PDA

View Full Version : Undrafted Tackles Villanueva, Feiler Receive Well-Deserved Tuesday Praise For Sunday Play

polamalubeast
10-30-2018, 04:20 PM
In case you missed it on Sunday, the Pittsburgh Steelers started two former undrafted free agents at their two tackle positions against the Cleveland Browns and both players, Alejandro Villanueva and Matt Fieler, represented themselves well in that contest. During his Tuesday weekly radio interview on 93.7 The Fan, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was asked to comment on the Sunday play of both Villanueva and Feiler and his response included some well-deserved praise.

“Al’s kind of a guy that just keeps getting better, that doesn’t have all of the experience, but just keeps getting better,” Roethlisberger said of Villanueva, who has now made 49 consecutive starts at left tackle for the Steelers. “And Matt’s a guy that as we saw in the Tampa game, stepped in for Gil [starting right tackle Marcus Gilbert] and did awesome against a really good pass rush on the road. Same thing this week, he had to go against a good pass rush. It’s nice to be at home as that helps, but Matt’s a guy that sometimes when you have a new lineman come in, as a quarterback you always kind of have an eye on that spot and other linemen are always trying to help him.

“When Matt comes in, no one’s blinking, no one’s thinking twice. Dave’s [starting right guard David DeCastro] not thinking, ok, I’ve got to help to my right more. You trust that he’s going to get the job done and he’s done it. And I think that it speaks for the preparation time that he put in both in practice and the film study and his work in the weight room and during the practice on the practice field. And so I’m really proud of the way that, that he’s been stepping up and playing.”

Sunday against the Browns marked the second time this season that Feiler started at right tackle in place of an injured Gilbert and while he certainly wasn’t perfect in either contest, he’s yet to allow a sack and has only given up 4 total pressures. During his Tuesday press conference, Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin went out of his way to praise the play of Feiler after first updating the health status of Gilbert.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/10/undrafted-tackles-villanueva-feiler-receive-well-deserved-tuesday-praise-for-sunday-play/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Lady Steel
10-30-2018, 06:30 PM
Ben always speaks highly of his O-Line, as well he should. They take good care of him.

BlackAndGold
10-30-2018, 06:55 PM
Munchak deserves a lifetime contract.

Shoes
10-30-2018, 08:56 PM
Munchak deserves a lifetime contract.

with head coach pay.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-30-2018, 10:04 PM
I noticed Villanueva last weekend really handling the speed rush of Garrett with good technique, kick slide and turning him once past his shoulders and it stood out how well he has worked on his pass protection over the years.

Feiler too first popped out in film 2 preseasons ago playing guard on a pull where he just destroyed the defender and I was impressed how well he moves from such a guy with a RT frame. Good to see them both producing and getting recognized.

I think Foster is likely a financial casualty in the offseason and Finney, Feiler become the next group of UDFA that will plug in on the line going forward, with Chukks being able to work his way in over the upcoming years. Feels good to have some young O line talent on the team going forward.

polamalubeast
10-31-2018, 10:53 AM

86WARD
10-31-2018, 01:00 PM
More reasons why Munchak should be handed a lifetime contract. I’d hire him as a head coach but only let him coach the O-Line...lol.

Edman
10-31-2018, 04:28 PM
Mike Munchak proves the importance of coaching. Great coaching makes average/below average talent good. Give Mike Munchak anything he wants and add incentives to the deal.

He must not leave. Ever.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-01-2018, 02:32 PM
Mike Munchak proves the importance of coaching. Great coaching makes average/below average talent good. r.

I agree with this somewhat, but it helps to have players with the right mindset to improve and if any place that technique can make big improvements....it is the O line. Its difficult to have below average talent at OLB, CB, QB, RB, D-line, etc and just "coach them up". Undersized guys like Kelvin Beachum succeeded on their technique, intelligence and attitude. UDFA like Ramon Foster succeeded as well, but started as an OT that moved inside to guard.

