PDA

View Full Version : Game Ball vs Browns

polamalubeast
10-28-2018, 03:10 PM
James Conner is the obvious choice

And in general, the steelers did what they was supposed to do after the first quarter except for the WTF moment on the ST in the 3rd quarter which gave a free TD to the Browns

I would not be surprised if Todd Haley is fired tonight or tomorrow .... 10 offensive yards in the second half before the last drive!

pczach
10-28-2018, 03:14 PM
James Connor was awesome today.

The pass rush was relentless. They hit Mayfield all game long. The defense played well today.

Bud Dupree had a very good game today with a lot of pressures, a sack, and a forced holding penalty in the end zone for a safety. He gets killed when he doesn't do much. He deserves praise when he plays well.

Dwinsgames
10-28-2018, 03:14 PM
James Conner first steeler in history to rush for 2 TDs in a game 3 straight weeks in which they also had 100+ yards rushing

FrancoLambert
10-28-2018, 03:16 PM
Didn’t see it.
But Conner’s stats were awesome.
Glad to hear that Bud looked good.

Fire Goodell
10-28-2018, 03:25 PM
JC

Rotorhead
10-28-2018, 03:26 PM
Conner for sure, Ben and the Oline as well. Def played well, finally have a pass rush today and an INT by Haden. Honestly, the Browns wouldn’t have scored on that ST mess up if the refs wouldn’t have given them so many chances from the 1.

Rotorhead
10-28-2018, 03:27 PM
Damn, was hoping for a Bungles loss today

st33lersguy
10-28-2018, 03:28 PM
Game Balls: Conner, AB, and defense

Goat: Switzer, single-handedly kept Cleveland in the game into the 4th

pczach
10-28-2018, 03:32 PM
Damn, was hoping for a Bungles loss today

It was almost a perfect day.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you can completely kill Switzer for that play. Nix is the guy that called for a fair catch and then moved away from the ball. Who knows what teammates were yelling to him.

GoSlash27
10-28-2018, 03:37 PM
Conner for sure, with an honorable mention to Keith Butler. Way to keep the hammer down! ST gets the goat for not knowing what "free kick" means.

BlackAndGold
10-28-2018, 03:58 PM
Can the Justin Hunter experiment be over with? Laughable that they sat Washington for JH.

Cut him already and activate Ola to get him on the practice field.

st33lersguy
10-28-2018, 04:12 PM
It was almost a perfect day.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you can completely kill Switzer for that play. Nix is the guy that called for a fair catch and then moved away from the ball. Who knows what teammates were yelling to him.

Maybe nix saw that he wouldn't be able to get it and thought Switzer would get it since switzer was in better position

polamalubeast
10-28-2018, 04:13 PM

86WARD
10-28-2018, 04:14 PM

Wasn’t Switzer. Nix threw the fair catch sign up and then let it go. Then no Steelers player went for the ball or went to touch the recovery down. Cleveland should have scored a TD there.

The Goat goes to DANNY SMITH. Once again...his special teams are a disaster and unprepared.

Game Balls: Ben, Brown, Conner on Offense. Defense: Haden, Watt, Heyward and Dupree.

vader29
10-28-2018, 04:24 PM
The Goat goes to DANNY SMITH. Once again...his special teams are a disaster and unprepared.

https://image.ibb.co/kFZDKU/danny.gif

86WARD
10-28-2018, 04:53 PM
The O-Line and Feiler should get game balls as well.

86WARD
10-28-2018, 04:54 PM
https://image.ibb.co/kFZDKU/danny.gif

I threw up...

BlackAndGold
10-28-2018, 05:00 PM
The O-Line and Feiler should get game balls as well.

Never let Munchak go.

86WARD
10-28-2018, 05:06 PM
Never let Munchak go.

Nope. I’d offer him a lifetime contract. No joke.

