PDA

View Full Version : Week 2 Thoughts

Chidi29
09-22-2010, 07:43 PM
As a preface, I only have the last 5:16 of the first half taped plus the whole second half. Got mixed messages fro my cable company for the process of how to tape with my VCR. I did write down some things on Sunday night, but the first half probably won't be as detailed as usual.

First Half

- Lots of courage to attempt that reverse on the opening kickoff. I don't know about you, but we look a lot better in all facets of special teams with Everest than we did with Ligashesky. Power of the 'stache! Great job by Brown to just take off rather than bob and weave. Didn't like the excessive showboating at the end though. I'm excited too, but he hasn't shaken that cocky moniker that has been placed on him.

- Good job by Sly to knock the ball loose on the following return.

- General comments regarding shutting down Chris Johnson:

- It's a sixty minute task that you can't screw up even once without it costing you six points. It's about playing the fundamentals to a "T". Gap control, getting penetration, keeping backside contain, wrapping up and not allowing yards after contact, a controlled aggressiveness of sorts.

- It's almost like playing as a zone defense. You have one linebacker seal the edge, another occupying the hole on the cutback lane, another guy having backside contain, and so on. Because if you all go to one spot, he's going to cut across the field and that's a foot race you won't win. That's how he ripped off his big run last year Week 1 against us. Woodley got too aggressive and allowed a huge cutback lane. Johnson took advantage.

- A superb job by the defense. No other team in the league can do what we did in my opinion. There are certainly some great run defenses out there, but none better than ours. No homerism intended (of course, when is it intended).

- Dixon on the fumble: His ineptitude in a nutshell. Five wide, Titans are showing blitz pre-snap, you have to understand that there's a good chance a man is going to come free. He just seemed to have a deer in the headlights looked and didn't even check for a rush. Internal clock is broken. He had a receiver wide open to the left side running an out, but again, didn't survey the whole field. My biggest gripe with him.

- This happened in the second half, but let's take a look at how Batch reacted to almost the exact same situation.

- It was the last play before the end of the 3rd quarter. Five wide, 3rd and 9, against a Titans' defense showing blitz. A defender from Batch's blindside is coming free. Batch realizes this and hits Mendenhall on the slant. It didn't go for a first down, but Batch stays upright and doesn't fumble the ball like Dixon did.

- Vince Young looked totally lost out there with all the defensive disguises we were throwing at him. The Woodley interception was especially sweet. He engaged the guard for a moment, making it look like he was coming, and then dropped back to walk right into the pick. Troy's interception took easy points away from them.

- More specifically, here's a perfect microcosm for our discipline and focus our run defense had. Late in the 2nd quarter for the Titans on a 3rd and 20 backed up around their own ten. We could have slowed down a little bit, sorta taken the play off if it was a run. We didn't. We knew how big of a threat CJ was, and were never going to let up. Harrison got an excellent jump to blow past Roos and get Johnson from behind. McFadden played it smart and stayed at home while attempting to keep Johnson to the inside instead of being over aggressive and going for the big hit. Woodley also got good penetration.

- Kemoeatu continues to show himself as one of the better pulling guards in the league. He's 330 pounds and runs like a gazelle. Ok, not a gazelle.

- Used Antonio Brown as a PR late in the 2nd quarter and he cam through with a nice return. We weren't pinned near the end zone which makes us feel a little more comfortable. Plus, with the way our offense was playing, we needed to have excellent field position. Brown provided that for us, something Randle El can't.

- Pretty sure the Johnson fumble wasn't one (Looked like the left elbow was down), but a great job by the defense to give us some extra points before the half.

Second Half

- Reed's times: 4.03 (-3), 4.05 (6), 4.16 (GL). Also had a touchback in the first half.

- The 3rd down corkscrew of Young, which still makes me laugh: Another instance where Farrior is asked to come across the middle of the field and cover the strong side tight end. Coaching staff must not think he's lost too much.

- We again pulled the guard on a FB dive. Pouncey did hat on a hat blocking instead of sealing to his left like he did Week 1. DE busted through as a result and the play went for no gain or a short loss. Jonathan Scott looked to be a little quicker getting to the MIKE than Flozell did despite Jon getting a poor jump off the snap.

- Have to laugh at Johnson being asked to cut block Harrison without any other help. Had to have been a designed slant or something short. Utter failure from Johnson. Congrats to McClendon to getting his first fumble! Always have had a weird mancrush on the guy.

