PDA

View Full Version : What’s the end game for the Steelers and Le’Veon Bell?

Shoes
10-30-2018, 10:42 PM
Now that the Steelers can’t trade running back Le'Veon Bell (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8390/leveon-bell), the possible outcomes to the relationship are more limited.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/30/whats-the-end-game-for-the-steelers-and-leveon-bell/

ETL
10-30-2018, 10:48 PM
I hope LeVeon doesn’t come back at all this season and just is satisfied being a FA next year with a fresh body

(I have James Conner on my fantasy team)

Fire Goodell
10-31-2018, 12:10 AM
I hope we get a first round bye in week 16 then give him 80 carries in week 17

Butch
10-31-2018, 07:06 AM
I know it won't happen but I sincerely hope we never see bell carry the ball in a Steeler uniform.

86WARD
10-31-2018, 07:47 AM
Like I’ve said before...I’m not convinced now that he will be back this season. I’m also not convinced that he could pass a drug test if he returned.

It’s all speculation, but I think he is going through some depression issues. If you notice his Twitter Account, he was super active early in the season and now he’s almost ghosted his account. Early in the season he was out and about holding out and enjoying his money and time off. Now where has he been?

I think he had a plan to return and the reaction from the team was very unexpected and hurt his feelings...as it would most people. I think he feels awkward at this stage and not sure he wants to return now. He’s already given up how much money? What’s $6M more? Then he starts fresh next season. Comes in, signs the tender or whatever and plays for a bit, maybe gets traded and he’s back in the groove.

Craic
10-31-2018, 08:09 AM
Like I’ve said before...I’m not convinced now that he will be back this season. I’m also not convinced that he could pass a drug test if he returned.

It’s all speculation, but I think he is going through some depression issues. If you notice his Twitter Account, he was super active early in the season and now he’s almost ghosted his account. Early in the season he was out and about holding out and enjoying his money and time off. Now where has he been?

I think he had a plan to return and the reaction from the team was very unexpected and hurt his feelings...as it would most people. I think he feels awkward at this stage and not sure he wants to return now. He’s already given up how much money? What’s $6M more? Then he starts fresh next season. Comes in, signs the tender or whatever and plays for a bit, maybe gets traded and he’s back in the groove.

That's all speculation (and you said as much), but I also think there's some truth to it. I don't know about the depression, but I do think this whole thing got way too big for him and he didn't know how to save face while showing up to play. Then, when teammates said what they said and others guessed about him returning, it just turned him off to the whole thing.

As for the drug testing and the like, I have no idea. He's been clean for quite a while (I believe he was on the 24-month set schedule testing program). So, did he slip back into it after the 24-month program was over? Perhaps. But since we're speculating, I don't think I'll go that far.

EzraTank
10-31-2018, 09:15 AM
I hope LeVeon doesn’t come back at all this season and just is satisfied being a FA next year with a fresh body

(I have James Conner on my fantasy team)

I second this (also have Conner on my team).

86WARD
10-31-2018, 01:02 PM
I second this (also have Conner on my team).

I have Conner on two of mine. One I traded Howard straight up for Bell to back up Conner. Gotta get those handcuffs.

steelcityboyz
10-31-2018, 05:13 PM
I know it won't happen but I sincerely hope we never see bell carry the ball in a Steeler uniform.I agree with that 100% I used to think Le'Veon was the cat's ass among running backs.. Now I think he's just a Horses ass.

DesertSteel
10-31-2018, 07:09 PM
Unless Conner gets injured there's no place for Bell to take up 8-12 carries a game. As demonstrated Sunday, Conner gets better with more carries and he's more physical than Bell so he beats up the defense. I think Bell would put a major crimp in Conner's style and performance.

Born2Steel
10-31-2018, 07:17 PM
End game? Nobody knows.

Full on speculation. Steelers and Bell work out a deal and Bell plays another 3 years. There are plenty of places Bell can play in this offense. AB, JuJu, Conner, Bell, Switzer, McDonald, James, Washington.....that's a lot of talent and offensive power.

AtlantaDan
10-31-2018, 08:27 PM
I will give Bell and his agent credit for knowing how to play the national media game

Last week it was Bell as social justice warrior in the article on his agent in ESPN's The Undefeated

Now this in the Washington Post

A combination of strategy and pride is driving the holdout of Pittsburgh’s Le’Veon Bell

A crucial thing to know about Le’Veon Bell, if you ask one of his mentors, is that he is an excellent chess player. Bell took up the game as a third-grader and still plays frequently. He employs a patient strategy, holding back action pieces and waiting for his opponent to make the first mistake. It is not dissimilar to his running style, which makes him a singular NFL force when he plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers....

