PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin defends his decision to accept holding penalty vs the Jaguars

polamalubeast
11-21-2018, 06:46 AM
Early in the third quarter of last week’s game, Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin found himself in an in an unenviable position. His defense had held the Jacksonville Jaguars and it was fourth and two. However, a penalty on the Jaguars gave him the choice to back them up and replay third down.

Tomlin accepted the penalty and what ensued was an eight-yard sack by T.J. Watt and the Jaguars had to punt. It was interesting to see the public reaction to this aggressive piece of coaching by Tomlin. He even had to address it in his Tuesday press conference as if he did something wrong.

read more

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/21/mike-tomlin-defends-his-decision-to-accept-holding-penalty-vs-the-jaguars/

cold-hard-steel
11-21-2018, 07:42 AM
No matter what he does someone is going to question it.If it works why did you do that,if it doesn't......why make that call? If he doesn't and the cigs pick up the first down,then its why didn't you take the penalty? So annoying sometimes.

AtlantaDan
11-21-2018, 08:14 AM
This quote indicates it was based on contempt for Bortles ability to make a play.

Why did he accept the holding penalty on the Jaguars after the Steelers stopped Leonard Fournette for a 1-yard gain on third-and-2 at the Jacksonville 34 in the third quarter? His response was a not-so-subtle swipe at Blake Bortles.

“I wanted to see why they avoided third-and-long so hard,” Tomlin said. “I’m just joking. I knew why avoided third-and-long. That’s why I took the penalty.”

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/14318019-74/kevin-gormans-take-5-apologizing-for-nothing-mike-tomlin-wants-steelers-to

Certainly would not accept that penalty if the Jags had a decent QB but the opposing coach flat out saying that is unusual.

Some of the postgame quotes confirm Steelers and Jags despise each other

teegre
11-21-2018, 08:34 AM
The Jags were running at will. Fourth-&-1 is a makeable run. The Jags went for it on fourth down during both of last season’s games. (As in: the Jags were indeed going to go for it, and probably get it.)

SUMMATION: Everyone in my household felt that it was 100% the correct call.

Oh... and, Bortles sucks.

Hawkman
11-21-2018, 08:40 AM
The Jags were running at will. Fourth-&-1 is a makeable run. The Jags went for it on fourth down during both of last season’s games. (As in: the Jags were indeed going to go for it, and probably get it.)

The sack was just icing. I had no problem with the call.

st33lersguy
11-22-2018, 08:55 PM
I think what gets lost though is not just Jacksonville converting the first down but also Jacksonville getting a first down by penalty. Jacksonville could have easily gotten a first down with a simple penalty including (in today's NFL) for something as small as a Steeler player looking at a ref the wrong way. Then you add that Jacksonville was at their own 35 on 4th down and you have to doubt that they really would have gone for it

Butch
11-22-2018, 09:07 PM
If you want to be critical of Tomlin it's his challenge's but not this. I had no problem with it when it happened and I still don't.

Steelerchad
11-23-2018, 07:08 AM
My initial reaction while watching live was "what the hell is he doing, you decline this". That would be the conventional wisdom.
This unconventional decision was based on knowledge of his opponents and own team's capabilities. Kudos to him for having the guts and clout to make that call.
Many coaches wouldn't have made that call and the Jags likely go for and convert a 4th and short there. Tomlin knew the percentages and played to his teams strengths and the other teams weaknesses.
It didn't hurt that the rush had been getting there all day.

Steelerchad
11-23-2018, 07:23 AM
Both his challenges and clock management are generally both bad.
Didn't like not using the timeouts prior to the 2 minute warning as you give away 15-20 seconds by doing that.
Also, didn't care for the spike at the 2 after letting the clock go from 45 to 22 seconds. You then give your self 2 plays to get in from the 2, then kick the FG.
2 penalties by the Jags put us in 1st and goal at the 1, but with only 8 seconds or 1 play, then a FG.

GBMelBlount
11-23-2018, 07:26 AM

I felt 100% it was the correct call at the time as well.

polamalubeast
11-23-2018, 07:27 AM

Steelerchad
11-23-2018, 07:40 AM
Just because he's gotten away with it, doesn't make it good clock management. There have been many times in years prior where he has cost us the chance for points by not using TO's efficiently.

86WARD
11-23-2018, 07:57 AM
The thing I think is Tomlin’s greatest weakness and should actually be the easiest to fix is when and where he throws the challenge flag. There have been more examples of throwing/not throwing the flag than mismanaged clocks if I remember correctly. Sometimes I think he knows that he’s going to lose the challenge but he throws it anyway to gamble that he doesn’t...even knowing it’s not a good idea...

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-23-2018, 04:30 PM
A coach once told me back in the day that "you always take the 10 yard holding call". Its like making the offense have to get 2 first downs in yardage to just get the one first down.

Now, I have only coached highschool and youth football, but it makes sense and I have always acted accordingly. This was no shock to me that Tomlin took the penalty. Its almost like "you never take points off the board".

Istina
11-23-2018, 04:48 PM
I liked the call to accept the penalty, the pass rush was good all day and Bortles was bad all day, I didn't see much of a chance of Bortles converting that 3rd down.

GoSlash27
11-23-2018, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I'm with the majority on this one. If we win with time expiring and a TO in our pocket, Tomlin has nothing to defend.

GBMelBlount
11-23-2018, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I'm with the majority on this one. If we win with time expiring and a TO in our pocket, Tomlin has nothing to defend.

Tomlin for President.

At least until our next loss...

Fire Goodell
11-23-2018, 08:25 PM
99% chance Fournette would have picked up that 4th and 1. 20% Chance Bortles converts 3rd and 11

polamalubeast
11-25-2018, 12:39 PM
But against Brady,this is a big NO!

Butch
11-25-2018, 02:12 PM

Big difference between the Steelers Defense and the J.E.T.S.

st33lersguy
11-25-2018, 02:23 PM

Typical Patriot AFC East rival

NCSteeler
11-25-2018, 09:42 PM
As bad as it was at times today. I get excited every time a coach takes the penalty against Ben. 3-11 can be a dream down for Ben at times

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk