He hit 28/29 today. Unreal.

He not played three quarters...lol.

vasteeler
11-25-2018, 08:47 PM
My confidence is still pretty high...we usually lose in Denver anyway.

steelreserve
11-25-2018, 08:51 PM
The same flaws we've had all season will still be flaws in the playoffs. We can win any given game, but will have to be very lucky to win three or four in a row against top-level opposition.

Right now we're looking like the #3 seed, so four hands of blackjack. That means a 6% chance of winning it all. Sounds about right.

edit: wait, are we actually a half-game AHEAD of everyone for the #2 seed because of the goddamn tie? I will be dipped in shit. It'd be nice if we could get that, doubles our odds, maybe more if a certain team of cheating ballsack sniffers gets knocked out early.

Craic
11-25-2018, 09:05 PM
Had a good night at church where we kicked off the Christmas season. Came home and jumped on line for a few minutes with Christmas carols ringing in my ears... and then this!

. . . [a] team of cheating ballsack sniffers . . .

And a Merry Christmas to all! Goodnight!

:chuckle:

teegre
11-25-2018, 09:34 PM
The Saints lost to the hapless Buccaneers... at home.

The Saints needed a missed FG and a missed XP by the Browns kicker in order to eke out a win against the Browns... at home.

SUMMATION:
Losses happen to every team. And, the Steelers lost to a very good Denver team... on the road.

NCSteeler
11-25-2018, 09:37 PM
I see us going 4-1 in the last four games, winning the the division and being #2 seed. Jets played NE tough without their #1 draft choice. We play the Chargers strong at home. Raiders are sad, Bengals are...the Bengals. I don’t see us beating the Saints in the the dome.I can see that too, but the way they played today I can also see them going 2-3 in that stretch too

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

teegre
11-25-2018, 09:39 PM
I can see that too, but the way they played today I can also see them going 2-3 in that stretch too

And, THAT is exactly why sports is so exciting.

Butch
11-25-2018, 11:09 PM
This sums up my feelings about this entire thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNzkIgGpsAw

fansince'76
11-25-2018, 11:13 PM
I still have a lot of confidence, although dropping this game probably makes the road a bit harder.

Between Boz's blocked FG, Grimble's brain cramp and Conner's fumble, they left at LEAST 13 (and very likely 17) points on the field. They make those 3 plays and this is a fairly comfortable road win against a team that is actually much better than its record would indicate and this thread more than likely isn't even started.

I'd imagine ball security will be the theme of the coming week in practice.

Steeler-in-west
11-25-2018, 11:53 PM
Sloppy game today doesn’t make me feel confident about this team’s chances in the playoffs but there is still time to redeem themselves the rest of the way.

We need Tuitt back for our run defense and need the secondary to play better than they played today in mile high. Hopefully it was just the altitude that got to a few players out there today.

Lady Steel
11-26-2018, 12:47 AM
This sums up my feelings about this entire thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNzkIgGpsAw

Some people go apeshit after a loss, and I'm all like, "I'm fine." :lol: Bummed, but fine, because I believe. :)

Butch
11-26-2018, 04:00 AM

Some people go apeshit after a loss, and I'm all like, "I'm fine." :lol: Bummed, but fine, because I believe. :)
I get upset just like anyone else, but I am with you these things happen. We are currently in a tough schedule and we may have more moments like today where the team does not play their very best. As Fansince'76 said we left points on the board and that could have been the difference in us walking away with a big win.

All I can say is buckle up and keep your hands inside the cart because the ride aint over yet. Go Steelers!!!

cold-hard-steel
11-26-2018, 05:38 AM

Thats my girl!:bump:

EzraTank
11-26-2018, 06:39 AM
edit: wait, are we actually a half-game AHEAD of everyone for the #2 seed because of the goddamn tie? I will be dipped in shit. It'd be nice if we could get that, doubles our odds, maybe more if a certain team of cheating ballsack sniffers gets knocked out early.

No we are not. The Patriots are 8-3 and we are 7-3-1. They currently hold the #2 seed.

steelerdude15
11-26-2018, 07:21 AM
No we are not. The Patriots are 8-3 and we are 7-3-1. They currently hold the #2 seed.

Not only that, but we dropped all the way to the fourth seed.

EzraTank
11-26-2018, 07:24 AM
Yep. If the Texans win tonight we are officially the 4th seed. That loss was huge. You don't want to be the 4th seed because you're going to have to play the Chargers at home and if you can win that then you travel to the #1 seed.

fansince'76
11-26-2018, 08:46 AM
Yep. If the Texans win tonight we are officially the 4th seed. That loss was huge. You don't want to be the 4th seed because you're going to have to play the Chargers at home and if you can win that then you travel to the #1 seed.

Except there's still 5 games to go...

Craic
11-26-2018, 09:36 AM

Exactly. While my confidence isn't high after the last two weeks, we also have five games to go, and anything can happen in those games. We also play the Pats* so, if we put together a good game, we can climb ahead of them in the standings. Basically, that half-a-game doesn't matter against them because the head-to-head will be the deciding factor (unless we drop another game back from them).

steelerdude15
11-26-2018, 10:00 AM

True, but all 5 will be tough for us. I could see the Steelers getting up to the third seed, but that's it unless they beat the Patriots.

Mojouw
11-26-2018, 10:30 AM
In a sense, I can't get too worked up about any of this. I just do not see a scenario where the Steelers can put together the combined effort it would require to beat the Chiefs (AFC Championship Game) and then Saints/Rams (SB). Playing two perfect games on offense and two games where the pass rush generates 5+ sacks against high level playoff teams is just too much to ask.

Unfortunately, the Steelers are having a really good year when a few teams are having record setting years.

Fire Goodell
11-26-2018, 10:34 AM
Same as before, this is one of those bone-headed games we were bound to have at some point. IMO if we eliminated the mistakes, this game should have been won by a comfortable margin. Likely 10 or 11 wins and division (3 or 4 seed) but no first round bye. I think we'll beat the Patriots but won't have the better record.

Mojouw
11-26-2018, 03:25 PM
The more I think about it, the more I don't see this as a team capable of a deep playoff run.

The stat that tells the tale for me is turnover differential. 2018 defenses are not really stopping anyone from scoring. So it is all about pressure to disrupt the offensive timing (check -- Steelers do that well) and then generating extra possessions for your offense to score more points. That is where the Steelers are terrible.

Take a look:

Rams +11
Saints +8
Pats +5
Chiefs +4

Steelers -7.

That just isn't going to get it done. Even when the Steelers defense was more talented, they struggled in seasons where they didn't cause turnovers. Not sure how to change this stat because not only is the offense near the top of the league in giveaways, the defense is near the bottom in takeaways -- so it isn't just one side of the ball or the other.

DesertSteel
11-26-2018, 03:48 PM
The more I think about it, the more I don't see this as a team capable of a deep playoff run.

The stat that tells the tale for me is turnover differential. 2018 defenses are not really stopping anyone from scoring. So it is all about pressure to disrupt the offensive timing (check -- Steelers do that well) and then generating extra possessions for your offense to score more points. That is where the Steelers are terrible.

Take a look:

Rams +11
Saints +8
Pats +5
Chiefs +4

Steelers -7.

That just isn't going to get it done. Even when the Steelers defense was more talented, they struggled in seasons where they didn't cause turnovers. Not sure how to change this stat because not only is the offense near the top of the league in giveaways, the defense is near the bottom in takeaways -- so it isn't just one side of the ball or the other.
Do you have data showing correlation between regular season turnover differential and super bowl champions?

Fire Goodell
11-26-2018, 04:01 PM
We always seemed to have a talented but accident prone offense and a defense that won't force that many turnovers

Mojouw
11-26-2018, 04:04 PM
Do you have data showing correlation between regular season turnover ratios to super bowl champions?

Sure. It is all right here -- https://www.footballdb.com/stats/turnovers.html?yr=2017&conf=

2017: Eagles +17 4th in the league vs Pats +6 at aoput 8th in the league (due to teams being tied)
2016: Pats +12 and Falcons +11 for 3rd and 4th in the NFL
2015: Panthers first in the league with +20 and Broncos with -4
2014: Pats +12 for 3rd and Seahawks +10 for 4th

So one team with negative turnover differential in the last 4 years made it to the SB and won. That is bucking some long odds. Plus, 2018 kinda changes things. No one is stopping the top 4-6 offenses in the league from scoring. The per game yardage and points averages for the top offenses is ridiculous. Steelers are scoring 28.7 points per game and sit SIXTH in per game average. Prior to this season that kind of per game output would be top 4 at worst and many years first or second.

Every time two well regarded teams take the same field, it ends up as a shoot-out not a defensive struggle. The best defenses are able to provide so far this season across the league are pass pressure to get one or two key 3rd down stops and turnovers. Basically you are hoping for 3-4 stops out of 12 drives at best. Steelers starting field position has been rough all season. Forces the offense to drive the length of the field. Other "elite" playoff teams are getting short fields from their defense creating turnovers. That helps the offense score points. Forces the opposing team to be abandon the run. The pass rush gets more pressure, etc. etc.

If they can not force 1-2 turnovers a game and stop giving the ball away 2-3 times a game, this will not be a long playoff run. Can not give Mahomes, Brady, Rivers, Watson, etc extra chances to beat you. They have an easy enough time doing it already.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
11-26-2018, 04:47 PM
I'm not worried and Romo said this is the most complete team in the NFL.

HollywoodSteel
11-26-2018, 05:55 PM
I really don’t understand the mentality of actually NOT WANTING A PLAYOFF BYE. It makes no sense to me. We have NEVER gone to the super bowl when we’ve had to play Brady in NE. How does anyone think our chances INCREASE by having to play an extra game ( where we can not only lose right there, but it increases the chances for injuries) and then having to beat the #2 and #1 seed on the road.

In 2005 we got lucky with our playoff schedule. Someone else beat NE for us and the only unlikely win was in Indy.

Can we win from the #3 or #4 seed? Of course it’s possible, but it’s straight up WAY harder in every conceivable way than from the #2 seed. How is that even in question with anyone?

And I don’t buy the argument that Ben is suddenly better on the road than at home. The team got better as a group since losing at home to the Ravens, but that does not mean we’re suddenly better on the road. We TIED THE STUPID BROWNS on the road and played AWFUL against the Jags. We totally should have lost that game if not for getting VERY lucky that the Jags suck so bad on offense.

We are not more likely to win on the road in future games than we are at home. Does anyone REALLY not agree with this? Does anyone PREFER a road game to a home game, or really believe there is NO difference?

Anyone???

HollywoodSteel
11-26-2018, 06:01 PM
And sure, I’d love to say we’re gonna win the Super Bowl. But I don’t think it’s fair to judge people’s fan cred for being honest after a horrible loss like this. Chances are we will not go to the Super Bowl with the team playing the way they’ve been playing. Something needs to change. We simply can’t keep losing the TO battle and expect to over come that enough times to get to the Super Bowl. We just aren’t that lucky.

NCSteeler
11-26-2018, 06:08 PM
I still have a lot of confidence, although dropping this game probably makes the road a bit harder.

Between Boz's blocked FG, Grimble's brain cramp and Conner's fumble, they left at LEAST 13 (and very likely 17) points on the field. They make those 3 plays and this is a fairly comfortable road win against a team that is actually much better than its record would indicate and this thread more than likely isn't even started.

I'd imagine ball security will be the theme of the coming week in practice.I don't want to turn this into a hate thread, but I do honestly believe that is where really good coaching changes outcomes. Sloppiest game they have played all year let's assume it's anomaly.

Mojouw
11-26-2018, 06:18 PM
I don't want to turn this into a hate thread, but I do honestly believe that is where really good coaching changes outcomes. Sloppiest game they have played all year let's assume it's anomaly.

