PDA

View Full Version : Joe Greene Says 70s Defense Would Be Ejected By Halftime Under Today’s Rules

polamalubeast
10-26-2018, 07:04 AM

EzraTank
10-26-2018, 09:45 AM
He's correct.

st33lersguy
10-26-2018, 10:47 AM
It would be a sharp adjustment period for sure. Other greats would have to face a diffiuclt transition period, Deacon Jones, Night Train Lane among others

tube517
10-26-2018, 10:47 AM
Ejected and suspended for the rest of the season.

Only starter available would have been Mike Wagner who said the front 7 was so good, he would be sitting back watching and not having to tackle anyone.

86WARD
10-26-2018, 10:48 AM
Cheaters. Steroid Users. Cheap shot artists. Did I forget anything?

86WARD
10-26-2018, 10:51 AM
It would be a sharp adjustment period for sure. Other greats would have to face a diffiuclt transition period, Deacon Jones, Night Train Lane among others

Chuck Bednarik, Andre “Dirty” Waters, Dick Butkus...the list would go on and on and on and on.

st33lersguy
10-26-2018, 10:54 AM
Chuck Bednarik, Andre “Dirty” Waters, Dick Butkus...the list would go on and on and on and on.

Not to mention the 70s raiders would be depleted as well.

86WARD
10-26-2018, 10:56 AM
Not to mention the 70s raiders would be depleted as well.

Doomsday Defense, Purple People Eaters...all gone...lol

AtlantaDan
10-26-2018, 11:02 AM
Ejected and suspended for the rest of the season.

Only starter available would have been Mike Wagner who said the front 7 was so good, he would be sitting back watching and not having to tackle anyone.

And Jack Ham, who ran a clinic on how to play OLB in a 4-3 defense

Hard to say a 6 time All Pro gets overlooked but sometimes the legend of Lambert diminishes how great Ham was

Mojouw
10-26-2018, 11:56 AM
I guess I don't get the point of this statement. Legendary players from great teams in the eras of football that are several decades prior to the 1970's would've been ejected or fined in the 1970's. The 1976 season was 42 years ago. That's a lifetime. Not surprisingly the game has changed. And changed dramatically. I'm sure dudes that played back when the forward pass was an unimaginable concept and went out and played both offense and defense scoffed at the state of the NFL in the 1970s.

pczach
10-26-2018, 01:39 PM

Hard to say a 6 time All Pro gets overlooked but sometimes the legend of Lambert diminishes how great Ham was

Jack Ham was the most technically sound LB I have ever seen play. He was also very gifted athletically.

I always thought he was better than Lambert....who was phenomenal. What an embarrassment of riches.

What a great player.

tube517
10-26-2018, 02:01 PM

I agree. Ham was a technician. Could cover, sack, and play against the run. Lambert said Ham was the greatest LB he ever saw play.

AtlantaDan
10-26-2018, 02:51 PM
I agree. Ham was a technician. Could cover, sack, and play against the run. Lambert said Ham was the greatest LB he ever saw play.

Have linked to this this before but to illustrate what pczach, you and I have posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxmcH_x60oU

FrancoLambert
10-26-2018, 04:53 PM

And if you asked Ham who was the greatest LB he ever saw play, he’d probably say Lambert.
I doubt that there ever was a stronger 1-2 LB combo. They complemented each other so perfectly.

GoSlash27
10-26-2018, 05:54 PM
It goes without saying. The rules have changed year to year to make football less violent. There were things that were legal just last year that can't be done now. So *clearly* you can't play football like it was played back in the '70s in today's NFL.

LambertsLunatic58
10-26-2018, 05:56 PM
That was an awesome video. I was fortunate enough to grow up watching Ham and Lambert. It's too bad it's not allowed in the NFL nowadays.

Craic
10-26-2018, 06:04 PM
That was an awesome video. I was fortunate enough to grow up watching Ham and Lambert. It's too bad it's not allowed in the NFL nowadays.

Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about. Every one of those tackles by Ham was text-book what the NFL wants today. Not once did he put a helmet or hand on another guy's helmet. In other words, this was back in the days when the players knew how to tackle properly. Wrap the player and bring them down rather than going for the big ESPN-style hits.

86WARD
10-26-2018, 06:27 PM
Jack Ham was the most technically sound LB I have ever seen play. He was also very gifted athletically.

I always thought he was better than Lambert....who was phenomenal. What an embarrassment of riches.

What a great player.

I’ve said that as well about Ham. I’ve always been a fan. Bigger fan after I met him at a PSU Homecoming. He was in my fraternity...or I in his.

pczach
10-26-2018, 10:12 PM
That's awesome.

Yeah, I'm a huge PSU fan. I was never fortunate enough to meet him, but I've been to many games and know a lot of people that have met him and know him. I have never heard a bad thing said about him from anyone. Everyone says he is a humble and gracious man. Just a great person. This is also from people that don't have ties to Penn State and are going to give me an answer that I completely trust.

It is rarely the case with famous people to be universally respected, admired, and liked.

teegre
10-26-2018, 10:31 PM

My dad avers that Ham was the greatest Steelers linebacker ever.

Stats are stats, but towards the end of his career, Ray Lewis was closing the gap (on Jack Ham) for most INTs by a linebacker... but, fell one short... with five more seasons... in a passing era. In other words, the “greatest” modern era LB (:puke:) wasn’t able to do what Ham did.

