PDA

View Full Version : Bradshaw vs. Roethlisberger

LambertsLunatic58
11-19-2018, 04:57 PM
I was fortunate enough that at 9 years old (1974) my first jersey was a black and gold one with "Bradshaw" on the back. When my second son was born his middle name was Bradshaw. I've been so fortunate to see both Terry and Ben in their prime. I know this has been discussed ad infinitium....but after this week's performance I'm moving Big Ben to the top the list. Bradshaw was great. He still is (but I was a little disconcerted with how fat and old he's gotten when I watched NFL on Fox this weekend. I don't wanna sound mean...but damn.....he's really porkin out).
Anyway back on topic.....
Ben has shown he's got the heart of a winner to go along with his gridiron accumen. Even the greatest physically gifted QB's in the league can't compare with Ben's "will to win" attitude when he's on top of his game. This guy is a great player and I feel so fortunate to have been able to watch the majority of careers of both him and Bradshaw.
I'm old and grey and ...(divorced) now...so there's not much chance...but if I did have another kid he just might wind up having "Benjamin" as a middle name.

LambertsLunatic

polamalubeast
11-19-2018, 05:08 PM
I like his 2 QBs, because they are competitors and they never give up no matter the situation, even if they are awful after 2-3 quarter they are not afraid to throw another interception, they play to win.

I think that Roethlisberger is the best QB steelers ever ..... I do not think Bradshaw would have survived in today's NFL if he would have been bad as he was in his first 5 years.

I know that in his first two years, the steelers were still awful, but even when the team started to be good in 1972, Bradshaw was still not very good.I give credit for Bradshaw what he has done from 1975 until the end of his career, but Roethlisberger was more consistent during his career ... only one bad season in his career (2006)

pczach
11-19-2018, 05:20 PM
I was fortunate enough that at 9 years old (1974) my first jersey was a black and gold one with "Bradshaw" on the back. When my second son was born his middle name was Bradshaw. I've been so fortunate to see both Terry and Ben in their prime. I know this has been discussed ad infinitium....but after this week's performance I'm moving Big Ben to the top the list. Bradshaw was great. He still is (but I was a little disconcerted with how fat and old he's gotten when I watched NFL on Fox this weekend. I don't wanna sound mean...but damn.....he's really porkin out).
Anyway back on topic.....
Ben has shown he's got the heart of a winner to go along with his gridiron accumen. Even the greatest physically gifted QB's in the league can't compare with Ben's "will to win" attitude when he's on top of his game. This guy is a great player and I feel so fortunate to have been able to watch the majority of careers of both him and Bradshaw.
I'm old and grey and ...(divorced) now...so there's not much chance...but if I did have another kid he just might wind up having "Benjamin" as a middle name.

LambertsLunatic

I hope everyone that has been lucky enough to be able to see both of these quarterbacks play appreciates how great these men were on the field. Having the Steelers as our team of choice all these years has provided us with so much success and pride in the organization. I'm 54, and like you have seen this franchise become the greatest winning franchise in the Super Bowl era. Many people go a lifetime and never get to taste the success we have been able to invest in and enjoy.

Great quarterbacks are the difference between winning and losing in so many ways. Terry and Big Ben have been difference makers and have also helped forge a legacy of winning. We have been very lucky to see them play and lead this team to championships.

86WARD
11-20-2018, 05:21 AM
I hope everyone that has been lucky enough to be able to see both of these quarterbacks play appreciates how great these men were on the field. Having the Steelers as our team of choice all these years has provided us with so much success and pride in the organization. I'm 54, and like you have seen this franchise become the greatest winning franchise in the Super Bowl era. Many people go a lifetime and never get to taste the success we have been able to invest in and enjoy.

Great quarterbacks are the difference between winning and losing in so many ways. Terry and Big Ben have been difference makers and have also helped forge a legacy of winning. We have been very lucky to see them play and lead this team to championships.

Well put. I’ve seen both. Bradshaw as a kid, Roethlisberger as an adult and a bunch of up and downs in between. Feel very lucky to see two Super Bowl Eras opposed to most people who see nothing of the sort and a handful that see a Super Bowl victory and then their team peter out into obscurity...

Butch
11-20-2018, 06:09 AM
I have always thought that Ben with his toughness could play in any era of football, and could just imagine how Terry would thrive in this era. The one who got away was Marino and I can only dream of what life would have been like with him as our QB. Sheesh.

We are very blessed to have such great QBs, Enjoy Ben while you can.

Yes I am old and grey too LOL

EzraTank
11-20-2018, 07:13 AM
I like his 2 QBs, because they are competitors and they never give up no matter the situation, even if they are awful after 2-3 quarter they are not afraid to throw another interception, they play to win.