How does coaching change either Conner or Grimble's fumble? I am honestly asking. Please describe what a coaching staff could/should do. I mean are you envisioning one of those things from movies where a dude has to carry a ball around all day and everyone else tries to slap it out? Because if you are, that is ludicrous. But if you have a tangible idea...I guess email Tomlin?

I would grant you that the FG block was potentially poor coaching/film study since Denver has attempted to generate blocks this way before with previous success. Alternatively, Danny Smith could've drilled it into their heads and the long-snapper just didn't execute...

Six Rings
11-26-2018, 06:26 PM
After last weeks game and then this game, I have very little confidence. They have the talent, and the defense has stepped up. They barely allowed a 100 yard rusher against the top rushing team in the NFL. Denver's offense played mistake free and almost a perfect game.

However, it's the small mental mistakes by the skill positions on offense. Ben and his INTs, Conner and his drops and fumbles, Grimble and his costly fumble today. Switzer even got into the act today.

So, I see this as a one and done team. If they get lucky have a good game, perhaps a two and done team. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't think so.

This team stops itself.

Craic,

You should have asked this question last week as some replies might have been different.

No, I do not have confidence in this team for the playoffs. In our last nine playoff game played, Tomlin coached teams have only won three of them.

If that sounds bad, two of the wins were vs. the Miami Dolphins back up quarterback Matt Moore, and the other vs the Cincinnati Bengals who self-destructed. No such jokers will be the 2019 AFC playoffs.

- - - Updated - - -

How does coaching change either Conner or Grimble's fumble? I am honestly asking. Please describe what a coaching staff could/should do. I mean are you envisioning one of those things from movies where a dude has to carry a ball around all day and everyone else tries to slap it out? Because if you are, that is ludicrous. But if you have a tangible idea...I guess email Tomlin?

I would grant you that the FG block was potentially poor coaching/film study since Denver has attempted to generate blocks this way before with previous success. Alternatively, Danny Smith could've drilled it into their heads and the long-snapper just didn't execute...

Denver has been very good at blocking kicks. They have guys known to strip the ball. Does that answer your question?

Mojouw
11-26-2018, 06:31 PM
Denver has been very good at blocking kicks. They have guys known to strip the ball. Does that answer your question?

Not at all. Unless we determine that other NFL teams don't strip the ball or attempt to block kicks.

Are you assuming that since the team had two fumbles and a kick blocked that these issues were not addressed in the lead up to the game? I mean, I guess that could be a thing if this team was run by a staff with a track record of losing. It isn't like Marvin Lewis and Hue Jackson are running the show.

I mean read your statement. You imply that since X happened the coaching staff never mentioned or practiced ball security and kick blocking with the players. Is that seriously what you think?

Shoes
11-26-2018, 06:42 PM
527 total yards of offense and 17 points sure don't give me the warm and fuzzy feelings, and to think that 7 of those points came from Boz passing to AV! :chuckle:

NCSteeler
11-26-2018, 06:55 PM

I would grant you that the FG block was potentially poor coaching/film study since Denver has attempted to generate blocks this way before with previous success. Alternatively, Danny Smith could've drilled it into their heads and the long-snapper just didn't execute...So coaching only has to do with the play call the presnap stuff, the best coaches always found a way to make a lousy third string te out preform his abilities. IDK what else to say it's an un measurable element of a coaches game. Grimble openly said he was trying to truck the guy instead of taking the easy cut to a wide open EZ. That is something that can be coached, do your damn job help the team don't worry about making the highlight real. well probably never agree but when players do bone headed crap I tend to blame the coaches.

Steeler-in-west
11-26-2018, 07:00 PM
It was low just after the game. But let’s see how the team rebounds. Ultimately Hard to answer this question until we see how the team finishes out the season, playoff positioning, injuries, who we play, and how we did against the pats, chargers and saints (those three will be good measuring sticks). Even if we won in Denver, the true tests are still to be played

st33lersguy
11-26-2018, 07:03 PM
I don't want to turn this into a hate thread, but I do honestly believe that is where really good coaching changes outcomes. Sloppiest game they have played all year let's assume it's anomaly.

I'd argue the 1st game in Cleveland was sloppier with all those turnovers

Born2Steel
11-26-2018, 07:03 PM
My confidence level is higher today than it was week 1. WHEN they put a gameplan together and execute it this team is unstoppable. I still do not feel this is a SB contender this year based purely on the defense and the LB corps/RCB specifically. This offense can hang 40-50 on any team. That disguises most other warts though. I think this team can and should beat the Pats and Texans. Don't feel confident we have figured out how to stop the Chiefs yet. Wildcard teams(today), we are good enough to beat the Colts, Titans, Chargers, and Ravens. So it can happen just not that confident it will.

Steel Warrior
11-26-2018, 08:31 PM
Playoffs? We might not even make the playoffs. If we go 2-3 ,lose to the Chargers, Pats, and Saints, which I think we will, then we go 9-6-1. If the Ravens and Colts both go 4-1, then they're both 10-6 and we're out. At this point we have to hope one of those teams goes 3-2. But, if we lose to the Chargers, Pats, and Saints then we probably shouldn't be in the playoffs.

steelreserve
11-26-2018, 08:37 PM
Playoffs? We might not even make the playoffs. If we go 2-3 ,lose to the Chargers, Pats, and Saints, which I think we will, then we go 9-6-1. If the Ravens and Colts both go 4-1, then they're both 10-6 and we're out. At this point we have to hope one of those teams goes 3-2. But, if we lose to the Chargers, Pats, and Saints then we probably shouldn't be in the playoffs.

Don't worry, we'll beat all three and lose to the Raiders and Bengals.

AtlantaDan
11-26-2018, 08:46 PM
Hard to see this team stringing three solid performances together with 2 of them likely requiring road wins in New England & KC

Not waking up until after the first quarter will not work against top shelf teams
http://contentmarketingdigest.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Joe-Btfsplk.png

st33lersguy
11-26-2018, 10:44 PM
I predict the Steelers get the no. 4 seed and lose at home in the wildcard to the Chargers after getting torched by them. Best outcome for them is the divisional round and getting torched by the Chiefs instead of the Cheats yet again

Edman
11-27-2018, 05:26 AM
I really don’t understand the mentality of actually NOT WANTING A PLAYOFF BYE. It makes no sense to me. We have NEVER gone to the super bowl when we’ve had to play Brady in NE. How does anyone think our chances INCREASE by having to play an extra game ( where we can not only lose right there, but it increases the chances for injuries) and then having to beat the #2 and #1 seed on the road.

In 2005 we got lucky with our playoff schedule. Someone else beat NE for us and the only unlikely win was in Indy.

Can we win from the #3 or #4 seed? Of course it’s possible, but it’s straight up WAY harder in every conceivable way than from the #2 seed. How is that even in question with anyone?

And I don’t buy the argument that Ben is suddenly better on the road than at home. The team got better as a group since losing at home to the Ravens, but that does not mean we’re suddenly better on the road. We TIED THE STUPID BROWNS on the road and played AWFUL against the Jags. We totally should have lost that game if not for getting VERY lucky that the Jags suck so bad on offense.

We are not more likely to win on the road in future games than we are at home. Does anyone REALLY not agree with this? Does anyone PREFER a road game to a home game, or really believe there is NO difference?

Anyone???

The Steelers had the #2 seed last year and still blew it. To a Jacksonville Team they lost to before and who hadn't been to the postseason in ten years. They also still couldn't beat New England at home. Brady has been dominant at Heinz just as much as he has been at Gilette.

But don't let those facts get in the way of the narrative.

The team who goes far in the postseason is the one who plays the best football when they need to. Get to the dance and we'll see what happens.

Ben's WTF play and horrendous turnovers continues to be a major achilles heel for this team. Limit those and they may have a chance.

AtlantaDan
11-27-2018, 06:12 AM
After the Texans won last night to get to 8-3 I looked at their remaining schedule

They should be favored over Browns, Colts, @Jets, & Jags with probably underdog @ Eagles

Worst case scenario is probably 11-5 & more likely 12-4

Steelers finishing 11-4-1 is probably best case - division win still looks solid since Ravens have @Chiefs and @Chargers

So get ready for a Chargers wild card rematch then hitting the road if they win that

cold-hard-steel
11-27-2018, 06:40 AM
Wow amazing.....i'm almost speechless after reading some of these comments.The seeding has already been assigned,and how many games we will be playing on the road,what teams we will be traveling to,why we already lost,and we might as well not even bother playing any play-off game because we aren't good enough to win one anyway,that is unless we are a lucky team.And we will never win on the road anywhere in the play-offs.........even while being a pretty damn good team on the road.All the games we may have a chance to travel to(depending on luck of course) has been predetermined,with no chance of ANY team playing the ALREADY predetermined games to upset the ALREADY predetermined winner.What a bunch of freakin fair weather fans i'm witnessing.Sometimes i can't believe i follow the same team as some of you analytically skilled fans do.Pathetic to say the least.

p

AtlantaDan
11-27-2018, 06:53 AM
Wow amazing.....i'm almost speechless after reading some of these comments.The seeding has already been assigned,and how many games we will be playing on the road,what teams we will be traveling to,why we already lost,and we might as well not even bother playing any play-off game because we aren't good enough to win one anyway,that is unless we are a lucky team.And we will never win on the road anywhere in the play-offs.........even while being a pretty damn good team on the road.All the games we may have a chance to travel to(depending on luck of course) has been predetermined,with no chance of ANY team playing the ALREADY predetermined games to upset the ALREADY predetermined winner.What a bunch of freakin fair weather fans i'm witnessing.Sometimes i can't believe i follow the same team as some of you analytically skilled fans do.Pathetic to say the leastp

stay classy - it is a fan message board and speculation is part of what goes on here

Perhaps consider if personal attacks on other posters and USING ALL CAPS are going to bring someone around to your point of view

But if it upsets you that much use the ignore function to screen out posters that do not meet your standard :drink:

tube517
11-27-2018, 06:56 AM
The cat is about to be posted in 3....2.....1..... :chuckle:

cold-hard-steel
11-27-2018, 07:25 AM
I don't believe that i singled any ONE person out,and certainly stand by my post.It's my opinion and if it bothers anyone i could care less.I'm not one of those "politically correct"people anyway and i'm proud of it.My post is directed at NO individual on this board or the media.Well maybe thats not true.IT is directed at ALL who ALREADY have the play-off seeding already seemingly played out.And i know otherwise.What maybe 5 games left to play and seeding already planted? Sounds to me i have solid proof that anyone that falls into the preceded-seeding category is just blowing a lot of hot air.

EzraTank
11-27-2018, 07:37 AM
The Texans have the #3 seed to lose at this point. Their remaining schedule is a cake walk (outside of the Colts who are playing well):

Browns (home)
Colts (home)
@ Jets
@ Eagles
Jags (home)

The Colts are playing very well right now but it's a home game for Houston, Eagles and Jags are two teams that are a shell of their former selves, and Jets and Browns both blow.

Even if they go 4-1 down the stretch I just don't see us passing them with our remaining schedule. Let's just make the playoffs at this point and hope it's a snowy/windy cold day when we host the Chargers.

WC: Steelers vs Chargers
DR: Steelers @ KC
AFC Title: Steelers @ New England
Superbowl: Steelers vs Saints!

86WARD
11-27-2018, 08:27 AM
No way this team would defeat the Chargers, Chiefs, Patriots and Saints in a row. Maybe if they had Bell...but as is...nope.

cold-hard-steel
11-27-2018, 09:02 AM
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............to be continued.

EzraTank
11-27-2018, 09:09 AM
No way this team would defeat the Chargers, Chiefs, Patriots and Saints in a row. Maybe if they had Bell...but as is...nope.

I was trying to be optimistic. :)

86WARD
11-27-2018, 09:14 AM
I was trying to be optimistic. :)

Lol. Okay. I’m on board...but my foot is dangling off as we go...

