PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Pittsburgh Steelers succeeding? Blame Mike Tomlin

Shoes
11-13-2018, 05:16 PM
It was nearly one year ago that the Steelers whipped up on the Tennessee Titans for a 40-17 win on a Thursday night at Heinz Field.
The offense broke out of some doldrums behind a big game by Ben Roethlisberger (https://247sports.com/Player/Ben-Roethlisberger-75953), who completed 30 of 45 passes for 299 yards, four touchdowns and zero interceptions. The win gave the Steelers an 8-2 record, Mike Tomlin's best start ever.
Sounds like this year, doesn't it?

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Why-are-the-Pittsburgh-Steelers-succeeding-Blame-Mike-Tomlin-124667856/

Edman
11-13-2018, 05:47 PM
This year's team was off to a not very good 1-2-1 start with a sputtering inconsistent Offense and a poor Defense. The 2017 Team started 3-1.

The 2017 Steelers were also very vulnerable on Defense, and were a paper tiger overall. They struggled against inferior competition, the Defense got shredded by mediocre QB's and pulled out a lot of come from behind wins en route to 13-3. They also very drama-laden and talked a bunch of mess they couldn't back up. Jacksonville also kicked their asses at Heinz (The first time).

It took 12 weeks for the 2017 Steelers to score 30 points in a game. The 2018 team did it in its second week. And did it again the next week. Then did it again two more times. The 2018 Steelers have scored 30+ in five games so far. The 2017 team crossed the 30+ threshold four times all of last season. The 2015 and 2016 teams did it five times. The 2014 team did it seven times.

I hope for this team's sake this isn't like last year. We all know how it ended.

Todd Haley is gone, Mike Mitchell is gone, Martavis Bryant is gone, and finally the Bell soap opera is finished. The major catalysts and dead locker room wood is cut from the tree. This upcoming game and the rest of the second half will tell us whether this team has truly turned a corner from this ego-centric underachieving ways or is just 2017 on repeat.

Fire Goodell
11-13-2018, 07:29 PM
^^ Good points.

I think this team is moving in a different direction though. It seems like in one fell swoop, we got rid of a lot of the problem children on this team. Bryant, Mitchell, and Bell were all players I thought had bad attitudes, and those kind of things, if allowed to continue, are the things that bring the rest of the team down. Conner's work ethic and attitude, in my opinion, has galvanized the offensive line with his no BS, hard work attitude. It shows in how well the offense has been gelling together. They look like a complete unit, it's no longer the Bell show, or the Ben to AB show where AB is getting 90% of the targets. The ball is being distributed and the production is even better.

The defense is a young squad that was expected to struggle, but I think they're coming into their own. I really feel this year's Steelers are better than the last year's version. The next challenge IMO is the next 2 games. 2 games on the road against weak opponents, can they stay focused instead of reading into their own press clippings and being prime for a letdown? Usually I'd be negative about the outcomes for these games, but I really believe the team in itself is turning a corner. If we stay healthy I think this could be the year.

Honestly this is the first time in a long time I've seen the Steelers turn in complete games with consistency. In the past years, it's been rare that on 'game ball threads' people would say "complete team win". This year, it seems to be quite common.

My main gripe is we need to stop these slow starts to the season. I guess it's not been perfect, but at this point I would say we have to say Tomlin is a solid coach. He could be great if we stop with the slow starts, and start dominating in games that we're playing what should be an overmatched opponent.

polamalubeast
11-13-2018, 07:34 PM

Mojouw
11-13-2018, 08:24 PM
Everyone that is any good starts slow in the NFL. No one plays high caliber starting players in the preseason except bad teams and teams with new coaching staffs. Annual playoff teams are just shooting to make it out of September no worse than 2-2.

Welcome to Roger Goodell's Brave New Era!

teegre
11-14-2018, 06:58 AM
Tomlin is sort of like AB...

Every year, there’s a new WR to fall in love with. But, year in & year out, AB is still there. OBJ, Julio Jones, Josh Gordon, Adam Thielen have had better single seasons, but AB is always in the mix.

