PDA

View Full Version : Reed getting his kicks into the end zone

stillers4me
09-23-2010, 05:09 AM
By Mark Kaboly (mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com), TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, September 23, 2010

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2010-09-22/reed-a.jpg

In addition to making seven of his nine field-goal attempts this season, Jeff Reed has been getting touchbacks with greater regularity than the past on his kickoffs.
Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review

Jeff Reed was the worst in the NFL a year ago when it came to touchbacks. Of his 81 kickoffs, Reed was credited with only three touchbacks.

Through the first two games of this season, Reed has kicked off 10 times, and two of the kicks have been touchbacks.

There is a pretty good reason for the extra power in Reed's right leg.
Two weeks ago, he decided to change his kickoff steps that have resulted in some discomfort but a lot more power....................
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_700839.html

steelpride12
09-23-2010, 09:34 AM
I mean it's good to see him finally getting those kicks into the endzone for sure. Not going to lie everytime he does I have to rewind the TV a few times it's so hard to believe!

Chidi29
09-23-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm glad to see he's kicking it a bit further, but I've always maintained that hangtime is infinitely more important.

SteelerSal
09-23-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm glad to see he's kicking it a bit further, but I've always maintained that hangtime is infinitely more important.

I agree. I would rather see the ball kicked to the 10 with enough hangtime to have our defenders inside the opponents 20 than to have it kicked 2 yards into the endzone while our coverage team is just crossing the opponents 40.

solardave
09-23-2010, 03:43 PM
QUOTE=SteelerSal;60596]I agree. I would rather see the ball kicked to the 10 with enough hangtime to have our defenders inside the opponents 20 than to have it kicked 2 yards into the endzone while our coverage team is just crossing the opponents 40.[/QUOTE]

I also agree. The problem in the past was the guys got down there and then forgot why they were there!:sofunny:

HometownGal
09-23-2010, 05:07 PM

How dare you make total sense! :heh: :thumbsup:

I agree 100%, but try to sell that to some Steelers fans who think that Reed should kick the ball into the back part of the EZ on every kickoff.

I would rather see the ball kicked to the 10 with enough hangtime to have our defenders inside the opponents 20 than to have it kicked 2 yards into the endzone while our coverage team is just crossing the opponents 40.

And Bingo was his name-o. :thumbsup:

steelreserve
09-23-2010, 11:17 PM

I agree. I would rather see the ball kicked to the 10 with enough hangtime to have our defenders inside the opponents 20 than to have it kicked 2 yards into the endzone while our coverage team is just crossing the opponents 40.

Only problem is that before, Reed would kick it to the 10 or 15 with no hangtime, or if he was getting enough hangtime, our guys must have just been lazy. The defenders rarely had a chance to make a tackle before the 35 most of the time. I like this way much better than last year.

Galax Steeler
09-24-2010, 03:17 AM
I will take the endzone or the 10 everytime if our team can get down there and make a quick tackle not letting them past the 20.

cold-hard-steel
09-24-2010, 10:04 AM
I think its good to have a kicker that can place the ball in the endzone anytime he so chooses.It depends on the circumstances of the game and how it is unfolding i know.If you could put a ball through the goalposts on a kick off you'd be one hell of a kicker.Man if only he could tackle. Sorry,had to say that,but really,the way our special teams were playing in the previous years,you would think it a good idea to go for the touchback.That alone could have prevented a #7 trophy.I like the idea of him reaching the endzone,"and thats all i have to say about that".