Mojouw
11-27-2018, 09:38 AM
Do you have data showing correlation between regular season turnover differential and super bowl champions?
More here: https://steelersdepot.com/2018/11/steelers-defense-still-searching-for-splash-plays/

EzraTank
11-27-2018, 09:45 AM
More here: https://steelersdepot.com/2018/11/steelers-defense-still-searching-for-splash-plays/

Perfect story. Just look at last year's Superbowl. The Eagles and Pats basically walked up and down the field scoring on each other and the difference in the game was when the Eagles defense came up with the fumble strip/sack recovered by the Eagles.

tube517
11-27-2018, 09:50 AM
https://www.footballdb.com/stats/turnovers.html?yr=2010&conf=&sort=taketot

More stats on takeaways.

Fire Goodell
11-27-2018, 09:58 AM
PLAYOFFS? I just hope we can win a game :chuckle:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/video/2017/11/24/0ap3000000882302_video_cp.jpg

EzraTank
12-02-2018, 06:22 PM
Patriots handle Vikings with ease. 9th straight year of a first round bye if the get another... that's insane.

To pass them we have to run the table and hope the Texans stumble during their cake walk schedule.

fansince'76
12-02-2018, 11:47 PM
Home WC game win as the 4th seed and bounced in the divisional round. And then I root for anyone BESIDES the Patriots.

st33lersguy
12-02-2018, 11:51 PM
This team will be doing what the Raiders and Browns do this season, watch the playoffs from their couches

12-02-2018, 11:55 PM
Patriots handle Vikings with ease. 9th straight year of a first round bye if the get another... that's insane.

To pass them we have to run the table and hope the Texans stumble during their cake walk schedule. Been a different story if the game was in Minnesota . Amazing how the Pats are always scheduled at home against the good teams.

Shoes
12-02-2018, 11:58 PM
527 total yards of offense and 17 points sure don't give me the warm and fuzzy feelings, and to think that 7 of those points came from Boz passing to AV! :chuckle:

then adding tonight's dumpster fire, I expect a one and done at best.

fansince'76
12-03-2018, 12:03 AM
Been a different story if the game was in Minnesota . Amazing how the Pats are always scheduled at home against the good teams.

And that's also why I'm hoping the Chiefs don't stumble and the AFCCG goes through Arrowhead.

86WARD
12-03-2018, 05:34 AM
Home WC game win as the 4th seed and bounced in the divisional round. And then I root for anyone BESIDES the Patriots.

Most likely this. They win against the Raiders and Patriots. Lose to Saints and Bengals. Win against the Chargers, lose in KC.

Then there’s the thought they don’t even win the division...

EzraTank
12-03-2018, 06:51 AM
Been a different story if the game was in Minnesota . Amazing how the Pats are always scheduled at home against the good teams.

Well they have beaten us twice at Heinz the past two years ...

- - - Updated - - -

Most likely this. They win against the Raiders and Patriots. Lose to Saints and Bengals. Win against the Chargers, lose in KC.

Then there’s the thought they don’t even win the division...

I still think the Steelers will surprise us.

We beat the Chargers in round #1, then travel to Arrowhead. The Chiefs losing Hunt is going to hurt them and we shock them (Andy Reid factor). Then the Pats blow us out in Foxboro on their way to tying us for #6.

AtlantaDan
12-03-2018, 07:15 AM
9-6-1 looks like the Steelers record so playoffs no longer a given, even as a wildcard

Better hope Ravens lose to @Chiefs and @Chargers - there are 4 teams at 6-6 (Dolphins, Titans, Colts & Broncos) so one of those could finish 10-6

With the defense falling off best case is beat Chargers (or Chiefs?) in first round rematch then lose the next weekend - I have no confidence in this team winning a road wildcard game

Worst case is stay home after December 30, which probably gets AJR II to demand Butler fired and would get a better draft slot to spend yet another first round pick on a defensive player who might help generate some turnovers

EzraTank
12-03-2018, 07:55 AM
They should be 9-2-1 right now.

1. Blown opportunity in Denver with horrible fumbles costs them 14 points. That's all on the Steelers but they played well enough to win.

2. The officials basically gifted the Chargers 18 points last night with three very bad calls. False start (7 points), clear block in the back on Punt TD (8 points), and the first offside (3 points) on the winning field goal(s).

I'm sticking with my prediction ... We beat the Chargers in round #1, then travel to Arrowhead and win, and get blown out in the AFC Title game in Foxboro ... Pats win #6 over the Rams.

Dwinsgames
12-03-2018, 08:17 AM
I am not sure we even make the playoffs ....

Ravens breathing down our necks now when we had them almost out of contention 2 weeks ago ...

this team has no killer instinct

tube517
12-03-2018, 08:23 AM
I am not sure we even make the playoffs ....

Ravens breathing down our necks now when we had them almost out of contention 2 weeks ago ...

this team has no killer instinct

Yes, they do. They kill themselves.

Crow-Magnon
12-03-2018, 09:06 AM
I'm not making ANY predictions, but I am surprised by the recent turn of events. I thought the AFCN division winner was a done deal, with maybe the Bengals still in the fight come Week 17. I truly thought the Ravens were toast and the Steelers were looking like an easy winner of the division. Man! You can't make this stuff up!

That ending last night was unreal. Not one, not two but three offsides penalties in a row on a FG attempt? That was a brutal way to lose.

I still think the Steelers have the inside track to win the division. Jackson has been a hoot to watch in his first three starts, but has yet to play against a stout defense. Next week at KC may tell the tale. Steelers may have to fly to the West Coast to play da Raidahs, but Baltimore will have to fly to LA to play the Bolts, and after watching last night's game, that will not be easy.

NCSteeler
12-03-2018, 11:50 AM
They should be 9-2-1 right now.

1. Blown opportunity in Denver with horrible fumbles costs them 14 points. That's all on the Steelers but they played well enough to win.

2. The officials basically gifted the Chargers 18 points last night with three very bad calls. False start (7 points), clear block in the back on Punt TD (8 points), and the first offside (3 points) on the winning field goal(s).

I'm sticking with my prediction ... We beat the Chargers in round #1, then travel to Arrowhead and win, and get blown out in the AFC Title game in Foxboro ... Pats win #6 over the Rams.IDK what you're smoking but pass it around. We haven't beaten anyone worth a crap. If we played in NCAA we would have maybe one quality win. We haven't beaten a winning team with exception of Ravens

EzraTank
12-03-2018, 11:59 AM
IDK what you're smoking but pass it around. We haven't beaten anyone worth a crap. If we played in NCAA we would have maybe one quality win. We haven't beaten a winning team with exception of Ravens

I'm just saying our record could easily be 9-2-1. I also said in another post that we've beaten only ONE team with a winning record this year (the Ravens). It shows you how razor thin winning and losing in the NFL is.

Moose
12-03-2018, 12:20 PM
As of right now ..... I have NO confidence in this team. First of all, I can almost see this team slipping by the wayside and letting Baltimore win the division. This team is inconsistent as hell, 5 TD's one game 5 INT the next. Score 23 pts in one half, and score NOTHING in the 2nd half. This type of play WON'T win any SB. This team is poorly coached more times than not. Ben is up and down constantly lately. There's time he seems to be playing with NO attitude or momentum. I love the Black/Gold, but I just don't see them going anywhere after the season....other than home.

DesertSteel
12-03-2018, 04:35 PM
My confidence will be the same at 10-5-1 (my prediction) as it would be if they were 13-3, maybe a little better. This place is Overreaction Central every time the Steelers lose a game or two. They just need to get hot at the right time...

Mojouw
12-03-2018, 04:40 PM
My confidence will be the same at 10-5-1 (my prediction) as it would be if they were 13-3, maybe a little better. This place is Overreaction Central every time the Steelers lose a game or two. They just need to get hot at the right time...

I actually totally agree with that. I think the Steelers are a notch or two below the elite teams for 2018 in raw talent (Chiefs/Rams/Saints) but can beat ANY team in the league if they get hot at the right time.

The first Ben SB team wasn't the most talented team in the playoff field, but they got red hot at the right time.

hawaiiansteeler
12-03-2018, 05:28 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/z9lzt.jpg

teegre
12-04-2018, 06:58 AM

As Chris Collinsworth said: “The Steelers are deadly when they get it going, and they really haven’t got it going yet. Ben is still trying to figure it all out with Conner and Switzer. When (If) they do, they can beat ANYBODY.”

AtlantaDan
12-04-2018, 07:06 AM

A loss is a loss but blowing a 16 point lead when the team has the ball to start the second half and not being able to stop a playoff quality team’s offense once in the second half flashes a lot of warning signs that prompts legitimate concern rather than just overreaction.

86WARD
12-04-2018, 07:40 AM
As Chris Collinsworth said: “The Steelers are deadly when they get it going, and they really haven’t got it going yet. Ben is still trying to figure it all out with Conner and Switzer. When (If) they do, they can beat ANYBODY.”

If he hasn’t figured it out by now, he’s not going to...

There are specific plays that need to be removed from the offensive playbooks and these plays kill drives. The wrap around or shotgun draw to start. The play rarely nets more than two yards per play. Automatic second/third and long. The quick button hook to the TE. Always blanketed and if it’s not, the defender is right there to either make a play or an instant tackle...they are throw away plays that waste downs and get no distance. I’d be willing to bet that on all the three and outs that have occurred, that draw play has been involved in at least 60% of them. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t.

steel striker
12-04-2018, 07:58 AM
It does not look like they will go far and, there is no guarantee they will even win the division at this point. Blowing the last two games and, losing a 16 point lead at home in a game they had total control. I'm usually a positive person but, I have lost a lot of faith in this bunch.

FrancoLambert
12-04-2018, 09:02 AM

It’s not just that we lost a game or two, it’s how we lost the last two games.
We gave away two very winnable games.

Shoes
12-04-2018, 10:48 AM
If he hasn’t figured it out by now, he’s not going to...

There are specific plays that need to be removed from the offensive playbooks and these plays kill drives. The wrap around or shotgun draw to start. The play rarely nets more than two yards per play. Automatic second/third and long. The quick button hook to the TE. Always blanketed and if it’s not, the defender is right there to either make a play or an instant tackle...they are throw away plays that waste downs and get no distance. I’d be willing to bet that on all the three and outs that have occurred, that draw play has been involved in at least 60% of them. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t.

Agreed and don't forget forced throws to benchwarmer, stone cold hands DHB in the EZ while double covered.

DesertSteel
12-04-2018, 10:58 AM
A loss is a loss but blowing a 16 point lead when the team has the ball to start the second half and not being able to stop a playoff quality team’s offense once in the second half flashes a lot of warning signs that prompts legitimate concern rather than just overreaction.
One of the TD's should have been called back. Another was on special teams and another should have been intercepted. Outside of that, the Chargers kicked a FG and that was missed originally.

It’s not just that we lost a game or two, it’s how we lost the last two games.
We gave away two very winnable games.
So you would like their chances better if they'd been dominated instead of beating themselves?

AtlantaDan
12-04-2018, 11:23 AM
One of the TD's should have been called back. Another was on special teams and another should have been intercepted. Outside of that, the Chargers kicked a FG and that was missed originally.

I was not even referring to the punt return. I was referring to 13 plays 88 yards for the first TD (3 third down conversions including on 3rd and 14), 7 plays for 79 yards (was that the TD that should have been called back? :noidea: ) and the final FG drive..

Davis taking out Haden in the end zone was a bad break but the defense once again fell apart in the second half.

DesertSteel
12-04-2018, 11:50 AM
I was not even referring to the punt return. I was referring to 13 plays 88 yards for the first TD (3 third down conversions including on 3rd and 14), 7 plays for 79 yards (was that the TD that should have been called back? :noidea: ) and the final FG drive..

Davis taking out Haden in the end zone was a bad break but the defense once again fell apart in the second half.
The bottom line is that you don't lose for no reason. They were outplayed and outcoached and the officials helped the Chargers out. But the NFL only has 2-3 consistent teams and the Steelers are not one of them. I can easily see the Chargers winning the Super Bowl.

