PDA

View Full Version : Paul Zeise: Le'Veon Bell bet on himself and lost

polamalubeast
10-16-2018, 06:27 AM
Le’Veon Bell apparently thinks he is helping himself in the long-term by sacrificing games and paychecks with the Steelers this year. His agent, Adisa Bakari, is presumably on board with this plan and has made comments publicly that indicate as much.

If that’s the case, here is the one thing out of this dilemma that becomes clearer every week: Bell needs a new agent.

Let me rephrase that a little. Bell needs someone to give him better advice. This holdout has been nothing but a bad look for Bell and there is no chance he is helping his quest for a long-term deal.

He gambled on the belief that he wasn’t replaceable, but he didn’t plan on James Conner producing like he has. Conner has made Bell more and more expendable, which isn’t helping Bell’s quest for a big deal in the offseason. Bell could still return and put up huge numbers, but that possibility becomes more remote each week.

Many of Bell’s teammates sound like they would rather stick with Conner as the starting running back.

“James was a bowling ball [against the Bengals], he was all over the place. What a great game,” Ben Roethlisberger said after the Steelers won, 28-21, Sunday at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati. “But I know it is his last game for us since Le’Veon’s coming back.”

The line drew laughs, but Roethlisberger was being more sarcastic than funny. This isn’t the first time he has sent a message that he is growing increasingly comfortable with Conner, who rushed for 111 yards and two touchdowns Sunday. Last week on his radio show he said Conner should “by no means” have to go on the shelf when Bell comes back.

That’s bad news for Bell; Roethlisberger generally gets what he wants.

To prove his value, he gambled that the Steelers wouldn’t be able to replace his production. He has lost that bet.

Conner has proven that he can replicate most, if not all, of what Bell can do. Conner has also proven Bell’s receiving numbers — a big piece of his claim that his contract should set the market for running backs — are mostly a product of the Steelers’ offense.

Bell will still get paid, but he will be lucky to get a deal as good as the one the Steelers offered. He has gotten bad advice from the start — and it is going to cost him millions.

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/zeise-is-right/2018/10/15/le-veon-bell-contract-adisa-bakari-james-conner-steelers-running-backs/stories/201810150145?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1539688721

86WARD
10-16-2018, 06:49 AM
I said this in another thread. He’s hurting his value and the more he sits and gets out of football shape, the more it could possibly hurt him if he even comes back this season. He’s not going to produce at a LeVeon Bell Level when he returns and he may not get enough carries in Pittsburgh to “get in a groove”.

Teams will look at:

- His attitude - minus money
- His production in 2018 - minus money
- His past production - plus big money
- His past antics - minus money
- This past off-season - minus money
- DeAngelo Williams production - minus money
- James Connor production - minus money
- Todd Gurley current contract vs. production - minus money

It’s looking more and more every day that he should’ve taken that Steelers offer or maybe tried to bargain for the same deal with a couple million more up front guarantee but not ask for AB money.

Having said that, there’s still going to be someone who will pay him and it will probably be a deal relatively close to the Steelers deal with a couple more dollars guaranteed but he’s not going to get Gurley money...especially with what Gurley is doing. That’s not helping his holdout either.

86WARD
10-16-2018, 06:54 AM
Teams will look at:

- His attitude - minus money
- His production in 2018 - minus money
- His past production - plus big money
- His past antics - minus money
- This past off-season - minus money
- DeAngelo Williams production - minus money
- James Connor production - minus money
- Todd Gurley current contract vs. production - minus money

To quote myself:

If Bell’s deal starts at $18M/year (plus big money) and you subtract say $500k for each “minus money” listed above...which I think are all legitimate concerns when paying top dollar for a n NFL player...that puts his contract at $14.5M per season. Is that not in the neighborhood of what the Steelers offered him?

teegre
10-16-2018, 06:58 AM
@86

:nod: As I’ve averred for a long time: Bell isn’t good at math.

polamalubeast
10-16-2018, 07:03 AM
The fact that his production has been replaced by Williams or Conner in the last few years and that our offense has had the same production or even better without Bell proves that Bell is not a one of the lifetime players as his agent has already said.

Bell is very good, but maybe he is also a system back that has been helped by the talented players around him including the O-line!

Bell is one of the most idiotic and selfish players I've seen in my life and who thought himself bigger than the team.

AtlantaDan
10-16-2018, 07:59 AM
Conner being plugged in for Bell and putting up good numbers is another piece in the puzzle of what Bell may get paid. Two more pieces are the Giants going nowhere despite Saquon Barkley being a human highlight film (the days of a RB alone carrying the offense are long gone) and Leonard Fournette having been on the shelf most of the season (RB durability always a concern).

Bell and his agent will counter that the Rams investment in Todd Gurley is paying off - they better hope Gurley makes it through 2018 intact.

43Hitman
10-16-2018, 08:28 AM
The fact that his production has been replaced by Williams or Conner in the last few years and that our offense has had the same production or even better without Bell proves that Bell is not a one of the lifetime players as his agent has already said.

Bell is very good, but maybe he is also a system back that has been helped by the talented players around him including the O-line!

Bell is one of the most idiotic and selfish players I've seen in my life and who thought himself bigger than the team.

I agree. He has over-played his hand big time.

GBMelBlount
10-16-2018, 08:31 AM
Conner has proven that he can replicate most, if not all, of what Bell can do.

Conner has also proven Bell’s receiving numbers — a big piece of his claim that his contract should set the market for running backs — are mostly a product of the Steelers’ offense.

Boom.

tube517
10-16-2018, 08:55 AM
I can't think of any other RB that sat out for so long other than John Riggins, who sat out the whole season in 1980.

He came back in 1981 because he was bored and "broke".

And Riggins was sharing the load w/Joe Washington when he came back in 1981, sometimes barely getting any carries.

By 1982, he was back to being the workhorse and getting a ring.

86WARD
10-16-2018, 10:30 AM
I can't think of any other RB that sat out for so long other than John Riggins, who sat out the whole season in 1980.

He came back in 1981 because he was bored and "broke".

And Riggins was sharing the load w/Joe Washington when he came back in 1981, sometimes barely getting any carries.

By 1982, he was back to being the workhorse and getting a ring.

I don’t think there’s been anyone else to holdout that long. Maybe Eric Dickerson was a good amount but not as long as Bell and never a full season. Most guys have only been the Preseason or I think Faulk and/or Emmitt say at a couple weeks. Maybe Jamal Anderson too?

AtlantaDan
10-16-2018, 10:45 AM
I don’t think there’s been anyone else to holdout that long. Maybe Eric Dickerson was a good amount but not as long as Bell and never a full season. Most guys have only been the Preseason or I think Faulk and/or Emmitt say at a couple weeks. Maybe Jamal Anderson too?

Dickerson held out twice - missed two regular season games in 1985 and five regular season games in 1990

Emmitt Smith missed the first two weeks of the 1993 regular season

Faulk held out for 12 days in preseason

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d82b3be8e/history-of-running-back-holdouts

Jamal Anderson came back before the first exhibition game in 1999 after getting his contract done, blew out his knee in week 2 of the regular season, and was never the same after that

http://a.espncdn.com/nfl/news/1999/0920/69142.html

Moose
10-16-2018, 10:52 AM
Excellent post polamalubeast ! I agree 100%, I too think he hurt himself and future chances immensely. I'm not sure he'd knock player's on their asses like Conner is capable of either

Fire Goodell
10-16-2018, 11:07 AM
In the words of Herm Edwards: If there is one player who's bigger than the game, you need to find a new coach, cause I'll quit

Also about who becomes starter when Bell is back, Conner should keep the job unless he loses it. You don't bench a RB that's averaging 4.4 yards per carry, 10 yards a catch, 7 TD's and #5 in the NFL in rushing, unless the guy coming back is Todd Gurley. You just don't. Not to mention intangibles like his workhorse ethic is contagious and the team seems to rally behind this kid. Not to mention he's earned the favor of the franchise QB.

About Gurley, he is something else. That is without a doubt the top running back talent in the NFL and he seems to be just running away with the rushing title this year. Nobody is going to get paid as much as him for at least a few more years.

86WARD
10-16-2018, 01:48 PM
Dickerson held out twice - missed two regular season games in 1985 and five regular season games in 1990

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d82b3be8e/history-of-running-back-holdouts

Jamal Anderson came back before the first exhibition game in 1999 after getting his contract done, blew out his knee in week 2 of the regular season, and was never the same after that

Nice. So I was close. I knew that Dickerson was a little while and i remember Emmitts very well. Couldn’t remember Jamal Anderson.

Steeler-in-west
10-16-2018, 02:50 PM
By going along with Bell, the agent is doing Bell and himself a disservice. This is just getting worse and worse for both of them really.