Shoes
10-28-2018, 05:20 PM
Tomlin for benching Artie Burns.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-28-2018, 05:32 PM
Game ball the D, Conner and AB
Goat Tom Brady Greatest Of All Time lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Tomlin for benching Artie Burns. This!

polamalubeast
10-28-2018, 06:03 PM

GBMelBlount
10-28-2018, 06:10 PM

:applaudit:

Steeldude
10-28-2018, 06:47 PM
Heroes: Conner, O-line, Haden

Goats: Sensabaugh

Shoes
10-28-2018, 06:51 PM
Heroes: Conner, O-line, Haden

Goats: Sensabaugh

I always knew you were an Artie Burns fan. :chuckle:

AtlantaDan
10-28-2018, 06:54 PM

LOL - I guess Smith just assumes his players can learn the rules on their own time

But how you can play football since at least high school and not know the rules if you are fielding free kicks is astonishing.

polamalubeast
10-28-2018, 06:59 PM

Tomlin said Tuesday that Burns' play time would be decided in the way that Burns would be good or not in the practice week .....The fact that he did not have a snap today means he was not very good in practice this week!

GoSlash27
10-28-2018, 07:06 PM
I always knew you were an Artie Burns fan. :chuckle:

^ Valid point.
I don't know if anybody else noticed, but this is the first time this year our secondary didn't get victimized like the new kid at sodomy camp. Our LBs blitzed constantly and left the DBs exposed. And most of the time, Haden was *not* detailed to the deep threat.
We basically dared them to test Sensabaugh and he acquitted himself well.

Not saying he's pro- bowl caliber or anything crazy like that, but I have no complaints about how he performed today.

Best,
-Slashy

P.S. Some love to "Thor" McDonald. Dude was clutch today.

polamalubeast
10-28-2018, 07:16 PM

:toofunny:

GoSlash27
10-28-2018, 07:17 PM
LOL - I guess Smith just assumes his players can learn the rules on their own time

But how you can play football since at least high school and not know the rules if you are fielding free kicks is astonishing.

I bet Switzer never makes this mistake again. Harsh lessons make for long memories.
What I found even more astonishing is how many of the announcers got it wrong as well. Tunch Ilkin didn't get it. Lefty Leftwich didn't get it. Chris Collinsworth didn't get it.
A Safety is a "free kick", not a kickoff. Either team can recover it, but the kicking team cannot advance it after recovery. The Browns ST understood that, but nobody else seemed to.

pepsyman1
10-28-2018, 07:33 PM
James Connor was awesome today.

The pass rush was relentless. They hit Mayfield all game long. The defense played well today.

Bud Dupree had a very good game today with a lot of pressures, a sack, and a forced holding penalty in the end zone for a safety. He gets killed when he doesn't do much. He deserves praise when he plays well.

I have NO IDEA what got into Dupree today. Was the most effective and aggressive game from him I've seen. He looked like he had some strength for a change. If he played like that regularly you'd believe he was a worthwhile draft pick

Shoes
10-28-2018, 07:44 PM
Tomlin said Tuesday that Burns' play time would be decided in the way that Burns would be good or not in the practice week .....The fact that he did not have a snap today means he was not very good in practice this week!

If they trade Bell, I give Burns away for free. If they don't trade Bell, I'd still give Burns away for free.

Shoes
10-28-2018, 07:52 PM
^ Valid point.
I don't know if anybody else noticed, but this is the first time this year our secondary didn't get victimized like the new kid at sodomy camp. Our LBs blitzed constantly and left the DBs exposed. And most of the time, Haden was *not* detailed to the deep threat.
We basically dared them to test Sensabaugh and he acquitted himself well.

Not saying he's pro- bowl caliber or anything crazy like that, but I have no complaints about how he performed today.

Best,
-Slashy

P.S. Some love to "Thor" McDonald. Dude was clutch today.

My feelings also. I'm not a fan of Sensabaugh, but I like him over 3rd talent Dong Burns who is a hot head, a grabber and doesn't seem teachable. I fact he doesn't seem to care if he is traded according to some articles posted this week. I'd be happy to grant his wish.