Mojouw
12-04-2018, 12:21 PM
Agreed and don't forget forced throws to benchwarmer, stone cold hands DHB in the EZ while double covered.

I wasn't a fan of this play either. But we tend to evaluate plays in a vacuum. Did it work? Was the result good? If the answer is "No" we then classify it as a bad play or play call. But, I can kinda squint and see the logic of this call in the overall context of the game. Demonstrates to the Chargers that if you are going to put DHB in the game and run him on a "go" route down the sideline, you actually have the confidence to throw it to him. So the Chargers better roll a safety over there and help the CB DHB is about to run by out. In theory, that means you can decoy DHB on future routes and open up the middle of the field for an actual playmaker. Again, this isn't some valiant charge in defense of everything and anything, but I can understand the underlying logic. At least it wasn't on 3rd and short...

Shoes
12-04-2018, 04:10 PM
I wasn't a fan of this play either. But we tend to evaluate plays in a vacuum. Did it work? Was the result good? If the answer is "No" we then classify it as a bad play or play call. But, I can kinda squint and see the logic of this call in the overall context of the game. Demonstrates to the Chargers that if you are going to put DHB in the game and run him on a "go" route down the sideline, you actually have the confidence to throw it to him. So the Chargers better roll a safety over there and help the CB DHB is about to run by out. In theory, that means you can decoy DHB on future routes and open up the middle of the field for an actual playmaker. Again, this isn't some valiant charge in defense of everything and anything, but I can understand the underlying logic. At least it wasn't on 3rd and short...

Brother, you need a vacation. :chuckle:

I have much, much more confidence in James Washington.

GBMelBlount
12-04-2018, 05:07 PM
Confidence Level?

We can beat anyone if our defense gets straightened out and Ben plays to his potential.

Any ideas that might cause me to want to slit my wrists Fire Goodell, 86 Ward and Bng Hell? :chuckle:

Fire Goodell
12-04-2018, 05:49 PM
PLAYOFFS? I just hope we can win a game :chuckle:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/video/2017/11/24/0ap3000000882302_video_cp.jpg

Well, I meant this jokingly before, but after seeing this team literally give away 2 games...

86WARD
12-04-2018, 07:10 PM
It’s not out of the realm of possibility that the Bengals win the division at 9-7...if they win versus the Chargers this weekend, they have a real good shot at running the table.

BnG_Hevn
12-04-2018, 07:13 PM

4 games left, if they lose to Patriots and Saints that means a 9 win season. Ravens could easily overtake them.

GBMelBlount
12-04-2018, 07:19 PM
Thank you. We are doomed...

Craic
12-04-2018, 07:26 PM
https://www.banklawyersblog.com/.a/6a00d8341c652b53ef017616adb883970c-popuphttps://afeatheradrift.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/sky-is-falling.jpg

GBMelBlount
12-04-2018, 07:44 PM
https://www.banklawyersblog.com/.a/6a00d8341c652b53ef017616adb883970c-popuphttps://afeatheradrift.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/sky-is-falling.jpg

Craic, there is nothing I enjoy more than a thread started with the intent to initiate good debate.

You have delivered! :stirthepot:

teegre
12-04-2018, 09:48 PM
My confidence level has not changed one bit. None. Nada. Zilch.

In the Denver game:
-Conner fumbles for no reason
-Grimble is an ass hat
-AB is held on a Ben INT
-Ben throws an awful INT
-Washington jumps for a ball (instead of catching it in stride and waltzing in for a TD)

... and the Steelers still only lost by a TD to a very good Broncos team.

Likewise, in the San Diego game, the Chargers got:
-a TD after a false start
-a punt return TD where two blocks in the back occurred
-an INT bounce into a TD
-supposedly had Haden off-sides on a FG
-a missed TD to a wide open Hunter
-a phantom hold called on Foster which negated a huge run by Conner that converted a first down (but, instead the drive got killed)

...and, the Steelers still only lost by a FG to a very good Chargers team.

SUMMATION:
It took a shitload of flukey plays for those two teams to beat the Steelers.

Mojouw
12-04-2018, 09:55 PM

In the Denver game:
-Grimble is an ass hat
-AB is held on a Ben INT
-Ben throws an awful INT
-Washington jumps for a ball (instead of catching it in stride and waltzing in for a TD)

-an INT bounce into a TD
-a phantom hold called on Foster which negated a huge run by Conner that converted a first down (but, instead the drive got killed)

SUMMATION:

Get out of here with your excuses. Clearly there should be a crisis intervention and at least 3 firings and wholesale benchings. This is the only proper response to losing. Anything else is arrogance and rampant homerism.

Craic
12-04-2018, 10:34 PM

In the Denver game:
-Grimble is an ass hat
-AB is held on a Ben INT
-Ben throws an awful INT

-an INT bounce into a TD

SUMMATION:

While you're correct on both of those. The problem is, we can also say the same thing about the tie. Once is a mistake, twice a coincidence, three times is a pattern. Somehow, something's being missed that is allowing these things to happen. We gotta clean it up whatever it is. I agree we're not as bad as some are making us out to be, but unless we clean this stuff up, we're not going to be as good as we should be, either.

SteelMayhem72
12-04-2018, 10:47 PM
While you're correct on both of those. The problem is, we can also say the same thing about the tie. Once is a mistake, twice a coincidence, three times is a pattern. Somehow, something's being missed that is allowing these things to happen. We gotta clean it up whatever it is. I agree we're not as bad as some are making us out to be, but unless we clean this stuff up, we're not going to be as good as we should be, either.Perfectly said, we have yet to play up to our potential...Carolina game to me was kind of a fluke because I really don't think Carolina was that good to begin with...true test is against good teams

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Shoes
12-05-2018, 12:12 AM
The thing is this team, coaches and players can't pull it together and play 60 minutes of football. When there is a leak in the dike they flounder and throw darts blindfolded. There doesn't seem to be a strong chain of command and I think that includes players and coaches. This has been going on for years. I don't buy we need to just add this player for this position, I've heard this for years about the offense and we've had one of the best in the NFL for many seasons and still flounder like a JV team multiple games each year. To fix it you have to face the fact that there is a problem, push that pride in the river and owner, coaches and players need to go on a retreat and try another way. But that isn't going to happen imo

Fire Goodell
12-05-2018, 12:41 AM
My confidence level is - They're what they have been for years. A consistent #3-6 seed that will always fall short of the super bowl. Yes I get it, they're a good team that has the ability to beat anyone. Just like Martavis Bryant could be the best WR in the league. Will it happen? No, this team it's just proving once again they're the same Steelers that shoot themselves in the foot in crunch time.

Butch
12-05-2018, 06:13 AM

In the Denver game:
-Grimble is an ass hat
-AB is held on a Ben INT
-Ben throws an awful INT

-an INT bounce into a TD

SUMMATION:

THIS EXACTLY!!! and let's add to your list that on that last FG the long snapper moves the ball all 3 times and the refs excuse it by saying "He's done it his whole career, we aren't going to start calling it now", so they not only don't call penalties on them when they should, they make excuses for them when they want to. What a freaking Joke.

86WARD
12-05-2018, 06:20 AM

86WARD
12-05-2018, 06:24 AM
Boswell will most likely contribute to a loss in a playoff game. Guy has 4th worst FG percentage in the league and he’s missed more XPs than any other kicker...lol.

If they can win 3/4 coming up and then get on a hot streak for 4 games...but when was the last time they did that and can they win 7/8 and win the “right” 7?

teegre
12-05-2018, 06:41 AM
THIS EXACTLY!!! and let's add to your list that on that last FG the long snapper moves the ball all 3 times and the refs excuse it by saying "He's done it his whole career, we aren't going to start calling it now", so they not only don't call penalties on them when they should, they make excuses for them when they want to. What a freaking Joke.

Bingo!!!

Apparently, the Chargers’ punt team has been blocking people in the back “their whole career”... which is why the Chargers didn’t get called for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Boswell will most likely contribute to a loss in a playoff game. Guy has 4th worst FG percentage in the league and he’s missed more XPs than any other kicker...lol.

If they can win 3/4 coming up and then get on a hot streak for 4 games...but when was the last time they did that and can they win 7/8 and win the “right” 7?

Last season.

The Steelers won 10 of 11, with the only loss being the “Jesse caught it” game. So... unless Al Riverton intervenes, it can indeed be done.

teegre
12-05-2018, 06:59 AM
While you're correct on both of those. The problem is, we can also say the same thing about the tie. Once is a mistake, twice a coincidence, three times is a pattern. Somehow, something's being missed that is allowing these things to happen. We gotta clean it up whatever it is. I agree we're not as bad as some are making us out to be, but unless we clean this stuff up, we're not going to be as good as we should be, either.

True

In that game, Boz missed an extra point early in the game, and a FG that would have given the Steelers the victory.

COUNTER-POINT:
The pattern is: it takes flukey plays to beat the Steelers. If the Steelers play even slightly-less erratically, they win out (and, if the Steelers play mistake-free, they blow ANYONE out).

FrancoLambert
12-05-2018, 07:16 AM

So you would like their chances better if they'd been dominated instead of beating themselves?

No, I’d like our chances even less...if you’re dominated, you have no chance of winning.

We weren’t dominated, we blew two games...that doesn’t inspire confidence going forward.

AtlantaDan
12-05-2018, 07:20 AM
SUMMATION:

That sword cuts both ways - Chargers and Broncos losses balanced out by last second Jags and Bengals wins

Steelers have played two Super Bowl contenders (Chiefs & Chargers) and one other team currently above .500 at Heinz and lost to all three. Signature win is over a 7-5 team with a QB controversy - the Panthers blowout was fun but like other Thursday night games that was impacted by a team getting behind and saying screw it after a short week to recover.

With two more good teams left (New England & Saints) Steelers once again probably are in the position of hoping Denver loses once and/or the Ravens twice to make the playoffs

No shame in hoping to squeak into the playoffs with above the standard parts on offense balanced out by a defense with major flaws, inability to generate turnovers, a QB who has become a turnover machine, and a RB situation that had little margin for error after a reasonable gamble to squeeze one more productive season out of Bell that did not pan out. The season could have cratered after the Ravens home loss and I give Tomlin credit for rallying the team to stack wins against a soft part of the schedule.

Given that here in Atlanta we have experienced the worst collapse in Super Bowl history and UGA giving up second half leads of 13 & 14 points to Alabama in 2018 I have seen more dispiriting performances than the Steelers doing what they can with what they have.

So for me this season is not a major missed opportunity to get to the Super Bowl like Franco & Rocky being hurt in 1976 or the recurring Cowher AFC championship losses but a flawed team scrambling for a playoff spot.

Hope they make it so I will have a rooting interest in January for something other than rooting against the Patriots.

86WARD
12-05-2018, 07:40 AM
Bingo!!!

Apparently, the Chargers’ punt team has been blocking people in the back “their whole career”... which is why the Chargers didn’t get called for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Last season.

The Steelers won 10 of 11, with the only loss being the “Jesse caught it” game. So... unless Al Riverton intervenes, it can indeed be done.

I have more confidence in last years team.

EzraTank
12-05-2018, 07:48 AM
Seriously if the Steelers could clean up their mistakes they can beat anyone in this league. Look at the Cowboys. They played a near perfect game against the Saints and won holding them to only 10 points (and the Saints got away with a push off on their only TD).

This week is a perfect chance to prove it. The Raiders are horrible. If the Steelers are serious they should blow them out. But will they?

As bad as they've been the last three weeks we easily should have beaten the Broncos and Chargers. Bad turnovers and horrible officiating killed us. We definitely didn't deserve the Jags win but all that said we could easily be 9-2-1 right now and this thread wouldn't exist.

If the team comes out this Sunday and shits the bed they are toast come playoff time. I still think we win our division at 9-5-1 (wins against Raiders/Bengals) and beat the Chargers at home, then KC on the road finally losing (in a blow out) to the Patriots in Foxboro.

