PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Mike Munchak mentioned as Browns coaching candidate

polamalubeast
10-30-2018, 06:08 AM
You heard right. Hue Jackson is out as the head coach of the Cleveland Browns.

Yes. Finally.

Todd Haley is also gone as the offensive coordinator.

Yes. Already.

Gregg Williams will take over as interim head coach.

No. Not for long.

So, who will be the next full-time head coach of the Browns after 2018 ends? On his "Move the Sticks" podcast, NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah says that Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak is worth a look (at 3:44). Jeremiah's premise is that Munchak, from a personality standpoint, would mesh well with Cleveland general manager John Dorsey.

"I think Mike Munchak would actually fit with (Dorsey)," Jeremiah said Monday. "Munch has done a great job with that Steelers O-line. And that's an area where the Browns are terrible. Their personnel has been better than (how) it is playing. He'll toughen this team up."

During his time in Pittsburgh, Munchak has refined Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro. He has improved Marcus Gilbert and Ramon Foster. And he turned Al Villanueva, Chris Hubbard, Will Feiler, and B.J. Finney from projects into productive players.

read more

https://triblive.com/sports/columnists/timbenz/breakfastwithbenz/14228753-74/steelers-mike-munchak-mentioned-as-browns-coaching-candidate

saturdaysarebetter
10-30-2018, 06:29 AM
I could see that happening.

AtlantaDan
10-30-2018, 06:35 AM
My bet is the Browns go with hiring a thirty something coach who has a rep as an alleged offensive genius and can incorporate Air Raid concepts into the offense while developing Mayfield. As Mojouw posted in one of the threads on Jackson getting canned, the prototype for that sort of hire is someone like Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma.

Munchak may get a look for one of the other HC jobs that opens up for 2019 but I do not see that NFL Network rando’s comments on hiring a coach who will “toughen that team up” as anything more than someone with no sources on the Browns throwing out hot takes.

teegre
10-30-2018, 06:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ&app=desktop

polamalubeast
10-30-2018, 06:47 AM
Mike Munchak could have a job as HC, but I'm not sure he'd be successful...When he was the HC of the Titans, their o-line immediately regressed because when you're the HC you can not just take care of just one unit.Chris Johnson's stats started to be on the decline when Mike Munchak was their HC and not their o-line coach.

I can be wrong and I will be happy for him if he becomes a HC again and that he has success and he could be successful in a good situation (22-26 is not very good, but the titans were 5-27 in the two seasons after his dismissal) but of course I prefer that he stays with the steelers as long as possible

86WARD
10-30-2018, 07:33 AM
I think the Browns look for a Sean McVay type.

polamalubeast
10-30-2018, 07:40 AM

It's hard to find too.

86WARD
10-30-2018, 08:21 AM
It's hard to find too.

I think they go really young though.

tube517
10-30-2018, 08:27 AM

This.

Moose
10-30-2018, 08:30 AM
I think they go really young though.

I agree, I think they go young and fresh too. Someone with some fresh and new ideas. Possibly a college coach ?

smokin3000gt
10-30-2018, 11:01 AM
Would Mike really want to stick his head in that wood chipper?

st33lersguy
10-30-2018, 12:08 PM
This would be a poor hire for the Browns and a poor decision by Munchak. Munchak is the best O-line coach in the NFL (change my mind), but he is a mediocre head coach and Cleveland HC would be a dead end for Munch

DesertSteel
10-30-2018, 12:25 PM
Browns will go super young like the Rams did.

- - - Updated - - -

Unlike most of you on here though, I believe MM will make a very good HC again. Some people actually learn from their not-so-great past. If Tomlin resigned tomorrow, I'd want MM to step in ASAP.

GoSlash27
10-31-2018, 06:04 PM
https://youtu.be/KJr-4OZPwLk?t=125
Mike, you're a young man! Don't do it!!

Unlike most of you on here though, I believe MM will make a very good HC again. Some people actually learn from their not-so-great past. If Tomlin resigned tomorrow, I'd want MM to step in ASAP.
The problem isn't Mike Munchak, the problem is the Factory of Sadness™. Whoever assumes the title of HC in Cleveland will be fired in less than 3 years.

