PDA

View Full Version : Steelers offensive line bonding into the leagues very best

stillers4me
11-15-2018, 05:31 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/pittsburgh-steelers) have now won five straight games and continue to “stack wins.” After their 52-21 thrashing of the Carolina Panthers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/carolina-panthers) in Week 10, the team now has a chance to rest and relax and prepare for the Jacksonville Jaguars (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/jacksonville-jaguars) in Week 11.

Today in the Black-and-gold links article, we talk about the Steelers’ offensive line. When someone talks about the team’s offensive resurgence, you can’t talk about skill players like Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1630/ben-roethlisberger), James Conner (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/285786/james-conner) or Antonio Brown (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108636/antonio-brown) without talking about the big men up front doing the dirty work.

A combination of high draft picks and hard-working undrafted free agents and what you have is a Mike Munchak masterpiece..........

Read more @ https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/11/15/18095470/steelers-news-steelers-offensive-line-bonding-into-the-leagues-very-best-mike-munchak-nfl

86WARD
11-15-2018, 05:36 AM
They’ve been at that level...

Fire Goodell
11-15-2018, 05:40 AM
Maybe they were already that good. Run game success is probably easier to block for someone like Conner perhaps? Same personnel but they just seem to be playing with more nastiness

GBMelBlount
11-15-2018, 06:33 AM
Maybe they were already that good.

Run game success is probably easier to block for someone like Conner perhaps?

Same personnel but they just seem to be playing with more nastiness

I think we can attribute a lot of that to Le'veon Bell.

He may end up being the most valuable "player" with regard to the Steelers' success this year.

GoSlash27
11-15-2018, 08:11 AM
I don't think the o line has really improved since the start of the season; I think they were playing this well the entire time.
I think we just got off to a slow start because Ben wasn't up to game speed. That also hurt our productivity running the ball because we had to abandon it.

polamalubeast
11-15-2018, 08:14 AM
I don't think the o line has really improved since the start of the season; I think they were playing this well the entire time.
I think we just got off to a slow start because Ben wasn't up to game speed. That also hurt our productivity running the ball because we had to abandon it.

Decastro was also out for 2 games.

SteelMember
11-15-2018, 08:31 AM
Decastro was also out for 2 games.

...and Gilbert's missed a bunch of games already.

GoSlash27
11-15-2018, 08:51 AM
...and Gilbert's missed a bunch of games already.

True, but Feiler has proven that he can step in and do the job just as well. The Steelers "hogs" are best in the NFL, regardless of whether Gilbert or Feiler is in.

SteelMember
11-15-2018, 09:28 AM
True, but Feiler has proven that he can step in and do the job just as well. The Steelers "hogs" are best in the NFL, regardless of whether Gilbert or Feiler is in.

Exactly my point. Usually you equate the "bonding" to having your starters out there on a consistent basis. The fact they have been good even with the shuffle of backups says a lot more. Even the game DeCastro and Gilbert were out netted a Win .vs the Bucs. Pouncey and Foster were also on the injury report earlier that week as well.

So, yes... we have some very good talent, and a coach that has done a fine job getting them on the same page. I'm thankful because there was a time, in the not too distant past, the o-line was not very good... to say the least.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-15-2018, 09:33 AM
They looked rusty the first few weeks. Foster missed most of preseasons, Conner a new back to block for, Okorafor replaced Hubbard in 7 O line formations. Add to that Randy Fichtner finding his way as an OC and giving up on the run a bit early at times or having to play from behind and pass protect as the Steelers got to that 1-2-1 record.

IMO, the more you let the big men up front go out and be the hammer in run blocking, the more physical a midset they get. Add the fact they have 3 pro bowlers on the line and a RB with a physical running style and it becomes a good relationship and maybe its easier to lock in on your details, technique and assignments when you and your RB's start being the hammer as opposed to always being the nail in pass protection.

Its straight up truth and always has been for decades. "It all starts up front"!

Mojouw
11-15-2018, 10:08 AM
The run game is playing to their strengths. The physical ability that multiple members of the Steelers O-line have that other teams lack is the ability to get out on the pull and get into the second level. Having one guy that can do that is pretty common. Having 3 is not.

For whatever the reason they seem to be calling more power plays this season with a pulling lineman. That has been helped by having a healthy Vance McDonald and an improved James at the TE spots actually setting and sealing an edge for the RB to get around.

DesertSteel
11-15-2018, 10:46 AM
What is Feiler's contract status going forward?

- - - Updated - - -

For whatever the reason they seem to be calling more power plays this season with a pulling lineman. That has been helped by having a healthy Vance McDonald and an improved James at the TE spots actually setting and sealing an edge for the RB to get around.
I never thought I'd see the day when you were complimentary of Jesse James' blocking lol. Nice.

