PDA

View Full Version : Why Le'Veon Wouldn't have made a difference

st33lersguy
10-04-2018, 08:41 PM
I am publishing an open rant on here. I am hearing a lot about how Le'Veon's absence is hurting the team, and how things would be better if only Le'Veon Bell were there. I'm hearing this from all sorts of places. Professional Simpleton posing as an analyst Bucky Brooks even wrote that Bell's absence is hurting Bell (Even though it hasn't seemed to hurt Juju's production). The whole argument is not true. It's an argument that is easy to make, but one that is easily refutable. Here are some reasons why Le'Veon would not be making a difference.

1. Run blocking: The run blocking has not been good. The run blocking is more closely resembling the days of Jonathan Scott, Darnell Stapleton, Justin Hartwig among others than the past few years. Certainly injuries have impacted the o-line and DeCastro 2 games hurt. I've seen Conner with no room to run plenty of times. Would Le'Veon make a differnce? At best he muscles out a yard or 2.

2. A closer look at Conner and his season: Before we all go worshipping Bell let's look closely at Conner's season. He started off with a sterling opening debut, running for over 100 yards rushing and 2 TDs, with some catches out of the backfield. In Tampa Bay, he was stifled on some runs but helped seal the win with some nice runs and had over 4 yards a carry while only seeing 15 rushed. Kansas City and Baltimore, Fichtner didn't even try to run the ball. Also Conner has shown the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield which everyone praises Bell for. When they ran the ball with him in Cleveland he did well, but they haven't been giving him the touches. Hard to really pass judgment when you don't give the touches.

3. Bigger problems than RB: There are bigger problems on this team than just RB. The defense couldn't stop a nosebleed with a comforter and while Ben is putting up big numbers, he has also been off target numerous times (especially with AB). The special teams has also been awful, Jordan Berry has got to go and the Bos has been Albert Haynesworthing his first month post new contract. Would Bell make a difference when Patrick Mahomes is tossing more TDs than completions (especially when the offense is scoring 37 points) or how about when the entire offense is on the sideline as the defense lets a Joe Flacco offense gobble up numerous minutes per drive? Often times on bad all-around teams, a star RB doesn't elevate them very much at all. Consider that stars such as Walter Payton, OJ Simpson, Adrian Peterson missed the playoffs more often than not. More often than not a star RB will only go as far as their supporting cast allows. Hard to envision that with this defense, with inconsistent run-blocking from the o-line and with an inconsistent Ben off target numerous times that they would have been over .500 with Bell.

It is 3 reasons, but 3 reasons that cover a lot.

GoSlash27
10-04-2018, 09:16 PM
2a: Conner has shown competence at pass protection. In every phase of the game (running/ receiving/ pass protection) Conner has proven comparable to Bell if not even.
2b: When our running game has been stopped, the D line has penetrated into the backfield. This places o line play at fault rather than RB play.

Steeler-in-west
10-04-2018, 11:25 PM
Agree that Bell’s play wouldn’t make much of a difference in itself, but if he were with the team there might might be less distraction and thus more focus on game preparation. I don’t think this team handles potential distractions well, and this has been a distraction.

Craic
10-04-2018, 11:39 PM
2a: Conner has shown competence at pass protection. In every phase of the game (running/ receiving/ pass protection) Conner has proven comparable to Bell if not even.
2b: When our running game has been stopped, the D line has penetrated into the backfield. This places o line play at fault rather than RB play.

While I completely agree with you, I find it interesting this is a reason why Conner isn't at fault, but last year, the same situation was blamed on Bell and his running style. And, yes, last year, the Steelers had the same problem around this time of the year.

steelreserve
10-05-2018, 12:24 AM
While I completely agree with you, I find it interesting this is a reason why Conner isn't at fault, but last year, the same situation was blamed on Bell and his running style. And, yes, last year, the Steelers had the same problem around this time of the year.

I think we also tried to run the ball more than like 8 times a game, which is another problem this year. We don't even know if the running game works in the first place.

86WARD
10-05-2018, 05:20 AM
You don’t know that Bells prescience and play wouldn’t make a difference because you don’t know how opposing teams would play the Steelers. For example, Bell may not put up different numbers than Conner, but it may open up the avenue of AB and may give Brown more opportunities. Doesn’t matter what the numbers show or what the blocking is doing, they are missing a talent like Bell on offense and if someone thinks they aren’t, they are either a Bell hater or just plain naive.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-05-2018, 05:56 AM
You don’t know that Bells prescience and play wouldn’t make a difference because you don’t know how opposing teams would play the Steelers. For example, Bell may not put up different numbers than Conner, but it may open up the avenue of AB and may give Brown more opportunities. Doesn’t matter what the numbers show or what the blocking is doing, they are missing a talent like Bell on offense and if someone thinks they aren’t, they are either a Bell hater or just plain naive. This I totally agree with you and we could use him and miss him

Born2Steel
10-05-2018, 07:58 AM
16 quarters into the season plus 1 OT period. Steelers have been held scoreless in 8 (50%) of those quarters plus 1 OT period. Fact is when Bell went out in the playoffs all the Pats had to do was make sure AB didn't get the ball and game over. This season so far all defenses have to do is make sure AB doesn't get the ball and game over. Yes, this offense does miss Bell.

