PDA

View Full Version : Adversity

DesertSteel
10-03-2018, 11:46 AM
Maybe I’m just looking for silver linings but doesn’t history show that Tomlin is a better coach when there’s adversity than when everything is lined up? It may be his greatest strength as a coach. Their backs are against the wall. No looking ahead. Let’s see what happens.

Steeler-in-west
10-03-2018, 12:40 PM
Yeah, the Steelers play better when everyone counts them out. I’m going to count them out for the rest of the year. Never going to expect them to win anything again with this coaching staff lol

Shoes
10-03-2018, 01:07 PM
Maybe I’m just looking for silver linings but doesn’t history show that Tomlin is a better coach when there’s adversity than when everything is lined up? It may be his greatest strength as a coach. Their backs are against the wall. No looking ahead. Let’s see what happens.

Didn't help when there was hell to unleash in December. :chuckle:

Steeldude
10-03-2018, 01:20 PM
Didn't help when there was hell to unleash in December. :chuckle:

Exactly

Shoes
10-03-2018, 01:23 PM
I'm a homer, but there is something not right with this team. The only two players that I've seen giving it their all, even when they don't make a play is Watt and Bostic. I think Mike is going to meet his first losing season.

GBMelBlount
10-03-2018, 01:41 PM
This applies even moreso for Ben imo.

The game and often the season have to be on the line for him to play inspired.

ALLD
10-03-2018, 02:06 PM
A true professional will show up to play regardless of the circumstances. Let's hear some platitudes from Tomlin to see if they can turn it around. The whole thing is being mismanaged like a screwed up coffee shop where nobody is responsible for anything and all the orders come out wrong.

Same story as always. If Tomlin wants to be buddies with the players then they will do whatever the feel like doing.. If Tomlin wants to run a team with discipline and accountability, then you might see something around Week 12 after the season has been over for a couple of weeks.

AtlantaDan
10-03-2018, 02:17 PM
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0535/6917/products/despairdemotivator.jpeg?v=1403275969

steel striker
10-03-2018, 02:17 PM
Yeah most of the so called experts have already delivered the Steelers funeral arrangements but, there is still time to turn this around to a point. The offense has to be able to score 30+ points. The defense has to simply limit the over the top plays and, maybe they could get this season turned around.

DesertSteel
10-03-2018, 02:45 PM
This applies even moreso for Ben imo.

The game and often the season have to be on the line for him to play inspired.
I think it’s a coach-QB combination. Good point.

Fire Goodell
10-03-2018, 02:56 PM
Time to unleash hell in october

Shoes
10-03-2018, 07:26 PM
Yeah most of the so called experts have already delivered the Steelers funeral arrangements but, there is still time to turn this around to a point. The offense has to be able to score 30+ points. The defense has to simply limit the over the top plays and, maybe they could get this season turned around.

Well, a lot of teams are scoring 30+ points. Unless Ben can score 50+ points and the defense wakes up, it will be ugly. I think ugly will prevail, which may not be a bad thing. AR2 has been able to bounce problems off his father for many years, but he'll be forced to be his own man now and I don't think any of us know what that will be like.

Edman
10-03-2018, 07:40 PM
The Steelers started 0-4 in 2013 and fought back to 8-8 and was Ryan Succop away from making the playoffs.

Except the 2013 Steelers could play some semblance of Defense.

DesertSteel
10-03-2018, 08:32 PM
The Steelers started 0-4 in 2013 and fought back to 8-8 and was Ryan Succop away from making the playoffs.

Except the 2013 Steelers could play some semblance of Defense.
They gave up 74 points in losses 3 and 4. It wasn’t pretty.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-04-2018, 01:53 PM
My thoughts exactly!! :chuckle:

AtlantaDan
10-04-2018, 02:05 PM

It's Helltober!

smokin3000gt
10-04-2018, 02:18 PM
It's time to defend every blade of grass!

DesertSteel
10-04-2018, 02:46 PM
I'd be happy with a little purgatory...

cold-hard-steel
10-04-2018, 03:58 PM
Like i posted before if Ben is indeed calling most of his own plays,it needs to stop now.The last game his playing was uglier than 10 miles of bad road.

86WARD
10-04-2018, 04:00 PM
Like i posted before if Ben is indeed calling most of his own plays,it needs to stop now.The last game his playing was uglier than 10 miles of bad road.

A lot of the crappy plays that Todd Haley “called” are showing up again in Pittsburgh yet Todd Haley is 135 miles away in a different state.

st33lersguy
10-04-2018, 04:00 PM
Knowing this team and their response to adversity, they will likely go 8-7-1 or even 9-6-1 and make the playoffs where they will promptly be bounced in the wildcard because of their defense

Fire Goodell
10-04-2018, 04:02 PM
Knowing this team and their response to adversity, they will likely go 8-7-1 or even 9-6-1 and make the playoffs where they will promptly be bounced in the wildcard because of their defense

Defense or bad game by ben, or both. So far Ben is 2/2, the amount of bad games he's having seems to be an upward trend

steel striker
10-05-2018, 02:41 PM
It would be nice for the Steelers to start good this game so, the offense would not be down two or three scores. I got my doubts playing the Falcons because, they have a pretty good offense.

