PDA

View Full Version : Edmunds is Making Steelers' Scouts Look Good

GBMelBlount
11-02-2018, 04:41 AM
Hindsight is 20/20. If we are being honest, all of us have thought, at one time or another, that if I only knew then what I know now, I would have done somethings differently. That is undeniable because we are only human, destined for both success and failure. Looking back often serves no purpose, only leaves us crying over spilt milk. Better to focus on the future and the things we have control over. However, our mistakes may prove to be our greatest life lessons if we learn from them. After all, those who forget the past are bound to repeat it.

The Pittsburgh Steelers seemingly struggle to evaluate defensive talent. Actually that may not be completely fair or accurate. It is probably more accurate to quantify that they have been very hit or miss when selecting first round defensive talent over the last decade. For every clean hit there is a equally impressive swing and miss. For every Cam Heyward, a player worthy of a first round pick, there is a Ziggy Hood. For every TJ Watt and Ryan Shazier, you have a Jarvis Jones and Artie Burns. Then you have a player like Bud Dupree, not a bust by any means, but his performance thus far hasn’t proven worthy of his first round status.

So it was easy to understand the concern of so many Steelers fans when the team surprisingly selected a safety out of Virginia Tech with their first round pick this year. Especially a player that was projected to be a second or even third round selection by many of the draft pundits. But the Steelers had the young man much higher on their draft board, and they were more than happy with their selection. They didn’t feel that they had reached in any way to fill a position of need, ala Bud Dupree three seasons prior. They had done their due diligence this time around as an organization. The countless hours by Colbert, Tomlin, and company spent away from family and friends was about to pay off. They adhered to the same principles they utilized for the 2017 Draft to great success, and it shows.

Terrell Edmunds is already a solid pro, and improving each week. He stated during a bye week interview that the professional game was starting to slow down for him, and it reflects in his on field performance. Forced into the starting lineup sooner than expected due to the lingering groin injury to projected starter Morgan Burnett, Edmunds executed his assignments initially rather cautiously to say the least. An outstanding athlete with impressive playing speed, he appeared to be playing at half speed on most plays. He instead focused on limiting the huge mistakes that so often plague rookie safeties, and worked hard on becoming a reliable contributor.

(Continued)

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/11/1/18039206/terrell-edmunds-is-making-the-steelers-scouting-contingency-look-good-nfl-draft-news-safety

pczach
11-02-2018, 04:53 AM
Edmunds has performed better than I thought he would as a rookie. He has avoided making big mistakes, and has provided a solid presence for a rookie. Don't underestimate the daunting task of someone with limited playing time at the position to be thrust into the starting lineup as a rookie and holding up.

He has quietly been improving, and he is showing that there is still plenty of room to grow as a player. His arrow is most definitely pointing up.

teegre
11-02-2018, 06:21 AM
Nice opinion piece... but, I’d have liked more data, facts, and/or analysis. Simply saying “He’s good” isn’t really proof.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-02-2018, 06:31 AM
Nice opinion piece... but, I’d have liked more data, facts, and/or analysis. Simply saying “He’s good” isn’t really proof.

That is the kind of hard hitting bloggerism that the internet has been known to deliver.

You should look up a guy named Tiger Rowan, who seems to have a way with the art of the written word. At times his writings are informative, thought provoking and entertaining. :coffee:

teegre
11-02-2018, 06:35 AM
That is the kind of hard hitting bloggerism that the internet has been known to deliver.

You should look up a guy named Tiger Rowan, who seems to have a way with the art of the written word. At times his writings are informative, thought provoking and entertaining. :coffee:

:applaudit:

tube517
11-02-2018, 07:32 AM

He's alright. :chuckle:

Seriously, no pressure but we need more Tiger articles! I need more to read to kill time at work.

As far as Edmunds, I hope he can have a successful career for my own selfish (Va Tech) reasons. I never thought he'd be a first round pick.

cold-hard-steel
11-02-2018, 07:56 AM

Yeah,not nearly as captivating,or imformative as say a Tim Lumber nugget.

Hawkman
11-02-2018, 08:27 AM

Buzz stomper!:chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-02-2018, 11:13 AM
Yeah,not nearly as captivating,or imformative as say a Tim Lumber nugget.
You have a point there. Would be good to have a Tiger vs. Tim Lumber thread, or podcast or something like that. :jawdrop2:

Iron Steeler
11-02-2018, 11:34 AM
I am not sold yet.

I want to see him shut down the best . I want to see other offensive have to change their game plan around him.

So far he has been on par mediocre . Not hurting us but also not over achieving.

DesertSteel
11-02-2018, 11:36 AM
I want to see other offensive have to change their game plan around him.

That should've happened after 7 games?

Mojouw
11-02-2018, 11:47 AM
I am not sold yet.

