PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the state of the defense

cold-hard-steel
10-21-2018, 11:41 AM
I know i have been pretty optimistic about the defensive side of this team.I thought that the early start was kind of slow,but they would improve as they strung a few games together.So far i believe you can see an improvement in most areas except for ole "Artie Burnt"having a rough time.But i still believe he can regroup.

polamalubeast
10-21-2018, 12:01 PM
I'm afraid our month of December is going to be disastrous for this defense against Rivers, Brady and Brees.

We will see, but at least in the last 2 weeks they have done well against two good offenses, but they are terrible when the opposing offense is in the empty backfield ....

Neversatisfied
10-21-2018, 12:36 PM
The state of the entire franchise is shakey. Half of the 1st round draft picks in the last 10 years haven't panned out, the Coaching is very poor, the drama with several key players going back to Plaxico Burris is just increasing year to year. The defense is a giant question mark after being totally rebuilt with many high draft picks has struggled in the last 4-5 seasons, the defensive line hasn't had the penetration necessary to get pressure on QBs,the Linebackers have trouble rushing and pass protecting and the secondary is a dumpster fire. Mike Tomlin and the Steelers organization are damn lucky they have one of the best QBs of the 25 years to help win them games ( which is true of most teams but especially true in this situation) Ben Roethlisberger in my opinion has been greatly responsible for Mike Tomlin still being employed with the Steelers. I see big problems for this team when Ben retired if Mason Rudolph is anything less than phenomenal.

GoSlash27
10-21-2018, 12:47 PM
I think the defense is doing what they need to do. The only glaring weakness I see is RCB. Every time they're exposed they get torched worse than Dresden. If we get that sorted out, I think we'll be just fine.

Best,
-Slashy

Hawkman
10-21-2018, 03:57 PM
Thanks everyone for the great news.....I’ll get back to you at the end of the season.

teegre
10-22-2018, 06:44 AM
This week, we get back Olaqwerty Adeniyi.

#passrushdepth

pczach
10-22-2018, 10:38 AM

#passrushdepth

It's always great to have another pass rusher on the depth chart.

It's unfortunate that he hasn't been healthy enough to work on his craft or gain any experience.

I'm really interested to see him in real game situations. He played well in preseason and seems to have natural pass rushing skills and strength.

Mojouw
10-22-2018, 10:48 AM

#passrushdepth

I don't think it is certain he comes off IR. As of a week ago the team hadn't told alphabet soup if he was or not.

86WARD
10-22-2018, 11:23 AM
A look around the league and a lot of defenses are having problems with the Chargers, Chiefs, Rams, Steelers, etc offenses. This season it’s going to take all offense to win a Super Bowl and one or two plays from a defense. This is why I am totally looking forward to Bell returning. Getting Bell back on offense should be a bigger impact on a game than getting a Patrick Peterson on Defense.

polamalubeast
10-22-2018, 11:27 AM
A look around the league and a lot of defenses are having problems with the Chargers, Chiefs, Rams, Steelers, etc offenses. This season it’s going to take all offense to win a Super Bowl and one or two plays from a defense. This is why I am totally looking forward to Bell returning. Getting Bell back on offense should be a bigger impact on a game than getting a Patrick Peterson on Defense.

disagree...I'd rather see Artie Burns on the bench than James Conner.

86WARD
10-22-2018, 12:17 PM
disagree...I'd rather see Artie Burns on the bench than James Conner.

Conner doesn’t have to be on the bench...that’s the thing...it could be Washington or Switzer that gets seated. Not Conner.

EzraTank
10-22-2018, 01:55 PM
I'm afraid our month of December is going to be disastrous for this defense against Rivers, Brady and Brees.

We will see, but at least in the last 2 weeks they have done well against two good offenses, but they are terrible when the opposing offense is in the empty backfield ....

Agree on all parts.

When the opposing offense goes empty backfield we should just bring everyone to the line and go jail break. It's going to be a huge gain/TD anyhow so why not make it fun!

polamalubeast
10-22-2018, 03:03 PM
Conner doesn’t have to be on the bench...that’s the thing...it could be Washington or Switzer that gets seated. Not Conner.

Under Tomlin, steelers have always used only one running back, rarely a rotation except for 2012,when every RB of our team was garbage, so I do not think it's going to change.

The offense need more a good 3rd receiver ....

86WARD
10-22-2018, 03:37 PM
Under Tomlin, steelers have always used only one running back, rarely a rotation except for 2012,when every RB of our team was garbage, so I do not think it's going to change.

The offense need more a good 3rd receiver ....

It’s not like they’ve had two talented running backs during his tenure either. No reason they can’t continue to evolve. Ben added several new plays and a new formation a couple weeks ago. Getting Bell back (if he’s in shape) is not a bad thing.

polamalubeast
10-22-2018, 03:40 PM
It’s not like they’ve had two talented running backs during his tenure either. No reason they can’t continue to evolve. Ben added several new plays and a new formation a couple weeks ago. Getting Bell back (if he’s in shape) is not a bad thing.

DeAngelo Williams was not good as Conner is right now,but Williams was above average for most of the time with us especially for 2015,but he was on the bench when Bell was healthy....

86WARD
10-22-2018, 05:59 PM
Williams wasn’t as versatile as Conner or Bell. He just wasn’t as good as Conner or Bell. He had three 100 yard games as a starter and looked good doing it but there’s a major difference watching him versus Conner or Bell. He was very serviceable, but he wasn’t LeVeon or Conner...he couldn’t do what those two have or are doing.

Having Bell and Conner on the same team is not a problem...lol.

This is an offensive league this season...defenses are just behind the offenses right now so anything you can add to offense...especially a Top-2 RB is a huge plus.

polamalubeast
10-22-2018, 06:06 PM
I do not disagree with you about that, it's just that I do not trust Tomlin will use his two RBs if Bell comes back ....

Tomlin does not know what's a rotation and we saw that last year with his OLBs when James Harrison was on the bench all year long .... There are several other examples too.

Craic
10-22-2018, 08:22 PM
DeAngelo Williams was not good as Conner is right now,but Williams was above average for most of the time with us especially for 2015,but he was on the bench when Bell was healthy....

Williams was also quite a bit older and even with a full tank, didn't have a season's worth of gas. I don't think there's any comparison to bringing in a backup like Williams who knows his goal is to be the emergency back who can get it done.

86WARD
10-22-2018, 09:24 PM
I do not disagree with you about that, it's just that I do not trust Tomlin will use his two RBs if Bell comes back ....

Tomlin does not know what's a rotation and we saw that last year with his OLBs when James Harrison was on the bench all year long .... There are several other examples too.

No...you’re right...at times, Tomlin has never really done things that made sense regarding personnel on-field. Just look at the kick return game. He’s had better options on the team yet opted for worse, worst and “worser” options at times.