Every year, there’s a new coach to fall in love with. But, year in & year out, Tomlin is still there. Sean McVay, Doug Marrone, The Harbaughs, Doug Peterson have had better single seasons, but Tomlin is always in the mix.

GBMelBlount
11-14-2018, 07:01 AM
Great analogy!

This is also how the Steelers organization is run...consistent and long term.

Every year, there’s a new WR to fall in love with. But, year in & year out, AB is still there. OBJ, Julio Jones, Josh Gordon, Adam Thielen have had better single seasons, but AB is always in the mix.

Every year, there’s a new coach to fall in love with. But, year in & year out, Tomlin is still there. Sean McVay, Doug Marrone, The Harbaughs, Doug Peterson have had better single seasons, but Tomlin is always in the mix.

tube517
11-14-2018, 07:34 AM

Tomlin got 2 speeding tickets in his Tesla, kicked a Powerade bottle in the lockerroom, and Facebook Lived Dino Tomlin's Maryland visit so the AB comparison is legit.:car::cheer2::scratchchin::chuckle:

86WARD
11-14-2018, 07:35 AM

Julio Jones is always in the mix as well. I don’t get the disrespect he receives around here.

It’s a good analogy though!!

polamalubeast
11-14-2018, 07:38 AM
Julio Jones is always in the mix as well. I don’t get the disrespect he receives around here.

It’s a good analogy though!!

Maybe it's because he does not score a lot of TD ... also Julio does not play in a big market who does not help.

86WARD
11-14-2018, 08:31 AM
Maybe it's because he does not score a lot of TD ... also Julio does not play in a big market who does not help.

Pittsburgh is a “big market”? Without looking, I’d have to say that Atlanta is at least Top-10 but that should have zero relevance on the disrespect aspect.

He’s used in different ways in the red zone...hence the reason he doesn’t get an over abundant amount of TDs and he accepts that. He’s not a complainer. Over the last few seasons, he’s the only WR that can be in a conversation with AB. After those two, there’s the rest of the league.

polamalubeast
11-14-2018, 08:37 AM
Pittsburgh is a “big market”? Without looking, I’d have to say that Atlanta is at least Top-10 but that should have zero relevance on the disrespect aspect.

He’s used in different ways in the red zone...hence the reason he doesn’t get an over abundant amount of TDs and he accepts that. He’s not a complainer. Over the last few seasons, he’s the only WR that can be in a conversation with AB. After those two, there’s the rest of the league.

What I want to say the Steelers always have at least 5 primetimes games scheduled every year, even in years when the steelers are not very good like in 2012 and 2013.They are not cowboys on that, but it's still a team that is often in primetime almost every year.This is not the case for the falcons.

But I agree for Jones...He is the only one who can be in the conversation with AB.

86WARD
11-14-2018, 11:49 AM
So team popularity...yes, then I’d agree that Atlanta isn’t that high up there.

polamalubeast
11-14-2018, 12:56 PM
So team popularity...yes, then I’d agree that Atlanta isn’t that high up there.

One of the reasons why Dez Bryant when he was with Dallas and now Odell Beckham Jr now have been/are overrated.

For Bryant, outside of his 2014 season, he has never been very special.

Many laughed at me in 2011 on a another NFL forum when I said that Antonio Brown was better than Bryant!

Butch
11-14-2018, 09:12 PM
I have been critical of Tomlin.Frustrated at us not even making it to a superbowl in Bens prime. I fully expected at least 2 more appearances by now if not more. As the years passed I became more skeptical when losing to lesser teams like the WC ravens, tebowed, and last years jags. Yes I am spoiled Steeler fan who says anything less than a Superbowl win is a lost season.