I want to see him shut down the best . I want to see other offensive have to change their game plan around him.

So far he has been on par mediocre . Not hurting us but also not over achieving.

That would be great. But I wonder how many safeties have caused that level of impact in recent NFL history?

Troy P and Ed Reed for sure. Derwin James looks like he could develop into a game wrecker. Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor. Berry in KC before the injuries got after him. Sean Taylor.

And then I have a hard time coming up with more names. I'm sure I am forgetting some guys. But, basically it is HOF or bust for Edmunds?

st33lersguy
11-02-2018, 12:13 PM
I am not sold yet.

To be fair, Troy didn't do that his rookie year

pczach
11-02-2018, 12:20 PM

I've read some of that hack's stuff. He's the master of hot takes.

:rofl2:

Born2Steel
11-02-2018, 12:24 PM
I am not sold yet.

If he can learn behind a guy like Burnett it is not a bad thing.

DesertSteel
11-02-2018, 12:27 PM
If he can learn behind a guy like Burnett it is not a bad thing.
Learn how to soak in the tub?

FrancoLambert
11-02-2018, 12:35 PM
I am not sold yet.

Not many rookies make the impact you’re looking for.
Joe Greene and Lawrence Taylor are two that did, and pretty quickly.
To be fair to Edmunds you’re expecting too much.

EzraTank
11-02-2018, 12:41 PM

Unfortunately since printed newspapers all but died the entire media has gone to shit with the loss of that last stop gap editor that would read the piece and say things like, "NOT PRINTING THIS GARBAGE without sources, evidence, etc ...

I mean look at politics. You have every person out there writing "opinion" pieces with their slant tied in and facts be damned.

Iron Steeler
11-02-2018, 06:03 PM
Not many rookies make the impact you’re looking for.
Joe Greene and Lawrence Taylor are two that did, and pretty quickly.
To be fair to Edmunds you’re expecting too much.

I have high standards. We don't have time to wait for rookies to develop. I would rather of us made splash moves on FA for some game changers.

Right now we do not have anyone on Def that strikes fear in a offensive game plan.

pczach
11-02-2018, 06:24 PM
I have high standards. We don't have time to wait for rookies to develop. I would rather of us made splash moves on FA for some game changers.

Right now we do not have anyone on Def that strikes fear in a offensive game plan.

Watt is probably the most versatile and athletic defender that teams are worried about. I would assume he would be the one guy that teams want to identify where he is and what he is doing on every play.

Remember, Edmunds is only playing because the free agent they signed to make a difference is injured. It's a bonus that he is getting noticeably better every week. That will only add to the quality depth of the team this year.

DesertSteel
11-02-2018, 06:35 PM

I think you might be following the wrong team with those expectations lol.

teegre
11-02-2018, 07:03 PM
He's alright. :chuckle:

Seriously, no pressure but we need more Tiger articles! I need more to read to kill time at work.

Alas, TPOP did away with the “football division” of their writing team; so, I am once again a free agent.

As much as I miss it, my new job/new position is kicking my butt. Plus, I’ve had to go back to school (beyond my mater’s degree), which uses up all of my writing time anyway.

SUMMATION:
Thetiming was right for me to take a break... albeit, a forced break.

GBMelBlount
11-02-2018, 07:15 PM
Alas, TPOP did away with the “football division” of their writing team; so, I am once again a free agent.

As much as I miss it, my new job/new position is kicking my butt. Plus, I’ve had to go back to school (beyond my mater’s degree), which uses up all of my writing time anyway.

SUMMATION:

You have a degree in procreation? :wink02:

fansince'76
11-02-2018, 08:11 PM

And summations! :chuckle:

teegre
11-02-2018, 09:18 PM

Indeed... that guy steals all of his ideas from me.

st33lersguy
11-02-2018, 09:22 PM
Hopefully he become a difference maker in 2019, which was my hope for him when he was drafted

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-02-2018, 10:49 PM

Agreed, he is all about hot takes and click bait. Some might say he is a "master-baiter". :jerkit:

pczach
11-03-2018, 04:36 AM
Indeed... that guy steals all of his ideas from me.

Well....you do have some extra time on your hands these days Ozzy. :ball:

cold-hard-steel
11-03-2018, 06:35 AM

SUMMATION:

Well thats all fine and dandy,but we embrace solutions,not excuses.:bolt:

teegre
11-03-2018, 07:23 AM
You have a degree in procreation? :wink02:

Agreed, he is all about hot takes and click bait. Some might say he is a "master-baiter". :jerkit:

#fertilityclinic :wink02:

teegre
11-03-2018, 07:56 AM
Well....you do have some extra time on your hands these days Ozzy. :ball:

True

Here’s my -er- Ozzie’s in depth analysis of Terrell Edmunds: he didn’t play at Alabama.

teegre
11-03-2018, 08:29 AM
After a few moments of thought, here are some things that I might have included in an article about Terrell Edmunds:

-Edmunds has played the second-most snaps of ANY player in the NFL. Let that sink in. Edmunds has played a ton, and while we haven’t seen many splash plays, we also haven’t seen many gaffs. (Sure, he has made some errors, but considering how many plays that he’s played, the percentage of gaffs is very low.)

