PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger 'kind of surprised' by firing of Haley in Cleveland

polamalubeast
10-30-2018, 12:36 PM
“I don’t think you do both the coach and coordinator,” Roethlisberger said Tuesday on his weekly 93.7-FM radio segment. “I thought maybe Todd would have gotten the (head coaching) job.”

Instead, the Browns gave the position on an interim basis to defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

“It’s kind of crazy,” Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger’s frosty relationship with Haley was a reason the Steelers went in a different direction and promoted quarterback coach Randy Fichtner to offensive coordinator. Roethlisberger and Fichtner have a close relationship.

Roethlisberger said Haley’s fiery, confrontational approach isn’t always a bad thing.

“He’s a very passionate coach,” Roethlisberger said. “He’s passionate, he wants to win and he wants to get the best out of his players. There’s nothing wrong with that. I think that’s what you need. You want passion from a player, passion from a coach. … Sometimes it can come across in a negative way. When you’re passionate about wanting to win, that’s not a bad thing in a coach.”

read more

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/14229937-74/roethlisberger-kind-of-surprised-by-firing-of-haley-in-cleveland

DesertSteel
10-30-2018, 12:47 PM
Ben has generally taken the high road with Haley. I give him credit for that.

AtlantaDan
10-30-2018, 12:52 PM
Ben has generally taken the high road with Haley. I give him credit for that.

Agreed

Ben won that war and can be the gracious winner

Haley crashing out of his next job 8 weeks into the season is just icing on the cake

tube517
10-30-2018, 01:17 PM
"Kind of surprised" = "Elated" in Big Ben's vocabulary

:chuckle:

pczach
10-30-2018, 06:13 PM
Question: What do you think Todd Haley has learned from all this?

Answer: Nothing

AtlantaDan
10-30-2018, 08:13 PM
Question: What do you think Todd Haley has learned from all this?

Answer: Nothing

Yep - you get fired by the Steelers pretty much because you are impossible to get along with and then start off your new job like this

Haley became a problem early in his time in Cleveland, people close to the situation told USA TODAY Sports. He clashed with [Browns GM] Dorsey and members of the scouting department when he would attend draft-prep meetings uninvited and try to recommend which college prospects the team should evaluate.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/mike-jones/2018/10/29/hue-jackson-firing-cleveland-browns-john-dorsey/1812512002/

I have criticized Ben for being high maintenance for years but no wonder he quit talking to Coach Todd

Shoes
10-30-2018, 08:40 PM
Ben being a diplomat. What he really wanted to say was he was kind of surprised Haley lasted this long.

Fire Goodell
10-30-2018, 10:09 PM
Honestly I'm surprised they fired the coaches when they already won 2.5 more games this season AND have a rookie QB starting. Way to retard his progress, but hey count on the Browns to pour gasoline on a dumpster fire :chuckle:

Shoes
10-30-2018, 10:12 PM
Honestly I'm surprised they fired the coaches when they already won 2.5 more games this season AND have a rookie QB starting. Way to retard his progress, but hey count on the Browns to pour gasoline on a dumpster fire :chuckle:

:lol:

fansince'76
10-30-2018, 10:16 PM
Ben being a diplomat.

Indeed. He's matured quite a bit since the Whisenhunt rift.