PDA

View Full Version : Behre to IR/Allen added from practice squad

AtlantaDan
10-02-2018, 10:42 AM

Not a game changer but even the longest journey starts with a single step

BlackAndGold
10-02-2018, 10:44 AM
I'd say this is a game changer since Berhe is horrible lol.

AtlantaDan
10-02-2018, 10:46 AM

Agreed on Behre but we are not talking an addition of Rod Woodson in his prime :chuckle:

But that swap probably cannot hurt

Fire Goodell
10-02-2018, 11:00 AM
SUPERBOWL!

tube517
10-02-2018, 11:24 AM
Mojouw will be happy :chuckle:

Mojouw
10-02-2018, 12:17 PM
WOOOOOOOOHHOOOOOOO!

Berhe doesn't belong on an NFL roster.

Think about the fact that a team that employed Ross Cockrell last season didn't think Berhe was good enough to roster. What was he ever doing playing here?

Rotorhead
10-02-2018, 12:38 PM
Replacing Cockrell?

pczach
10-02-2018, 12:48 PM
I'm happy Allen is back on the roster.

Now I'd like to see him actually get on the field and see what he could do in real NFL action.

I'm all for Brian Allen and Marcus Allen getting a look.

Behre is awful. Dangerfield is basically a name on a roster that is never seen playing football because he isn't good at it.

Bring on the Allens!

DesertSteel
10-02-2018, 12:50 PM
We all know the definition of insanity...........

Mojouw
10-02-2018, 12:53 PM
Replacing Cockrell?

Giants thought that Cockrell was better than Berhe. I get that they are different positions, but point is that Berhe does not have the ability to play on defense in the NFL. So why was he on the Steelers roster? It was a dumb move from day one.

Shoes
10-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Good! I thought Allen looked good in pre-season.

Mach1
10-02-2018, 02:50 PM
The whole defense should be placed on IR.

pczach
10-02-2018, 04:26 PM
Giants thought that Cockrell was better than Berhe. I get that they are different positions, but point is that Berhe does not have the ability to play on defense in the NFL. So why was he on the Steelers roster? It was a dumb move from day one.

Cockrell was playing very well in camp with the Giants. Many thought that not only would he make the roster, but that he should see significant playing time....or even start.

Then, Cockrell had his horrific injury....and his season was over.

Behre couldn't make that team. They wanted nothing to do with him.

Behre has shown nothing here IMO. I never understood how he made the roster. I know others here probably think differently, but I haven't seen anything from him that showed me he was better in any way than Marcus Allen...who is a rookie. I believe Marcus Allen should have been on the roster instead of Behre.

Dwinsgames
10-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Cockrell was playing very well in camp with the Giants. Many thought that not only would he make the roster, but that he should see significant playing time....or even start.

Then, Cockrell had his horrific injury....and his season was over.

Behre couldn't make that team. They wanted nothing to do with him.

Behre has shown nothing here IMO. I never understood how he made the roster. I know others here probably think differently, but I haven't seen anything from him that showed me he was better in any way than Marcus Allen...who is a rookie. I believe Marcus Allen should have been on the roster instead of Behre.

protection duty is the only reason he made the team ....

I am far from convinced someone else could not manage that job ..I mean Rob Golden did it it can't be that hard to learn

pczach
10-02-2018, 05:57 PM
protection duty is the only reason he made the team ....

I am far from convinced someone else could not manage that job ..I mean Rob Golden did it it can't be that hard to learn

Yeah, it never makes sense to me that a more talented young player is not given a chance over an experienced, not very good player that will never get any better.

It's always a head-scratcher to me.

GBMelBlount
10-02-2018, 06:35 PM

On the bright side, when you have a really shitty team, injuries don't affect you!

86WARD
10-03-2018, 05:43 AM
Just adding another name to the list of frustrating DBs...Blake, Cockrell, Berhle, Allen, Dangerfield, Sutton...the list goes on and on and on with players that couldn’t make another teams NFL roster...