Craic
10-28-2018, 07:53 PM
Game Ball Offense
Conner. Of course.
MacDonald. Of course.
Brown. While he didn't show up big on the stat board today, he had catches at clutch moments that seemed to spark the Steelers.

HM.
Ben. Not because he had a great game, but just the opposite. He seemed to have a mediocre game, but kept it under control and willed the offense down the field a few times, hitting 3rd down passes when necessary, and throwing checkdowns when necessary as well. He had a very good mental game today.

Game Ball Defense
Dupree. First time he's made the list. Let's hope it's not the last time.
Coaching. For the first time this year, it looked like the entire defense was swarming to the ball.
Haden. Nice INT. Almost had a second one.

Gameball, but Stuck on the Horns of a Goat
Special teams. Several times they did a great job getting down there and stopping any kind of runback. They also threw some nice blocks to spring runbacks and the first run back against them was due to holding. However, gotta draw the goat on the ball first because that freekick mistake was about as ugly as it gets.

AtlantaDan
10-28-2018, 07:57 PM
I bet Switzer never makes this mistake again. Harsh lessons make for long memories.
What I found even more astonishing is how many of the announcers got it wrong as well. Tunch Ilkin didn't get it. Lefty Leftwich didn't get it. Chris Collinsworth didn't get it.
A Safety is a "free kick", not a kickoff. Either team can recover it, but the kicking team cannot advance it after recovery. The Browns ST understood that, but nobody else seemed to.

Perhaps - but Switzer allegedly screwed up another free kick six weeks ago in the Chiefs game

That game featured a special kick combo platter of screwups for Danny Smith's crew (the obvious fix is for the Steelers to avoid scoring safeties)

Steelers Seemingly Had Back-To-Back Special Teams Blunders On Free Kick

After the safety, the Chiefs had to perform a free kick from their own 20-yard-line and it’s obvious the Steelers receiving team wasn’t sure how to line up. This confusion resulted in Steelers running back Stevan Ridley being penalized 5 yards for an illegal formation and that wiped out a 20-yard return by wide receiver Antonio Brown to the Pittsburgh 47-yard-line....

If that penalty wasn’t bad enough, what happened on the re-kick is something else I hope Smith and head coach Mike Tomlin are asked about this coming week when each meet with the media next.
NFL rules state that a free kick, just like a kickoff, can’t go out of bounds untouched without it resulting in a penalty. Colquitt’s re-kick was a booming punt to the left sideline from the Chiefs 25-yard-line and Steelers wide receiver Ryan

Switzer fielded it right at the Steelers 15-yard-line but also right near the sideline. He then returned it 15 yards. Had Switzer not fielded that free kick, would it have gone out of bounds? It’s hard to say for sure via the television angle, but it sure looks like that would’ve been the case. ...

According to the NFL rules on free kicks, which I’m also including below, the penalty for a safety kick out of bounds is that the receiving team may elect to take possession of the ball
30 yards from the spot of the kick or at the out-of-bounds spot. In this particular case on Sunday, 30 yards from the spot of the kick would’ve been the Steelers 45-yard-line, or 15 yards further up the field than Switzer’s return.

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/09/steelers-seemingly-had-back-to-back-special-teams-blunders-on-free-kick/

Danny Smith must have compromising photos or financial information on Tomlin to keep his job

And note that it was Ridley who lined up incorrectly

After his "fumble" today (which the refs wanted no part of reviewing) Ridley no longer played on offense and seems to be in the doghouse

GoSlash27
10-28-2018, 08:04 PM
If they trade Bell, I give Burns away for free. If they don't trade Bell, I'd still give Burns away for free.

I'm not sure if Burns is unable to learn or our secondary coach is unable to teach, but either way it's not doing us or him any good. Dude is a project, not a starter. I don't know if "giving him away" is the right answer... but I don't know that it isn't, either.