This year is different. Haley Gone and his replacement is so much better. Butler did the un-thinkable and put TJ and Dupree back at their natural positions and even if it's not perfect it's so much better than what we had. Lose Bell and running game gets better, thanks to James Saxson. Of course we have had Munchak for a long time now, we need to keep him. To me it seems that Mike has finally compiled a staff that is heads and shoulders above the rest. I will gladly eat the crow now even though we still have not won anything...yet. The team is hitting on all cylinders and that is all I can ask for. Hope it pays off in the end, but i am willingly admit Tomlin has a Great staff right now. It has always been my opinion that the coach needs to have say so in who is staff should be and it looks like that is happening this year...maybe not Butler but maybe he is the single exception. Good Job Mike now let's go get #7!!!

GoSlash27
11-16-2018, 08:20 PM
Pittsburgh is a “big market”?
Heck yeah Pittsburgh is a big market. Pittsburgh includes Steeler Nation, which is a massive and very dedicated fanbase.

polamalubeast
11-17-2018, 07:53 AM

Lady Steel
11-17-2018, 12:18 PM

We're all bored with the AFC East. The NFL needs to do something about that division, but Goodell won't.

Mojouw
11-17-2018, 12:33 PM
We're all bored with the AFC East. The NFL needs to do something about that division, but Goodell won't.

What would you propose? Move the Steelers to that division to make it competitive? Provide the other teams extra draft picks?

The NFL needs to do a number of things to improve the league but I'm not sure what it can really do about bad franchises that make dumb decisions.

Six Rings
11-17-2018, 01:51 PM
Kevin Colbert is the hero.

A sample of his work.

2017 draft

1 ) OLB Watt
2 ) WR Ju-Ju
3 RB Conner.

BOOM.

Colbert's draft and free agent moves ( Haden ) have made the difference. Tomlin should have fired Todd Haley long ago. Randy Fichtner is much better as the OC. At this point I think its best for Tomlin to get out of the way.

And Conner > Bell. Younger, better, cheaper, better team guy.

polamalubeast
11-17-2018, 03:21 PM

cold-hard-steel
11-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Ben to Tomlin..."i shoulda scored". Tomlin to Ben...."man stop trippin,good run".:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

polamalubeast
11-18-2018, 08:49 AM

GoSlash27
11-18-2018, 11:22 AM
What would you propose? Move the Steelers to that division to make it competitive? Provide the other teams extra draft picks?

The NFL needs to do a number of things to improve the league but I'm not sure what it can really do about bad franchises that make dumb decisions.
Equality of opportunity is a reasonable expectation. Equality of outcome isn't.

Mojouw
11-18-2018, 04:10 PM
Equality of opportunity is a reasonable expectation. Equality of outcome isn't.

I think we agree? Not the Pats fault that the Jets and Dolphins are terrible organizations that draft poorly and hire bad coaches.

fansince'76
11-18-2018, 04:23 PM
I think we agree? Not the Pats fault that the Jets and Dolphins are terrible organizations that draft poorly and hire bad coaches.

Not to mention the Bills, who have made the postseason once in the 21st century so far...

BlackAndGold
11-18-2018, 05:05 PM
Fire turmlin!!!

GoSlash27
11-18-2018, 05:15 PM
Oh, absolutely. I believe that applies to life in general, not just football.

polamalubeast
11-18-2018, 05:21 PM
Not to mention the Bills, who have made the postseason once in the 21st century so far...

with a points differenciel of -58 I think....

tom444
11-18-2018, 06:02 PM
It was nearly one year ago that the Steelers whipped up on the Tennessee Titans for a 40-17 win on a Thursday night at Heinz Field.
The offense broke out of some doldrums behind a big game by Ben Roethlisberger (https://247sports.com/Player/Ben-Roethlisberger-75953), who completed 30 of 45 passes for 299 yards, four touchdowns and zero interceptions. The win gave the Steelers an 8-2 record, Mike Tomlin's best start ever.
Sounds like this year, doesn't it?

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Why-are-the-Pittsburgh-Steelers-succeeding-Blame-Mike-Tomlin-124667856/

This year has a different feel.

polamalubeast
11-20-2018, 06:27 PM

Shoes
11-20-2018, 06:49 PM
This year has a different feel.

Yes, did you read the entire article?