Hey it's better than the beginning of the year when our defense couldn't stop anyone. I really thought back then we'd finish 5-10-1.

Butch
12-05-2018, 07:53 AM
That sword cuts both ways - Chargers and Broncos losses balanced out by last second Jags and Bengals wins

Steelers have played two Super Bowl contenders (Chiefs & Chargers) and one other team currently above .500 at Heinz and lost to all three. Signature win is over a 7-5 team with a QB controversy - the Panthers blowout was fun but like other Thursday night games that was impacted by a team getting behind and saying screw it after a short week to recover.

With two more good teams left (New England & Saints) Steelers once again probably are in the position of hoping Denver loses once and/or the Ravens twice to make the playoffs

No shame in hoping to squeak into the playoffs with above the standard parts on offense balanced out by a defense with major flaws, inability to generate turnovers, a QB who has become a turnover machine, and a RB situation that had little margin for error after a reasonable gamble to squeeze one more productive season out of Bell that did not pan out. The season could have cratered after the Ravens home loss and I give Tomlin credit for rallying the team to stack wins against a soft part of the schedule.

Given that here in Atlanta we have experienced the worst collapse in Super Bowl history and UGA giving up second half leads of 13 & 14 points to Alabama in 2018 I have seen more dispiriting performances than the Steelers doing what they can with what they have.

So for me this season is not a major missed opportunity to get to the Super Bowl like Franco & Rocky being hurt in 1976 or the recurring Cowher AFC championship losses but a flawed team scrambling for a playoff spot.

Hope they make it so I will have a rooting interest in January for something other than rooting against the Patriots.

Not sure I would consider what happened in the wins against the bengals and jags as fluke plays rather winning in the closing seconds. To me a fluke play is when the guy with the ball has a clear path for a TD, but instead decides not to take the path of least resistance and ends up not only fumbling the ball but doing so in the endzone so we get a complete reversal of fortunes. For SD it was the interception that was not only lost but ends up bouncing directly to the now open WR for a TD. I guess for me a fluke is a bounce of the ball good or bad. Like a defender being blocked so badly off the line he ends up in the passing lane and gets an Interception.

The bengals game was a last second pass that resulted in a TD but there wasn't anything fluky about it same with Ben's TD it was last second but not really what I would call fluky. Maybe lucky that he was able to cross the goal line after being hit, but not sure I would call that fluky.

Another point is there were at least 3 calls that lead to chargers scores that were not flagged. 1. False start 2. Block in back 3. False start on center for game winning fg tries. Steep odds for any team to over come those types of calls. Add that there was also a bs holding call on our guy and how do you over come all this? Give the chargers all the credit you want but they were on the right side of a badly officiated game. Don't for a minute think this is only a Steelers issue with officiating either. The cowboys vs redskins Thanksgivng game was just as bad.

As for KC we were not playing very good football at that time and we only ended up losing by a TD. We may meet them again in the playoffs. I aint scared, nor am I scared of the pats or the saints who suddenly came down to earth this past weekend. Don't buy the media hype on teams the teams seldom live up to it.

- - - Updated - - -

I have more confidence in last years team.
While the record was better the competition was not. I have much more faith in this year's team. For some reason we just seem to do better with a tough schedule. I could be wrong but I just feel better this year.

pczach
12-05-2018, 08:02 AM

In the Denver game:
-Grimble is an ass hat
-AB is held on a Ben INT
-Ben throws an awful INT

-an INT bounce into a TD

SUMMATION:

You are correct about all of that. This team has been snake bitten with some of the worst luck on a football field I have seen in a while.

I completely agree with everything you said, but there are some underlying problems and some reasons why things are happening IMO.

First: The coaching adjustments need to improve. This is not a "fire Tomlin" statement. This is just seeing coordinators doing things that make zero sense. The decisions Butler makes....particularly late in games just isn't good enough. Covering elite players like Keenan Allen with a LB should be grounds for going to prison for 18 months. We keep seeing this surface nearly every game. It's simply not good enough. This isn't hard. Do what you can to take away the other team's best weapon and make other inferior players beat you. This is football 101. Tomlin sees the same things we do. How is he not grabbing Butler by the lips and saying "If I see a player wearing fifty something on his jersey guarding Keenan Allen one more time, you'll be serving Gatorade for the rest of the season."?

Ben needs to stop throwing the ball to the other team. I know that INT's are going to happen, and that some of those haven't been his fault. I'm talking about the inexcusable INT's like the floater in this last game. You have to see that coverage unflold. He can't just assume James is going to rush. He just had to see James coming off the edge and then let it go. Ben makes incredible plays, but the boneheaded stuff needs to be cleaned up.

I think James Washington needs to play...period. He's not learning anything not playing, and he's not going to improve without playing. Unless there's something else going on behind the scenes with him that hasn't been reported, the team needs that talent on the field and he needs to figure it out. DHB is not, and never will be the answer. They need a consistent deep threat to emerge to create space for everyone else.

I think we are seeing some things surface because of an underlying problem. All we do is concentrate on what we see, but we forget about the why. The defense losing Shazier took away the one playmaker they had on that side of the ball. They added Watt, but we never got to see this year's Watt with Shazier on the field. His loss set this team back. Hargrave is starting to emerge as a disruptive force up front, but they lack players that take away the football. They need those players that create turnovers.

The team's worst fears just occurred as James Conner is injured. They don't have proven quality backups behind him. This is why I'm giving Fichtner a pass for now. There is really no way to correct the situation. Let's hope Conner gets healthy quickly.

Here's where the Bell situation crushed this football team this year. They hoped Bell would come back, and they would be able to have depth at the RB position. I think the lack of running game recently is them trying to preserve Conner a bit. That's the only real explanation for the lack of carries lately. Bell would have been the best backup in the NFL, and they would have been able to optimize both of these guys and not overwork either one of them.

From the financial side of things, Bell took up $14.5 million in cap space that could have been used to get a playmaker or two for the defense. There is still a lot of talent on this team, but the Shazier situation combined with the Bell situation has really limited them this team. There is a lack of quality depth and playmakers on defense.

With all that said, I still think they can get their shit together and make a run. They need to really examine what they are doing schematically defensively in crucial situations, and improve how they attack offenses. They need to play better situational football on both sides of the ball. More guys need to make plays...period. Stay aggressive and put teams away.

I've said it in some other threads, but next year is THE year if Ben is able to play at a high level. They will have lots of cap space as Bell is off the books and Shazier is likely to never play again. They can use that money to sign big free agents or make a huge trade. They can supplement that with another draft, and some of the promising young talent will be a year more experienced and ready to make a difference. This team should be able to build a roster that will carry on beyond Ben.

AtlantaDan
12-05-2018, 08:10 AM
You are correct about all of that. This team has been snake bitten with some of the worst luck on a football field I have seen in a while.

I completely agree with everything you said, but there are some underlying problems and some reasons why things are happening IMO.

First: The coaching adjustments need to improve. This is not a "fire Tomlin" statement. This is just seeing coordinators doing things that make zero sense. The decisions Butler makes....particularly late in games just isn't good enough. Covering elite players like Keenan Allen with a LB should be grounds for going to prison for 18 months. We keep seeing this surface nearly every game. It's simply not good enough. This isn't hard. Do what you can to take away the other team's best weapon and make other inferior players beat you. This is football 101. Tomlin sees the same things we do. How is he not grabbing Butler by the lips and saying "If I see a player wearing fifty something on his jersey guarding Keenan Allen one more time, you'll be serving Gatorade for the rest of the season."?

Ben needs to stop throwing the ball to the other team. I know that INT's are going to happen, and that some of those haven't been his fault. I'm talking about the inexcusable INT's like the floater in this last game. You have to see that coverage unflold. He can't just assume James is going to rush. He just had to see James coming off the edge and then let it go. Ben makes incredible plays, but the boneheaded stuff needs to be cleaned up.

I think James Washington needs to play...period. He's not learning anything not playing, and he's not going to improve without playing. Unless there's something else going on behind the scenes with him that hasn't been reported, the team needs that talent on the field and he needs to figure it out. DHB is not, and never will be the answer. They need a consistent deep threat to emerge to create space for everyone else.

I think we are seeing some things surface because of an underlying problem. All we do is concentrate on what we see, but we forget about the why. The defense losing Shazier took away the one playmaker they had on that side of the ball. They added Watt, but we never got to see this year's Watt with Shazier on the field. His loss set this team back. Hargrave is starting to emerge as a disruptive force up front, but they lack players that take away the football. They need those players that create turnovers.

The team's worst fears just occurred as James Conner is injured. They don't have proven quality backups behind him. This is why I'm giving Fichtner a pass for now. There is really no way to correct the situation. Let's hope Conner gets healthy quickly.

Here's where the Bell situation crushed this football team this year. They hoped Bell would come back, and they would be able to have depth at the RB position. I think the lack of running game recently is them trying to preserve Conner a bit. That's the only real explanation for the lack of carries lately. Bell would have been the best backup in the NFL, and they would have been able to optimize both of these guys and not overwork either one of them.

From the financial side of things, Bell took up $14.5 million in cap space that could have been used to get a playmaker or two for the defense. There is still a lot of talent on this team, but the Shazier situation combined with the Bell situation has really limited them this team. There is a lack of quality depth and playmakers on defense.

With all that said, I still think they can get their shit together and make a run. They need to really examine what they are doing schematically defensively in crucial situations, and improve how they attack offenses. They need to play better situational football on both sides of the ball. More guys need to make plays...period. Stay aggressive and put teams away.

I've said it in some other threads, but next year is THE year if Ben is able to play at a high level. They will have lots of cap space as Bell is off the books and Shazier is likely to never play again. They can use that money to sign big free agents or make a huge trade. They can supplement that with another draft, and some of the promising young talent will be a year more experienced and ready to make a difference. This team should be able to build a roster that will carry on beyond Ben.

Great post

Rotorhead
12-05-2018, 09:09 AM
4 games left, if they lose to Patriots and Saints that means a 9 win season. Ravens could easily overtake them.

And the Ravens still have the Chargers and the Chiefs to play. Which ever team gets an upset wins the division.

EzraTank
12-05-2018, 09:15 AM
At this point I don't even care if we lose to the Pats at home. We aren't getting anything higher than the #4 seed at this point simply because the Pats and Houston have cupcake schedules remaining and are too far ahead of us.

I actually want the #4 seed now. As I said above we would get the Chargers at home and we hopefully get a different set of officials and win. KC on the road without Kareem Hunt and playoff Andy Reid coaching.

If we lose to the Pats at home it should motivate them to play better in Foxboro come late January! Then we get revenge on the Saints in the Superbowl. Hey it could happen. I also could be abducted by a spaceship full of supermodels that need me to procreate with them to save their planet (it could happen I saw the same scenario on Cinemax once)!

DesertSteel
12-05-2018, 09:25 AM
#PlayoffsStartSunday!

pczach
12-05-2018, 10:00 AM
#PlayoffsStartSunday!

Unleash hell????

Crow-Magnon
12-05-2018, 10:11 AM
And the Ravens still have the Chargers and the Chiefs to play. Which ever team gets an upset wins the division.

Good point. This Sunday may go a long way towards who ultimately wins the division. IF the Ravens beat the Chiefs, and IF the Steelers lose to Oakland, that would leave only one "losable" game left for Baltimore (Chargers) and two winnable games (Bucs and Browns), while Pittsburgh will still face two tough games with the Saints and the Pats.

Once again, that's not a prediction, just a "what if". Pittsburgh should, IMO, crush the Raiders towards their goal for winning the AFCN title. And the Ravens should lose to a potent Chiefs offense playing at home in front of a noisy crowd. But "what ifs" ain't worth a plug nickel until the final whistle blows.