AtlantaDan
10-16-2018, 03:35 PM
Another data point regarding the hazards of signing a RB to a big bucks contract

The Atlanta Falcons (http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/atl/atlanta-falcons) will place two-time Pro Bowl running back Devonta Freeman (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/16944/devonta-freeman) on injured reserve with a groin injury, coach Dan Quinn said Tuesday....

The Falcons signed Freeman to a five-year, $41.25 million extension last year that included $22 million in guaranteed money....

Freeman, 26, rushed for 865 yards and 7 touchdowns on 196 carries in 2017. He had back-to-back 1,000-rushing-yard seasons in 2015 and '16. Last year, a significant right knee injury limited Freeman's production.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24998462/atlanta-falcons-placing-rb-devonta-freeman-injured-reserve

HollywoodSteel
10-16-2018, 03:44 PM

What about Jones-Drew, who now says he wishes he’d sat out the whole season rather than cave to the pressure.

But has ANYONE ever held out when there was no possibility that they could get a contract extension ( per NFL rules) and ONLY held out to preserve his body for the next season?

Holding out is usually a leverage move with contract demands the team COULD actually grant, and thereby end the holdout.

Has anyone ever done exactly what Bell is doing?

HollywoodSteel
10-16-2018, 03:57 PM
Another data point regarding the hazards of signing a RB to a big bucks contract

The Atlanta Falcons (http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/atl/atlanta-falcons) will place two-time Pro Bowl running back Devonta Freeman (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/16944/devonta-freeman) on injured reserve with a groin injury, coach Dan Quinn said Tuesday....

The Falcons signed Freeman to a five-year, $41.25 million extension last year that included $22 million in guaranteed money....

Freeman, 26, rushed for 865 yards and 7 touchdowns on 196 carries in 2017. He had back-to-back 1,000-rushing-yard seasons in 2015 and '16. Last year, a significant right knee injury limited Freeman's production.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24998462/atlanta-falcons-placing-rb-devonta-freeman-injured-reserve

Yes but from Bell’s point of view that’s EXACTLY why he shouldn’t play this year WITHOUT that big guaranteed contract extension. Bell acknowledges that risk and fears it. He also thinks he’s done enough that in FA some team WOULD take the risk so he doesn’t have to by playing under a one year franchise tag.

I agree that Bell has not made the smartest moves, but this risk of injury is exactly what Bell doesn’t think he should be forced to make by playing under a franchise tag.

Bell is really holding out against the idea of a one year tag more than he’s holding out against the Steelers specifically.

But those are the rules in the CBA his union signed before he even entered the league. He is suffering from the rookie contract rules that kept him from negotiating when he was drafted.

I kind of get the overall point even though I do not agree with the decisions he’s made, ESPECIALLY the decision not to say what he planned on doing and deceiving his teammates.

If he mentioned this plan back when he was negotiating, it might have HELPED him back then.

86WARD
10-16-2018, 04:02 PM
What about Jones-Drew, who now says he wishes he’d sat out the whole season rather than cave to the pressure.

But has ANYONE ever held out when there was no possibility that they could get a contract extension ( per NFL rules) and ONLY held out to preserve his body for the next season?

Holding out is usually a leverage move with contract demands the team COULD actually grant, and thereby end the holdout.

Has anyone ever done exactly what Bell is doing?

Bo Jackson? Although he had a job to fall back on and was never on a roster but nonetheless, held out without any kind of contract. Closest I could think of...

I think there was aomeone who held out until Week 10 or when they had to report...just can’t remember who it was.

AtlantaDan
10-16-2018, 04:19 PM
Yes but from Bell’s point of view that’s EXACTLY why he shouldn’t play this year WITHOUT that big guaranteed contract extension. Bell acknowledges that risk and fears it. He also thinks he’s done enough that in FA some team WOULD take the risk so he doesn’t have to by playing under a one year franchise tag.

I agree that Bell has not made the smartest moves, but this risk of injury is exactly what Bell doesn’t think he should be forced to make by playing under a franchise tag.

Bell is really holding out against the idea of a one year tag more than he’s holding out against the Steelers specifically.

But those are the rules in the CBA his union signed before he even entered the league. He is suffering from the rookie contract rules that kept him from negotiating when he was drafted.

I kind of get the overall point even though I do not agree with the decisions he’s made, ESPECIALLY the decision not to say what he planned on doing and deceiving his teammates.

If he mentioned this plan back when he was negotiating, it might have HELPED him back then.

I think we are more in agreement than disagreement :drink:

As has been posted here repeatedly, Bell's problem is he plays the wrong position to expect teams to fall over each other to sign him to a megabucks deal when you can plug in a third round pick like Conner.

I get his reluctance to expose himself to injury before he cashes in.

I get teams' reluctance to run the risk of signing a RB to a big $$$ contract after the rookie contract even more, given both the injury risk and ability to find a competent, much less expensive replacement.

Steelers got lucky that Bell did not accept their offer, while Falcons apparently have now been burned twice with big contracts to Jamal Anderson and now Freeman

DesertSteel
10-16-2018, 05:50 PM
I think we are more in agreement than disagreement :drink:

As has been posted here repeatedly, Bell's problem is he plays the wrong position to expect teams to fall over each other to sign him to a megabucks deal when you can plug in a third round pick like Conner.

I get his reluctance to expose himself to injury before he cashes in.

I get teams' reluctance to run the risk of signing a RB to a big $$$ contract after the rookie contract even more, given both the injury risk and ability to find a competent, much less expensive replacement.

Steelers got lucky that Bell did not accept their offer, while Falcons apparently have now been burned twice with big contracts to Jamal Anderson and now Freeman
David Johnson is not doing much for AZ either.

Mojouw
10-16-2018, 06:00 PM
David Johnson is not doing much for AZ either.

To be fair to David Johnson that might be more because the coaching staff are idiots, the team is kind of a tire fire, and Rosen is far from a finished product.

The criminal use of DJ to just run dive plays into the middle of the line is total lunacy. They are getting him less than 6 targets per game in the passing attack. Because rather than getting the ball to our best (only?) playmaker, lets have the rookie QB throw to who?

Sorry for the mini-rant. But I just can't stand dumb football. Even the Giants are able to get the ball to Barkley more creatively and the fork sticking out of Eli Manning's back is the size of Staten Island.

86WARD
10-16-2018, 06:01 PM

What sucks about the Freeman injury is that Atlanta May now try a little harder to retain Tevin Coleman and he could’ve been a nice compliment to Conner at a reasonable price.

DesertSteel
10-16-2018, 06:40 PM
To be fair to David Johnson that might be more because the coaching staff are idiots, the team is kind of a tire fire, and Rosen is far from a finished product.

The criminal use of DJ to just run dive plays into the middle of the line is total lunacy. They are getting him less than 6 targets per game in the passing attack. Because rather than getting the ball to our best (only?) playmaker, lets have the rookie QB throw to who?

Sorry for the mini-rant. But I just can't stand dumb football. Even the Giants are able to get the ball to Barkley more creatively and the fork sticking out of Eli Manning's back is the size of Staten Island.
I don’t disagree. But it’s still wasted money no matter how you look at it.

Mojouw
10-16-2018, 06:44 PM
I don’t disagree. But it’s still wasted money no matter how you look at it.

You're right. It is wasted money to pay for a sports car and then had the keys to a pack of gibbering idiots.

David Johnson on the same contract on a team with a moderately competent coaching staff would be a devastating offensive weapon.

86WARD
10-16-2018, 08:27 PM
You're right. It is wasted money to pay for a sports car and then had the keys to a pack of gibbering idiots.

David Johnson on the same contract on a team with a moderately competent coaching staff would be a devastating offensive weapon.

Even Legendary Larry Fitzgerald is a waste on that team...

DesertSteel
10-16-2018, 10:36 PM
Even Legendary Larry Fitzgerald is a waste on that team...
Tell me about it... I live in Arizona and they are painful to watch!

polamalubeast
10-17-2018, 06:50 AM

The loss of Bruce Arians for the Cardinals is huge.The Cardinals have overrachieve under him in each of his 5 seasons.

Bell has never been in a horrible situation as Gurley was in 2016 and that Johnson is right now.Haley was far from perfect, especially for his playcalling, but I never had a problem with his system.

polamalubeast
10-17-2018, 06:57 AM

I agree

The falcons are another team that survives offensively without their star RB.

Born2Steel
10-17-2018, 07:23 AM
It's never a bad thing to bet on yourself. It does take guts and courage to put yourself out there. In Bell's case however, he was apparently getting very bad advice and thought the risk was much less than it is. Yes he did this to himself. Completely. But he trusted the wrong guy/people.

steelreserve
10-17-2018, 07:38 AM
It's never a bad thing to bet on yourself. It does take guts and courage to put yourself out there. In Bell's case however, he was apparently getting very bad advice and thought the risk was much less than it is. Yes he did this to himself. Completely. But he trusted the wrong guy/people.

I've never heard of "betting on yourself" by sitting out and not playing.