I think that Roethlisberger is the best QB steelers ever ..... I do not think Bradshaw would have survived in today's NFL if he would have been bad as he was in his first 5 years.

I know that in his first two years, the steelers were still awful, but even when the team started to be good in 1972, Bradshaw was still not very good.I give credit for Bradshaw what he has done from 1975 until the end of his career, but Roethlisberger was more consistent during his career ... only one bad season in his career (2006)

How could Bradshaw not survive in today's NFL? Bradshaw played when you basically could almost stab a QB with a shank and not get called for it. In today's NFL where you can't touch the QB Bradshaw would be just fine.

polamalubeast
11-20-2018, 07:22 AM
How could Bradshaw not survive in today's NFL? Bradshaw played when you basically could almost stab a QB with a shank and not get called for it. In today's NFL where you can't touch the QB Bradshaw would be just fine.

I mean, if Bradshaw would have been bad as he was in his first 5 years in the NFL of today,maybe he would be a backup, because the teams are a lot less patient with the QBs.His stats in his early years were not very good, even in the early 1970's standard.

But of course, he would have a lot of success in today's NFL, I never say the opposite, it's just that I do not know if the teams would be patient today if a QB would take a long time to develop

EzraTank
11-20-2018, 07:31 AM
I mean, if Bradshaw would have been bad as he was in his first 5 years in the NFL of today,maybe he would be a backup, because the teams are a lot less patient with the QBs.His stats in his early years were not very good, even in the early 1970's standard.

But of course, he would have a lot of success in today's NFL, I never say the opposite, it's just that I do not know if the teams would be patient today if a QB would take a long time to develop

Whole different league then. Look at the final scores of his first two Superbowls versus the last two. If Bradshaw entered the league with today's rules in place his first 5 years he wouldn't have struggled IMHO.

Superbowl IX: 16-6.
Superbowl X: 21-17 (offensive explosion for that time)
Superbowl XIII: 35-31
Superbowl XIV: 38-19

The league was a defensive league in the first half of the 70's. Defenders could maul the receivers and throwing INT's wasn't uncommon. Then they changed the PI rules after the Steelers first two Superbowl runs.

Today's NFL is the polar opposite of that NFL. Now imagine taking QB's from today and putting them in the early 70's? Brady wouldn't still be playing after 40. He wouldn't have physically been able to because he wouldn't have been protected like he is today.

polamalubeast
11-20-2018, 07:34 AM
Whole different league then. Look at the final scores of his first two Superbowls versus the last two. If Bradshaw entered the league with today's rules in place his first 5 years he wouldn't have struggled IMHO.

Superbowl IX: 16-6.
Superbowl X: 21-17 (offensive explosion for that time)
Superbowl XIII: 35-31
Superbowl XIV: 38-19

The league was a defensive league in the first half of the 70's. Defenders could maul the receivers and throwing INT's wasn't uncommon. Then they changed the PI rules after the Steelers first two Superbowl runs.

Today's NFL is the polar opposite of that NFL. Now imagine taking QB's from today and putting them in the early 70's? Brady wouldn't still be playing after 40. He wouldn't have physically been able to because he wouldn't have been protected like he is today.

agree on this...This is a whole different league.

86WARD
11-20-2018, 09:42 AM

Bradshaw was Brett Favre in a run era before Favre was himself in a more of a pass era. Terry would do just fine in this era. I think both he and Stallworth would really excel in today’s game.

tube517
11-20-2018, 11:12 AM
Bradshaw was Brett Favre in a run era before Favre was himself in a more of a pass era. Terry would do just fine in this era. I think both he and Stallworth would really excel in today’s game.

SB XIII and XIV were the precursors to this league becoming a passing league.

Noll (and Bradshaw) took full advantage of the Mel Blount rule.

Except for one TD run by a very pissed off Franco Harris, the running game was stagnant in both games. They had to pass to win.

steel striker
11-20-2018, 11:35 AM
I was able to watch both Terry & Ben two totally different era's but, you have to give Terry alot of props he seemed to always come up big when it was the big game. What a love about Ben is even when he is not having a good game with the game on the line he seems to always come through more times than not. I have said this generation enjoy Ben while we still can because, when he does call it a career it will be a sad day once he is retired there will be many people saying man he is a much better QB that I realized!

Lady Steel
11-20-2018, 01:44 PM
I was able to watch both Terry & Ben two totally different era's but, you have to give Terry alot of props he seemed to always come up big when it was the big game. What a love about Ben is even when he is not having a good game with the game on the line he seems to always come through more times than not. I have said this generation enjoy Ben while we still can because, when he does call it a career it will be a sad day once he is retired there will be many people saying man he is a much better QB that I realized!