EzraTank
12-05-2018, 10:18 AM
Good point. This Sunday may go a long way towards who ultimately wins the division. IF the Ravens beat the Chiefs, and IF the Steelers lose to Oakland, that would leave only one "losable" game left for Baltimore (Chargers) and two winnable games (Bucs and Browns), while Pittsburgh will still face two tough games with the Saints and the Pats.

Once again, that's not a prediction, just a "what if". Pittsburgh should, IMO, crush the Raiders towards their goal for winning the AFCN title. And the Ravens should lose to a potent Chiefs offense playing at home in front of a noisy crowd. But "what ifs" ain't worth a plug nickel until the final whistle blows.

If the Steelers let the Ravens pass them they clearly don't deserve to be in the playoffs to begin with.

AtlantaDan
12-05-2018, 10:18 AM
Unleash hell????

Nobody in 1492 believed Columbus could discover America. Everybody said the Earth was flat.
But did Columbus quit?
He just kept going until he found land. There’s a lot of people who will tell you, you can’t do it. But that doesn’t mean you don’t try.

:thumbsup:

pczach
12-05-2018, 10:21 AM
Nobody in 1492 believed Columbus could discover America. Everybody said the Earth was flat.
But did Columbus quit?
He just kept going until he found land. There’s a lot of people who will tell you, you can’t do it. But that doesn’t mean you don’t try.

DesertSteel
12-05-2018, 10:31 AM
But did Columbus quit?

What time is the pep rally tonight?

Shoes
12-05-2018, 10:54 AM

That IF is a very real possibility since the Steelers have been down this road before. The Steelers lost to a 2-14 Raider team in 2006 and a 4-12 Raider team in 2012 & 2013. The problem still isn't fixed, if you don't see it as a problem it will continue to repeat itself.

Rotorhead
12-05-2018, 01:05 PM
Well, we are 1/2 game ahead now, we control our own destiny at this point, if we lose the lead, it was our own fault. I still think we win the division. As for playoffs, I think this is the year we would be able to beat the Pats, so the possibility of playing them is fine with me.

Craic
12-05-2018, 01:13 PM

See . . .

This is why I hate you. Stupid reasonable post with logic and insight!!!

Fire Goodell
12-05-2018, 02:58 PM
Unleash hell????

You know, the time Tomlin said 'unleash hell' was right before we had a game vs a shitty Raiders squad, and that didn't turn out well lol.

- - - Updated - - -

If the Ravens can beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead they certainly deserve the division. Especially if we don't beat the Raiders. I don't care if we have to play those fuckers on the moon, losing to a team that shitty is just inexcusable for any squad with playoff aspirations.

Lady Steel
12-06-2018, 12:41 AM
Oh, ye of so little faith. I'm going to kick you all in the nuts. :giggles: I believe in Christmas miracles.

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/56753897_display_image.jpg

Mach1
12-06-2018, 09:08 AM
:rofl2:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/32/44/95/fb_img10.jpg

Craic
12-06-2018, 11:12 PM
Okay, here's something to ponder.

In the 2005 season, the Steelers were 7-2 heading into the Nov. 20th weekend. They lose three in a row and are now 7-5. They finish the season 4-0 and go on to win the SB. This year, they were 7-2-1 heading into the Nov. 25th weekend. Now, they too have lost two games.

Am I saying they're SB bound? No. I am saying, however, that taking the long view, this team has all the possibility in the world of going all the way. I still am not confident because they tend to mess things up at just the right (wrong?) moment but, there is precedent!

And, as for defense . . . in all reality, the defenses are pretty equal, statistic wise. In 2005, the defense was 4th in total yards, 25th in allowed scoring, and 13th in turnovers. The 2018 Steelers right now are 7th in total yards, 25 in allowed scoring, and 25th in turnovers (that number not being the same).

The place where there's a big difference is in third and fourth quarter scoring. That 2005 allowed a total of 14 third-fifth quarter TDs (5th=OT). This team has already allowed 20. However, with the change of rules, i wonder how much of that is indicative of the league rather than the defense by comparison of 2005.

86WARD
12-07-2018, 09:07 AM
If the Steelers win big on Sunday (Carolina win big), they win the Super Bowl.

Craic
12-07-2018, 09:58 AM
If the Steelers win big on Sunday (Carolina win big), they win the Super Bowl.

Are you thinking along the lines of needing their Bettis-in-the-snow-bulldozing-Urlacher-for-the-win moment for this year to put everything behind them? If so, I'd probably agree. A big win like that tends to put a stake in the ground. Then, they can talk about before and after, and focus on the after as reality. Funny how sports psychology works.

fansince'76
12-07-2018, 10:21 AM

In the 2005 season, the Steelers were 7-2 heading into the Nov. 20th weekend. They lose three in a row and are now 7-5. They finish the season 4-0 and go on to win the SB. This year, they were 7-2-1 heading into the Nov. 25th weekend. Now, they too have lost two games.

Pimply Dan, where are you?

tube517
12-07-2018, 10:44 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/steelers/comments/7ircu7/the_myth_the_man_the_legend_pimplydan/

https://imgur.com/lYVjx

AtlantaDan
12-07-2018, 12:24 PM

In terms of similarities, the 38-31 loss to the Bengals in December 2005 that dropped the Stelers to 7-5 certainly had the benchmarks (special teams breakdown, Ben INTs, penalties) of a 2018 Steelers home loss :coffee:

Roethlisberger threw a 20-yard touchdown pass to Hines Ward midway through the third quarter to tie the score at 24-24, but the Bengals rookie Tab Perry then returned the kickoff 94 yards. That gave the Bengals the ball on Pittsburgh's 3. Two plays later, Rudi Johnson ran in for a touchdown.

Roethlisberger was intercepted twice in the second half, thwarting any chance the Steelers had of rallying....

The Steelers cut Cincinnati's lead to 38-31 with three minutes remaining and Pittsburgh got the ball back with 2:26 left. But the Steelers were called for two penalties

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/05/sports/football/for-once-bengals-are-looking-down-at-the-steelers.html

SteelMember
12-07-2018, 03:27 PM

they need to start wining some games and they can no lose any more games ~ pimpdylan (aka, pimplydan) :nerd:

12-08-2018, 04:19 PM
I think we will win the remainder of the games and if they lose one it will be to the Saints. Actually now That I think about it. KC was really the only team that out right beat The Steelers and that was early in the season and now they are weaker without Hunt. The other losses and the tie The Steelers pretty much beat themselves and some help from the refs.

Craic
12-09-2018, 07:01 PM
Well . . . how about now?

Mojouw
12-09-2018, 07:02 PM
Well . . . how about now?

I still think they can beat anyone in the league on any given day. They just need the bounces to go their way to do it.

This has been about the darndest series of events I have ever seen.

NCSteeler
12-09-2018, 07:07 PM
They suck bad, coaching is horrible. This team is loaded with talent and they flop flop.flop. losers. They may beat the Bengals

Craic
12-09-2018, 07:14 PM
I still think they can beat anyone in the league on any given day. They just need the bounces to go their way to do it.

This has been about the darndest series of events I have ever seen.
I do have to admit, it is unbelievable how things have gone. Every single bounce seems to go against the Steelers. Especially last week. But, slipping on the field goal? Really? It's not even like he planted his foot and it slipped. From what I remember, it seems he came down on the side of his foot.

And that after a brilliant Hook and Ladder play that completely fooled me. I was thinking "What kind of stupid short throw is . . . Oh! YES!"

steelerdude15
12-09-2018, 09:30 PM
They suck bad, coaching is horrible. This team is loaded with talent and they flop flop.flop. losers. They may beat the Bengals

You could make the argument that they are on offense, but not on defense.

86WARD
12-09-2018, 09:43 PM
I do have to admit, it is unbelievable how things have gone. Every single bounce seems to go against the Steelers. Especially last week. But, slipping on the field goal? Really? It's not even like he planted his foot and it slipped. From what I remember, it seems he came down on the side of his foot.

And that after a brilliant Hook and Ladder play that completely fooled me. I was thinking "What kind of stupid short throw is . . . Oh! YES!"

This is what I said last week. They get no bounces going their way and a lot of the reason they don’t have the turnovers. They all bounce the other way. I mean it almost happened again today when Burnett knocked the pass in the end zone down and it almost fell into Atemans hands...lol,

They did however get A LOT of penalties to fall their way...they really should’ve lost that game by two TDS.

NCSteeler
12-09-2018, 09:54 PM
You could make the argument that they are on offense, but not on defense.Then whoever is responsible for the #1 and #2 picks we have been making year after year on defense needs fired

Craic
12-09-2018, 10:54 PM
Then whoever is responsible for the #1 and #2 picks we have been making year after year on defense needs fired

Why? There's been lots of posts around here that show the Steelers beat the odds with their first and second round draft picks, all things considered. In fact, several sites that look at such stats usually put the Steelers somewhere between 9-14th overall in draft pick success over the last few years. As for first and second rounds, we are doing pretty good. Last year, we got Edmunds and Washington. It's too early to tell, but Edmunds looks like he's catching on pretty well. So, we'll call that 1 for 2. Last year we got Watt and Schuster. I think there's no doubt that's 2-2 that year. 2016 was Burns and Davis. Davis has quietly been playing pretty well. PFF reanks him above average and good at coverage. He's not lighting things up, but above average is good for a second round pick. We'll call that 1 for 2. 2015 was Dupree and Golson. Although Dupree is having a better year, he's not what we hoped. We'll call that year 0 for 2. Before that was Shazier and Tuit. Yeah, 2-2 that year. In 13 was Jarvis Jones and Bell. Despite our feelings now, Bell was a great pick then. 1-2. 12 was DeCastro and Adams, which puts us again at 1-2. 11 was Heyward and Gilbert. Hard to argue with those picks. 2-2. In 2010, it was Pouncey and Worilds. Easy 1-2.

So, 11 hits out of 18 picks or 61 percent, or 1.64 players who are good draft picks out of rounds 1 and 2. I found an article from 2011 where Reinfeldt, the GM of the Titans was stating that the average miss in the first two rounds is 44 percent. Or, to state it another way, the average hit is 56 percent. That's pretty good. Then, when you add in the fact the Steelers have drafted no higher than 15th since 2010, and drafted in the 'teen' rounds only three times (2010, 2013, 2014), that 61 percent looks even more impressive compared to league average 56 percent. Also remember the average is simply players who contributed decently to the team. So, significant starters. In my list above, I removed significant starters if the consensus is they aren't helping the team win. If we compared apples to apples with the 56 percent hit rate, we have to include Worilds, Dupree, and Jones who all started a significant amount of games. That'd boost the number even higher.

tl;dr

no. I absolutely do not want to fire anyone connected with the draft because over the last nine years, they have been above average in raw but skewed stats (skewed because we're removing three players who should count, but I didn't add them), and good to very good ​compared to other teams when we keep in mind in 66 percent of those drafts, we were in the bottom third of the round, and in half those drafts (or 33 percent of all drafts) we were in the last sixth of all draft positions.

Craic
12-09-2018, 11:03 PM
Specifically for defense:

2018 Round 1 Edmunds. Too early, but looks like it may be a hit.
2017 Round 1 T.J. Watt. Hit.
2016 Round 1 Artie Burns. Miss.
2016 Round 2 Sean Davis. Hit.
2015 Round 1 Bud Dupree. Meh. Call it a miss.
2015 Round 2 Golson. Miss (due to health, not talent evaluation).
2014 Round 1 Shazier. Hit.
2014 Round 2 Tuitt. Hit.
2013 Round 1 Jones. Miss
2011 Round 1 Heyward. Hit
2010 Round 2 Worilds. Miss.

Hit: 6
Miss: 5 (but including Golson, which is unfair as we're talking talent evaluation, and Dupree, who is just now starting to show something).

That equals a 55 percent hit factor, pretty much inline with league average. And, again, that's with us drafting very low. In fact, three of the 5 misses were drafts when we were picking in the bottom 1/3rd of that round.

