PDA

View Full Version : RCB anyone???

Born2Steel
10-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Going strictly by defensive stats ONLY. Cam Sutton has 2 passes defensed, 1 INT, and 1 Forced Fumble, and 16 tackles with 1 start. Artie Burns has 1 pass defensed, 0 INTs, 1 Forced Fumble, 1 safety, and 17 tackles with 5 starts. Artie has averaged 13 PDs every year so far. That's the exact number Joe Haden has averaged for his career. Both of these guys were showing promise prior to this season. This could be as much of a safety issue as anything they are doing wrong.

Sensabaugh is the first backup and his numbers are even worse. He has 3 INTs for his 8 year career.

Joe Haden will not do it forever. If we can sign Peterson now I think we have no choice but to try everything to get it done.

Big question is why the drop off in production at RCB this year?

Mojouw
10-15-2018, 12:59 PM
Burns has forgotten any technique he ever had. He makes little errors that it is impossible to overcome against NFL caliber players. Two examples from yesterday are the grab and hold against Erikson. He was in good coverage, but his confidence in his technique is so shot that he felt the need for some extra insurance. The other is backpedaling into the endzone. Just no instinct and technique based awareness of situation. At Miami, I bet he was athletically superior to the opponent to recover from that. In the NFL, not so much.

Sutton's trouble is that he may just be too small. I rewatched some stuff and I have to walk back my criticism of him a bit. He was in good position more than once yesterday, he simply wasn't a big enough person to make the play. Bottom line, Sutton might have DeShea Townsend disease. Good sound CB, but just not big enough to avoid getting picked on. Townsend made up for it by making plays on the ball, something Sutton has yet to do.

Both guys have the tools to play at this level. But both can not seem to "figure it out". Maybe if we can transplant Sutton's head into Burns' body?