PDA

View Full Version : Week 12: Denver Broncos

st33lersguy
11-18-2018, 08:37 PM
2nd consecutive week Steelers play a team for the first time since they lost to them in the playoffs (albeit this team is so much different than in 2015). Denver has been a house of horrors though this decade (0-3 at Mile High this decade)

Butch
11-18-2018, 08:39 PM
2nd consecutive week Steelers play a team for the first time since they lost to them in the playoffs (albeit this team is so much different than in 2015). Denver has been a house of horrors though this decade (0-3 at Mile High this decade)

While that may be true I still remember a playoff game in 05 that wasn't to bad.

st33lersguy
11-18-2018, 08:47 PM
While that may be true I still remember a playoff game in 05 that wasn't to bad.

Hence the emphasis on this decade.

Butch
11-18-2018, 08:49 PM
Hence the emphasis on this decade.
Yep I acknowledged it but we have won there with Ben.

GoSlash27
11-18-2018, 09:04 PM
I'm not really ready to talk about Denver yet, but I will say this:
Champions beat weak teams. This game decides whether we play NE at Hines Field or Foxboro in the playoffs. If we can't win in Denver, there's no point in even talking about the superbowl.
I believe we are the superior team and have the ability to kick their asses straight up between their shoulder blades and we're not losing trap games this year.

Pittsburgh should open about 6 point favorites in Denver. If I was a betting man, I'd pick the "over".

Iron Steeler
11-18-2018, 09:18 PM
This is the "Trap game"

Craic
11-18-2018, 09:18 PM
I'm not really ready to talk about Denver yet, but I will say this:
Champions beat weak teams. This game decides whether we play NE at Hines Field or Foxboro in the playoffs. If we can't win in Denver, there's no point in even talking about the superbowl.
I believe we are the superior team and have the ability to kick their asses straight up between their shoulder blades and we're not losing trap games this year.

Pittsburgh should open about 6 point favorites in Denver. If I was a betting man, I'd pick the "over".

As to the bold . . . I get what you're saying, but in the NFL, the difference between championship teams and weak teams is so slender that all it takes is good matchup and you're going to struggle. I mean, the Pats* were toasted by the Titans, who then turned around and got thumped today by the Colts.

fansince'76
11-18-2018, 09:19 PM

Went in person to the Steelers' 28-10 victory in Mile High in 2009 before that season went into the crapper.

Mojouw
11-18-2018, 09:23 PM
As to the bold . . . I get what you're saying, but in the NFL, the difference between championship teams and weak teams is so slender that all it takes is good matchup and you're going to struggle. I mean, the Pats* were toasted by the Titans, who then turned around and got thumped today by the Colts.
But remember over 40 years ago good teams never lost to bad teams. No need to ever recalibrate expectations.

GoSlash27
11-18-2018, 09:36 PM
But remember over 40 years ago good teams never lost to bad teams. No need to ever recalibrate expectations.

Mojo,
I'm not even coming from that angle.
This is a must-win game for us so long as NE doesn't stumble. #2 seed depends on it. We either do it or we're not a superbowl team. We have yet to drop a trap game this year and I expect us to stick to that.

Mojouw
11-18-2018, 10:24 PM
Mojo,
I'm not even coming from that angle.
This is a must-win game for us so long as NE doesn't stumble. #2 seed depends on it. We either do it or we're not a superbowl team. We have yet to drop a trap game this year and I expect us to stick to that.

I think all the seeding stuff and who beats who is overblown, I always have. The only must-win games are elimination games.

Honestly, I think part of the reason is that I don’t think anyone is stopping the Chiefs seeming inexorable march to AFC supremacy.

Edman
11-18-2018, 11:03 PM
Honestly, I think part of the reason is that I don’t think anyone is stopping the Chiefs seeming inexorable march to AFC supremacy.

Andy Reid and that 30th-ranked Chiefs Defense may say otherwise. Mahomes can't cover up their issues forever.