DesertSteel
10-28-2018, 09:49 PM
I’m gonna come out and say it. I’ve been thinking it for a couple weeks. James Conner is a better Running Back than Le’veon Bell. Just better. He’s got what Bell has plus an extra gear for long runs. If Bell comes back he’s an 8-10 carries back at best because Conner gets better as the game wears on and he keeps getting fed the ball.

Cliffs: Conner > Bell.

polamalubeast
10-28-2018, 11:34 PM
Perhaps - but Switzer allegedly screwed up another free kick six weeks ago in the Chiefs game

That game featured a special kick combo platter of screwups for Danny Smith's crew (the obvious fix is for the Steelers to avoid scoring safeties)

Steelers Seemingly Had Back-To-Back Special Teams Blunders On Free Kick

After the safety, the Chiefs had to perform a free kick from their own 20-yard-line and it’s obvious the Steelers receiving team wasn’t sure how to line up. This confusion resulted in Steelers running back Stevan Ridley being penalized 5 yards for an illegal formation and that wiped out a 20-yard return by wide receiver Antonio Brown to the Pittsburgh 47-yard-line....

If that penalty wasn’t bad enough, what happened on the re-kick is something else I hope Smith and head coach Mike Tomlin are asked about this coming week when each meet with the media next.
NFL rules state that a free kick, just like a kickoff, can’t go out of bounds untouched without it resulting in a penalty. Colquitt’s re-kick was a booming punt to the left sideline from the Chiefs 25-yard-line and Steelers wide receiver Ryan

Switzer fielded it right at the Steelers 15-yard-line but also right near the sideline. He then returned it 15 yards. Had Switzer not fielded that free kick, would it have gone out of bounds? It’s hard to say for sure via the television angle, but it sure looks like that would’ve been the case. ...

According to the NFL rules on free kicks, which I’m also including below, the penalty for a safety kick out of bounds is that the receiving team may elect to take possession of the ball
30 yards from the spot of the kick or at the out-of-bounds spot. In this particular case on Sunday, 30 yards from the spot of the kick would’ve been the Steelers 45-yard-line, or 15 yards further up the field than Switzer’s return.

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/09/steelers-seemingly-had-back-to-back-special-teams-blunders-on-free-kick/

Danny Smith must have compromising photos or financial information on Tomlin to keep his job

And note that it was Ridley who lined up incorrectly

After his "fumble" today (which the refs wanted no part of reviewing) Ridley no longer played on offense and seems to be in the doghouse

Last year in KC, the chiefs had also recover a free kick I think....It's ridiculous!

Hawkman
10-29-2018, 02:28 AM
So glad we’re keeping this thread on “game ball”.

polamalubeast
10-29-2018, 05:43 AM

polamalubeast
10-29-2018, 06:14 AM
Conner has a pro bowl season and if he continues, he could be an excellent candidate for one of two spots for the first team all-pro RB with Gurley.

teegre
10-29-2018, 06:33 AM
he could be an excellent candidate for one of two spots for the first team all-pro RB with Gurley.

#30 will be first-team All Pro :wink02:

And... neither will be playing in the Pro Bowl (because, they’ll be facing off in Atlanta the following week).

polamalubeast
10-29-2018, 07:09 AM
#30 will be first-team All Pro :wink02:

And... neither will be playing in the Pro Bowl (because, they’ll be facing off in Atlanta the following week).

Many on twitter find it ridiculous that some steelers fans think Conner is better than Bell right now.

It was the same thing in the situation of Mike Wallace vs Antonio Brown in 2012 ....

Iron Steeler
10-29-2018, 08:40 AM
LOL I was livid when that happened. Like the whole team did not understand.

Attention to details, that is one thing the steelers do not do well.

Conner for sure, with an honorable mention to Keith Butler. Way to keep the hammer down! ST gets the goat for not knowing what "free kick" means.

