PDA

View Full Version : Poor Coaching Undercutting Already Struggling Steelers Defense

Shoes
10-01-2018, 12:55 PM
We’re four weeks into the regular season. The time for excuses are over. Once again, the Pittsburgh Steelers’ defense struggles to do things as basic as making substitutions. Yes, there were plenty of injuries during training camp and plenty of new additions that made life a little difficult. But it’s four weeks. And it’s getting ridiculous.

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/10/poor-coaching-undercutting-already-struggling-steelers-defense/

Buckinnuts
10-01-2018, 04:30 PM
fire porter he is a bum

Fire Goodell
10-01-2018, 04:34 PM
Porter and Butler should have been fired last year

Mojouw
10-01-2018, 04:35 PM
fire porter he is a bum

Interestingly enough, multiple TV angles and instances showed Porter as the ONLY defensive coach visibly reacting to and attempting to correct improper substitutions.

So maybe he is the only one who can count?

stillers4me
10-01-2018, 04:37 PM

Shoes
10-01-2018, 05:31 PM
Interestingly enough, multiple TV angles and instances showed Porter as the ONLY defensive coach visibly reacting to and attempting to correct improper substitutions.

I saw that. Porter's frantic hand & arm motion is what snapped Butler out of his coma.

86WARD
10-01-2018, 05:46 PM

He’s the least of the problem...

Butler and Bradley should probably go before Porter.

DesertSteel
10-01-2018, 06:05 PM
He’s the least of the problem...

Butler and Bradley should probably go before Porter.
I want Butler gone yesterday. Problem is that I can't think of one defensive coach on that staff that I'd want as interim. Do teams ever bring in an outside interim? I can't recall one.

86WARD
10-01-2018, 06:34 PM
I want Butler gone yesterday. Problem is that I can't think of one defensive coach on that staff that I'd want as interim. Do teams ever bring in an outside interim? I can't recall one.

Steelers won’t fire anyone midseason.

Fire Goodell
10-01-2018, 06:51 PM

I'm ususally against midseason fires, but if it's Butler I'm OK with it. Seriously 4th season as the DC and they're still having communication issues and 12 men on the field? This guy had his chances and has shown no improvement. I'd say that this dude sucks but that's an understatement.

Rotorhead
10-01-2018, 07:22 PM
Thinking back, when the Broncos stupidly cut Wade Philipps a couple years ago, I was wishing the Steelers would scoop him up. I would take him as a HC, his stint in Dallas wasn’t the best, but now he has more experience and his Defenses are always top in the league.

DesertSteel
10-01-2018, 07:49 PM
Perhaps not, but he could get demoted.

Mojouw
10-01-2018, 08:13 PM
Thinking back, when the Broncos stupidly cut Wade Philipps a couple years ago, I was wishing the Steelers would scoop him up. I would take him as a HC, his stint in Dallas wasn’t the best, but now he has more experience and his Defenses are always top in the league.

That would've been interesting to see. In fact, it would have been about the most fascinating 3-4 defense thing that has ever happened. You have team/roster constructed to run the Lebeau/Cowher/Capers/Butler/Tomlin version of a zone-blitz base. Admittedly, Steelers are in the midst of attempting to transition to the ability (potential?) to run man coverages, but I think you all get the point. That team gets taken over by a defensive boss who loves to put his corners on man coverage islands to get his blitzers free. No idea how that would work or even what it would look like. But it would've been fun to see.