When Ben is retired and Dobbs is in there, people will be screaming, "Put Ben in!" :chuckle:

FrancoLambert
11-20-2018, 06:21 PM
If Terry sucked for three quarters, it was pretty certain he was going to suck for the fourth quarter.
Ben can turn it around.....I’ll never doubt him after this past week.
I give a close call to Ben.
Terry threw a better deep ball IMO.

GoSlash27
11-20-2018, 06:35 PM
Ben is mentally tougher than Terry. Terry never took disapproval or criticism well. Physical toughness, I'd call it a draw. Terry played in a rougher league, but Ben has taken and given an awful lot of abuse by modern standards. Terry had the bigger cannon, Ben more tactical.

In the end, Terry has 4 rings. That settles a lot of arguments :D

I don't want to pick one over the other, I'm just thankful we had both.

Dwinsgames
11-20-2018, 08:36 PM
in a SB I take Terry 10 times out of 10 ... he just didn't lose them and always played well ...

Hawkman
11-21-2018, 08:51 AM
in a SB I take Terry 10 times out of 10 ... he just didn't lose them and always played well ...

It certainly helped that he had one of the greatest defenses ever assembled playing on his team.

Dwinsgames
11-21-2018, 09:25 AM
perhaps it did ... but he was the one orchestrating drives and scoring points ...

that said Ben won a SB with the worst QB rating ever in the game so if we are handing stuff to defenses for QBs results perhaps that's the place we should first look ?

Moose
11-21-2018, 11:09 AM
I too, like some here, is very lucky to have seen and remember the QBs and player's of the early year's ( I'm 68yr's old and have a Bradshaw jersey, but wear my Jack Lambert jersey). To me it's hard to compare any player's of the different era's mainly because of the different rules/regulations and style of football. THEN it was knock your ass in the dirt, hurt the QB, RB and TE. Everything was fair game. NOW everyone is protected. Tackling rules are hard to figure out. QB's are untouchable. Rules of how many yards are allowed past scrimmage before you can knock someone in the dirt. Ref's are inconsistent as hell and usually don't know the rules themselves. For me, professional football is really getting harder and harder to watch and understand. And I'm sure it's really hard to coach and teach. Because of the new rules 40 - 50 clicks on the score board will become the new wave. I understand the concern for keeping player's injury free....but football is a contact sport. So as to the comparison of Bradshaw vs Ben my answer would be BOTH are 'great' in the time frame they played in with all the rules/regulations. Most player's in the past era probably wouldn't be able to play in today's game.....Lambert for example. Same as player's today...for example Brady wouldn't last long when player's busted through the line and knocked his ass in the dirt....Lambert for example. Just my opinion . Go Steeler's ! Go Notre Dame !

Fire Goodell
11-21-2018, 11:14 AM
Big Ben

86WARD
11-21-2018, 11:39 AM
It certainly helped that he had one of the greatest defenses ever assembled playing on his team.

Not every Super Bowl...

Craic
11-21-2018, 03:03 PM
perhaps it did ... but he was the one orchestrating drives and scoring points ...

that said Ben won a SB with the worst QB rating ever in the game so if we are handing stuff to defenses for QBs results perhaps that's the place we should first look ?

Perhaps, but QB rating doesn't tell the entire story, either. Ben was horrible through the air, but I remember Ben did more on the ground that game than normal such as rushing for a TD and also keeping the ball and rushing for a first down to put the nail in the coffin for the Seahawks. Of course, there was more than that, but those are the two I remember the most.

tube517
11-21-2018, 03:15 PM
Perhaps, but QB rating doesn't tell the entire story, either. Ben was horrible through the air, but I remember Ben did more on the ground that game than normal such as rushing for a TD and also keeping the ball and rushing for a first down to put the nail in the coffin for the Seahawks. Of course, there was more than that, but those are the two I remember the most.

I remember that long pass to Ward at the 1 (right before the "controversial" TD run by Ben). He scrambled around and improvised. He wasn't a great passer that day but he found a way to make that play. A very important play.

polamalubeast
11-21-2018, 03:45 PM
His pass at the end of the 3rd quarter in the end zone that was intercepted was a killer for his QB rating.

I mean, if he completes this easy pass, it's an easy TD, instead it was an interception.

tube517
11-21-2018, 03:48 PM
His pass at the end of the 3rd quarter in the end zone that was intercepted was a killer for his QB rating.

I mean, if he completes this easy pass, it's an easy TD, instead it was an interception.