Mahomes went off for 6 TD's against a Steelers team playing as poorly as any I've seen, and the game still wasn't settled until the end.

Born2Steel
11-18-2018, 11:06 PM
Just run over them. What do the Broncos do well? Pass rush and a good secondary. Run the ball through and over them.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-18-2018, 11:19 PM
Just run over them. What do the Broncos do well? Pass rush and a good secondary. Run the ball through and over them.

Agreed. The only question I have is IF the Steelers will try and do that?

Jaguars give up 109 yards rushing per game(15th in NFL) and the Steelers gave it to James Connor 5 times in the first half. 9 rushes the entire game. Broncos give up 127 yards rushing per game(27th ranked), so I'm not any more confident that the Steelers will try and stick with the run game this week either.

polamalubeast
11-19-2018, 12:14 AM
The Broncos have played a lot of close games at home against a very good team this year....Lost 19-17 against Houston, lost 23-20 against the Rams and 27-23 against the Chiefs .... The Broncos led 23-13 before the 4th quarter in this game I think.

The victory against the chargers on the road should give them confidence, so the Steelers need to be ready

86WARD
11-19-2018, 07:35 AM
I think all the seeding stuff and who beats who is overblown, I always have. The only must-win games are elimination games.

Steelers went blow for blow with the Chiefs and the Steelers Defense is vast improved. I think they could compete with the Chiefs. Then there’s Andy Reid’s playoff success. The key to victory will be playing the Chiefs in the Championship round. Playing them coming off a bye will be an automatic loss as Reid’s record after a bye week is off the charts. Way off...

AtlantaDan
11-19-2018, 07:46 AM

Because the Chiefs and Andy Reid are unbeatable at Arrowhead in January. :rolleyes:

I will believe this time is different when the Chiefs and Reid show it is different by not finding a way to screw up hosting a playoff game

As for the upcoming game, Steelers open as 3&1/2 point favorites

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/

polamalubeast
11-19-2018, 07:50 AM
Steelers went blow for blow with the Chiefs and the Steelers Defense is vast improved. I think they could compete with the Chiefs. Then there’s Andy Reid’s playoff success. The key to victory will be playing the Chiefs in the Championship round. Playing them coming off a bye will be an automatic loss as Reid’s record after a bye week is off the charts. Way off...

It would be important to have a BYE in the playoffs, especially because it would be very hard to beat the Pats and the Chiefs, both on the road.

A lot of football remains to play, but the record of Andy Reid after a bye is not great in the last couple years ... The steelers beat the chiefs in the 2016 playoffs after a bye by the chiefs .... But of course it was against Alex Smith.

- - - Updated - - -

Because the Chiefs and Andy Reid are unbeatable at Arrowhead in January. :rolleyes:

I will believe this time is different when the Chiefs and Reid show it is different by not finding a way to screw up hosting a playoff game

As for the upcoming game, Steelers open as 3&1/2 point favorites

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/

I agree that the Chiefs are not invincible, especially because of their defense, but I would not be surprised to see the Chiefs go to the Super Bowl this year because it's not Alex Smith their QB ...

Not many believed in chiefs in other seasons because of Smith ... Of course their loss against the Titans last year was unacceptable.

EzraTank
11-19-2018, 07:57 AM

I would agree, but this year you want to avoid the #4 seed if possible. The #4 seed would host a whoever doesn't win the AFC West (Chiefs/Chargers) then assuming you win that game would then travel to the #1 seed. So you could essentially be playing two teams with a better record than you right off the bat.

At this point I'd settle for #2 or #3.

GoSlash27
11-19-2018, 09:24 AM
It would be important to have a BYE in the playoffs, especially because it would be very hard to beat the Pats and the Chiefs, both on the road.

^ This. We're in a dogfight with NE for the #2 and #3 seed. I believe we're good enough to beat NE at home, but not at Foxboro. We have to stay ahead of them, and the way to do that is by not dropping games we're supposed to win. NE has a pretty soft schedule from here on out.

