PDA

View Full Version : Just Maybe

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-05-2018, 04:07 AM
We need to realize Ben, Eli and Rivers are just average QB's at their age. The new kids in town Mahomes, Goff and etc. are just better and more hungry.

86WARD
10-05-2018, 05:17 AM
Ben is leading the league in passing and Rivers is having a pretty good season himself through the first month of the season. Sure they are getting older but they are far from over the hill...

10-05-2018, 05:40 AM
How's their teams doing ?

10-05-2018, 05:45 AM
Garbage stats when you are behind aren't any better then Dong sacks.

Born2Steel
10-05-2018, 07:50 AM
Just maybe you need to realize Ben is this team's Obi Wan.

10-05-2018, 07:55 AM
Just maybe you need to realize Ben is this team's Obi Wan. Tom Brady must be Darth Vader then and The Hoodie rules all.

Born2Steel
10-05-2018, 08:03 AM
Tom Brady must be Darth Vader then and The Hoodie rules all.

Don't know about the Brady part but "The Hoodie" makes a great Darth Sidious. Everyone thinks he is the genius but in reality he's pure EVIL!

GBMelBlount
10-05-2018, 09:38 AM
LOL. Very entertaining thread.

Ben is a hall of fame QB and yet often starts out a bit flat.

I still think we need a half season to really know what is going on big picture.

86WARD
10-05-2018, 10:13 AM
How's their teams doing ?

I guess you’re right. That Mahomes, Goff, Dalton, Flacco, Tanehill, Mariota are the real stars of the future.

86WARD
10-05-2018, 10:14 AM
Garbage stats when you are behind aren't any better then Dong sacks.

279 first half yards by Ben kinda really isn’t garbage time...lol

Edman
10-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Ben is leading the league in passing and Rivers is having a pretty good season himself through the first month of the season. Sure they are getting older but they are far from over the hill...

The Steelers are 1-2-1 and tied for Last Place in the AFC North, and just got off an asskicking from the Ravens.

Also, Ben's been playing from behind a lot, and has just an above average 8-5 TD/INT.

86WARD
10-05-2018, 05:53 PM
The Steelers are 1-2-1 and tied for Last Place in the AFC North, and just got off an asskicking from the Ravens.

Also, Ben's been playing from behind a lot, and has just an above average 8-5 TD/INT.

Not true. Leading 21-7 versus Browns. Led 30-10 at the half against Tampa. Threw for 279 yards in the first half against Baltimore. KC was a flat out shootout on both sides. Sure you can say they played behind there, but overall, Very little of his yardage came from garbage time or playing behind.

NCSteeler
10-05-2018, 06:14 PM
279 first half yards by Ben kinda really isn’t garbage time...lolThis year Steelers garbage time starts pretty early. Lol

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

86WARD
10-05-2018, 06:17 PM
This year Steelers garbage time starts pretty early. Lol

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Lol. Touché.

vasteeler
10-05-2018, 07:02 PM
Just maybe...this thread needs to die

GBMelBlount
10-05-2018, 07:16 PM
Made my night! :sofunny:

Just maybe...this thread needs to die

cold-hard-steel
10-05-2018, 07:17 PM
Just maybe the "main" thing is the "big" thing.Everyone seems to think that the "big" thing is the "main" thing.Just maybe thats the thing.

teegre
10-05-2018, 07:35 PM
Maybe... Christmas doesn’t come from a store.
Maybe... Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.

Fire Goodell
10-05-2018, 07:44 PM
Ben is rusty so he needs to be showing up to practice. We talkin' bout practice man, not the game, we talkin bout practice

fansince'76
10-06-2018, 07:24 AM
Maybe... Christmas doesn’t come from a store.
Maybe... Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/e8/f0/0c/e8f00caae368038cf35da0d65847f90b--the-grinch-white-christmas.jpg

:chuckle:

pczach
10-06-2018, 07:28 AM
We need to realize Ben, Eli and Rivers are just average QB's at their age. The new kids in town Mahomes, Goff and etc. are just better and more hungry.