Born2Steel
10-31-2018, 06:21 PM
HA! The Browns just fired their HC,OC, and lost their DC because they made him interim HC. I guess the QBs coach/OL coach will take over as OC? Maybe the LBs/DL coach will be the new DC? What a Pile O' Crap.

Lady Steel
11-02-2018, 01:16 AM
https://youtu.be/KJr-4OZPwLk?t=125
Mike, you're a young man! Don't do it!!

The problem isn't Mike Munchak, the problem is the Factory of Sadness™. Whoever assumes the title of HC in Cleveland will be fired in less than 3 years.

Yeah, forget about the Madden Curse. The Cleveland Curse is real for both coaches and quarterbacks! :giggles:

stillers4me
11-02-2018, 05:44 AM
I don't care who they hire as long as it isn't Mike Munchak.

GBMelBlount
11-02-2018, 06:23 AM
Browns will go super young like the Rams did.

- - - Updated - - -

Unlike most of you on here though,

I believe MM will make a very good HC again. Some people actually learn from their not-so-great past.

If Tomlin resigned tomorrow, I'd want MM to step in ASAP.

Completely agree.

It can take decades of experience, learning and mistakes to be successful at running a professional sports team.

Munchak has likely learned from his mistakes and also is viewing everything he does now through a new lens due to his valuable experience as a head coach.

Very similar to the decades of experience typically needed for VP's and CEO's to successfully run established corporations.

I just hope that this is not on his radar!:crossed:

Mojouw
11-02-2018, 10:47 AM
Lots of good stuff on MM as a head coach. I have one question...does MM want to be a head coach again?

I didn't find it quickly on the Google machines, but I feel like I've seen comments before, by MM, that he basically would be really happy to stay an OL coach for a competitive team. Maybe, I'm confusing discussions on a message board with an actual interview. Who knows...

I think that MM is not kicking for more responsibility or a HC job. If he was, I believe that when Haley left the team would've elevated his title to one of those nonsense things like "Offensive Line Coach and Run Game Coordinator" or whatever so that MM could "burnish" his credentials for that next job.

Who knows, maybe MM does have a burning desire to be the main guy again...but nothing in the article actually indicates MM wants to be a HC or that teams would be interested. That is critical -- almost all recent coaching hires not named Jon Gruden have been "hot young new school offensive minds" not "old school line coaches".

To borrow from someone....Summation: I really don't think MM is going anywhere.

DesertSteel
11-02-2018, 11:42 AM
I think MM is probably smart enough at this point that he'd only take a job that wasn't setup to fail. But on the other hand, I think he knows he'd have a job coaching OL within 5 minutes of getting fired as a HC.

st33lersguy
11-02-2018, 12:17 PM
Another thing worth mentioning is age, Mike Munchak will be 59 during the 2019 NFL season, not quite senior citizen level, but closing in on it. Younger may be better for them

Lady Steel
11-03-2018, 01:20 AM
Munchak would be a fool to go to Cleveland, and I don't believe Munchak is a fool. Haley, yes, Munchak, no.

pczach
11-03-2018, 05:11 AM
Lots of good stuff on MM as a head coach. I have one question...does MM want to be a head coach again?

I didn't find it quickly on the Google machines, but I feel like I've seen comments before, by MM, that he basically would be really happy to stay an OL coach for a competitive team. Maybe, I'm confusing discussions on a message board with an actual interview. Who knows...

I think that MM is not kicking for more responsibility or a HC job. If he was, I believe that when Haley left the team would've elevated his title to one of those nonsense things like "Offensive Line Coach and Run Game Coordinator" or whatever so that MM could "burnish" his credentials for that next job.

Who knows, maybe MM does have a burning desire to be the main guy again...but nothing in the article actually indicates MM wants to be a HC or that teams would be interested. That is critical -- almost all recent coaching hires not named Jon Gruden have been "hot young new school offensive minds" not "old school line coaches".

To borrow from someone....Summation: I really don't think MM is going anywhere.

I agree with everything you say in this post.

I seem to remember Munchak saying that he wouldn't want to be a head coach again the year after he was fired by the Titans. I also think he isn't going anywhere.

I believe that he's happy being an OL coach and wants to continue working in that capacity.....but it's funny how things can change when someone approaches people with boatloads of cash.

I still think it won't happen, but you can never say never.