Betting on himself would've been taking the $70 million contract and betting that even though it wasn't all "guaranteed," he could still make most of the money guaranteed simply by not failing a drug test right away. Apparently he didn't have any faith in himself that he could do that.

86WARD
10-17-2018, 08:39 AM
I agree

Tevin Coleman is no slouch.

AtlantaDan
10-17-2018, 09:05 AM

I do not buy blame the agent here - IMO Bell decided on his own to get into a dick measuring contest with the Steelers over being tagged again

polamalubeast
10-17-2018, 09:56 AM

Born2Steel
10-17-2018, 06:17 PM
I do not buy blame the agent here - IMO Bell decided on his own to get into a dick measuring contest with the Steelers over being tagged again

I have no idea from where the advice came. Bell didn't just decide on his own that he was worth $17m/year with a $30M guarantee without somebody telling him he was right. He may have thought about sitting out and not signing but someone agreed that was his best course. I have been in zero meetings with Bell but I would bet big that somebody is telling him he is still right today. If the team were telling Bell this is your offer, what we think your services are worth. AND his agent/advisor/whomever is telling him it's in his best interest to sign the deal, I firmly believe that deal would have been signed. The reason these guys have agents is because they don't have a great understanding of the business of football. That's the entire reason they pay those guys. SOMEBODY told Bell it was a good idea to decline the offer and sit out. Or at least agreed with him that it was a good idea. Was that his agent? I don't know. His best friend? I don't know. Maybe it was his mom. I have no idea, but I bet you somebody is.

ALLD
10-17-2018, 06:28 PM

We already know Bell is dumb, but if he is fragile too, his holdout concerns are not helping his case prima facia. It's a bunch of nonsense trying to shake down the Steelers. The team offered him big money and would have paid him to play football, not head games. As stated in my other posts, Bell has talent, but he is also a product of the system. He is no Walter Payton or Earl Campbell for sure. Didn't he watch Mike Wallace make the same dumb move?

43Hitman
10-17-2018, 07:19 PM
I have no idea from where the advice came. Bell didn't just decide on his own that he was worth $17m/year with a $30M guarantee without somebody telling him he was right. He may have thought about sitting out and not signing but someone agreed that was his best course. I have been in zero meetings with Bell but I would bet big that somebody is telling him he is still right today. If the team were telling Bell this is your offer, what we think your services are worth. AND his agent/advisor/whomever is telling him it's in his best interest to sign the deal, I firmly believe that deal would have been signed. The reason these guys have agents is because they don't have a great understanding of the business of football. That's the entire reason they pay those guys. SOMEBODY told Bell it was a good idea to decline the offer and sit out. Or at least agreed with him that it was a good idea. Was that his agent? I don't know. His best friend? I don't know. Maybe it was his mom. I have no idea, but I bet you somebody is.

I'm pretty certain that his mother and his agent both told him to sign last years offer, and he still declined. I'm not going to make excuses for him, he is a grown man capable of making his own decisions.

steelreserve
10-17-2018, 08:31 PM

Honestly. I don't think Bell had a specific number in mind. If he was offered $17 million then the number in his head would be $18 million. If the offer was $18 million his self-valuation would be $20 million. He just wanted to change teams for non-financial reasons and wouldn't have re-signed at any price. The money drama was just his piss-poor excuse which he dragged out for 2 years. The current holdout is an attempt to get released or possibly traded to the team of his choice. And of course he thrives on drama, and it has created plenty of THAT.

pczach
10-17-2018, 09:10 PM
Honestly. I don't think Bell had a specific number in mind. If he was offered $17 million then the number in his head would be $18 million. If the offer was $18 million his self-valuation would be $20 million. He just wanted to change teams for non-financial reasons and wouldn't have re-signed at any price. The money drama was just his piss-poor excuse which he dragged out for 2 years. The current holdout is an attempt to get released or possibly traded to the team of his choice. And of course he thrives on drama, and it has created plenty of THAT.

It really is hard to argue with that. It does appear that he wants out no matter what.

teegre
10-18-2018, 07:17 AM
Maybe Bell was waiting until after the Steelers played Burfict.

(I really can’t blame Bell for that.)

Born2Steel
10-18-2018, 07:40 AM
OK, so you guys believe Bell is just hanging out, sitting in his own cloud. All the people around him are telling him he's wrong and needs to sign the tender or the deal offered. But Bell just plain refuses to because he likes the drama? Or for some reason Bell has decided he hates it in Pittsburgh so much he's willing to lose out on millions just to be traded to another team? This makes more sense than he's being advised to do what he's doing? Alright then.

DesertSteel
10-18-2018, 08:58 AM
OK, so you guys believe Bell is just hanging out, sitting in his own cloud. All the people around him are telling him he's wrong and needs to sign the tender or the deal offered. But Bell just plain refuses to because he likes the drama? Or for some reason Bell has decided he hates it in Pittsburgh so much he's willing to lose out on millions just to be traded to another team? This makes more sense than he's being advised to do what he's doing? Alright then.
I'm sure there are some good reasons to pass up $14M... I just can't think of one.

AtlantaDan
10-18-2018, 09:19 AM
This makes more sense than he's being advised to do what he's doing? Alright then.

His agent apparently recommended Bell accept the 2017 offer by the Steelers and he rejected that recommendation - if he rejected the agent's advice then why stop now?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/08/18/LeVeon-Bell-contract-agreement-rejection-agent-five-years-12-million-franchise-tag-post-gazette-exclusive/stories/201708180164

Of course maybe this agent is recommending that Bell do what no other player who has been franchise tagged has ever done and Bell simply is doing what he has been told to do - those players had agents and risks of career ending injuries too

More likely it is that clients call the shots, not their representatives, and that Bell turned the second franchise tag into a test of his manhood

"This second year on the tag, everybody thought I would do what I did on the first tag and assumed a certain thing and it offended a lot of people," Bell said. "That's not my fault you literally thought I'd do the same thing. Everybody thinks I'm bluffing. That's not the person I am. I've always been a stubborn kid. When I have my mind set, that's what I'm going to do."

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/28863/leveon-speaks-expectations-message-to-teammates-trade-talk

Born2Steel
10-18-2018, 12:01 PM
His agent apparently recommended Bell accept the 2017 offer by the Steelers and he rejected that recommendation - if he rejected the agent's advice then why stop now?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/08/18/LeVeon-Bell-contract-agreement-rejection-agent-five-years-12-million-franchise-tag-post-gazette-exclusive/stories/201708180164

Of course maybe this agent is recommending that Bell do what no other player who has been franchise tagged has ever done and Bell simply is doing what he has been told to do - those players had agents and risks of career ending injuries too

More likely it is that clients call the shots, not their representatives, and that Bell turned the second franchise tag into a test of his manhood

"This second year on the tag, everybody thought I would do what I did on the first tag and assumed a certain thing and it offended a lot of people," Bell said. "That's not my fault you literally thought I'd do the same thing. Everybody thinks I'm bluffing. That's not the person I am. I've always been a stubborn kid. When I have my mind set, that's what I'm going to do."

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/28863/leveon-speaks-expectations-message-to-teammates-trade-talk

How many quotes though? How many different things have been posted on this forum alone? I believe NOTHING I read about players. NOTHING! It's all been bs up to now, why should we believe anything we read about it? One guy says Bell wants X, another says no Bell wants XY, still another says Bell wants XY+1. I quit. I shouldn't even comment from the start.

43Hitman
10-18-2018, 12:13 PM
How many quotes though? How many different things have been posted on this forum alone? I believe NOTHING I read about players. NOTHING! It's all been bs up to now, why should we believe anything we read about it? One guy says Bell wants X, another says no Bell wants XY, still another says Bell wants XY+1. I quit. I shouldn't even comment from the start.

I wouldn't say that. Isn't that what these forums are about, proposing ideas/theories and hashing them out? We're not always going to be right, or even close sometimes. I don't take any opinions that I have that have been debunked or refuted personally. I look at those differing opinions as a chance to see it in a different way.

Born2Steel
10-18-2018, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't say that. Isn't that what these forums are about, proposing ideas/theories and hashing them out? We're not always going to be right, or even close sometimes. I don't take any opinions that I have that have been debunked or refuted personally. I look at those differing opinions as a chance to see it in a different way.

No man, I'm talking about constant misinformation. BUT, 'since this quote/article backs what I think it must be more accurate'. It has seriously become very difficult to have rational, logical conversations on here. I'm not trying to debate anything, but that's what every post seems to become. And the process is severely redundant. It's not always about opinion. You do have to use some measure of logic and common sense. Not just keep with 'look what this reporter had to say on it'. None of them are in conversation with Bell!

Mojouw
10-18-2018, 12:38 PM
No man, I'm talking about constant misinformation. BUT, 'since this quote/article backs what I think it must be more accurate'. It has seriously become very difficult to have rational, logical conversations on here. I'm not trying to debate anything, but that's what every post seems to become. And the process is severely redundant. It's not always about opinion. You do have to use some measure of logic and common sense. Not just keep with 'look what this reporter had to say on it'. None of them are in conversation with Bell!