There are a lot of good O line coaches in the NFL, but something tells me that Munchak has a skillset and attitude in O linemen that he sees and believes he can work with. It isn't always something that you can quantify or use combine numbers or stats, but often a coach sees how a guy plays and how he acts and then says to themselves...."I can work with that kid", or "I'll pass on that guy(despite his high regard)".

The UDFA guys are low risk prospects, so when you build a guy up that is a big plus. I still want to see what can be done with the picks like Jerald Hawkins and Chukks Okorafor, in terms of talent development as well.

Craic
11-02-2018, 07:37 PM
I agree with this somewhat, but it helps to have players with the right mindset to improve and if any place that technique can make big improvements....it is the O line. Its difficult to have below average talent at OLB, CB, QB, RB, D-line, etc and just "coach them up". Undersized guys like Kelvin Beachum succeeded on their technique, intelligence and attitude. UDFA like Ramon Foster succeeded as well, but started as an OT that moved inside to guard.

There are a lot of good O line coaches in the NFL, but something tells me that Munchak has a skillset and attitude in O linemen that he sees and believes he can work with. It isn't always something that you can quantify or use combine numbers or stats, but often a coach sees how a guy plays and how he acts and then says to themselves...."I can work with that kid", or "I'll pass on that guy(despite his high regard)".

The UDFA guys are low risk prospects, so when you build a guy up that is a big plus. I still want to see what can be done with the picks like Jerald Hawkins and Chukks Okorafor, in terms of talent development as well.

Makes me wonder how good Legurski would have been had Munchak was coaching here at that time.

Edman
11-03-2018, 11:15 AM
Its difficult to have below average talent at OLB, CB, QB, RB, D-line, etc and just "coach them up".

You say that, but then we look at Jared Goff and Todd Gurley in LA playing like gangbusters now after looking like fecal matter in 2016.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-03-2018, 01:11 PM
Makes me wonder how good Legurski would have been had Munchak was coaching here at that time.

Legursky was a strong and scrappy mauler. I personally don't think he would have been much better under Munchak than he was during his career. Serviceable and versatile interior lineman

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-03-2018, 01:17 PM
You say that, but then we look at Jared Goff and Todd Gurley in LA playing like gangbusters now after looking like fecal matter in 2016.

Neither Gurley (the #10 overall pick), nor Jared Goff (the #1 overall pick) were below average talent that needed to be "coached up" in order to be good. They just needed regular coaching and becoming acclimatized to becoming great NFL players.

Now if somebody makes pro bowlers out of Nate Sudfeld or Andy Janovich, then that must be a good scouting find/coaching job, like done with Feiler, Villaneuva. Although both of those guys were drafted talents.

86WARD
11-03-2018, 06:10 PM
Neither Gurley (the #10 overall pick), nor Jared Goff (the #1 overall pick) were below average talent that needed to be "coached up" in order to be good. They just needed regular coaching and becoming acclimatized to becoming great NFL players.

Now if somebody makes pro bowlers out of Nate Sudfeld or Andy Janovich, then that must be a good scouting find/coaching job, like done with Feiler, Villaneuva. Although both of those guys were drafted talents.

Goff and Gurley didn’t need coaching? Tell that to the 2016 versions. Jeff Fisher says otherwise...

Mojouw
11-03-2018, 06:51 PM
Goff and Gurley didn’t need coaching? Tell that to the 2016 versions. Jeff Fisher says otherwise...

It wasn't so much coaching as criminally negligent game plans. I get that's coaches too but I think this thread is talking about something different.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-03-2018, 08:10 PM
It wasn't so much coaching as criminally negligent game plans. I get that's coaches too but I think this thread is talking about something different.
:applaudit:
Well said. Its not like they were average talents that needed to be coached up. Its more like the fact the NFL left Jeff Fischer behind a decade ago, but the Rams hired him and his terrible gameplan/culture to waste talented players. I too think the thread is talking about something different.