DesertSteel
10-04-2018, 11:02 AM
Just adding another name to the list of frustrating DBs...Blake, Cockrell, Berhle, Allen, Dangerfield, Sutton...the list goes on and on and on with players that couldn’t make another teams NFL roster...
Coaching.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-05-2018, 09:25 AM
Wow, I dont understand the Behre hate. The guy was signed to be a special teamer, its not like he was expected to start at Safety.

I guess its a message board tradition....get emotionally invested in the reserve safety/special teamer, #6WR battle, 3td string QB. I'm surprised nobody had complained about the lowest RB on the depth chart, Jaylen Samuels.

Mojouw
10-05-2018, 09:42 AM
I couldn't care less about Berhe specifically. But I strongly question the teams plan. You spend the entire off-season claiming you wanted the safety in the first round because you have all these plans to fix defensive issues with shiny new multiple safety packages. Then you roster 3 guys in Berhe, Dangerfield, and Allen that are totally incapable of playing the planned packages. The team just had Golden leave and didn't try and stop him because he couldn't play on defense. So you triple down on that player? Special teams is important but not at the expense of defense or offense.

Would any of the first four games have looked different if Dangerfield and Berhe were replaced on the roster with more coverage oriented reserves? We will never know, but I suspect VW and Bostic are playing a ton of passing downs not by design but because Berhe and Dangerfield don't belong on an NFL defense. So one injury to Morgan Burnett and for 25% of the season you've been unable to schematically handle pass defense the way you've claimed to want to because you've rostered multiple players incapable of contributing at all. That's just poor roster construction.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-05-2018, 10:42 AM
I couldn't care less about Berhe specifically. But I strongly question the teams plan. You spend the entire off-season claiming you wanted the safety in the first round because you have all these plans to fix defensive issues with shiny new multiple safety packages. Then you roster 3 guys in Berhe, Dangerfield, and Allen that are totally incapable of playing the planned packages. The team just had Golden leave and didn't try and stop him because he couldn't play on defense. So you triple down on that player? Special teams is important but not at the expense of defense or offense.

Would any of the first four games have looked different if Dangerfield and Berhe were replaced on the roster with more coverage oriented reserves? We will never know, but I suspect VW and Bostic are playing a ton of passing downs not by design but because Berhe and Dangerfield don't belong on an NFL defense. So one injury to Morgan Burnett and for 25% of the season you've been unable to schematically handle pass defense the way you've claimed to want to because you've rostered multiple players incapable of contributing at all. That's just poor roster construction.

I don't really recall any claims by the Steelers that they were going to play all kinds of safety sub packages....can you provide a link to where team officials said this?? I thought it was just the media writing up some article on the "Dollar" sub package and fans ran with it.

Fact is that the Steelers spent a #2 on Sean Davis, brought in Burnett in free agency, drafted Edmunds #1. They have talent, but Edmunds is still a learning rookie. The addition of Behre as special teams and drafting of a hitter in Allen in the 5th was more of an attempt to add depth and special teams inexpensively. I think Dangerfield showed up as one of the better teamers with an ability to play SS if needed.

What would you have liked the Steelers to do? Get Burnett in free agency and another veteran safety who can start like Eric Reid, when you already have invested in young talent like Davis and Edmunds? I don't see much like that feasible in a salary cap environment. I am curious as to what your thoughts are if you question the teams plans, as to what a more appropriate plan of action should have been. Please elaborate if you will. Thanks.

Mojouw
10-05-2018, 11:43 AM
I don't really recall any claims by the Steelers that they were going to play all kinds of safety sub packages....can you provide a link to where team officials said this?? I thought it was just the media writing up some article on the "Dollar" sub package and fans ran with it.

Fact is that the Steelers spent a #2 on Sean Davis, brought in Burnett in free agency, drafted Edmunds #1. They have talent, but Edmunds is still a learning rookie. The addition of Behre as special teams and drafting of a hitter in Allen in the 5th was more of an attempt to add depth and special teams inexpensively. I think Dangerfield showed up as one of the better teamers with an ability to play SS if needed.