I think I get where you are coming from and am quite often guilty of what you are speaking against myself.

Specifically to the Bell situation, I feel that people have split into two camps. These camps are broadly divided along the question of whether or not Bell is behaving under a set of rationale decision making parameters or not. Once you make that evaluation you can go out into the morass of stuff that is the Internet and drag back whatever you want to support that decision.

I do think that we all should be far more cautious about how we use information from Twitter. It has consistently proven to be unreliable, overly simplistic, sourced from people that have no clue what they are even talking about, and on and on. But now I simply sound like the pretentious, grumpy, old Luddite I am fast becoming!

steelreserve
10-18-2018, 01:43 PM

Well yeah, nobody who can do even basic math or has any common sense would advise him to do what he's doing, so I would tend to think that's the least likely possibility.

It's probably more than just "Bell hates Pittsburgh," and the real reason is a run-on sentence more like:

"Bell has come to think of himself as a larger-than-life character, more specifically a larger-than-life character in the 'urban' mold, who doesn't give a fuck about anything and exudes swagger from every pore, and people hold their breath for his every tweet, and watch his every move at the nightclub like a big star, and in general the image of being a super-cool celebrity has become the most important thing in his life, and being a football player in Pittsburgh is only kind of cool, and being a football player in Miami or New York or L.A. (or Vegas) would be a lot better, but mostly because it would let him focus on the being-cool part, for which football is mainly just the funding source, and by the way, in the meantime focusing on being a super-cool character is a lot of fun, and Bell had a GREAT summer as well as a built-in excuse to not end his summer break until he is damn well good and ready, and being a super-cool character is SO cool that he can't stop, and since being super-cool also involves a ton of partying, not stopping means you're also likely out of shape and unable to pass a piss test, and you're really pushing it as far as you can go because you're so caught up in it, but at some point you have to come back and do the minimum not to fuck it all up so that you can continue the party next year, and that sucks, but in the meantime at least all the drama over money feeds into your larger-than-life image as a cool celebrity with a lot of swagger who just doesn't give a fuck."

Since we haven't heard a peep from Bell in 2-3 weeks now, my guess is that he recently figured out that the time to put in the minimum effort was now, so he has actually been working out and taking detox supplements for those 2-3 weeks, with his eye on returning when he is in a condition that is not totally embarrassing, then collecting a paycheck for coasting through the last month and a half of the season. He is probably not quite ready yet or he would've reported and collected a check for the bye week (I mean, come on, $1 million for doing nothing), and all the stuff about him working out on his own and being in great shape was bullshit; he just started that now, which is why you don't see so many tweets about cool celebrity-swagger shit, because you don't have as much time for that if you're working out 6-8 hours a day, but he would still embarrass himself if he showed up right now. So I would imagine we will actually see him in a couple more weeks.

So no, I don't think it has anything to do with any advice anyone is giving him, it has to do with having such an inflated picture of yourself that it works to your own detriment.

edit: Also, I would not be very eager to sign a guy whose priorities appear to include playing football mostly as a means to an end, not because he likes the game, not because he is driven to win, and not even because he enjoys that he is good at it and wants to make his own mark as one of the all-time greats in a selfish way. This is the type of guy who seems more likely than most to become a minimum-effort paycheck collector who you should just stay away from.

So no, I would not shed a tear if we just let him go right now with no compensation other than the future cap space. It's a lost cause for us, and possibly for whoever else wants to take that risk. Not me.

fansince'76
10-18-2018, 02:06 PM
Since we haven't heard a peep from Bell in 2-3 weeks now, my guess is that he recently figured out that the time to put in the minimum effort was now, so he has actually been working out and taking detox supplements for those 2-3 weeks, with his eye on returning when he is in a condition that is not totally embarrassing, then collecting a paycheck for coasting through the last month and a half of the season.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71BgKSMjdHL._SY606_.jpghttps://images.lowes.ca/img/p400/16819/817206011583_ca.jpg

:chuckle:

st33lersguy
10-18-2018, 02:11 PM
Conner showed what Le'Veon's real value was, as did DeAngelo back in 2015. When you have a top tier OL, a future HOF QB, and the best WR in the NFL, it makes being a RB easier

ALLD
10-18-2018, 04:13 PM
IF Bell wants out it would be easy to come to an agreement by negotiating in good faith. Not showing and not playing is not good for negotiating.

GoSlash27
10-18-2018, 05:45 PM
IF Bell wants out it would be easy to come to an agreement by negotiating in good faith. Not showing and not playing is not good for negotiating.

Counterpoint: The Steelers under Tomlin have an established policy regarding RBs. "Run him until the wheels fall off". Not sayin' I condone how he's handled this. Not even sayin that I want him back on the team, especially at his asking price.

But I do get where he's coming from.

Best,
-Slashy

AtlantaDan
10-18-2018, 06:00 PM

Sorry you took exception to my responding to your post in a manner you regard to have been lacking in logic and common sense.

I gave you the quote from Bell and the link to the Bouchette article to support my conclusion rather than just give my unsubstantiated opinion that Bell holding out is his idea rather than him being led around like a child by his agent. The Bell quotes came from someone in conversation with Bell .

The agent and Bell have not denied the accuracy of the quotes, in which Bell says he is stubborn and wants everyone to know he is not bluffing. That sounds to me like someone who is making his own decisions but maybe not.

I cited the Bouchette article that the Steelers negotiated a deal with the agent in 2017 and Bell rejected it because it indicates Bell previously has not follow his agent’s advice. I also linked to it because I believe Bouchette would not have made it up without having credible sources, unlike stories you can get from some rando with an internet connection.

Citing support for an opinion rather than just giving an opinion seems to me to be more rational and logical than just tossing off suppositions, but maybe not. :noidea:

:drink:

GBMelBlount
10-18-2018, 06:08 PM
Conner showed what Le'Veon's real value was, as did DeAngelo back in 2015.

When you have a top tier OL, a future HOF QB, and the best WR in the NFL, it makes being a RB easier

QFT.

It all comes down to this imo.

teegre
10-19-2018, 06:55 AM

After high school, a buddy of mine traveled the country, touring with The Dead. He had this brilliant plan to sell grilled cheese sandwiches to pay for the cost of touring. His brilliant idea was to sell the grilled cheese sandwiches for 25¢... because, everyone else was selling them for 50¢.

It worked. He sold out his stock at every show.

But... as we explained to him, the cost for him to make each sandwich was 32¢.

“Yea, but I get 25¢ for every sandwich. If I sell four, I’ve made a dollar, man.”

“No, it is actually costing you 7 cents per sandwich...”

“Okay... right, bro... so 25 minus 7 leaves me with 18 cents for every sandwich, man.”

I explained “net vs. gross” to him... to no avail. Several others tried using logic... to no avail. His sister tried; his mother & father tried; his grandparents tried... but, in the end, he was broke (and had to come back off of his tour earlier than he had planned).

SUMMATION:
Bell has been selling grilled cheese sandwiches... and, no matter what anyone else says, he’s going to continue (man).

Born2Steel
10-19-2018, 07:54 AM
After high school, a buddy of mine traveled the country, touring with The Dead. He had this brilliant plan to sell grilled cheese sandwiches to pay for the cost of touring. His brilliant idea was to sell the grilled cheese sandwiches for 25¢... because, everyone else was selling them for 50¢.

“Yea, but I get 25¢ for every sandwich. If I sell four, I’ve made a dollar, man.”

“Okay... right, bro... so 25 minus 7 leaves me with 18 cents for every sandwich, man.”

I explained “net vs. gross” to him... to no avail. Several others tried using logic... to no avail. His sister tried; his mother & father tried; his grandparents tried... but, in the end, he was broke (and had to come back off of his tour earlier than he had planned).

SUMMATION:
Bell has been selling grilled cheese sandwiches... and, no matter what anyone else says, he’s going to continue (man).

See here is the difference between this story and what I am 'trying to say'.

You talked to your friend. He told you his plan. His 'people' tried to explain to him his mistake. You were there. We have bloggers, "newspaper guys", talk show hosts, etc, all saying they have no idea what is going on and nobody has spoken with Bell nor has there been any communication with the Steelers. Yet on this forum we get the first rate knowledge about how much pot he's smoking, how in/out of shape he is, inside info on how all these 'talks' went down, his motives behind the moves, etc, etc, etc. Go back to my original post in this line and you will see that I only said that I believe Bell has simply been given bad advice. It's not a bad thing that he bet on himself, it's he didn't fully understand the situation. Why? Yes, sometimes people are just dumbasses. I think there was more to this story than Bell is just a dumbass. What, we may never know. But we sure can speculate and trust the internet in the mean time. Does anyone really believe his agent is going to take credit for this now that it's looking as bad as it is? "OH NO! But I told him to accept the deal." Where has this little quote been for the past 2 seasons? Back peddle much?