Mojouw
11-19-2018, 09:47 AM
I would agree, but this year you want to avoid the #4 seed if possible. The #4 seed would host a whoever doesn't win the AFC West (Chiefs/Chargers) then assuming you win that game would then travel to the #1 seed. So you could essentially be playing two teams with a better record than you right off the bat.

At this point I'd settle for #2 or #3.

You are not wrong, nor are the others talking about the importance of this or that seeding. It is just a stubborn believe I have that if you need to get to the SB by taking the easiest route through the AFC field, what is the point? Because you will then just get smoked by the NFL champs in the SB?

Either you can beat good teams or you can't.

Like I said, I realize this is ridiculous on my part. In an NFL where almost nothing separates one team from the next, you want to avoid playing as many "elite" teams as possible because anything can happen on any given Sunday and it is so hard to win.

It would be ideal to take the #2 seed. But I can't help feeling that it kinda won't matter this year.

EzraTank
11-19-2018, 10:22 AM
You are not wrong, nor are the others talking about the importance of this or that seeding. It is just a stubborn believe I have that if you need to get to the SB by taking the easiest route through the AFC field, what is the point? Because you will then just get smoked by the NFL champs in the SB?

Like I said, I realize this is ridiculous on my part. In an NFL where almost nothing separates one team from the next, you want to avoid playing as many "elite" teams as possible because anything can happen on any given Sunday and it is so hard to win.

It would be ideal to take the #2 seed. But I can't help feeling that it kinda won't matter this year.

I agree you should beat the best to be the best but sometimes avoiding bad match-ups helps. We historically play bad against the Patriots and in both our runs (2005/08) we avoided playing them and still won the Superbowl.

Fire Goodell
11-19-2018, 10:28 AM
This is the "Trap game"

Yep. But let me say that this Denver team is NOT a bad team. Their record is bad, but they've played a murderer's row schedule and with a couple of lucky breaks they'd be at .500

Always tough to play at mile high as well. I think we might lose this one but I hope the team proves me wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. The only question I have is IF the Steelers will try and do that?

Jaguars give up 109 yards rushing per game(15th in NFL) and the Steelers gave it to James Connor 5 times in the first half. 9 rushes the entire game. Broncos give up 127 yards rushing per game(27th ranked), so I'm not any more confident that the Steelers will try and stick with the run game this week either.

Yeah we weren't able to get into a rhythm early on partially because Ben was missing wide open guys and that killed a bunch of drives that should have kept going. And I was fuming after a 3rd and long 1 call was a QB sneak, i was like FFS are you kidding me? Sneaks are run when there's like half a yard or less to go, but not a FULL yard. That should have been Conner all the way.

GoSlash27
11-19-2018, 10:43 AM

The difference isn't in avoiding elite teams. I believe that we are, in fact, a better team than NE this year. I also believe that we can beat KC at Arrowhead and compete with the NFC's best on neutral ground.
But I do not believe that we can beat NE in Foxboro. We all know how they and the fanbase do everything in their power to stack the deck.

We will have the opportunity to see how worthy the Steelers are. In the meantime, no dropping games we're supposed to win.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-19-2018, 10:43 AM
. And I was fuming after a 3rd and long 1 call was a QB sneak, i was like FFS are you kidding me? Sneaks are run when there's like half a yard or less to go, but not a FULL yard. That should have been Conner all the way.

I know!! 3rd and a long yard and you QB sneak????

Use Conner, or Ridley or any RB behind Nix and go get 1 yard. I know the Haley haters love the QB sneak, but that was not the right distance to be letting your franchise QB try and get the yard.

Rotorhead
11-19-2018, 10:49 AM
The best way to beat the Broncos is pressure on Keenum, that is all. Their defense isnt as good as it once was, their OL is less than average, they have 1 good WR end one up and coming WR. They have a decent running game, but nothing like the jags.