You know......maybe.......just maybe...….young quarterbacks are playing in innovative offenses that the league hasn't caught up to yet. Maybe......just maybe.....the rest of the NFL hasn't gotten enough film on these guys yet to take away what they do best, or to identify their weaknesses.

I tend to be patient and wait for young quarterbacks that flash early to see how they are doing in a few years and start to play under duress to evaluate them and claim that they are just better than Hall of Fame quarterbacks that have proven themselves over time and have won multiple Super Bowls.

I get it. When things go wrong, everyone wants to blame the quarterback or maybe say he lost a step. Maybe that has some truth to it, but the game itself evolves and innovations are made. Only over time does true greatness reveal itself.

Remember....Ben, Eli, and Rivers have had to play with a ton of different players. They have had great teams and bad teams around them. They have played against every defense imaginable, and those defenses have been tailored to take away what they do best from defensive gurus watching 15 years of film.....and they still succeed and dominate defenses and games.

I like a lot of these young quarterbacks too, but it's waaaaaay to soon to anoint anyone or have them fitted for their bust in Canton.

These veteran guys can still sling it pretty well and have a little tread left on the tires.

Mojouw
10-06-2018, 11:32 AM
You know......maybe.......just maybe...….young quarterbacks are playing in innovative offenses that the league hasn't caught up to yet. Maybe......just maybe.....the rest of the NFL hasn't gotten enough film on these guys yet to take away what they do best, or to identify their weaknesses.

I tend to be patient and wait for young quarterbacks that flash early to see how they are doing in a few years and start to play under duress to evaluate them and claim that they are just better than Hall of Fame quarterbacks that have proven themselves over time and have won multiple Super Bowls.

I get it. When things go wrong, everyone wants to blame the quarterback or maybe say he lost a step. Maybe that has some truth to it, but the game itself evolves and innovations are made. Only over time does true greatness reveal itself.

Remember....Ben, Eli, and Rivers have had to play with a ton of different players. They have had great teams and bad teams around them. They have played against every defense imaginable, and those defenses have been tailored to take away what they do best from defensive gurus watching 15 years of film.....and they still succeed and dominate defenses and games.

I like a lot of these young quarterbacks too, but it's waaaaaay to soon to anoint anyone or have them fitted for their bust in Canton.

These veteran guys can still sling it pretty well and have a little tread left on the tires.

Nah. The Steelers losing has made me feel bad about myself. That makes me angry. So I'm just going to run with "everyone stinks" and "people need to lose their jobs". It makes me feel more in control of things. Demonstrates that I am sufficiently angry - a key part of being a fan.

I mean it is all about how I feel, right?

In all seriousness, I think we are going to see less and less "bad QB" play across the league. With teams increasingly willing and able to ask college QBs to do what they are good at and NOT have to adapt to the complexities of traditional NFL offenses, there will be more quarterbacks able to put up massive #'s. Interesting to see what happens in a league where finding a starting QB may NOT be the quixotic multi-year journey it has traditionally been.

Honestly, forward the tape a few years. Ben has moved on. If Butler or another OC is able to come in and install a spread, RPO, and whatever Big 12 style offense, why couldn't Rudolph be on pace for 3500 yards, 24 Tds, etc? I mean it would be a system he has played in extensively and with glittering success previously...