Mojouw
12-09-2018, 11:07 PM

2014 Round 2 Tuitt. Hit.
2013 Round 1 Jones. Miss

Miss: 5 (but including Golson, which is unfair as we're talking talent evaluation, and Dupree, who is just now starting to show something).

That equals a 55 percent hit factor, pretty much inline with league average. And, again, that's with us drafting very low. In fact, three of the 5 misses were drafts when we were picking in the bottom 1/3rd of that round.

DEspite what folks will want to argue, Worilds and Dupree count as hits. Low yield, but hits none the less.

st33lersguy
12-09-2018, 11:07 PM

2014 Round 2 Tuitt. Hit.
2013 Round 1 Jones. Miss

Sean Davis is a hit?

Craic
12-09-2018, 11:27 PM
Sean Davis is a hit?

Yes. Despite what people expect, to be considered a hit by NFL standards in the first couple of rounds, you simply need to log snaps as the normal starter for a significant amount of time. He's done that already.

Moreover, since he's moved to his natural position, his grading has gone up by pretty much all counts. He's considered at least above average. While he hasn't hit the big free-safety plays teams want, he also hasn't bombed anything. In fact, I'd say that outside of Hilton, he's been the most dependable DB the Steelers have, and that includes Haden and Burnett.

FrancoLambert
12-10-2018, 06:56 AM

2014 Round 2 Tuitt. Hit.
2013 Round 1 Jones. Miss

You call Golson a miss due to health reasons, not talent.
How did you arrive at that conclusion?
He never played.

Craic
12-10-2018, 07:29 AM
You call Golson a miss due to health reasons, not talent.
How did you arrive at that conclusion?
He never played.

Bingo.

(Because of health).

Dwinsgames
12-10-2018, 07:35 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuA9_iKW4AAVxxG.jpg:large

FrancoLambert
12-10-2018, 09:16 AM
Bingo.

(Because of health).

No Bingo...you didn’t check your card carefully.
He never played a game to display what his NFL talent level was.
What do you base Golson’s NFL talent on?
His college career?

Craic
12-10-2018, 09:30 AM
No Bingo...you didn’t check your card carefully.
He never played a game to display what his NFL talent level was.
What do you base Golson’s NFL talent on?
His college career?
???????????????

You're answering your own question. He is a pass (miss due to health reasons) because there is a lack of evidence to whether he had NFL talent or not. He did not play. Therefore, we do not know his talent level, therefore, he counts neither as a hit or a miss. He's nullified. He affects the count no more. He forever lays on the center of the hit-miss teeter-totter, he boarded the Hospital train and missed the NFL Express.

tl;dr Bingo.

st33lersguy
12-10-2018, 10:39 AM
Confidence level for the playoffs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUB-wjXUREE

fansince'76
12-10-2018, 02:46 PM
Confidence level for the playoffs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUB-wjXUREE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMxHBfPQgtE

tube517
12-10-2018, 02:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMxHBfPQgtE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4mY4FHyT80

Fire Goodell
12-10-2018, 02:51 PM
Playoffs??? Don't talk about playoffs, you kiddin me? PLAYOFFS? I just hope the Steelers can win a game, another game :chuckle:

fansince'76
12-10-2018, 03:05 PM
Playoffs??? Don't talk about playoffs, you kiddin me? PLAYOFFS? I just hope the Steelers can win a game, another game :chuckle:

In my opinion, that SUCKED!

NCSteeler
12-11-2018, 12:03 PM

2014 Round 2 Tuitt. Hit.
2013 Round 1 Jones. Miss

That equals a 55 percent hit factor, pretty much inline with league average. And, again, that's with us drafting very low. In fact, three of the 5 misses were drafts when we were picking in the bottom 1/3rd of that round.Well with all that talent, we'll go back to something that tends to get me trashed. The coaches suck! If all the talent is a hit then the coaches are total crap

Craic
12-13-2018, 01:50 PM
Well with all that talent, we'll go back to something that tends to get me trashed. The coaches suck! If all the talent is a hit then the coaches are total crap

Not saying it's a top-level talent. Just that according to NFL standards, we got serviceable players for the rounds we picked them in. There seems to be a myth (I'm talking in general, not to you, NCSteeler) that first round players should be NFL elite and if they aren't then the team missed. And, that all a team needs are three or four elite players for a team to win the SB. Neither are true.

Craic
12-16-2018, 06:50 PM
And so, the question continues . . .

I am so all over the place at this point. The team we saw play today can win the SB. The question is, will this team or last week's team show up to play next week?

86WARD
12-16-2018, 06:52 PM
I don’t think this team can win a Super Bowl...not the one that played today. They just don’t play consistent, they’re very sloppy and seem unorganized at times. Coaching is horrible and the kicker is far from dependable...

Craic
12-16-2018, 07:00 PM
I don’t think this team can win a Super Bowl...not the one that played today. They just don’t play consistent, they’re very sloppy and seem unorganized at times. Coaching is horrible and the kicker is far from dependable...

Horrible? I just don't get it. They did so much right today. It's as if we expect either perfection or everyone sucks and needs to be fired. I mean, how many teams have ever shut down Gronk? How many have kept Brady to 1 TD?

Personally, I think they played veryconsistent today.

GBMelBlount
12-16-2018, 07:05 PM
Horrible? I just don't get it.

They did so much right today. It's as if we expect either perfection or everyone sucks and needs to be fired. I mean, how many teams have ever shut down Gronk? How many have kept Brady to 1 TD?

If Brady scored and won in the last drive would your post still have been positive?

Regardless, I am ecstatic we are still in the thick of things!

AtlantaDan
12-16-2018, 07:07 PM

Or in the AFC you can go with: a Chiefs team that was lucky to beat the Ravens and blew a 14 point mid-4th quarter lead to the Chargers; the Texans; the Pats with their 3-5 road record; the Colts; the Ravens that run 60% of the timeor the Chargers who may spend their playoffs on the road

Every AFC team has significant flaws - only team I have real confidence in right now is the Saints

Shoes
12-16-2018, 07:09 PM
There is too much stalling out when they could put the game out of reach.

86WARD
12-16-2018, 07:12 PM
Horrible? I just don't get it. They did so much right today. It's as if we expect either perfection or everyone sucks and needs to be fired. I mean, how many teams have ever shut down Gronk? How many have kept Brady to 1 TD?

A lot of teams have shut down Gronk and just to name a few this season, Detroit, KC, BUF, GB, Tennessee, Minnesota and Pittsburgh have all held TB12 to 1TD...and that’s just this season. Just for fun, 5 teams have held Gronk under 50 yards this season. It’s not that uncommon nowadays.

86WARD
12-16-2018, 07:14 PM
Or in the AFC you can go with: a Chiefs team that was lucky to beat the Ravens and blew a 14 point mid-4th quarter lead to the Chargers; the Texans; the Pats with their 3-5 road record; the Colts; the Ravens that run 60% of the timeor the Chargers who may spend their playoffs on the road

Every AFC team has significant flaws - only team I have real confidence in right now is the Saints

Beyond Brees, Kamara and Thomas...the Saints pretty much have nothing...and they are hitting a very inconsistent streak as well.

fansince'76
12-16-2018, 07:14 PM
You really don't get it?

If Brady scored and won in the last drive would your post still have been positive?

Or critical of Ben / the offense for the turnovers and leaving so many points on the table?...

Yep. Even Romo remarked late in the 4th quarter "doesn't it seem like the Steelers should be up by at least 10-14 points?"

As good as the offense is, they still leave way too many points on the field. And that's a recipe for disaster with this defense.

86WARD
12-16-2018, 07:18 PM
Yep. Even Romo remarked late in the 4th quarter "doesn't it seem like the Steelers should be up by at least 10-14 points?"

As good as the offense is, they still leave way too many points on the field. And that's a recipe for disaster with this defense.

Room is 100% right.

pczach
12-16-2018, 07:20 PM

I agree about this game. There's really not much to complain about.

Ben threw one interception that was on him with the overthrow. The other was a fluky play where the Patriot defender is mauling JuJu into AB to cause the ball to pop in the air and of course go right to a Pats defender.

There were several pass interference penalties that weren't called on the Pats, but the WR's beat the defenders.

The defense definitely had a better game plan and came up with some big stops. The defensive front got a good amount of pressure, and there were a handful of obvious holding calls that should have been called against the Pats. In other words, the Steelers won the vast majority of the individual battles. They forced the Pats to commit some penalties, and the coaches had them in a position to succeed and win.

Boz missed a chip shot, but made a huuuuuuge kick to put them up 7. Could it help him turn the corner? You never know.

They played well in a big spot. You have to give them credit when they get it right.

AtlantaDan
12-16-2018, 07:22 PM

IMO Romo was great today

NCSteeler
12-16-2018, 07:24 PM
And so, the question continues . . .

I am so all over the place at this point. The team we saw play today can win the SB. The question is, will this team or last week's team show up to play next week?The team today that had so little offensive output. Nah, they gotta be able to win in the red zone

86WARD
12-16-2018, 07:26 PM
IMO Romo was great today

Room by far is the best analyst out there. CBS made a great call switching from Simms to Romo. The way he dresses in the announcing both is great. I mentioned in the game day thread, but he looks like a college kid who picked his suit up off his floor and put it on...tie is always tied and he just throws it over his head and tightens it.

tube517
12-16-2018, 07:27 PM
IMO Romo was great todayRomo got more excited than I did watching the last drive. He freaked out when Haden intercepted Brady [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

GBMelBlount
12-16-2018, 07:29 PM

Agreed Gary!

Thankfully we still (hopefully) have a few more games to work out the kinks.

Gary, do you think this team has the potential to win it all?

Craic
12-16-2018, 07:30 PM

Yes and no. It would have been positive still because it was a very well-coached team today that only got caught up a couple of times by a QB and coach that together are masters of causing confusion in other teams. No, because that last series where the Steelers held a team out of the endzone after giving up scores the last few weeks spotlighted changes made in this defense. That's not players doing it. That's coaches doing it. It wasn't as though the scheme was beat and a player just made an outstanding play on the ball. Brady didn't score because of scheme on that drive. It's why he had to throw the ball away twice at least. it's also why he tried to throw it away and got a pick instead on one of the previous drives.

Again, I'm only saying that if the team we saw today shows up for the rest of the season, we have a very good chance. Now, what do I think the chances of that happening are? Slim. And that, you can at least partially put on coaching. But today's game . . . gotta give it its due.

fansince'76
12-16-2018, 07:31 PM
Gary, do you think this team has the potential to win it all?

Yep. And I also believe they are capable of going out and looking like the worst team in the league on any given week.

GBMelBlount
12-16-2018, 07:33 PM
Yes and no.

It would have been positive still because it was a very well-coached team today that only got caught up a couple of times by a QB and coach that together are masters of causing confusion in other teams.

No, because that last series where the Steelers held a team out of the endzone after giving up scores the last few weeks spotlighted changes made in this defense. That's not players doing it. That's coaches doing it. It wasn't as though the scheme was beat and a player just made an outstanding play on the ball.

Brady didn't score because of scheme on that drive. It's why he had to throw the ball away twice at least. it's also why he tried to throw it away and got a pick instead on one of the previous drives.

Again, I'm only saying that if the team we saw today shows up for the rest of the season, we have a very good chance. Now, what do I think the chances of that happening are? Slim. And that, you can at least partially put on coaching. But today's game . . . gotta give it its due.

Amen!

Just imagine if the offense shows up too...

teegre
12-16-2018, 07:47 PM
A lot of teams have shut down Gronk and just to name a few this season, Detroit, KC, BUF, GB, Tennessee, Minnesota and Pittsburgh have all held TB12 to 1TD...and that’s just this season. Just for fun, 5 teams have held Gronk under 50 yards this season. It’s not that uncommon nowadays.

So, beating the Taperiots is no big deal. Commonplace, really.

Good to know.