As for playoff byes, I almost don’t want one, we seem to play poorly for at least a half after a bye so I almost would rather them play with no bye.

polamalubeast
11-19-2018, 10:53 AM
The best way to beat the Broncos is pressure on Keenum, that is all. Their defense isnt as good as it once was, their OL is less than average, they have 1 good WR end one up and coming WR. They have a decent running game, but nothing like the jags.

As for playoff byes, I almost don’t want one, we seem to play poorly for at least a half after a bye so I almost would rather them play with no bye.

What do you prefer

Play against a team like the red hot Colts,Chargers or Baltimore in wild card round and after playing on the road against New England or KC in the divisional round or playing at home in this round with no wild card game?

86WARD
11-19-2018, 10:53 AM
I have this down as a hard loss. I think they lose here then come back to win at home against LAC and on the road in OAK. If they get out of that 2-1 or better, that should be fine.

Rotorhead
11-19-2018, 11:02 AM
What do you prefer

Play against a team like the red hot Colts,Chargers or Baltimore in wild card round and after playing on the road against New England or KC in the divisional round or playing at home in this round with no wild card game?

It won’t matter if we come out flat for a half after a bye, which we did last year against the Jags. I would rather have the 1 seed and Olay home games, but having the bye makes me nervous for the above reason. Besides, if we are the 1-2 seed, we are the red hot team heading into the playoffs!

AtlantaDan
11-19-2018, 11:17 AM
Yep. But let me say that this Denver team is NOT a bad team. Their record is bad, but they've played a murderer's row schedule and with a couple of lucky breaks they'd be at .500

Always tough to play at mile high as well. I think we might lose this one but I hope the team proves me wrong..

At least it is not like the games they started out at a disadvantage (including the Tebow game) because Ryan Clark was held out for medical reasons due to the altitude

polamalubeast
11-19-2018, 11:20 AM
The Broncos are first in yards per run this year(5.2) and 3rd in rushing TD with 13.....It will be important for the steelers to contain their running game.

stillers4me
11-20-2018, 05:34 AM

GoSlash27
11-20-2018, 06:06 AM

Obviously :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99m46vMAcvI

86WARD
11-20-2018, 09:45 AM
Hey whatever works...

Half the guys are laughing.

tube517
11-20-2018, 11:53 AM
Obviously :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99m46vMAcvI

Where's Ben in that video??? :stirthepot: :chuckle:

EzraTank
11-20-2018, 01:22 PM
I have this down as a hard loss. I think they lose here then come back to win at home against LAC and on the road in OAK. If they get out of that 2-1 or better, that should be fine.

I go into every game as a loss (it's the Jersey in me) and until they win I believe this. It's the only way to survive.

I agree though they need to go 2-1 over the next three games. But as usual it's going to come down to the NE game whether they get a bye or not. The Pats have a cream-puff schedule. The Vikings are fading and outside of us they play Jets (twice), Bills, Dolphins. If they beat us they probably get a bye and we're the #3 seed. Plus they hold the tie breaker over KC which means #1 could fall into their laps again. God I hate the Patriots.

GoSlash27
11-20-2018, 05:51 PM
The Vikings are fading and outside of us they play Jets (twice), Bills, Dolphins. If they beat us they probably get a bye and we're the #3 seed.

You mean the Pats? Yeah. If everything shakes out as expected, then beating the Pats in Pittsburgh is key to the whole thing. Twice, in fact; once in week 15 to secure the #2 seed and once in the divisional round to show that the first time wasn't a fluke. I *do* believe that we are the superior team this year and can do this.
But if we *lose* to NE in Pittsburgh, then our path to the superbowl goes through Foxboro. I do not believe that we are capable of doing this.

The basic strategy is "Must wine, no more can loose", with the exception of the Saints game. If we drop *any* game with the exception of NO, then we won't get 2 seed without help.

GoSlash27
11-20-2018, 06:04 PM
My main concern...

Just found out that Matt Feiler has a pec injury. And of course Big Ragu is still out with his knee. If neither is ready for Sunday, we may be in trouble.