-This Steelers secondary has given up the fewest “big plays” (40 yards or more) since 2012. John Brown had a 71-yard TD against us (first Ravens game), but since then, aside from one 43-yard play, the Steelers haven’t allowed anything longer than 25 yards.

Quick Analysis: Look at the words “second-most” and “fewest”. Edmunds has been on the field a LOT... yet, this secondary hasn’t given up very many big plays. Again, there are few splash plays, but there is indeed solid (fundamental) defense being played. Oh, and I wonder how many of the big plays were a result of Artie Burns... #imjustsayin’

For the Nay-Sayers: Jesse Bates has made more splash plays. (I honestly don’t know much else about Bates’ play.) Justin Reid is not only PFF’s top rookie safety, he’s ranked among their top safeties (period). Reid has 2 INTs & 2 pass break-ups on his 12 targets (that’s a great percentage); and, Reid has 31 tackles without a miss and a 91.1 tackling grade... which is first among ALL safeties.

SUMMATION:
Uh... I have class. Gotta go!!! (:lol:)

lipps83
11-03-2018, 09:00 AM
For the Nay-Sayers: Jesse Bates has made more splash plays. (I honestly don’t know much else about Bates’ play.) Justin Reid is not only PFF’s top rookie safety, he’s ranked among their top safeties (period). Reid has 2 INTs & 2 pass break-ups on his 12 targets (that’s a great percentage); and, Reid has 31 tackles without a miss and a 91.1 tackling grade... which is first among ALL safeties.

SUMMATION:
Uh... I have class. Gotta go!!! (:lol:)

I liked Justin Reid (wanted them to draft his brother too way back when). Would have liked to have taken him in the 2nd. This defense needs way more help than the offense does. I didn't like the James Washington pick then and I don't like it now. Yes, I understand they needed a receiver, but they didn't need a 2nd round receiver at that time like they needed everything on defense then and now and in the foreseeable future.

That was a waste and I don't see Washington contributing much, ever. At least not a 2nd rounds worth. Brown is never going anywhere and I don't see them letting JuJu go anytime soon. That makes Washington expendable even before he was drafted. You don't pick expendables in the first 3 rounds. Or kickers/punters.

Stupid pick.

Just dumb.

Passed over two decent safeties (that just happen to be brothers) for useless picks. Jones and Washington. Both won't contribute much at all and one is already out of the league.

Dumb.

Mojouw
11-03-2018, 11:28 AM
Really. We have to go through this.

Eric Reid is playing in the NFL. Apparently he's hunting neo-colonialists.

A vertical threat is a crucial component of offense in the NFL. Every team wants one. Washington was drafted to be that threat. Hunter is still on the roster because he might be that threat.

Once Edmunds was drafted, they were not taking another safety. They really like Davis.

I'm not saying they made the right moves, but you gotta step back and look at how the decisions are interconnected.

teegre
11-03-2018, 09:34 PM
I liked Justin Reid (wanted them to draft his brother too way back when). Would have liked to have taken him in the 2nd. This defense needs way more help than the offense does. I didn't like the James Washington pick then and I don't like it now. Yes, I understand they needed a receiver, but they didn't need a 2nd round receiver at that time like they needed everything on defense then and now and in the foreseeable future.

That was a waste and I don't see Washington contributing much, ever. At least not a 2nd rounds worth. Brown is never going anywhere and I don't see them letting JuJu go anytime soon. That makes Washington expendable even before he was drafted. You don't pick expendables in the first 3 rounds. Or kickers/punters.

Stupid pick.

Just dumb.

Passed over two decent safeties (that just happen to be brothers) for useless picks. Jones and Washington. Both won't contribute much at all and one is already out of the league.

Dumb.

I liked Justin Reid... a lot. But, that doesn’t mean Terrell Edmunds isn’t a good pick. It reminds me of how CJ Mosley was a stud from Day 1, but it took Ryan Shazier almost two seasons to become a juggernaut (and, Shazier eventually surpassed Mosley).

Right now, Reid is ahead of Edmunds, but as I (attempted to) illustrate, the secondary has improved to where they are allowing less big plays than they have in the previous six seasons. (So, Edmunds must be doing something right.)

As far as Washington goes, even AB wasn’t AB in his first season. JuJu becoming an immediate star was the exception (not the rule). And, a third WR is a starter in today’s NFL (and Hunter is not the answer).