Butch
10-26-2018, 10:38 PM
I guess I don't get the point of this statement. Legendary players from great teams in the eras of football that are several decades prior to the 1970's would've been ejected or fined in the 1970's. The 1976 season was 42 years ago. That's a lifetime. Not surprisingly the game has changed. And changed dramatically. I'm sure dudes that played back when the forward pass was an unimaginable concept and went out and played both offense and defense scoffed at the state of the NFL in the 1970s.

It's to bad there is not a link to the actual article. In the article he does state that the 70's defense would be ejected by halftime simply to illustrate that the games has changed, but he's not saying that the game in the 70's was better. He states that the games changes are safer and better than when he played.

I honestly believe he said they would be ejected by 1/2 time as a tongue in cheek type of joke.

Fire Goodell
10-26-2018, 11:24 PM
the 90s blitzburgh defense would get ejected by halftime too lol

so would james harrison in his prime

fansince'76
10-27-2018, 06:27 AM
How much would Lambert be fined for this statement today? :chuckle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxDUCaUYhnw

The 1976 season was 42 years ago. That's a lifetime.

Please don't remind me. :old: :chuckle:

silver & black
10-27-2018, 08:55 AM
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of us here that remember the 70's era NFL. Every defense would be ejected today...lol.

Can you imagine Jerry Kramer coming up under a D lineman's chin with his helmet today? I know he was an O lineman, ( and played in the 60's) but....................

Jack Tatum wouldn't last 3 plays...lol.

GoSlash27
10-27-2018, 09:04 AM
http://www.steeleraddicts.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/WardBengalsTaunt.jpg
This was perfectly okay.
http://steelersdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/StockJuJU14-777x437.jpg
This was a fine and suspension.

Times change.

teegre
10-27-2018, 10:23 AM
http://www.steeleraddicts.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/WardBengalsTaunt.jpg

Times change.

What is interesting about that play is that the DB was taunting Ward all game long, calling him a gook. When Ward lit him up (knocked him out), Ward stood over him with tears running down his face screaming, “Who’s the gook now!?!”

The ref walked over, wrapped his arms around Ward, and gently walked him to the sidelines.

SUMMATION:
The ref didn’t throw a flag, because the ref knew that it was karma.

GoSlash27
10-27-2018, 10:44 AM
What is interesting about that play is that the DB was taunting Ward all game long, calling him a gook. When Ward lit him up (knocked him out), Ward stood over him with tears running down his face screaming, “Who’s the gook now!?!”

The ref walked over, wrapped his arms around Ward, and gently walked him to the sidelines.

SUMMATION:
The ref didn’t throw a flag, because the ref knew that it was karma.

I've been hunting all morning trying to figure out which game that was and who the victim was.
Best,
-Slashy

43Hitman
10-27-2018, 11:00 AM
I've been hunting all morning trying to figure out which game that was and who the victim was.
Best,
-Slashy

I could be misremembering but I thought it was an LB named Rivers.

teegre
10-28-2018, 09:38 AM
Best,
-Slashy

It was a DB, for certain. (I know that that is not the Keith Rivers play.)

i want to say Chris Crocker...:noidea: but, I’m not sure.

tom444
10-28-2018, 11:06 AM

What a great player.

Ham was better than Lambert.

BnG_Hevn
10-28-2018, 12:42 PM
That goes without saying, when you kick other players in the groin and elbow them. Today that is considered dirty (Su) but for some inexplicable reason it is "manly" when you are talking about the 70s Steelers.

GoSlash27
10-28-2018, 03:49 PM
That goes without saying, when you kick other players in the groin and elbow them. Today that is considered dirty (Su) but for some inexplicable reason it is "manly" when you are talking about the 70s Steelers.
Well... it was considered "manly" because that's how *everybody* played football back then. The winning team would physically dominate their opponent and impose their will. The game has changed, the rules have changed, and what's considered "dirty" has changed. Suh was a dirty player and Burfict is *definitely* a dirty player.

BnG_Hevn
10-28-2018, 04:34 PM
Well... it was considered "manly" because that's how *everybody* played football back then. The winning team would physically dominate their opponent and impose their will. The game has changed, the rules have changed, and what's considered "dirty" has changed. Suh was a dirty player and Burfict is *definitely* a dirty player.

But if Suh played in the 70s he'd also be "manly".

IMO, flat out dirty play is not imposing your will, it just is needed to make up for your inability TO impose your will.

I'll root for a hard-hitter who plays clean over dirty play any day.

tube517
10-28-2018, 04:51 PM
It was a DB, for certain. (I know that that is not the Keith Rivers play.)

i want to say Chris Crocker...:noidea: but, I’m not sure.

Tory James

http://old.post-gazette.com/steelersphoto/photos_display.asp?ID=2975

GoSlash27
10-28-2018, 05:02 PM
But if Suh played in the 70s he'd also be "manly".

What's the line? "If my grandma had balls, she'd be my grandpa"?
If you're doing things that others are afraid of retaliating for fear of getting themselves ejected, then you're dirty. Yeah, Suh could kick other players in the '70s and it's not dirty... but then again they could punish him for it and that was also not dirty.