Mojouw
10-06-2018, 11:44 AM
Here is some interesting things about how playing QB in the NFL is getting easier not harder:

https://twitter.com/MBandNFL/status/1047174898236309504

With a longer article that gives some interesting things to think about -- https://deadspin.com/its-the-perfect-storm-for-offenses-in-the-nfl-1829497545

I can never get crap from Twitter to post correct -- but here is what dude says:

League-wide passing efficiency has been the story of the NFL season. According to #NextGenStats (https://twitter.com/hashtag/NextGenStats?src=hash), there has been a significant rise in pass attempts to "wide open" receivers (3+ yards of separation) over the last 3 seasons: 2016: 36.6% 2017: 38.7% 2018: 42.2%

Point? If 4/10 passes across the entire NFL are going to wide open dudes, it isn't just the Steelers defense that is struggling!

st33lersguy
10-06-2018, 12:05 PM
Here is some interesting things about how playing QB in the NFL is getting easier not harder:

With a longer article that gives some interesting things to think about -- https://deadspin.com/its-the-perfect-storm-for-offenses-in-the-nfl-1829497545

I can never get crap from Twitter to post correct -- but here is what dude says:

League-wide passing efficiency has been the story of the NFL season. According to #NextGenStats (https://twitter.com/hashtag/NextGenStats?src=hash), there has been a significant rise in pass attempts to "wide open" receivers (3+ yards of separation) over the last 3 seasons: 2016: 36.6% 2017: 38.7% 2018: 42.2%

Point? If 4/10 passes across the entire NFL are going to wide open dudes, it isn't just the Steelers defense that is struggling!

But then what does it say about how bad the Steelers defense is that they are in the bottom 5 in total and pass defense at a time where NFL defense is at an all-time low? NFL defenses are struggling yet the Steelers are one of the worst and struggling more than almost all other defenses. Defensively the Steelers defense is noticeably below the average for the current NFL

Mojouw
10-06-2018, 12:11 PM
But then what does it say about how bad the Steelers defense is that they are in the bottom 5 in total and pass defense at a time where NFL defense is at an all-time low? NFL defenses are struggling yet the Steelers are one of the worst and struggling more than almost all other defenses. Defensively the Steelers defense is noticeably below the average for the current NFL

Right. Never said they didn't stink. And stink more than others. But attempting to keep some perspective.

In another thread there was talk of holding teams to 17 points. Or below so many yards. Etc. Not only is this defense not gonna do that but at the current rates maybe no one in the league does that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pczach
10-06-2018, 12:14 PM

Stop making sense. You're scaring those that cling to their fears and their anger like a security blanket.

Does it mean that this defense is OK? Of course not.

What it means is that everyone is having problems stopping other teams for a multitude of reasons. The rules have made it harder for defenses to cover people. Innovative offenses are making it very hard to stop teams that have learned to exploit defenses and the rules.

Mojouw
10-06-2018, 12:20 PM
Stop making sense. You're scaring those that cling to their fears and their anger like a security blanket.

Does it mean that this defense is OK? Of course not.

What it means is that everyone is having problems stopping other teams for a multitude of reasons. The rules have made it harder for defenses to cover people. Innovative offenses are making it very hard to stop teams that have learned to exploit defenses and the rules.

Yeah. That's all I wanted to do, is to try and talk about how maybe we all need to "reset" out expectations. Until someone, somewhere, comes up with a defensive innovation - this is what things look like.

I honestly think defenses can succeed by bleeding yards and even points to a degree, if they can generate turnovers and make a few key stops each game. For instance, in the Ravens game I saw a defense that isn't any good - but can rise up and make a handful of plays per game -- maybe MAYBE just enough to win as long as the offense runs more than 19 plays in a HALF!

Steeler-in-west
10-06-2018, 01:06 PM
Ben’s fine, his arm strength and ability to move in the pocket are fine. He can run great with the ball as he’s already demonstrated this season. Steelers are having systemic issues. The ability of the players on the field, specially offense is fine.

Craic
10-06-2018, 03:26 PM

It says the Steelers are still stuck in tradition with a defensive scheme that in its infancy was created to stop the run. It is in the DNA and because of that, it will always be susceptible to the pass. Until we get a clean break from it, we'll keep having these problems.

10-07-2018, 12:46 AM
My point is they aren't what they was and the young guys are more hungry. I'm more concerned about Eli then Ben and he hasn't look right last season or now... I watched a game last week and starting to wonder if this is about it for him.