AtlantaDan
11-20-2018, 06:16 PM
My main concern...

Just found out that Matt Feiler has a pec injury. And of course Big Ragu is still out with his knee. If neither is ready for Sunday, we may be in trouble.

Rehabbing without PEDs apparently is a struggle for Gilbert

pczach
11-20-2018, 08:31 PM
Where's Ben in that video??? :stirthepot: :chuckle:

https://media.giphy.com/media/pMOM3aVUMMGaI/giphy.gif

- - - Updated - - -

Rehabbing without PEDs apparently is a struggle for Gilbert

I've been saying the same thing for a while now. He's hardly on the field the last few years.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-20-2018, 08:59 PM
My main concern...

Foster is fine. Its Gilbert that still has the knee issue. Feiler with pec injury might be a blessing as his biggest problem is with speed rushers like the Broncos have. If needed then its next man up Okorafor, who is a better athlete than Feiler with long arms to handle the speed rush outside. The only thing I saw in preseason is he wasn't really technically sound then to handle the inside counter move and at times he wasn't low enough in run game. I'm hopeful that he has gotten better as the season has gone on.

If he is next man up, that likely means Zach Banner would dress as the swing tackle.

Moose
11-21-2018, 10:38 AM
Hey all, let's not get all 'hyped' up about seeds this early.....let's not forget we won a SUPER BOWL at 6th seed when every possible odd was against us ! Long shots are possible as we all know. This team proves every year/week, that you just never know who shows up on game days.....whether the whole complete team to plays hard, or an individual player steps up and blows the lights out and wins the game single handedly.

Fire Goodell
11-21-2018, 11:09 AM
Hey all, let's not get all 'hyped' up about seeds this early.....let's not forget we won a SUPER BOWL at 6th seed when every possible odd was against us ! Long shots are possible as we all know. This team proves every year/week, that you just never know who shows up on game days.....whether the whole complete team to plays hard, or an individual player steps up and blows the lights out and wins the game single handedly.

It's ok to be happy when your team has the 2nd best record in the AFC though, but I get you. I honestly think this game is another huge test for this team. In the past we've had letdowns against teams we should beat. I had a feeling this year's team is different, and winning this game would be a good indicator that we're not getting too overconfident against losing teams.

Last week's win, although ugly, did prove that this team had no quit, and sometimes championship teams win these really ugly games.

steel striker
11-21-2018, 11:11 AM
I just hope the offense can get going early and, don't let Von Miller have an impact. I like the pass rush our defense has been getting.

Moose
11-21-2018, 11:22 AM
I agree 'Fire Goodell', I am happy the Steeler's have a good record....but don't forget we TIED the damn Brown's ! What the hell does that say ? This team just doesn't know how ( except for the Panther's game) to knock a team down, put their foot on the throat and finish a team off. IF you can dominate....then dominate, and keep scoring until the clock reads 0 time left! Quit that conservative shit, which this team does, and has LOST games because of.

GoSlash27
11-21-2018, 11:35 AM
Foster is fine. Its Gilbert that still has the knee issue. Feiler with pec injury might be a blessing as his biggest problem is with speed rushers like the Broncos have. If needed then its next man up Okorafor, who is a better athlete than Feiler with long arms to handle the speed rush outside. The only thing I saw in preseason is he wasn't really technically sound then to handle the inside counter move and at times he wasn't low enough in run game. I'm hopeful that he has gotten better as the season has gone on.

If he is next man up, that likely means Zach Banner would dress as the swing tackle.

Sorry, yeah... Gilbert. I just worry about performance against Denver's pass rush. How deep can we go into O line depth before we start giving up sacks?

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-21-2018, 11:58 AM
Sorry, yeah... Gilbert. I just worry about performance against Denver's pass rush. How deep can we go into O line depth before we start giving up sacks?

True, but as much as everybody on the board wanted to anoint Feiler the next great RT because of a post last week....he athletically looks like he would struggle with speed rushers like Ngakoue last Sunday. He did struggle last week from what I saw.