86WARD
10-05-2018, 06:19 PM
It would be nice for the Steelers to start good this game so, the offense would not be down two or three scores. I got my doubts playing the Falcons because, they have a pretty good offense.

The Falcons defense is on Steelers level putrid though...it’s going to come down to which defense can make an accidental stop...lol.

st33lersguy
10-05-2018, 08:46 PM
Defense or bad game by ben, or both. So far Ben is 2/2, the amount of bad games he's having seems to be an upward trend

We know the defense is gonna get torched. Ben having a good or bad game? I don't know

cold-hard-steel
10-06-2018, 11:36 AM
All this crap is just"low hanging fruit",if you will."I like the way our men respond to adversity and don't even blink."When these men "enter a stadium,they know what is expected of them and they deliver that." "Such is life in the NFL,it's just the nature of this business if you will." "We all as a team know that we will face challenges and we not only expect that challenge,but we embrace that challenge." "I think it says a lot about the character of the men we put on the field." "We realize that this is a journey not only for us as coaches,but for us as a team." I'll now answer any questions you might have. Please direct those questions to only the players that are available to us and are on the 53 man roster. Teegre you first.

Edman
10-06-2018, 09:25 PM
The Falcons defense is on Steelers level putrid though...it’s going to come down to which defense can make an accidental stop...lol.

The Falcons however, have a more consistent offense and quarterback. They have Matt Ryan. You already know what you're going to get. He WILL torch this Defense. No if's and's or but's about it.

As for Ben, you don't know what you're going to get. He could torch the Falcons D tomorrow, or he could make them look like the Steel Curtain and go three and out for 3-5 straight drives and make stars out of the Falcon D with his overthrows and interceptions. Good Ben or Bad Ben. We don't know what the Steelers will get tomorrow, and that's troubling.

And even in the "good" games Ben had so far had stretches where he was a car wreck. He was putrid in the first quarter against KC, and did nothing in the second half against Tampa Bay.

86WARD
10-06-2018, 09:36 PM
Lol…serious? Matt Ryan is an inconsistent as Ben...have you ever seen him play? Sure he could torch the D and probably will but he’s far from consistent. He’s probably even more inconsistent.

Mojouw
10-06-2018, 10:40 PM
Lol…serious? Matt Ryan is an inconsistent as Ben...have you ever seen him play? Sure he could torch the D and probably will but he’s far from consistent. He’s probably even more inconsistent.

My favorite post of the week.

Matt Ryan consistent? That is pretty funny.

DesertSteel
11-05-2018, 03:10 PM
As I was saying back when we were 1-2-1 and the sky was falling..............

polamalubeast
11-05-2018, 03:11 PM

Fire Goodell
11-05-2018, 03:24 PM

The Steelers are like the stock market. Bet on em when it's time to unleash hell (blood in the streets). Sell when they are top 3 in the power rankings

Craic
11-05-2018, 05:46 PM

Yep. As I always say. Make NO assertions until six games have been played. Any time this team is 3-3 or better after six, they're going to be in the mix right to the end, and most likely in the playoffs.

GBMelBlount
11-05-2018, 06:33 PM

As Dan said was needed, we unleashed "Helltober". :chuckle:

Seriously though, we needed half a season to see what this team was capable of.

The next half season will tell us if we are ready to win another Lombardi.

We CAN do this.

DesertSteel
11-05-2018, 11:11 PM
I'll be happy with 10-5-1 and a division title as long as they're healthy for the playoffs. First round bye means nothing, as last year proved. Being healthy and hungry is more helpful.

teegre
11-06-2018, 07:00 AM

:nod: #100

AtlantaDan
11-06-2018, 07:06 AM

So far so good - sincere props for not giving up like I had

All they can do is play their schedule, but they beat two teams that currently have losing records, a .500 Falcons team, and a Bengals team they always beat

Degree of difficulty ramps up starting Thursday night

DesertSteel
11-06-2018, 10:02 AM
So far so good - sincere props for not giving up like I had

All they can do is play their schedule, but they beat two teams that currently have losing records, a .500 Falcons team, and a Bengals team they always beat

Degree of difficulty ramps up starting Thursday night

Playing that pitiful competition in the AFC East seems to work out for the Patriots every year...

AtlantaDan
11-06-2018, 12:55 PM
Playing that pitiful competition in the AFC East seems to work out for the Patriots every year...

Yeah - that aggravates me that nobody else has been able to be any good for any significant period of time in that dumpster fire of a division

polamalubeast
11-06-2018, 03:54 PM
The Steelers have always been at their best in the last few years when very few believe in them

This year, we have 4 wins(and maybe more) in a row after a bad start, last year, they won 8 games in a row after the disastrous game of Roethlisberger against the Jags .... 2016, the steelers were in the AFC title game after being 4-5,2015 many thought that the steelers were dead after Bell's injury and the steelers were 4-4,2014, the steelers were very bad after 6 games, so much that Cowher criticized the steelers after the game against the browns for the first and only time as an analyst and the steelers were 8-2 after and in 2013, the steelers finished at 8-8 despite our awful start.

If at least the steelers would be better when they are favorite in the playoffs, although in our last 4 playoffs loss, only last year the steelers were favorite and / or healthy.