What would you have liked the Steelers to do? Get Burnett in free agency and another veteran safety who can start like Eric Reid, when you already have invested in young talent like Davis and Edmunds? I don't see much like that feasible in a salary cap environment. I am curious as to what your thoughts are if you question the teams plans, as to what a more appropriate plan of action should have been. Please elaborate if you will. Thanks.

Many articles and off-season discussions centered around the Steelers playing a multi safety package. They aligned in this in at least 2 preseason games. You can Google the details just as well as I can. Have fun.

Berhe and Dangerfield were attempts to strengthen special teams. I've never liked doing that with guys who can't play an actual position. I would've rostered Brian Allen over one of those guys. Began cross training him as a multi tool DB. No need to sign Reid. But I would've been watching for 1-3 year players that have an untapped ceiling. Let them play special teams but also provide the potential for replacement level play in defense. Jury is still out on Allen but other two were below average even for backups.

Too much of the roster is guys that everyone knows can't help but are there for supposed lack of anything else. I reject the idea that there isn't a better player than Dangerfield and Berhe out there. They went "safe" on safeties and it is burning them.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-05-2018, 11:56 AM
Many articles and off-season discussions centered around the Steelers playing a multi safety package. They aligned in this in at least 2 preseason games. You can Google the details just as well as I can. Have fun.

Berhe and Dangerfield were attempts to strengthen special teams. I've never liked doing that with guys who can't play an actual position. I would've rostered Brian Allen over one of those guys. Began cross training him as a multi tool DB. No need to sign Reid. But I would've been watching for 1-3 year players that have an untapped ceiling. Let them play special teams but also provide the potential for replacement level play in defense. Jury is still out on Allen but other two were below average even for backups.

Too much of the roster is guys that everyone knows can't help but are there for supposed lack of anything else. I reject the idea that there isn't a better player than Dangerfield and Berhe out there. They went "safe" on safeties and it is burning them.

Articles and off-season discussions on blogs, twitter, message boards=speculation. Nothing of a direction ever was stated by the Steelers

So Brian Allen was going to help the situation currently? I don't know if he will ever start in the NFL. The converted WR might just be a reserve.

Lots of people can point out issues, but the real skill is being able to point out solutions. You can reject the idea that there were better players than Behre and Dangerfield, but can you name a viable player they should have got instead. I say Eric Reid was better than both, but likely too expensive.

Mojouw
10-05-2018, 12:13 PM
Articles and off-season discussions on blogs, twitter, message boards=speculation. Nothing of a direction ever was stated by the Steelers

So Brian Allen was going to help the situation currently? I don't know if he will ever start in the NFL. The converted WR might just be a reserve.

Lots of people can point out issues, but the real skill is being able to point out solutions. You can reject the idea that there were better players than Behre and Dangerfield, but can you name a viable player they should have got instead. I say Eric Reid was better than both, but likely too expensive.

Considering they played versions of a big nickel and dollar package for much of at least one of the preseason games and specifically showed it against run down looks by the offense. I think it is far more than speculative that they were planning on playing a great deal of multiple DB sub packages. Several players talked about it. Then Burnett got hurt missed a ton of camp and missed a ton of games. So they are playing more traditional packages. The fact that Berhe was seeing the field demonstrates a still present commitment or desire to play multiple safeties.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2018/all/safety/

From that list I would propose Mike Mitchell if he would’ve been up for a reunion on a reduced role. Take a veteran flyer that Jarius Byrd has something left. I am not good at this, but I suspect that many on here can name a handful of guys from the last few draft classes that are worth taking a flyer on.

This is not one of the main reasons the team is doing badly by any stretch. It is just one of my pet peeves. i have long thought that the Steelers value steadiness and familiarity at the bottom of the roster. I really think that the bottom of the roster is to take high risk high reward gambles.