PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl run hinges on Artie Burns

StillCurtains
11-06-2018, 03:09 PM
Hello fellow Steeler fans!

Believe me, I know there are many factors that come into play for the Steelers to make a Superbowl run.

1) Can they stay healthy?
2) Will we get improved play from the defense as a whole?
3) Can a slot WR emerge?
4) Will special teams round into shape including Boz’s struggles?
5) Can Bell and the team coexist without distraction if he returns?

We all know we need better play by special teams. A slot receiver emerging would be a plus, but I do feel that we are more than good enough offensively.

Besides health and the Bell situation, I feel that the RCB spot is the biggest concern. Tomlin and the staff deserve much credit for the improved play by the team as a whole. However, there has been no move made by the team by the trade deadline for our weakest position.

I’m not saying that the Steelers did not attempt to get something done that best suits the team, I’m just saying that no deal got done.

Artie’s problems are all mental. He has no understanding of what he is doing on defense which is blowing coverages, and causing the defense to cover for his mistakes. He has now not only lost his confidence, but now seems to be carrying a bad attitude.

His atheletic ability and skillset are not the problem. Coty on the other hand is the opposite. He knows his defensive assignments, but lacks the skillset and atheletic ability. We are about to face a gauntlet of QB’s in Newton, Rivers, Brady and Brees. Cam is the least of these guys, but he is more than capable of exploiting Sensabaugh.

With Coty in there, we’re not going to be able to hide him from these top level QB’s and it will derail a Superbowl run. Am I saying that Tomlin is making a mistake by having Coty start? No I’m not. He is the best option as of now because his lack of mistakes.

However, his lack of physical ability will do this team in. We need Artie to bounce back in order to win the Superbowl. We need him to get it right mentally. He has the physical tools. Artie getting it together will make the defense improve. It will allow the defense to improve at their own respective positions, instead of having to cover deficiencies in other areas.

I know there are many that are happy to see Artie’s benching and that is well warranted. However, like it or not, he is the best option that we have at RCB to make a Superbowl run.

We should all be rooting for him to get it together, because a Superbowl won’t happen if he doesn’t.

Fire Goodell
11-06-2018, 03:13 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/CWN0uW6ELn3pK/giphy.gif

Edman
11-06-2018, 04:08 PM
The coaches have given up on him, this board have given up on him, and worst of all, Artie has given up on himself. When he was benched, he didn't show any fire and just gave a half-hearted "It is what it is" statement. Not only does his play suck, but his mentality is piss poor too. He doesn't know how to respond to adversity.

The Artie Burnt experiment is done. He will never amount to anything more than what he is.

GoSlash27
11-06-2018, 04:17 PM
6 words that never belong in the same sentence...

I'm also hoping that Artie Burns will pull it together and rise to the potential of his athletic ability... But I'm not counting on it happening.
This part here:

His atheletic ability and skillset are not the problem.
I somewhat disagree with this. It's not just a matter of him not knowing the assignments and blowing coverages, he plays poor fundamental techniques under stress. He has poor foot placement and gets off balance. He gets out of position. He doesn't turn properly. And on and on and on... The coaches are trying to teach him how to play the right way, but so far it ain't stickin'.

I'm not privy to whether he's improved any since he got benched, but at this point it seems to me he's a candidate for the practice squad.

Fire Goodell
11-06-2018, 04:45 PM
The coaches have given up on him, this board have given up on him, and worst of all, Artie has given up on himself. When he was benched, he didn't show any fire and just gave a half-hearted "It is what it is" statement. Not only does his play suck, but his mentality is piss poor too. He doesn't know how to respond to adversity.

The Artie Burnt experiment is done. He will never amount to anything more than what he is.

I had a bad feeling about him being able to develop the moment he ripped off his own helmet and threw it at the ground in frustration the first game in cleveland. He may be physically talented, but CB is not a position for mental or emotional midgets. This guy just can't get his mind right and the last thing we need is a corner who doesn't have any confidence.