DesertSteel
10-19-2018, 01:23 PM

SUMMATION:
The bottom line is your friend got to see the Dead all summer and you didn't. :chuckle:

pczach
10-19-2018, 01:28 PM
The bottom line is your friend got to see the Dead all summer and you didn't. :chuckle:

Now there's a man with perspective! :rockon:

Lady Steel
10-19-2018, 11:12 PM
I don't need all the :blah::blah::blah:.

Le'Veon isn't back yet. Okey dokey.

Carry on, James Conner. :cheer2:

st33lersguy
10-20-2018, 10:01 AM

SUMMATION:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhXz60f0HLU

pczach
10-20-2018, 12:28 PM

SUMMATION:

It's always sad when you're talking to someone you care about, and they don't know what they don't know.....

ALLD
10-20-2018, 01:44 PM
All I know is true professional athletes never turned down touching the ball as often as possible unless they were injured. If Bell is using the excuse that he would get too many touches, he sounds chicken hearted.

polamalubeast
10-25-2018, 05:56 PM

tube517
10-26-2018, 08:58 AM
Bell is better at turning a 1 yard loss into a 5 yard gain.

Conner is more explosive for bigger gains.

Bell has never been a breakaway threat.

polamalubeast
10-26-2018, 11:26 AM

DesertSteel
10-26-2018, 11:57 AM
Barkley has an extra game on Conner!

- - - Updated - - -

Bell is better at turning a 1 yard loss into a 5 yard gain.

Is that backed up with a stat?

BnG_Hevn
10-28-2018, 12:41 PM
I agree

Sometimes teams do better without that one superstar b/c then the QB will spread it around and not feel as though he needs to feed it to one guy and end up with INTs.

polamalubeast
10-28-2018, 03:11 PM
One big stats I saw in today's game is that steelers are at 68% in the red zone when Bell is out .... only 51% when he plays.

FrancoLambert
10-28-2018, 03:13 PM
Re: thread topic

IT’S OFFICIAL......HE LOST.

pczach
10-28-2018, 03:24 PM
Re: thread topic

IT’S OFFICIAL......HE LOST.

https://media.giphy.com/media/aC5k0dainGEes/giphy.gif

Rotorhead
10-28-2018, 03:28 PM
I would say after today, Bell probably won’t play another snap for the Steelers, barring injury. Even if he comes back tomorrow, why would the team let him out there at all, JC is killing it.

GoSlash27
10-28-2018, 04:26 PM
I would say after today, Bell probably won’t play another snap for the Steelers, barring injury. Even if he comes back tomorrow, why would the team let him out there at all, JC is killing it.

I think he'll play some more snaps. We won't be able to trade him, and can (probably) get out of paying him for 2 weeks. But after that, he's on the payroll and one of the two best RBs on the team. The Steelers will want to play him and he'll want to generate some highlights for free agency.
It's debatable whether L Bell is a noticeable improvement over Conner, but it's a *certainty* that he's better than Samuels and Ridley.

lipps83
10-28-2018, 05:49 PM
It's debatable whether L Bell is a noticeable improvement over Conner, but it's a *certainty* that he's better than Samuels and Ridley.

Bell thinks he is the best back in the league. He isn't even the best back on his own team.

This happened once before with Wallace and Brown. Worked out well for one but not the other.

polamalubeast
10-28-2018, 05:59 PM
Bell thinks he is the best back in the league. He isn't even the best back on his own team.

This happened once before with Wallace and Brown. Worked out well for one but not the other.

We have to admit that the steelers were lucky that Bell and Wallace refused the offer by the steelers, otherwise Brown might be on a another team and Conner would still be on the bench.

GBMelBlount
10-28-2018, 06:37 PM
One big stats I saw in today's game is that steelers are at 68% in the red zone when Bell is out .... only 51% when he plays.

All stats are equal or better without Bell.

...and this is even before Conner.

Rotorhead
10-28-2018, 07:27 PM

We haven’t seen Samuels enough to say Bell is better. Bell won’t be an improvement until he gets a few games under his belt, so why drop out production for Bells sake?

Mojouw
10-28-2018, 07:35 PM
I was not a believer in Conner prior to the season. I thought his pass protection was beyond terrible. He looked unnatural and stiff running routes. And carrying the ball he looked like any other ten random RBs across the league.

Could not be happier to be extremely wrong.

The thing I am struck by is how different their two styles of play are. At the end of the day, the stats might be broadly similar but how they got there is very different. Too bad that the contract issue could not be resolved, because Bell and Conner would provide a nightmarish contrast for defenders to deal with.

GoSlash27
10-28-2018, 07:41 PM
We haven’t seen Samuels enough to say Bell is better. Bell won’t be an improvement until he gets a few games under his belt, so why drop out production for Bells sake?
Rotorhead,
1) Because we're paying Bell over $800k per game regardless of whether he plays or not. It's in our financial best interest to use what we're paying for.
2) His abilities are a known quantity, and Samuels is a crap- shoot
3) We are one injury away from a failed season.

Basically, we will have a damn good RB and we will be paying that RB "damn good RB" money. We will run him if only to keep our other "damn good RB" healthy for the playoffs.

AtlantaDan
10-28-2018, 08:34 PM
The thing I am struck by is how different their two styles of play are. At the end of the day, the stats might be broadly similar but how they got there is very different. Too bad that the contract issue could not be resolved, because Bell and Conner would provide a nightmarish contrast for defenders to deal with.

And potentially a nightmarish contrast in blocking styles for the OL to handle - not certain swapping them out by series or within a series will not create some problems

Different to block for Bell while he "reinvents" how to run to the hole as he decides where he is going to go (allegedly for reasons including Bell not being particularly devoted to learning the blocking schemes for the plays) and Conner

Mojouw
10-28-2018, 09:02 PM
And potentially a nightmarish contrast in blocking styles for the OL to handle - not certain swapping them out by series or within a series will not create some problems

Different to block for Bell while he "reinvents" how to run to the hole as he decides where he is going to go (allegedly for reasons including Bell not being particularly devoted to learning the blocking schemes for the plays) and Conner

I don’t know.

I’m kinda over this whole let’s criticize Bell because his contract stance stinks. No one had an issue with his running style and playbook work when he was on the field and dominating teams.

I didn’t read the most recent tweets or whatever by Bell and his agent for two reasons. One Twitter is a cesspool of stupid. And Two, it isn’t news. Bell and his agent have made no secret of this viewpoint. The agent started his business to address this specific issue. It’s been out there for at least a year in regards to a Bell and many years for the agent in general.

The bottom line is that between the lines on Sundays a healthy and motivated Leveon Bell is an incredibly useful offensive weapon that would make any team in the league better.

The attempt to deny that is an increasingly silly narrative. If Bell shows up in shape and ready to work, the team would be wise to find him about 10 touches a game. As much as I like Switzer, Bell would be more dangerous in that role in the passing game.

Dissolv
10-28-2018, 09:10 PM
The bottom line is that between the lines on Sundays a healthy and motivated Leveon Bell is an incredibly useful offensive weapon that would make any team in the league better.

I love Bell as a player, but there are a lot of stats showing me that Conner might be just as good, if not better. Why? I don't know. But he isn't certain to come back healthy (in shape in this case), motivated, or even as the best RB on the team if he is. :scratchchin:

Mojouw
10-28-2018, 09:16 PM
I love Bell as a player, but there are a lot of stats showing me that Conner might be just as good, if not better. Why? I don't know. But he isn't certain to come back healthy (in shape in this case), motivated, or even as the best RB on the team if he is. :scratchchin:

Conner may be better. The team may be better with Conner as the lead back. But the undercurrent of much of the statements about the issue are that Conner + Bell is not blindingly superior to Conner + insert dirtball here.

I’m not comparing the abilities of either player to one another in order to rank them. Simply saying that the last time anyone say Bell on an NFL field he was a darn good player. Arguing that he somehow isn’t that is just sorta weird.

I realize he might not have the value he is asking for. He might be a terrible teammate. He might be lazy and sorta dumb. But the man can play RB really well.

AtlantaDan
10-28-2018, 09:39 PM
I don’t know.

I’m kinda over this whole let’s criticize Bell because his contract stance stinks. No one had an issue with his running style and playbook work when he was on the field and dominating teams.

I didn’t read the most recent tweets or whatever by Bell and his agent for two reasons. One Twitter is a cesspool of stupid. And Two, it isn’t news. Bell and his agent have made no secret of this viewpoint. The agent started his business to address this specific issue. It’s been out there for at least a year in regards to a Bell and many years for the agent in general.

The attempt to deny that is an increasingly silly narrative. If Bell shows up in shape and ready to work, the team would be wise to find him about 10 touches a game. As much as I like Switzer, Bell would be more dangerous in that role in the passing game.