DesertSteel
10-29-2018, 10:01 AM
It was the same thing in the situation of Mike Wallace vs Antonio Brown in 2012 ....
As we did then, we are keeping the right guy.

polamalubeast
10-29-2018, 10:24 AM
What I like about the steelers right now is that the steelers have a lot less drama in the last month outside of the Le'Veon Bell situation.

Yes, it helps when you win, but last year, the steelers had drama almost every week despite our 13-3 season.

Mojouw
10-29-2018, 12:35 PM
Yup. It is lack of drama that is doing it. Not the fact that the offensive line has turned into one of the most dominating units in the entire league. Providing Ben with enough time to check his email before throwing a pass. Opening lanes for Conner into the second level and beyond. The ability of all 5 (or even 6-7) of the OL to pull and move is something that I don't see any other team having.

If the Steelers beat the Ravens next week - watch all the talk of "drama" start up around here again. Why? Bell comes back. And the team will be 5-2-1 with a strangle-hold on the division and suddenly the national media will pay attention again.

Talk will start up as the Steelers being the 3rd best team in the AFC. Can they beat the Pats? Slow down the Chiefs? What about the locker room? How did Mike Tomlin get his team to respond after a slow start? Stick enough microphones in faces and someone will say something dumb. Then we can all freak out about that!

86WARD
10-29-2018, 12:57 PM
Feiler. It’s all you need to know...lol

SteelMember
10-29-2018, 03:51 PM
James Conner

...and special mention for the throwbacks. nice. :thumbsup:

DesertSteel
10-29-2018, 04:13 PM
I didn't care much for the throwbacks. With today's smaller shoulder pads those numbers looked gigantic.

Fire Goodell
10-29-2018, 04:54 PM
Vance McDonald has been impressive. It's almost as if his stiff arm on Conte transferred all his injury proneness out to him. Poor fella lol

polamalubeast
10-29-2018, 06:17 PM

pczach
10-29-2018, 06:26 PM
Yup. It is lack of drama that is doing it. Not the fact that the offensive line has turned into one of the most dominating units in the entire league. Providing Ben with enough time to check his email before throwing a pass. Opening lanes for Conner into the second level and beyond. The ability of all 5 (or even 6-7) of the OL to pull and move is something that I don't see any other team having.

If the Steelers beat the Ravens next week - watch all the talk of "drama" start up around here again. Why? Bell comes back. And the team will be 5-2-1 with a strangle-hold on the division and suddenly the national media will pay attention again.

Talk will start up as the Steelers being the 3rd best team in the AFC. Can they beat the Pats? Slow down the Chiefs? What about the locker room? How did Mike Tomlin get his team to respond after a slow start? Stick enough microphones in faces and someone will say something dumb. Then we can all freak out about that!

I say dumb shit all the time and I don't have microphones sticking in my face.....ever.

Maybe that's why I don't freak out. I hear dumb shit constantly so it doesn't affect me. :chuckle:

DesertSteel
10-29-2018, 08:37 PM

The players were commenting on the drama late last season and early this season as much as fans. Maybe you should have a team meeting with the players when Bell comes back? While it’s not the cause of losing, it is the effect of losing and sometimes the tail starts wagging the dog.

polamalubeast
10-29-2018, 08:42 PM

If the steelers do not have the drama in the coming months like last year, I'll be happy

I mean, last year, remember Antonio Brown and the gatarade in Baltimore ... Bryant's comments on JuJu and his role ..... Ben's comments after his game of 5 interceptions .. ..The situation of James Harrison ..... Bell and his contract

It was ridiculous!

teegre
10-29-2018, 08:55 PM
Vance McDonald has been impressive. It's almost as if his stiff arm on Conte transferred all his injury proneness out to him. Poor fella lol

Best thing that I’ve read in a while. :applaudit:

polamalubeast
10-30-2018, 05:13 AM

stillers4me
10-30-2018, 05:35 AM
Honorable mention to this guy...

steel striker
10-30-2018, 11:14 AM
No doubt James Connor and, what a INT for Hayden and, it would be nice if the special teams could have a good game. Atleast BOZ made all of his kicks.