86WARD
11-04-2018, 05:35 AM
I get what your saying. Goff and Gurley have more raw talent than AV, Feiler, Sudafed, etc and their was more “teaching” involved with the latter group. It doesn’t discount the fact that even the guys with more raw talent need the good coaching as much as the guys with lesser talent. It’s why I’ve said that the Steelers need to find the DB equivalent of Mike Munchak...lol.

polamalubeast
11-07-2018, 01:59 PM

Shoes
11-07-2018, 02:12 PM
I remember the comments that he was PS camp fodder. :chuckle:

polamalubeast
11-07-2018, 02:24 PM

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-07-2018, 06:39 PM
I remember the comments that he was PS camp fodder. :chuckle:

Who, Feiler.....this year?

He was with the team last season and it seemed logical that he would make it after Jerald Hawkins went down. I honestly think Feiler might be a better guard than OT.

Shoes
11-07-2018, 07:06 PM
Who, Feiler.....this year?

He was with the team last season and it seemed logical that he would make it after Jerald Hawkins went down. I honestly think Feiler might be a better guard than OT.

Big Al

Born2Steel
11-07-2018, 07:09 PM
I think it was Okorafor that was supposed to 'automatically' move into the backup tackle role once Hawkins went down with injury again. That Munchak magic. Feiler has been great. What was 'supposed to be', I'll take what is. Definitely.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-07-2018, 10:20 PM
Big Al

Ok. Yeah, when you recall he was a TE at Army, then I think the Eagles listed him as a DE before the Steelers picked him up and started working him at OT, he was definitely a PS project. Even his first years getting reps, he had no real punch in pass protection and wasn't really using those long arms of his. He got better each season and has continually improved. His is more technically sound than he was 2 seasons ago.

polamalubeast
11-08-2018, 10:56 AM

Hawkman
11-08-2018, 05:45 PM

Really is amazing to think about the road he has traveled to get where he is now. What a story worth telling.

Shoes
11-08-2018, 06:17 PM
Really is amazing to think about the road he has traveled to get where he is now. What a story worth telling.

Only fitting that he retires with one or two SB rings.

Mojouw
11-09-2018, 11:14 AM
Can't find a link now, but I have read this before somewhere or other.

In AV's first season as the starter at LT - so that would have been 2015? - Ryan Clark tells a great story. They are in the tunnel before one of the Ravens games. Stadium is shaking, fans are going nuts, players are all keyed up. Clark decides to do the veteran thing and check on the "rookie" left tackle. Goes over to AV and tries to start a conversation and see if the dude is stressing or not. Remarks that the whole scene is pretty intense and whatnot. AV responds "Not really". Clark then talks about how his brain kicked in and he realized who he was talking to and what he had done prior to playing NFL LT. Clark realized he didn't need to worry about AV's mental state - ever.

Wish I could find it. Sure I got some details wrong. But it has always stuck with me.

Shoes
11-09-2018, 11:52 AM

In AV's first season as the starter at LT - so that would have been 2015? - Ryan Clark tells a great story. They are in the tunnel before one of the Ravens games. Stadium is shaking, fans are going nuts, players are all keyed up. Clark decides to do the veteran thing and check on the "rookie" left tackle. Goes over to AV and tries to start a conversation and see if the dude is stressing or not. Remarks that the whole scene is pretty intense and whatnot. AV responds "Not really". Clark then talks about how his brain kicked in and he realized who he was talking to and what he had done prior to playing NFL LT. Clark realized he didn't need to worry about AV's mental state - ever.

Wish I could find it. Sure I got some details wrong. But it has always stuck with me.

I remember this also.

Fire Goodell
11-09-2018, 12:07 PM

NFL pressure is one thing, but I don't think it holds a candle to being shot at while you're trying to carry your dying friend/teammate to an evac zone

86WARD
11-09-2018, 04:54 PM
NFL pressure is one thing, but I don't think it holds a candle to being shot at while you're trying to carry your dying friend/teammate to an evac zone

Meh...dealing with a jerkoff like Burfict is close...