The agent turning Bell into a social welfare warrior was not just a tweetstorm from Bakari but a long article in The Undefeated, ESPN’s website for “the intersection of sports, race and culture” that ran this past week. That they have made no secret of their viewpoint does not change that they are really pushing it now as this has not played out as they expected. They can push whatever they want. If they want to go there good for them - I simply posted I found it ludicrous. I also do not see how it is going to do anything to help Bell’s ultimate goal of having teams clamoring to break the bank for him next season.

I also am not saying Bell is not an excellent running back. I am saying blocking for Bell is different than blocking for other backs and that it might be difficult to turn on a dime and switch styles. As far as not being committed to learning blocking schemes, that was not from writers but alleged sources on the team (my guess is the O-line).

And as far as being motivated when he returns, if Bell has expressed a concern about not getting to his big payday next season in one piece during the off-season, add in all that has gone down since then and Bell being all in when he returns is no guarantee. If it was IMO the Steelers would be delighted to use him this year and take their compensatory pick next year rather than have the owner signing off on a trade if something can be worked out.

Rotorhead
10-28-2018, 09:42 PM
Basically, we will have a damn good RB and we will be paying that RB "damn good RB" money. We will run him if only to keep our other "damn good RB" healthy for the playoffs.

Bell will play like garbage for at least 3 games, why would we put him in at all, who cares what he is getting paid, JC is playing as good as Bell ever has. Putting him in, regardless of what we are paying him, would be a detriment to the teams chances of winning until he gets up to speed.

Mojouw
10-28-2018, 10:02 PM
The agent turning Bell into a social welfare warrior was not just a tweetstorm from Bakari but a long article in The Undefeated, ESPN’s website for “the intersection of sports, race and culture” that ran this past week. That they have made no secret of their viewpoint does not change that they are really pushing it now as this has not played out as they expected. They can push whatever they want. If they want to go there good for them - I simply posted I found it ludicrous. I also do not see how it is going to do anything to help Bell’s ultimate goal of having teams clamoring to break the bank for him next season.

I also am not saying Bell is not an excellent running back. I am saying blocking for Bell is different than blocking for other backs and that it might be difficult to turn on a dime and switch styles. As far as not being committed to learning blocking schemes, that was not from writers but alleged sources on the team (my guess is the O-line).

And as far as being motivated when he returns, if Bell has expressed a concern about not getting to his big payday next season in one piece during the off-season, add in all that has gone down since then and Bell being all in when he returns is no guarantee. If it was IMO the Steelers would be delighted to use him this year and take their compensatory pick next year rather than have the owner signing off on a trade if something can be worked out.

Don’t feel like typing on my phone. My only point is that when you strip away all the non football noise, Bell is better than either Ridley or Samuels. He is better than Switzer. Potentially a more effective WR than Hunter.

So why wouldn’t anyone be excited to get a weapon like Bell in the field? Of course he doesn’t send Conner to the bench. Of course it all depends on if his butt is in shape.

But the general internet and twitter takes that he couldn’t have a massively positive role in Weeks 12-17 is just getting silly.

Imagine putting Bell out wide. Conner in the backfield. Now use motion to switch the two of them. You’ve just ripped a hole in the defenses plan without even snapping the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotorhead
10-28-2018, 10:51 PM
Moj, while I agree he could be a benefit during weeks 12/13 on, do we risk the drop in production getting him up to speed? Not that it matters, he still isn’t here, at this point we are just typing out of boredom.

Mojouw
10-28-2018, 11:00 PM
Moj, while I agree he could be a benefit during weeks 12/13 on, do we risk the drop in production getting him up to speed? Not that it matters, he still isn’t here, at this point we are just typing out of boredom.

Valid point. I’m making two totally speculative assumptions. The first is that Bell shows up in shape. The second is that he is on the exemption list for two weeks working back into the fold.

To be honest the third is that the drop in production from Ridley and Switzer to a still adjusting Bell is hardly noticeable.

Week 14+ the whole offense is better for it.

Again, an admittedly optimistic view. But if he was coming off IR, how would it be being talked about? Taking away the contract mess and Twitter nonsense, how is this much different? In the imagined IR scenario, Steelers would be salivating to work Bell back into the offense in even a reduced role.

polamalubeast
10-28-2018, 11:30 PM
Don’t feel like typing on my phone. My only point is that when you strip away all the non football noise, Bell is better than either Ridley or Samuels. He is better than Switzer. Potentially a more effective WR than Hunter.

So why wouldn’t anyone be excited to get a weapon like Bell in the field? Of course he doesn’t send Conner to the bench. Of course it all depends on if his butt is in shape.

But the general internet and twitter takes that he couldn’t have a massively positive role in Weeks 12-17 is just getting silly.

Imagine putting Bell out wide. Conner in the backfield. Now use motion to switch the two of them. You’ve just ripped a hole in the defenses plan without even snapping the ball.

Ben said the other time that he don't think that Bell would be so successful if he was only used as a receiver.

The other reason I'm not excited is that I do not expect Bell to be great if he's with us, no way he'll be in football shape in his first few games.I can also say that I do not know if Bell will be well received by his teammates but it will not be the case by the fans in heinz field and it could be a big distraction and a headache for our team if he don't starts very well .

It could be ugly

Butch
10-29-2018, 03:35 AM

Because IMHO I don't trust Bell's commitment to the team. I don't trust him to go all out and play to his potential. Instead I fear he may cost this team if he is allowed to play either with a fake injury or a timely turnover.

stillers4me
10-29-2018, 05:41 AM

86WARD
10-29-2018, 05:44 AM
Rotorhead,
1) Because we're paying Bell over $800k per game regardless of whether he plays or not. It's in our financial best interest to use what we're paying for.
2) His abilities are a known quantity, and Samuels is a crap- shoot
3) We are one injury away from a failed season.

This. If Bell reports, signs his tender and is in football shape, it’s not a bad thing to have Bell on the roster.

polamalubeast
10-29-2018, 05:47 AM
This. If Bell reports, signs his tender and is in football shape, it’s not a bad thing to have Bell on the roster.

It could be a bad thing if Bell does not have the right attitude and that his focus is not on football....

polamalubeast
10-29-2018, 09:28 AM

86WARD
10-29-2018, 09:31 AM
It could be a bad thing if Bell does not have the right attitude and that his focus is not on football....

That’s only going to hurt his value for his next employer and they’ll be able to figure that out relatively quickly.

GoSlash27
10-29-2018, 10:11 AM

L Bell has never had the right attitude or his focus on football in the past, but it's never stopped him from playing lights-out. He's the same guy he's always been.

polamalubeast
10-29-2018, 10:15 AM
L Bell has never had the right attitude or his focus on football in the past, but it's never stopped him from playing lights-out. He's the same guy he's always been.

But it could be worse, especially since Bell will not be well received in heinz field if he plays another game with us.

It could be a big distraction for the team if Bell does not play well in his first few games because he is not in football shape.

Shoes
10-29-2018, 10:27 AM

I’d trade Bell in a NY minute if it worked out but do agree with you. Lots of folks were talking about dumping Bryant last season and not many expected AB to get injured. Well he did and Bryant filled in pretty well from what I remember. I think we have a similar scene playing out here. Conner gets injured without Bell, the run game is over, if we have Bell it can still work.

Fire Goodell
10-29-2018, 12:32 PM
It's a good thing that Conner's backup will be healthy late into this season.

Bell shot himself in the foot, Conner is having production that is better than Le'Veon's best seasons. One more TD and he's in double digit rushing TD's which is something Bell never did. Also coming close to 5 yards a carry and leading the league in broken / missed tackles. The guy is for real.

I've been saying Conner reminds me of Priest Holmes. Just a really hard to bring down north/south runner that nobody wants to tackle, but can also make you miss and fast enough to hit the outside or cutbacks. Good receiver out of the backfield as well, and deceptively good in the open field.

I really think at this point he didn't prove Bell was overrated, but he proved that he's actually better than Bell right now. Hoping this kid has years of solid production AND gets paid by the Steelers when it's his time for a new contract.

polamalubeast
10-30-2018, 07:57 AM

86WARD
10-30-2018, 08:23 AM
Do we really need to see “Steelers w/Bell bs Steelers w/o Bell” or “Bell vs Conner” stats? Lol

polamalubeast
10-31-2018, 09:39 AM

lipps83
10-31-2018, 09:53 AM

But...but... Bell is worth 20mil a year tho....

polamalubeast
10-31-2018, 09:54 AM
But...but... Bell is worth 20mil a year tho....

with a salary of a number 2 receiver!