That would have put the game away.

pczach
11-21-2018, 07:28 PM

When Terry was the same age as Ben was in that Super Bowl, he couldn't come close to playing the position the way Ben did.

That is, if we're being honest and fair about things.

Terry would have had zero shot to lead Ben's team to a Super Bowl at the same stage of his career. It took Terry many years to start to figure things out.

Taking his team to a Super Bowl in his second year in the NFL is something Terry was incapable of. I don't look at that as a negative for Ben when comparing the two.

FrancoLambert
11-21-2018, 09:29 PM

:hatsoff:

Throwing shade at Terry and downplaying his role because he played with a legendary defense doesn’t make sense.

I don’t remember Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, or Mel Blount throwing many TD passes.

Craic
11-21-2018, 09:39 PM
They both have their positives and negatives.

Terry: Big arm. Fast release. His throw sometimes looked more like a twitch the a windup and chuck. Also, he was gold in big games. I'd take Terry over Ben in the SB any day.

Ben: Big arm (not as big as Terry, though), hard to bring down, can extend plays. Not necessarily fast in his motion, but can put the ball out in unorthodox styles and get it to receivers or RBs when necessary. I'd take Ben over Terry any season or playoff game outside the SB.

Together: both of them like a little bit of drama

Tiebreaker: Terry has a Cowboy album. Ben Doesn't. Winner: Ben. :chuckle:

Dwinsgames
11-21-2018, 09:52 PM
They both have their positives and negatives.

Terry: Big arm. Fast release. His throw sometimes looked more like a twitch the a windup and chuck. Also, he was gold in big games. I'd take Terry over Ben in the SB any day.

Ben: Big arm (not as big as Terry, though), hard to bring down, can extend plays. Not necessarily fast in his motion, but can put the ball out in unorthodox styles and get it to receivers or RBs when necessary. I'd take Ben over Terry any season or playoff game outside the SB.

Together: both of them like a little bit of drama

Tiebreaker: Terry has a Cowboy album. Ben Doesn't. Winner: Ben. :chuckle:

wait a second ... Terry also beat the Cowboys in the SB twice ( when HoF QB Staubach led them )

Steeler-in-west
11-22-2018, 01:22 AM
Can't go against Terry as well, (saw him play as a little kid like some others here), maybe not as mobile as Ben but a great passer: best deep passer I've ever seen; and never lost a super bowl. Ben has great pocket awareness and is great at making something out of nothing, that's his strength, (although Terry was good at this also), but I give the nod to Terry as the better overall passer.

They're 1A and 1B to me, Ben is easily the best QB the Steelers have had since Terry and I seriously doubt we'll see another QB as good after he retires (for a long time anyway). I put him as top three or four in the league right now.

However, i'd like to see Ben have one more great super bowl moment before I think about putting him equal or past Terry.

Butch
11-22-2018, 04:22 AM
wait a second ... Terry also beat the Cowboys in the SB twice ( when HoF QB Staubach led them )

When they had Tom Landry as coach who is always mentioned as one of the greatest ever even though he couldn't be Chuck Noll who they usually forget to mention. Then when they do mention his name on tv (Fox), they can't even spell it right. It's on the banner of Steeler greats in the background for crying out loud.

tube517
11-22-2018, 05:41 AM

And to top it off, Terry called his own plays. Staubach did not.

teegre
11-22-2018, 07:33 AM
I wore a Terry Bradshaw jersey for my first-grade school picture.

Since then, Terry has been an a$$hole to Art Rooney, Sr., to Chuck Noll, and to basically the entire city of Pittsburgh.

GoSlash27
11-22-2018, 10:17 AM
I wore a Terry Bradshaw jersey for my first-grade school picture.

Since then, Terry has been an a$$hole to Art Rooney, Sr., to Chuck Noll, and to basically the entire city of Pittsburgh.

Teegre,
This is why I say Big Ben is mentally tougher than Terry. When he was struggling in his early years, he took all that disapproval to heart. That overshadowed the later adoration in his mind, making it seem insincere.
I can't really blame him for how he withdrew and resented Pittsburgh and Chuck Noll. That whole experience really hurt his feelings. He has since come around and realized that Yinzerville really does love him.

https://youtu.be/FwQR5MO9ipQ?t=2028

st33lersguy
11-22-2018, 11:27 AM
It is difficult comparing the two. Bradshaw has the Super Bowl edge but that can be explained by the surrounding team (Ben had a great team around him, but not playing with 8 other hall of fame players plus one of the greatest head coaches ever). Ben has the age in stats, but the difference there can be explained by the different rules they played under