CB's need to bounce back tough from bad plays and this guy just can't stop getting in his own way. I remember Rod Woodson saying to play CB in the NFL you need a short memory. Even if you're Woodson or Primetime Sanders you'll get burned occasionally, you need to forget about that and get ready for the next play

StillCurtains
11-06-2018, 05:26 PM
I had a bad feeling about him being able to develop the moment he ripped off his own helmet and threw it at the ground in frustration the first game in cleveland. He may be physically talented, but CB is not a position for mental or emotional midgets. This guy just can't get his mind right and the last thing we need is a corner who doesn't have any confidence.

CB's need to bounce back tough from bad plays and this guy just can't stop getting in his own way. I remember Rod Woodson saying to play CB in the NFL you need a short memory. Even if you're Woodson or Primetime Sanders you'll get burned occasionally, you need to forget about that and get ready for the next play

You’re right! Tomlin is in a serious pickle. With the QB’s that we have coming up, if the Steelers have to depend on Sensabaugh for the rest of the season though, we are in DEEP trouble. If the Steelers were to make it to the playoffs, Brady, Rivers and Mahomes will exploit a matchup with Coty all game long.

Fire Goodell
11-06-2018, 06:11 PM
You’re right! Tomlin is in a serious pickle. With the QB’s that we have coming up, if the Steelers have to depend on Sensabaugh for the rest of the season though, we are in DEEP trouble. If the Steelers were to make it to the playoffs, Brady, Rivers and Mahomes will exploit a matchup with Coty all game long.

True, though with good safety play, we can maybe overcome that deficiency. I do have more hope in both Edmunds and Davis stepping up than I do Artie getting his head right

cold-hard-steel
11-06-2018, 07:47 PM
If our Super bowl aspirations hinge on Artie Burns well,well it's like,well,but......nahhhh i ain't subscribin to that hocus-pocus. Sorry no,no i can't.Not buyin thanx.

Mojouw
11-06-2018, 10:00 PM
Can Sutton

Brian Allen

Next man up. Try your luck.

Shoes
11-06-2018, 10:08 PM
Can Sutton

Brian Allen

Next man up. Try your luck.

Exactly, get Allen out there. He looked good in preseason.

Rooting for Artie Burns is like rooting for a pile of rocks.

Steeldude
11-07-2018, 08:48 AM
Burns is the worst DB on the team. The key to winning is to keep him off the field.

SteelMember
11-07-2018, 09:28 AM
"We don't live in our fears"... but apparently Artie Burns does. Broken confidence is something he seems to have issues with. We don't have time to baby him along. Man up, or sit back down.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-07-2018, 10:34 AM
How does the #5 CB on the depth chart hold the key to a SB run?

Sounds like it should be a SteelersDepot article. :crazy:

cold-hard-steel
11-08-2018, 06:39 AM
How does the #5 CB on the depth chart hold the key to a SB run?

Sounds like it should be a SteelersDepot article. :crazy:

I know, right! Maybe "Our Superbowl run hinges on play of secondary" would be more appropriate.I can't relate to our chances falling on the shoulders of Burns,but i do hope he can turn his ship around. Or our chances hinge on steady pressure on the QB. Now i can buy in on some shit like that.

Edman
11-08-2018, 10:32 PM
Even in a blowout win where everyone succeeded Artie Burns still can't get it together.

Dude exudes no confidence at all. He just sucks.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
11-08-2018, 10:37 PM
Even in a blowout win where everyone succeeded Artie Burns still can't get it together.

Dude exudes no confidence at all. He just sucks. Yep.

Shoes
11-08-2018, 10:42 PM
Like I said before you want to lose the game, let burns play

BlackAndGold
11-08-2018, 11:20 PM
He's mentally shot.

Lets see if they can fix him, or if he can fix himself. I would be going with Sutton over Burns.

Fire Goodell
11-08-2018, 11:25 PM
if he wasn't a 1st round pick he'd be on the practice squad or worse

Lady Steel
11-08-2018, 11:30 PM

Dude exudes no confidence at all. He just sucks.