GoSlash27
11-15-2018, 10:53 AM
He's a free agent after this season. I *really* hope we can keep him.

Mojouw
11-15-2018, 12:22 PM
What is Feiler's contract status going forward?

- - - Updated - - -

I never thought I'd see the day when you were complimentary of Jesse James' blocking lol. Nice.

I mean it still isn't good, but at least he doesn't fall down or get put on roller skates every play! The dude clearly works hard and improves aspects of his game every off-season. I am fan and root for him, but I just can't understand how a dude that large falls down so easily.

ALLD
11-15-2018, 01:40 PM
The Steel Wall. Build it!

Mojouw
11-15-2018, 02:09 PM
The Steel Wall. Build it!

Only if the Ravens pay for it?

Istina
11-15-2018, 02:16 PM
The run game is playing to their strengths. The physical ability that multiple members of the Steelers O-line have that other teams lack is the ability to get out on the pull and get into the second level. Having one guy that can do that is pretty common. Having 3 is not.

I would say that has to do with running style. James Conner's running style wants the linemen to be nasty and move somebody from point A to point B because Conner is coming through like a freight train. Le'Veon Bell on the other hand used patience and vision for his success, requiring the linemen to handle their guy for a little longer and then letting Bell determine where the hole can be found. Conner will make one cut and go and is hoping the hole is where it's supposed to be, IMO. Offensive linemen would rather try to impose their will on the defense rather than block and sustain, I think.

Fire Goodell
11-15-2018, 03:56 PM

Le'Veon paid for it, with 14.5 mil :chuckle:

Use that to extend Ramon Foster and Hilton?

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-15-2018, 05:24 PM
Le'Veon paid for it, with 14.5 mil :chuckle:

Use that to extend Ramon Foster and Hilton?

Not sure if they back the truck up for Foster. He will be 33 years old in January and I think they might look at putting that money to Finney instead. Finney is on the last year of his exclusive rights FA contract and approx. 6 years younger.

If they can do a deal with Foster they can get out of in 3 seasons or less, then maybe he stays on, but otherwise its time for the young guys to rotate into the lineup.

GBMelBlount
11-15-2018, 05:53 PM
Not sure if they back the truck up for Foster.

He will be 33 years old in January and I think they might look at putting that money to Finney instead.

Finney is on the last year of his exclusive rights FA contract and approx. 6 years younger.

If they can do a deal with Foster they can get out of in 3 seasons or less, then maybe he stays on, but otherwise its time for the young guys to rotate into the lineup.

Signing Finney is a better short and long term decision.

1. We get him much cheaper which frees up additonal money for acquiring any last pieces we need to make another championship run.

2. He solidifies the position longer term.

3. Munchak has more time to continue to draft and turn mid/late round projects into quality starters at a great value.

We already have a pretty expensive line. Great value, but expensive, nonetheless.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

Fire Goodell
11-15-2018, 06:07 PM

1. We get him much cheaper which frees up additonal money for acquiring any last pieces we need to make another championship run.

3. Munchak has more time to continue to draft and turn mid/late round projects into quality starters at a great value.

We already have a pretty expensive line. Great value, but expensive, nonetheless.

I'm all for paying the big guys up front, they're what wins the games. Chances are if you control the line of scrimmage, you win.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-15-2018, 06:44 PM

I agree, you cant pay everybody big bucks. I think 1 pro bowler at guard in DeCastro is good and you put another good but less expensive guy on the other side. Finney is a younger version of Foster and we still don't know what Jerald Hawkins is. The kid is a heck of a run blocker and may benefit from moving inside if he can ever stay healthy.

Gilbert is another guy they extend his deal and defer money, as he is only signed thru 2019....or else they project Chukks or Feiler out there after next season when Gilbert is 32 years old. Good young talent out there on the line.

86WARD
11-15-2018, 07:49 PM

Mic drop.

tube517
11-15-2018, 09:42 PM
I agree, you cant pay everybody big bucks. I think 1 pro bowler at guard in DeCastro is good and you put another good but less expensive guy on the other side. Finney is a younger version of Foster and we still don't know what Jerald Hawkins is. The kid is a heck of a run blocker and may benefit from moving inside if he can ever stay healthy.

Gilbert is another guy they extend his deal and defer money, as he is only signed thru 2019....or else they project Chukks or Feiler out there after next season when Gilbert is 32 years old. Good young talent out there on the line.

We have come along way from 2008-2013 when we had a vast wasteland of traffic cones. Starting w/Pouncey in 2010 up (slow build through the draft and UFA's) to Munch's hiring in 2014 has produced the best o-line in the league.