PDA

View Full Version : For JuJu Smith-Schuster, video games are a hobby — and maybe a post-NFL career

AtlantaDan
10-27-2018, 07:43 AM
Good article on JuJu continuing to work on developing his brand. Excerpts and link below

After outrunning defensive backs through the first six weeks of the NFL season, Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster spent his bye week eluding grenade launchers, machine-gun fire and the full cyber-arsenal at his opponents’ disposal in “Call of Duty: Black Ops 4.”

An avid video-gaming enthusiast, Smith-Schuster describes his favorite franchise, Call of Duty, as therapeutic, an off-hours respite from the grind of the NFL. Better still, it’s another way to connect with fans and extend his personal brand — something he has given a lot of thought to since declaring for the draft after his junior year at Southern California....

Smith-Schuster is a new-era NFL player who’s laying the foundation for his exit strategy while in the prime of his career. That could come in a few years (the average career of an NFL wide receiver is less than three years), or it could be a dozen years off, should he prove to be the next Larry Fitzgerald.

Either way, Smith-Schuster is shaking up norms for NFL players, peeling back the layers of his private life to show fans who he is via multiple social-media platforms. He’s not just on Twitter and Instagram, often with his 1-year-old French bulldog Boujee. Smith-Schuster has built a YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGSvNGDkhdvuokEVVZ-Co_g) with more than 580,000 subscribers by posting videos of his Barcelona vacation, a summertime pool party and dog-park playtime. But the streaming of his Call of Duty sessions represents a deeper level of intimacy, inviting fans into his brain, in effect, as they follow along and critique his decision-making via chat in real time, without filter or audio delay.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/10/26/juju-smith-schuster-video-games-are-hobby-maybe-post-nfl-career/?utm_term=.2c877ea8a18f

JuJu may not make playing video games a post-NFL career. But given all the ads on TV during sporting events for video games I bet there are $$$ to be made for a high profile NFL player endorsing them.

Continue to be impressed with JuJu both on the field and for how savvy a 21 year old is in using social media for off the field marketing of his image. Noteworthy this is not a Post-Gazette article but the Washington Post, which has national reach. Whoever is advising JuJu is doing a better job of getting their message through than whoever is trying to get through to Bell.

teegre
10-27-2018, 08:01 AM
A year ago, I stated that JuJu would become the face of the NFL.

I was wrong... JuJu has become much more than that.

tube517
10-27-2018, 02:59 PM
Boujee may also be a budding social media star.

pczach
10-27-2018, 04:54 PM
A year ago, I stated that JuJu would become the face of the NFL.

I was wrong... JuJu has become much more than that.

People want to root for young, smart, energetic players that are likeable. They are craving players that play hard on the field, and are accessible yet genuine off of it. They love players that have a love of the game, carry themselves with class and don't shove a political agenda down everyone's throats.

NFL fans are hungry for players like that. JuJu is a player fans can love.

smokin3000gt
10-27-2018, 06:01 PM
I hear that the guys that stream their games on twitch with lots of subscribers make big money

BlackAndGold
10-27-2018, 08:13 PM
I hear that the guys that stream their games on twitch with lots of subscribers make big money

Streamers can make a good amount of money by streaming. It's take a bit of work to build up a base and you gotta be extremely good or entertaining but they can make that their career.

They can also use YouTube to post videos and make $$$ via views/subscribers/likes.

polamalubeast
10-28-2018, 09:20 AM
People want to root for young, smart, energetic players that are likeable. They are craving players that play hard on the field, and are accessible yet genuine off of it. They love players that have a love of the game, carry themselves with class and don't shove a political agenda down everyone's throats.

NFL fans are hungry for players like that. JuJu is a player fans can love.

And Bell do not understand why he is hated by his fan base.

teegre
10-28-2018, 09:35 AM
There are kids getting hundreds of thousands (yep)... for playing with/reviewing toys online.

Some gamers have huge followings and make millions (yep)... by simply recording themselves playing video games and posting them online.

JoJo Siwa has made many millions (yep)... simply because she wore a bow in her hair while dancing.

SUMMATION:
Mark Madden can hate JuJu for embracing the modern world, but when it’s all over, I’d bet that only about 10% of JuJu’s total earnings will come from football; the vast majority of his earnings will come from advertising dollars and his social media presence.

#buystockinJuJu