- Essex is very lucky to have a "minor" ankle injury according to Tomlin. Don't know how his leg didn't snap in half.

- Batch had trouble with the exchange at least twice. Not surprising considering his lack of work with Pouncey.

- In addition to returning them, Antonio Brown also did a nice job covering kicks. Was the outside contain guy and had a tackle to stop a potential long gain.

- Essex came in a series or two after being hurt. Does bode well for his chances to play this week. Of course, with the way our lineman were dropping like flies, if you had a helmet and nothing was broken, you were playing. Worth pointing out after this series, Legursky switched back in.

- Hills ended up having to play LG while Kemoeatu was out. Real tough day for Tony.

- Ended up running a straight up "hat on a hat" FB dive.

- Troy did his best LaVarr Arrington impression. Got a new wallpaper for my phone.

- Tomlin did say he liked Allen's aggressiveness on the onside kick. Just didn't execute.

- Key tackle by Ike on the seam route to Gage. If he doesn't hold on like he did, Gage could have scored.

- Don't know why Collins checked down to Johnson on the last play instead of heaving it downfield.

- We made it quite an interesting game. Offenses can get into a ryhthm while in the hurry up, especially against a defense that was gassed. It's tough for us to blitz or play close to the line because we were so tired. Blitzing won't be as effective and playing closer increases the chances of getting burnt.

- I thought Batch had a fine game. The statline looks awful, and even though it's early, that was the best performance we've had at QB two weeks in. One key thing Batch does that Dixon doesn't is slide in the pocket. Batch can feel the rush and he can move up, slide to either side, get the ball out when he knows a defender is coming free. Dixon gets flustered and flushes himself out of the pocket. Dixon is obviously the more mobile QB out of the pocket, but Batch is more mobile inside the pocket. That's key to being a successful QB. We shot ourselves in the foot a couple times. Batch had a real nice corner throw that went through Heath's hands, the Wallace TD got called back, Randle El should have caught one that hit the turf, and Ward could have made that catch on the fade on what was a perfectly thrown ball. At minimum, that's two touchdowns for Batch and an extra 14 points.

- I've been a "hater" and I didn't get to review the first half, but I'm guessing Chris Hoke had one heck of a game. Kudos to him. He proved me wrong.

Sacks

1. 3rd and 6, 13:45 in the 1st quarter. I touched on this one before. The internal clock never goes off for Dennis and he gets popped by Witherspoon. It isn't on Scott. He took the inside man as you're taught to do. It's on Dixon.

2. 3rd and 15, 6:18 in 3rd: Scott and Hills both get beat off the edge. Batch tries to step up, but Scott's guy trips him up.

3. 3rd and 5, 11:30 in 4th: Hills gets beat off the edge. Looked to be pretty good coverage downfield.

Sack Counter (Week)

Dennis Dixon: 1
Jonathan Scott: 1
Tony Hills: 1

Sack Counter (Year)

Flozell Adams: 1.5
Dennis Dixon: 1
Jonathan Scott: 1
Tony Hills: 1
Max Starks: 1
Heath Miller: .5

Injuries

Dennis Dixon has a tear in the meniscus of his left knee. He had surgery today and from the last report I read, coming from Schefter, he'll be out six weeks.

Trai Essex has a "minor" ankle injury. He returned for one series and then left. Status is up in the air for Sunday. If he can't go, Doug Legursky will start and I assume Ramon Foster will get a helmet over Hills if we decide to carry just two backup lineman. Foster will be the backup interior guy with Scott being a swingman at tackle.

Max Starks and Casey Hampton should be good to go Sunday.

Chris Hoke suffered a stinger but it wasn't serious. Returned to the game.

tube517
09-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Great, great analysis. I thought Batch played the way I expected. Too bad the WR's and Heath didn't make some of those catches you pointed out.

I guess Harrison got shaken up an it wasn't that serious as I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

Chidi29
09-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Great, great analysis. I thought Batch played the way I expected. Too bad the WR's and Heath didn't make some of those catches you pointed out.

I guess Harrison got shaken up an it wasn't that serious as I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

Yeah, don't think it was anything too bad. Probably a lot of heat issues. Guys like Flozell dealt with that too. I know Kemoeatu got nicked, but he came back to play too.