GoSlash27
12-16-2018, 08:19 PM
This was a win and I'll take all I can get, but this NE game doesn't bolster my confidence much. NE did as much to beat themselves as we did.

86WARD
12-16-2018, 08:24 PM
So, beating the Taperiots is no big deal. Commonplace, really.

Good to know.

If there’s anytime to do it, now is the time as the whole team is on the decline...lol.

It’s great that they beat the Pats, just sucks that they dropped on to the Raiders, gave one way to the Chargers and gave one to the Broncos.

They should be beating the Patriots...Steelers have way more talent than them. As they did last year...

fansince'76
12-16-2018, 08:30 PM
It’s great that they beat the Pats, just sucks that they dropped on to the Raiders, gave one way to the Chargers and gave one to the Broncos.

Those three games are the difference between the #4 seed (for the moment) and the #1 seed with 2 to play. :doh:

86WARD
12-16-2018, 08:34 PM
Those three games are the difference between the #4 seed (for the moment) and the #1 seed with 2 to play. :doh:

Yep and they were all winnable. All of them. Even the Chiefs game was a winnable game...

I think the Saints game is winnable and I think they win it as long as the Saints beat the Panthers Monday Night.

Steeler-in-west
12-16-2018, 09:05 PM
Still pretty low

patriots looked terrible

And we lost to the lowly raiders, gave one away to chargers the week before that, and gave another to the lousy broncos

Let that all sink in. This team is the very definition of underachieving.

Craic
12-16-2018, 09:28 PM

Yep. Then go back and remember both the Chiefs games and the even the Browns' game in which we gave up and tied them. We should be 13-1. A season of wasted opportunities.

12-16-2018, 09:36 PM
Much needed win but against a slightly above average team they are now. I'll take it and feels good beating them! Some good signs with Rogers, Samuels and Washington. We just got to make the playoffs and who knows ? Talent is there and we can compete with anyone when we are up for it!

Fire Goodell
12-16-2018, 10:48 PM
Can't talk playoffs yet because we still may have to win out depending on how Baltimore does. If they beat the Chargers next week, we'll be in a bad spot with a loss vs New Orleans. I wish I could say I was optimistic about that game, but it's going to be TOUGH. Between NE and NO I thought today's game was the much more winnable one. To be quite honest I'm not all that impressed with the Chargers, and the Ravens could possibly beat them.

The one advantage we have is that they're on a short week, but still, the Saints at home will be tough sledding any way you put it.

st33lersguy
12-16-2018, 11:09 PM
Steelers likely treated this as their Super Bowl. How will they fare the rest of the way. Can't see them being competitive against New Orleans after such an emotional win especially in the Superdome

12-16-2018, 11:23 PM
Can't talk playoffs yet because we still may have to win out depending on how Baltimore does. If they beat the Chargers next week, we'll be in a bad spot with a loss vs New Orleans. I wish I could say I was optimistic about that game, but it's going to be TOUGH. Between NE and NO I thought today's game was the much more winnable one. To be quite honest I'm not all that impressed with the Chargers, and the Ravens could possibly beat them.

The one advantage we have is that they're on a short week, but still, the Saints at home will be tough sledding any way you put it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oSFYxDGKy8

Fire Goodell
12-16-2018, 11:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oSFYxDGKy8

Rotorhead
12-17-2018, 03:37 AM
The good thing is the Chargers are still playing for a 1 seed, so they got something to play for. The Saints pretty much have their 1 seed locked up with the Rams loss tonight, and a short week.

steel striker
12-17-2018, 01:12 PM
Well hopefully the Chargers will do us a favor and, beat the ravens. If they don't it will be another must win for the Steelers VS Saints on the road.

Craic
12-17-2018, 01:35 PM
Yeah, a day later I'm still all over the place. It was nice to see our defense not let up all game. They had only one breakdown and then one personnel issue where two CBs collided leaving a WR free. Their work in the fourth quarter forcing that turnover and stopping a driving offense really impressed me. I know, people are saying this isn't the same Patriots team. Sure. But that Patriots team is a ton better than the Raiders or Jags. So . . .

And yet, I really don't want to get my hopes up.

Steel Warrior
12-18-2018, 08:32 PM
Wild card doesn't look good right now, we'd have to go 1-1, which we can, but Colts and Titans would also both have to go 1-1, and although they play each other the last game, I highly doubt either loses this weeks game, so one of them would be 2-0. So, we have to keep pace with the Ravens to win the division. Saturday's game between the Ravens and Chargers is huge, if the Ravens win we're in trouble. Please Santa, give me a Chargers win!

Craic
12-18-2018, 08:48 PM
Wild card doesn't look good right now, we'd have to go 1-1, which we can, but Colts and Titans would also both have to go 1-1, and although they play each other the last game, I highly doubt either loses this weeks game, so one of them would be 2-0. So, we have to keep pace with the Ravens to win the division. Saturday's game between the Ravens and Chargers is huge, if the Ravens win we're in trouble. Please Santa, give me a Chargers win!

Possible. But for some stupid reason (as I keep getting sucked in) I think the Steelers may have turned a corner against the Pats*. I'm hoping that was the monkey-off-the-back game we so needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Possible. But for some stupid reason (as I keep getting sucked in) I think the Steelers may have turned a corner against the Pats*. I'm hoping that was the monkey-off-the-back game we so needed.

86WARD
12-19-2018, 02:28 PM
That’s not a bad theory...could be a lot of pressure off their back and instill some confidence into the team to make a run...

pczach
12-19-2018, 04:27 PM

- - - Updated - - -

That Deja vu is a bitch.....

Psycho Ward 86
12-19-2018, 05:16 PM
hopefully the ravens on a short week against a well rested chargers team will help a bit. hopefully melvin gordon is back

Iron Steeler
12-22-2018, 10:42 PM
Not sure if we make the playoffs

DesertSteel
12-22-2018, 11:31 PM
Confidence is low right now. If they don't make it, you can go back to the Raiders game as to the reason why. Mike "Game Flow" Tomlin is responsible IMO.

Shoes
12-22-2018, 11:37 PM
Confidence is low right now. If they don't make it, you can go back to the Raiders game as to the reason why. Mike "Game Flow" Tomlin is responsible IMO.

It's not just the Raiders game, this team has been blowing multiple games every year and they all come back to haunt them. If I'm AJR II fur will be flying at season end.

86WARD
12-23-2018, 05:59 AM
5% chance they make it. 2% chance they win a game.

zulater
12-23-2018, 09:53 AM
I'd put it at 33% chance to win the division and less than 2% chance to make it in as a WC.

First the WC was all but eliminated yesterday with the Titans win. Assuming Colts beats the Giants today at Indy they then play the Titans next week. Winner will have 10 wins eliminating the Steelers from that passage.

As far as the division goes. I don't see us beating the Saints in their building. I don't know if there's a team in the league that you would expect to go in there and win? So it comes down to next week. I know the Bengals would love to beat us and spoil our last chance. But I don't think they have the horses to pull it off. Plus when the going gets tough the Bungles pack it in .

So that means our fate will ride with the Browns. And I like it! This season every time a team gets propped up as high and mighty as the Ravens are currently being they come thudding back to reality. I think the Browns go into that game looking at it as their Super Bowl . And honestly the Ravens lack of a legitimate passing game will bite them sooner or later. And you know damn well Baker Mayfield will want to beat the last qb taken in the first round. I feel good this happening!

Mojouw
12-23-2018, 09:57 AM
I don’t think they’ll get in. But if they can’t beat the Saints at home they also can’t win 4 playoff games.

If they’re a championship caliber team they win. If not, they don’t and what does it matter?

Either way I’m traveling all day. So I’ll be spared having to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Born2Steel
12-23-2018, 10:51 AM
As far as 'confidence level', I am totally confident this team is good enough to be a playoff team this season. I think there are a lot of mediocre teams this year that we should be in ahead of. That said, you simply must win the games you're supposed to. These last 6 weeks have not been confidence building weeks. Those mediocre teams have tied or passed us up because we can't get out of our own way. I'm confident we have a playoff caliber team, just not a SB caliber team. So in the end I really don't care about the playoffs at this point.

tube517
12-23-2018, 11:43 AM
My confidence level is what show(s) can I binge watch now?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

st33lersguy
12-23-2018, 12:38 PM
Anyone else think that this team needs to miss the playoffs in order for much needed changes to occur and real progress t ok be made? Another postseason appearance may convince the organization that everything is fine and reduce the incentive to make much needed changes

Shoes
12-23-2018, 12:50 PM
Anyone else think that this team needs to miss the playoffs in order for much needed changes to occur and real progress t ok be made? Another postseason appearance may convince the organization that everything is fine and reduce the incentive to make much needed changes

Yes, if it means cleaning the clock completely.

Edman
12-23-2018, 12:56 PM

The team held onto Dick Lebeau a three extra years after getting Tebowed, even though the Defense was slipping and he clearly hit his expiration date.

The Steelers also held onto Keith Butler and the Defensive coaching staff this season despite a crashing Defense that finally met its end at the hands of Blake Bortles and the Jaguars, who by the way are a total dumpster fire and are not making the playoffs this season.

Making the playoffs will only convince the organization that nothing needs to be changed, and 2019 will be the same old tired script. Continual teases of brilliance, but constant underachieving (esp on Offense) and not winning anything.

Shoes
12-23-2018, 01:00 PM
The team held onto Dick Lebeau a three extra years after getting Tebowed, even though the Defense was slipping and he clearly hit his expiration date.

The Steelers also held onto Keith Butler and the Defensive coaching staff this season despite a crashing Defense that finally met its end at the hands of Blake Bortles and the Jaguars, who by the way have proven to be a total fluke and are not making the playoffs this season.

Making the playoffs will only convince the organization that nothing needs to be changed, and 2019 will be the same old tired script. Continual teases of brilliance, but underachieving and not winning anything.

Rooney is responsible for the Butler show, promising this guy the position without interviewing other coaches. Doesn't the Rooney rule apply here also?

AtlantaDan
12-23-2018, 01:24 PM
Rooney is responsible for the Butler show, promising this guy the position without interviewing other coaches. Doesn't the Rooney rule apply here also?

Rooney rule only applies to head coaching and “senior football operations” front office jobs

Butler getting the DC job as a legacy hire was botched - but Tomlin getting more involved with defense after LeBeau moved on has resulted in Butler getting blamed for failures for which he is not solely responsible

But some non-player is going to pay with their job if the Steelers misss the playoffs and it will not be Tomlin or Colbert

My bets are Butler & Porter

Shoes
12-23-2018, 01:31 PM
Rooney rule only applies to head coaching and “senior football operations” front office jobs

Butler getting the DC job as a legacy hire was botched - but Tomlin getting more involved with defense after LeBeau moved on has resulted in Butler getting blamed for failures for which he is not solely responsible

But some non-player is going to pay with their job if the Steelers misss the playoffs and it will not be Tomlin or Colbert

My bets are Butler & Porter

Agreed, but Smith should also go with Tomlin on deck. Bens about done, might as well clean house.

Craic
12-23-2018, 06:55 PM
After today, I just don't know. They played the number one seed very close and could have easily won this game had the ball bounced a different way one of several times. On the other hand, as I was telling my friend I was watching the game with, it seems the Football Gods are not with the Steelers this year. They simply aren't getting those bounces or calls or anything else.

The Bark
12-23-2018, 06:59 PM
1 and 4 over the last 5. We shouldn't even be discussing this anymore.

st33lersguy
12-23-2018, 07:02 PM
Baltimore will beat the Browns and this season will be officially over

EzraTank
12-23-2018, 07:07 PM
1 and 4 over the last 5. We shouldn't even be discussing this anymore.

This.

Baltimore will beat the Browns and this season will be officially over

And this. Let's face it, I watched the Ravens last night and they are way more of a complete team compared to us. They deserve the division and will beat the Chargers again in two weeks in Baltimore.