AtlantaDan
10-31-2018, 09:59 AM
ESPN includes Bell in the list of trade deadline winners since not getting traded apparently is worth missing the paychecks you could have received prior to the trade deadline and "setting the NFL's team/player control dynamic on its ear" :noidea:

NFL trade deadline winners, losers

WINNERS

Le'Veon Bell (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15825/leveon-bell)
Bell continues to exercise all of his leverage. He told our Jeremy Fowler a couple of weeks ago that he didn't want to be traded. He had control over that. By not signing his franchise tender before the trade deadline, he rendered the Steelers unable to trade him. I don't know if he comes back this week, next week, or on Nov. 13 -- the last day he can report and still be eligible to play this season (i.e., the day his leverage runs out). But if one of Bell's goals was to set the NFL's team/player control dynamic on its ear, he seems just about fully committed to it.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25128151/2018-nfl-trade-deadline-winners-losers

polamalubeast
10-31-2018, 10:15 AM
Le’Veon Bell gambled… and lost

A month ago, I sat at my computer and I wrote all the reasons why Le'Veon Bell was needed by the Pittsburgh Steelers. I stated he had won the standoff and had proven his point. The Steelers, at the time, sat 1-2-1 and had a few dismal rushing performances by James Conner and the offense.

To me, it seemed, Bell was the missing link to get this team straightened out. Now, it seems to me, Bell missed his window of opportunity. He should have returned when Conner was struggling because it's over for him in Pittsburgh now. Conner is the man now. He's doing everything Bell does, perhaps better in some phases of the game (getting into the end zone).

So what should the Steelers do when Bell returns? They shouldn't play him. I wouldn't cut him, don't let him walk for free to the Patriots or some other contender this year but I'd deactivate him. I wouldn't let him near the team.

At this juncture, with the team on a roll, heading into Baltimore and then into the second half of the season; whenever Bell shows up, he'll be nothing but a distraction, a locker room menace and an unwelcome source of drama. His time in the Burgh' is done.

Don't get me wrong, he was one heck of a player, and still is. His skill set could absolutely help this team on the field but he's just not worth the headache he brings along with the talent anymore.

James Conner has done everything right. He's run the ball, he's caught the ball, he's put the ball in the end zone nine times in seven games and he's blocked as well as anyone could ask for. He makes peanuts compared to Bell and he's performing at the same level as Bell, minus the drama.

There is no reason for Bell to be here anymore, other than to keep him away from a contender. The Steelers haven't missed him this season, specifically during this three-game win streak. The locker room is certainly sick of answering all the questions about him while he's away, imagine how annoyed they'll be with the questions when he comes back.

Sure, he'll publicly be welcomed by the players and coaches, what else are they supposed to do or say?

read more

https://www.steelcityunderground.com/2018/10/31/leveon-bell-gambled-and-lost/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

bendsteel
10-31-2018, 12:33 PM
Great read!

86WARD
10-31-2018, 12:57 PM
ESPN includes Bell in the list of trade deadline winners since not getting traded apparently is worth missing the paychecks you could have received prior to the trade deadline and "setting the NFL's team/player control dynamic on its ear" :noidea:

NFL trade deadline winners, losers

WINNERS

Le'Veon Bell (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15825/leveon-bell)
Bell continues to exercise all of his leverage. He told our Jeremy Fowler a couple of weeks ago that he didn't want to be traded. He had control over that. By not signing his franchise tender before the trade deadline, he rendered the Steelers unable to trade him. I don't know if he comes back this week, next week, or on Nov. 13 -- the last day he can report and still be eligible to play this season (i.e., the day his leverage runs out). But if one of Bell's goals was to set the NFL's team/player control dynamic on its ear, he seems just about fully committed to it.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25128151/2018-nfl-trade-deadline-winners-losers

What leverage?

86WARD
10-31-2018, 12:58 PM
If Bell doesn’t report, does any of that money carry over to next season?

AtlantaDan
10-31-2018, 01:04 PM
If Bell doesn’t report, does any of that money carry over to next season?

Apparently whatever payments he does not receive are added to the $$$ available under the 2019 cap

The Steelers would get $14.544 million of cap relief this year. The unused cap space could carry over to the 2019 league year.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-answers-to-the-eight-leveon-bell-questions-that-everyones-been-asking/

86WARD
10-31-2018, 03:37 PM
Apparently whatever payments he does not receive are added to the $$$ available under the 2019 cap

The Steelers would get $14.544 million of cap relief this year. The unused cap space could carry over to the 2019 league year.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-answers-to-the-eight-leveon-bell-questions-that-everyones-been-asking/

That’s a nice relief number...lol

Fire Goodell
10-31-2018, 05:00 PM
Honestly I don't think a lot of reporters out there are giving Conner enough credit. He was a 3rd round pick, which means that the team thought of him as an eventual starter. If not for his history with cancer, he probably would have been a first round pick. Conner is talented without a doubt, but reporters are making like he's some average joe they just plugged in.

Go back to the Redman / Dwyer days and that's what you get when you have no talent at RB. Sure, the OL is the most important piece, but the RB has to do his job too. And Conner does it well. He leads the league in broken / missed tackles so he's winning those 1on1 matchups.

polamalubeast
10-31-2018, 06:31 PM
Honestly I don't think a lot of reporters out there are giving Conner enough credit. He was a 3rd round pick, which means that the team thought of him as an eventual starter. If not for his history with cancer, he probably would have been a first round pick. Conner is talented without a doubt, but reporters are making like he's some average joe they just plugged in.

Go back to the Redman / Dwyer days and that's what you get when you have no talent at RB. Sure, the OL is the most important piece, but the RB has to do his job too. And Conner does it well. He leads the league in broken / missed tackles so he's winning those 1on1 matchups.

No doubt

If the season was over today Conner would be the Steelers MVP for the 2018 season.

Craic
10-31-2018, 06:34 PM

inb4 (and with) suddeness and glide.

polamalubeast
11-01-2018, 03:16 PM
Bell and his agent will not be happy on this comment....

Mojouw
11-01-2018, 03:24 PM
Bell and his agent will not be happy on this comment....

I love this quote so much. I wish this guy was on the Steelers staff.

86WARD
11-01-2018, 03:46 PM
The guys name is Wink Martindale?!?

vader29
11-01-2018, 04:06 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/d8/ca/04/d8ca0482d02b6d5b4b8154193f461446--game-shows-tic-tac.jpg

Mojouw
11-01-2018, 04:10 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/d8/ca/04/d8ca0482d02b6d5b4b8154193f461446--game-shows-tic-tac.jpg

I'll take Door #2, Wink. What did I win?

A weakside blitz!

ALLD
11-01-2018, 04:13 PM
No matter where Bell lands he still lost $12 million because of his attitude. I bet he is high right now.

steelreserve
11-01-2018, 04:40 PM
No matter where Bell lands he still lost $12 million because of his attitude. I bet he is high right now.

Maybe more than $12 million! Besides the dollars actually lost from sitting out, check the offer he gets next year against the 5 years, $70 million he was already offered. If he gets less than $70 million over FOUR years, he's lost money. I would be willing to bet any amount of my own money that will be the case.

See how hard it is to make up money in future contracts? Even if you DON'T sabotage yourself on purpose?

Fire Goodell
11-01-2018, 04:53 PM
Le'Veon Bell is gonna be the next post 2003 Ricky Williams, bank on it.

The team is better without him! James Conner is a consumate pro, and his teammates are feeding off his attitude imo. Dude just comes in, runs hard, and gets it done. Judging by the comments by the o-line and Ben, I'm not even sure if the team wants him back. AB was the only guy who seemed to not say anything negative about him, but it was a neutral stance probably in the name of diplomacy.

I love how the team is starting to carve a new identity for themselves, and it's one that punishes defenses. Conner and McDonald seem to be the pace setters, defenses look like they want nothing to do with tackling them.

pczach
11-01-2018, 05:03 PM
Le'Veon Bell is gonna be the next post 2003 Ricky Williams, bank on it.

The team is better without him! James Conner is a consumate pro, and his teammates are feeding off his attitude imo. Dude just comes in, runs hard, and gets it done. Judging by the comments by the o-line and Ben, I'm not even sure if the team wants him back. AB was the only guy who seemed to not say anything negative about him, but it was a neutral stance probably in the name of diplomacy.

I love how the team is starting to carve a new identity for themselves, and it's one that punishes defenses. Conner and McDonald seem to be the pace setters, defenses look like they want nothing to do with tackling them.

There's an additional bonus to physical offensive play. It tends to toughen the defense that practices and competes against them every day.

Getting stronger and more physical is still a very good thing....even in today's NFL.

AtlantaDan
11-01-2018, 05:30 PM
There's an additional bonus to physical offensive play. It tends to toughen the defense that practices and competes against them every day.

Agreed

But perhaps for only the 14 days practices in pads can be held during the regular season

Regular season/postseason rules

Limit of 14 padded practices during the regular season, 11 of which must be held during the first 11 weeks (club may hold two padded practices during only one week) with remaining three during the final six weeks.

One padded practice per week in postseason.