Bell decided the Steelers should regard him not as just a running back, but as a hybrid running and receiving threat. Once that was in his mind, he was not budging....

It’s a lot of pride involved

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/10/31/combination-strategy-pride-is-driving-holdout-pittsburghs-leveon-bell/?utm_term=.335383de26b9

Problem for Bell the chess player was he thought his skills made him the only queen on the chessboard - turns out the Steelers had 2018 Conner

DesertSteel
10-31-2018, 09:07 PM
I will give Bell and his agent credit for knowing how to play the national media game

He's nothing more than the bearded lady at this point.

Shoes
10-31-2018, 09:29 PM

:lol:

AtlantaDan
10-31-2018, 09:38 PM

Oh I’m not buying into the spin that attempts to distort the reality

But if you get ESPN to declare you are one of the “winners” coming out of the trade deadline because the Steelers could not trade you (while also not paying you) your reps are doing a great job of getting out your story that everything is another glorious triumph

Craic
10-31-2018, 11:23 PM

Last week it was Bell as social justice warrior in the article on his agent in ESPN's The Undefeated

Now this in the Washington Post

A combination of strategy and pride is driving the holdout of Pittsburgh’s Le’Veon Bell

A crucial thing to know about Le’Veon Bell, if you ask one of his mentors, is that he is an excellent chess player. Bell took up the game as a third-grader and still plays frequently. He employs a patient strategy, holding back action pieces and waiting for his opponent to make the first mistake. It is not dissimilar to his running style, which makes him a singular NFL force when he plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers....

Bell decided the Steelers should regard him not as just a running back, but as a hybrid running and receiving threat. Once that was in his mind, he was not budging....

It’s a lot of pride involved

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/10/31/combination-strategy-pride-is-driving-holdout-pittsburghs-leveon-bell/?utm_term=.335383de26b9

Problem for Bell the chess player was he thought his skills made him the only queen on the chessboard - turns out the Steelers had 2018 Conner

Um... care to rephrase? :chuckle:

Steeler-in-west
11-01-2018, 01:08 AM
I think there’s a very good chance he sits out the whole season. He’s already lost millions. What’s a few million more at this point?

In spite of a report that his agent encouraged him to take the Steelers extension offer, i think his agent still failed to properly guide him since then and even stirred up this social justice stuff. With a good agent, I believe Bell would right now be getting ready for the ravens as the Steelers featured back and as the highest paid rb.

Fire Goodell
11-01-2018, 01:11 AM
If he sits out franchise tag him again just to make him sit until he signs, then rescind it lol. I'd do that just to be a dick for him pulling such a bitch move on his teammates

86WARD
11-01-2018, 06:46 AM
Unless Conner gets injured there's no place for Bell to take up 8-12 carries a game. As demonstrated Sunday, Conner gets better with more carries and he's more physical than Bell so he beats up the defense. I think Bell would put a major crimp in Conner's style and performance.

He doesn’t have to take Conners carries. With Bell, the Steelers offense could be more potent, create more opportunities and create Bells own carries and receptions taking minimal from Conner, taking receptions from everyone. So JuJu, Vance, AB, Conner all lose 1 reception. Switzer/James lose 2-3 between them. That’s possibly 7 balls you’ve gotten into a healthy Bells hand. Add 5 carries from everyone not named Conner. 12 touches...plus whatever more plays they get extending drives because of the presence of Bell.

Point is, he is a huge asset to the team if he’s ready to play.

cold-hard-steel
11-01-2018, 07:01 AM
He doesn’t have to take Conners carries. With Bell, the Steelers offense could be more potent, create more opportunities and create Bells own carries and receptions taking minimal from Conner, taking receptions from everyone. So JuJu, Vance, AB, Conner all lose 1 reception. Switzer/James lose 2-3 between them. That’s possibly 7 balls you’ve gotten into a healthy Bells hand. Add 5 carries from everyone not named Conner. 12 touches...plus whatever more plays they get extending drives because of the presence of Bell.

Point is, he is a huge asset to the team if he’s ready to play.

Yeah i guess we could try him out at the #3 WR position.

AtlantaDan
11-01-2018, 07:04 AM
Um... care to rephrase? :chuckle:

Yeah - describing Conner as the Steelers most powerful piece on the chessboard to play against Bell creates some bad imagery :chuckle:

How ‘bout as a chess player Bell failed to recognize he might be the one put in checkmate?