Its getting deep in the OT roster, but the rookie Okorafor is very athletic with very long arms and can handle a guy running the arc. The only thing I see is that somebody sets him up outside and then counters inside, so his balance and footwork might not have him in place to stop the counter move. Tomlin mentioned that they like to get their swing OT in the game as playing TE. They did it with AV, Hubbard, Okorafor. Hopefully if he gets the call, Chuks game experience and work on technique will get it done.

Fire Goodell
11-21-2018, 12:19 PM
Well if we're starting a 3rd string tackle it's a good thing we'd only be giving up dong sacks

tube517
11-21-2018, 03:19 PM

Fire Goodell
11-21-2018, 03:41 PM
oh no it's dong miller time

GoSlash27
11-21-2018, 04:07 PM
True, but as much as everybody on the board wanted to anoint Feiler the next great RT because of a post last week....
I don't know about all that, I was just comfortable with him subbing because he's done such a great job these last 4 weeks. He's a known quantity to me. Chuks isn't.

Don't mind me, just livin' in my fears :D

-Slashy

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-21-2018, 04:58 PM
I don't know about all that, I was just comfortable with him subbing because he's done such a great job these last 4 weeks. He's a known quantity to me. Chuks isn't.

Don't mind me, just livin' in my fears :D

-Slashy

Actually, Feiler hasn't been that great in pass protection the past few weeks. He looked really ugly at times last weekend. If its not a sack, most don't see it, but its there. He is better inside than on the edge.

polamalubeast
11-24-2018, 04:39 PM

Fire Goodell
11-24-2018, 06:01 PM

I honestly don't remember much of that game, I was drunk off my ass by halftime :chuckle:

I think this was one of the few games in the playoffs that I had utmost confidence in the team, I knew we were going to win. With how we dismantled Indy the week before, I knew nothing was gonna stop this team from taking it all.

Hawkman
11-24-2018, 06:10 PM
Wow! Taylor Made a catch.:sofunny:

tube517
11-24-2018, 06:39 PM
They didn't show Polamalu's crazy falling sideways tackle of the Denver RB. One of the most athletic plays I have ever seen

HollywoodSteel
11-24-2018, 10:35 PM
We’ve gotten to the Super Bowl before without having to go through New England, and I remember not getting smoked by the NFC team.

I don’t consider those Super Bowl victories tainted in any way.

My point is, I’m perfectly happy getting the number 2 seed and any other advantage we can possibly have to help us get to the Super Bowl. And the less games we have to play on route, the less chances for injuries. I think it’s totally reasonable to like our chances vs. an NFC team on neutral ground more than against Tom Brady in New England.

We don’t need any more iron sharpening iron. We’ve had enough iron in our diet. I just want to eat that Bowl full of Super already. :)

teegre
11-25-2018, 09:44 AM
They didn't show Polamalu's crazy falling sideways tackle of the Denver RB. One of the most athletic plays I have ever seen

Yep :nod: That was the craziest tackle I’ve ever seen Troy make (and, Troy had oodles of crazy tackles from which to choose).

tube517
11-25-2018, 10:28 AM
Yep :nod: That was the craziest tackle I’ve ever seen Troy make (and, Troy had oodles of crazy tackles from which to choose).

About 5:24 into the video. Not a great angle but I can't find any other video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJEu0svWkrc

Shoes
11-25-2018, 10:00 PM

It was indeed.

Lady Steel
11-26-2018, 12:53 AM
It was indeed.

Aha! So it's 86Ward's fault we lost since he put that out into the Universe.

Damn you, @86WARD, damn you to hell! :pin: :chuckle:

86WARD
11-26-2018, 09:35 AM
Aha! So it's 86Ward's fault we lost since he put that out into the Universe.

Damn you, @86WARD, damn you to hell! :pin: :chuckle:

Sometimes I get it right. Unfortunately I also said The Offense would turn the ball over on that last drive well before the drive started...lol. Ouch...