Padded practices limited to three hours plus a walk-through with position coaches not to exceed 30 minutes.

Bye weeks – four consecutive days off

https://www.ajc.com/sports/football/look-nfl-new-practice-rules/ZLKiNsjADuSDy8uHzsvYoN/

I am not for going back to the days of death march practices with no water breaks, but when you practice in pads less no surprise the result shows up in the quality of the play, as it does when starters not playing in preseason makes September games have preseason quality at regular season prices

pczach
11-01-2018, 05:51 PM
Agreed

But perhaps for only the 14 days practices in pads can be held during the regular season

Regular season/postseason rules

Limit of 14 padded practices during the regular season, 11 of which must be held during the first 11 weeks (club may hold two padded practices during only one week) with remaining three during the final six weeks.

One padded practice per week in postseason.

Padded practices limited to three hours plus a walk-through with position coaches not to exceed 30 minutes.

Bye weeks – four consecutive days off

https://www.ajc.com/sports/football/look-nfl-new-practice-rules/ZLKiNsjADuSDy8uHzsvYoN/

I am not for going back to the days of death march practices with no water breaks, but when you practice in pads less no surprise the result shows up in the quality of the play, as it does when starters not playing in preseason makes September games have preseason quality at regular season prices

The limited practice time in not optimal, but at least everyone is in the same boat.

I believe the majority of the makeup of the team and the demeanor they play with is determined during training camp. There are things they can work on, and improve upon....including aggressiveness and physicality....which breeds confidence.

I know that practices are limited, but everything needs to be maximized during those padded practices to be productive. Many aspects of the game can still be worked on, and the fundamentals are instilled in the minds of the players. After that, things can be tweaked with drills and one-on-one coaching sessions. The groundwork has already been done.

Any mental reps, teaching technique, or work on how to approach the game is coached during the year to reinforce what they have been taught and have practiced. I believe Munchak is an OL Whisperer in this regard.

polamalubeast
11-05-2018, 07:53 AM

86WARD
11-05-2018, 04:18 PM
That Kay Adams is delicious.

polamalubeast
11-06-2018, 10:40 AM
Le'Veon Bell's Holdout Has Become a Historic Disaster...for Le'Veon Bell

Le'Veon Bell must have been hoping he would have an Emmitt Smith-style holdout.

Smith held out of Cowboys training camp for a new contract after winning his second straight rushing title and the first of three Super Bowl rings in January 1993. The Cowboys played hardball and tried to replace the future Hall of Famer and all-time rushing leader with a fourth-round rookie named Derrick Lassic. They even force-fed Lassic the ball when Smith skipped the first two games of the regular season, as if to prove a point.

The Cowboys proved a point, all right. They scored a total of 26 points in back-to-back losses. Charles Haley blew his stack in the locker room after the second loss, shouting, "We're never gonna win with this f--king rookie!"

Jerry Jones then flew to Atlanta personally to bring Smith back to the Cowboys and make him the NFL's highest-paid running back for the princely '90s sum of $13.6 million over four years.

"I'm glad you're getting this, Emmitt," Jones said at the post-signing press conference. "Are you happy?"

"Very much," Smith replied.

Maybe if Bell had returned after two weeks, when the Steelers were 0-1-1 and James Conner was coming off a bad game in the Chiefs loss, the story of his 2018 season would be all paychecks and obsequiously purring employers.

But Bell decided to hold out past the point of diminishing returns and common sense.

So instead of a Haley trashing his replacement and pounding the lockers for his return, Bell's teammates have moved on.

"I love playing with Conner," left tackle Alejandro Villanueva said, per Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I don't have anything to say about Le'Veon. I don't even know what shape he is in right now."

Instead of a Jones contritely asking him if he wants an extra pillow to rest his contract-signing hand upon, Bell has Mike Tomlin scoffing at his absence by saying, "We need volunteers, not hostages."

Instead of sympathetic columnists (like me) and talk-show personalities beating our "pay-the-man" tom-toms for him, Bell has been rendered so irrelevant for so many weeks that he is now the butt of Rob Riggle skits.

Instead of a triumph for himself and future franchise-tag objectors, Bell has trapped himself in the most disastrous holdout in NFL history.

read more

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2804597-leveon-bells-holdout-has-become-a-historic-disasterfor-leveon-bell

polamalubeast
11-06-2018, 04:37 PM

DesertSteel
11-06-2018, 05:42 PM
^^^

But it's all because of those text messages that Le'Veon is sending Conner during the game...

lipps83
11-06-2018, 05:49 PM
I might have had a little sympathy with this completely blowing up in Bell's face, but I don't because his primary motivation the entire time all of this time has been absolute greed.

I can't sympathize with that.

I wish the worst financially for him in this (he already has enough never having to work again like the rest of us so it isn't really a life or death loss,just how many Bugatti's he can buy), but I know someone is going to pay him. Not what he thinks he is worth, but he is still going to get paid.

If I had my way, he would get vet minimum.

Fire Goodell
11-06-2018, 06:17 PM
I might have had a little sympathy with this completely blowing up in Bell's face, but I don't because his primary motivation the entire time all of this time has been absolute greed.

I can't sympathize with that.

I wish the worst financially for him in this (he already has enough never having to work again like the rest of us so it isn't really a life or death loss,just how many Bugatti's he can buy), but I know someone is going to pay him. Not what he thinks he is worth, but he is still going to get paid.

If I had my way, he would get vet minimum.

Honestly I don't hate him for wanting to get paid. However he rubs me the wrong way because:
#1- He DID get offered more money than any RB in the league. Prior to the Gurley contract, he would have been the highest paid by a big margin. He turned it down because of not enough guaranteed money? This is where I have a problem with the current generation, you want money for not playing? The NFL is a business, not an entitlement, you play you get paid, if not, you shouldn't get jack. I support the Steeler FO 100%, it's not like they offered him peanuts. If he played he'd be the highest paid, period!

#2- Ok so I could forgive him for #1 if he comes in and proves his worth. But this crime turned his teammates, and possibly his own HC against him. Held out without telling the team his intentions, keeping everyone in the dark. Sorry but this is a total bitch move by Bell, and I have zero respect for that. Holding out, fine. Holding out after telling your teammates you'll be back in September? How can they not feel like they got a knife in the back? The fact he's being quiet this whole time is proving he's an even bigger bitch.

#3- But thanks for holding out, proving that - Bell is an expendable player, JC is carrying the load for 1/16 of the cap hit (of course when it's Conner's turn, I hope he gets paid even more than Bell was offered if he keeps this up), and the FO will have at least 9M more cap money next year to play with. In essence the holdout was a huge W for the Steelers as a team.

polamalubeast
11-06-2018, 06:23 PM
Honestly I don't hate him for wanting to get paid. However he rubs me the wrong way because:
#1- He DID get offered more money than any RB in the league. Prior to the Gurley contract, he would have been the highest paid by a big margin. He turned it down because of not enough guaranteed money? This is where I have a problem with the current generation, you want money for not playing? The NFL is a business, not an entitlement, you play you get paid, if not, you shouldn't get jack. I support the Steeler FO 100%, it's not like they offered him peanuts. If he played he'd be the highest paid, period!

#2- Ok so I could forgive him for #1 if he comes in and proves his worth. But this crime turned his teammates, and possibly his own HC against him. Held out without telling the team his intentions, keeping everyone in the dark. Sorry but this is a total b**** move by Bell, and I have zero respect for that. Holding out, fine. Holding out after telling your teammates you'll be back in September? How can they not feel like they got a knife in the back? The fact he's being quiet this whole time is proving he's an even bigger b*****

The reason why Bell did not tell his teammates that he was not going to be there for at least a good part of the season is that he did not want the steelers to be ready to play without him.Of course, Bell did not think the steelers were going to survive with Conner.

I have zero respect for him for how he has managed this for some time .... Too much drama with him with his suspensions, his contract situation,etc ... I mean, you can not talk about your contract before a playoff game,this is ridiculous ... his focus was not in the right place.

Fire Goodell
11-06-2018, 06:31 PM
Yeah I think he was hoping for a similar situation where Emmitt Smith held out, Cowboys went 0-2 and Charles Haley blew up saying they'd never win with a <bleep> rookie at RB. Jerry Jones went to visit Smith personally and offered him the biggest (at the time) contract for a RB.

Of course, that plan blew up in Bell's face because he waited too long. If he came back after the 0-1-1 start, and we started winning games, he could have increased his stock. However, he held his hand for too long imo.

43Hitman
11-06-2018, 07:02 PM
Jilted lovers. SMH

Dissolv
11-06-2018, 07:43 PM
Bell needs the Steelers more than the Steelers need Bell. He could have walked away with effectively a lottery ticket, or worked for 14 million this year, and then just retired. Actually that's effectively a lottery ticket there too. 28 million for two years tagged, then just retire and keep the body healthy for the rest of your life. Your new career -- money manager.