Yeah, that's what totally sucks. As you stated, everyone else succeeded. He was their only mistake. I felt bad for him, especially after he was pulled off the field because of it. I hope he can get it together.

GoSlash27
11-08-2018, 11:30 PM
For real, Bell isn't the future of this franchise, but Conner got hurt tonight and we all saw that there's no depth at RB for us. Better come up with a solution for that.

11-08-2018, 11:31 PM
He's mentally shot.

Lets see if they can fix him, or if he can fix himself. I would be going with Sutton over Burns. Mentally shot or not. He was garbage from the get go! Horrible pick and never seen any promise in him. Steelers was pissed Cinci took Jackson who they wanted. Then ran up with seconds later picking this bum to show off to Cinci like he was who they wanted.

Fire Goodell
11-08-2018, 11:33 PM
For real, Bell isn't the future of this franchise, but Conner got hurt tonight and we all saw that there's no depth at RB for us. Better come up with a solution for that.

Ridley / Samuels as a RB by committee looks like it could be effective. But yeah there's a noticeable dropoff in big play ability when Conner is not in. I think Conner is fine though, him being taken out might have been precautionary. And they have an extra 3 days of rest before JAX

Mojouw
11-09-2018, 12:01 AM
Mentally shot or not. He was garbage from the get go! Horrible pick and never seen any promise in him. Steelers was pissed Cinci took Jackson who they wanted. Then ran up with seconds later picking this bum to show off to Cinci like he was who they wanted.

That’s not how any of that works. Maybe for the Browns or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotorhead
11-09-2018, 12:11 AM
I just think Samuels needs some work with the first team, what has he had before tonight? 1 carry? Connor took a couple games to get rolling too.

DesertSteel
11-09-2018, 12:13 AM
Title of thread is correct. Super Bowl run hinges on Artie Burns.... being kept off the field!!

Craic
11-09-2018, 12:31 AM

Ridley / Samuels as a RB by committee looks like it could be effective. But yeah there's a noticeable dropoff in big play ability when Conner is not in. I think Conner is fine though, him being taken out might have been precautionary. And they have an extra 3 days of rest before JAX

I'm not sure that's true. Conner got bottled up pretty good in the second half as well. It seems as the the Panthers decided they were going to crowd the line and challenge Ben to throw the ball. After halftime, the run game pretty much shut down even when Conner was running. So, I'm not too worried about it because it took a defense selling out to stop the run for it to happen, and Ben had had all the weapons in the world to go up top instead.

Fire Goodell
11-09-2018, 12:39 AM
I'm not sure that's true. Conner got bottled up pretty good in the second half as well. It seems as the the Panthers decided they were going to crowd the line and challenge Ben to throw the ball. After halftime, the run game pretty much shut down even when Conner was running. So, I'm not too worried about it because it took a defense selling out to stop the run for it to happen, and Ben had had all the weapons in the world to go up top instead.

Conner just has that explosiveness that I don't see in Ridley or Samuels. But with that said I like how both backups do run hard

11-09-2018, 12:52 AM
That’s not how any of that works. Maybe for the Browns or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Well shouldn't been but that's the way it went down!

Dwinsgames
11-09-2018, 07:18 AM
Title of thread is correct. Super Bowl run hinges on Artie Burns.... being kept off the field!!

THIS

cubanstogie
11-09-2018, 07:33 AM
I just think Samuels needs some work with the first team, what has he had before tonight? 1 carry? Connor took a couple games to get rolling too.
I was thinking the same. The drop off was obvious but these guys need reps in games. I actually thought Conner and Ben could have been taken out a little earlier. Especially JC. You realize how good these guys actually are when the second string comes in. Ben ran the offense last night to perfection, and you watch Dobbs struggle to get a clean snap from center, and the lack of fluidity handing it off. I am happy they got in game though. Every snap helps. Ridley is serviceable as well but in tight game I keep worrying about him fumbling. He does run hard though.