Having said all that...This offense better find a way because Bell is not the answer any longer. Even if he makes it back and he leads us to a SB win, he's not coming back next season. I trust Conner to get some tough short yards/goal line plays, I trust him in the passing game so far this season, I even trust his pass blocking has improved so far. Conner, by himself, is still not the player Bell has been for this offense.

Mojouw
10-05-2018, 09:52 AM
Not having Bell changes how defenses are attacking the Steelers. They are also feeling the pain of not being able to connect on the deep ball. Teams used to play they're safeties WAY off the line of scrimmage. But with no Bell and Ben not threatening teams vertical they are walking those safeties back down and compressing the field. Additionally, AB gets more double teams. Getting Bell back would help, but hitting 3 deep balls a game would be even better.

Edman
10-05-2018, 11:05 AM
Le'Veon Bell can't play Defense. That's why he won't make much of a difference.

It didn't help us against Jacksonville.

st33lersguy
10-05-2018, 12:16 PM
Bell may not put up different numbers than Conner, but it may open up the avenue of AB and may give Brown more opportunities

AB's main issue is that he and Ben are not on the same page. He's been open and targeted, it is just too many times Ben's throws to him have been off-target. Juju hasn't seemed to have a problem being productive without Bell.

Also let's remember that after Barfass ended Bell's season in the middle of 2015 (and celebrated it), Steelers went 6-2 after Bell's injury and scored more than 30 points in each of the next 6 games in his absence

Fire Goodell
10-05-2018, 12:55 PM
AB's main issue is that he and Ben are not on the same page. He's been open and targeted, it is just too many times Ben's throws to him have been off-target. Juju hasn't seemed to have a problem being productive without Bell.

Also let's remember that after Barfass ended Bell's season in the middle of 2015 (and celebrated it), Steelers went 6-2 after Bell's injury and scored more than 30 points in each of the next 6 games in his absence

We also made it to the AFCCG with Fitz Toussaint and Jordan Todman at RB lol.

st33lersguy
10-07-2018, 03:01 PM
James Conner with 110 rush yards and 75 receiving yards today

Edman
10-07-2018, 03:04 PM
James Conner with 110 rush yards and 75 receiving yards today

And one injury away from being stuck from Stevan Ridley.

This team needs Bell. A Bell-Conner combo in the backfield would be great.

pczach
10-07-2018, 03:13 PM
And one injury away from being stuck from Stevan Ridley.

This team needs Bell. A Bell-Conner combo in the backfield would be great.

That's exactly what the organization had set up for the team. Bell's holdout changed all that.

The team can't control that. They did everything they could.

st33lersguy
11-02-2018, 09:28 PM
1. Run blocking: The run blocking has not been good. The run blocking is more closely resembling the days of Jonathan Scott, Darnell Stapleton, Justin Hartwig among others than the past few years. Certainly injuries have impacted the o-line and DeCastro 2 games hurt. I've seen Conner with no room to run plenty of times. Would Le'Veon make a differnce? At best he muscles out a yard or 2.

2. A closer look at Conner and his season: Before we all go worshipping Bell let's look closely at Conner's season. He started off with a sterling opening debut, running for over 100 yards rushing and 2 TDs, with some catches out of the backfield. In Tampa Bay, he was stifled on some runs but helped seal the win with some nice runs and had over 4 yards a carry while only seeing 15 rushed. Kansas City and Baltimore, Fichtner didn't even try to run the ball. Also Conner has shown the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield which everyone praises Bell for. When they ran the ball with him in Cleveland he did well, but they haven't been giving him the touches. Hard to really pass judgment when you don't give the touches.

Don't want to brag but, looking back on this after week 8, it looks like I was spot on. The Steelers run the ball more and with the help of much improved run-blocking Conner gets offensive player of the month and the Steelers don't miss Bell one iota

polamalubeast
11-03-2018, 06:39 AM
One of the only arguments left for Bell fans on twitter is that the steelers had finished the season at 13-3 last year with Bell.

But our biggest loss is Ryan Shazier where our defense has collapsed since that injury and even though our defense is playing better lately, this defense is still very vulnerable.

And even with Bell and Shazier with us, I do not think we would finish at 13-3 again this year.

- - - Updated - - -

I am publishing an open rant on here. I am hearing a lot about how Le'Veon's absence is hurting the team, and how things would be better if only Le'Veon Bell were there. I'm hearing this from all sorts of places. Professional Simpleton posing as an analyst Bucky Brooks even wrote that Bell's absence is hurting Bell (Even though it hasn't seemed to hurt Juju's production). The whole argument is not true. It's an argument that is easy to make, but one that is easily refutable. Here are some reasons why Le'Veon would not be making a difference.

Fichtner has admitted Thursday he had abandonned the run too quickly against the Ravens in Week 4,so you were right at this time!