PDA

View Full Version : Which Side of the Ball Carries More Blame in This Loss?

Craic
09-30-2018, 10:31 PM
At first, it easily was the defense. However, They controlled three of the four quarters and allowed no TDs at all after that first quarter. Moreover, they did so with a strip at the one yard line. After that, the Ravens put up 4 field goals in the second half.

The Steelers offense? After the second quarter, they did nothing. Nothing. So, all-in-all, I gotta lay this one on the offense. All they needed to do was get a TD and run some time off the clock after that and this would have been a very different outcome.

Shoes
09-30-2018, 10:32 PM
They both suck. :chuckle:

st33lersguy
09-30-2018, 10:32 PM
Both.

JayC
09-30-2018, 10:35 PM
Both suck. Defense is worse though

FrancoLambert
09-30-2018, 10:36 PM
Does it really matter?
Neither unit is capable of leading this team.

Iron Steeler
09-30-2018, 10:37 PM
Defense by a land slide

Craic
09-30-2018, 10:38 PM
Both.
???

Seriously. The Ravens were 12-12 in the redzone or some stupid number like that. They walk out of this game 1-5. They were kept out of the endzone for three full quarters after making adjustments between quarters 1 and 2, it seems. I don't know, but saying both that flippantly when the question was specifically which side is pretty lazy. I think it was the offense, myself.

Steeldude
09-30-2018, 10:38 PM
Tomlin

st33lersguy
09-30-2018, 10:40 PM
Other than Juju, is there one player on this god damn team that is playing well right now? Please, give me one player

- - - Updated - - -

???

Seriously. The Ravens were 12-12 in the redzone or some stupid number like that. They walk out of this game 1-5. They were kept out of the endzone for three full quarters after making adjustments between quarters 1 and 2, it seems. I don't know, but saying both that flippantly when the question was specifically which side is pretty lazy. I think it was the offense, myself.

Yes cause 26 points, over 400 yards, and allowing the opposing to control the game the way they did is such a great and admirable performance.

Iron Steeler
Our FO takes too much pride with drafting their own and home grown development. But for over a decade or more they do not know how to evaluate the DB posostion .

Just buy proven FA CBs like every other good defense

Craic
Other than Juju, is there one player on this god damn team that is playing well right now? Please, give me one player

Off the top of my head, Haden, Bostic, and the interior O Line.

GoSlash27
09-30-2018, 10:41 PM
Damn, I don't know! :D

The D has no identity now... other than tackling dummies. The offense can make things happen, but only when Ben isn't having a bad day. Both happened tonight, so I guess flip a coin. *shrug*

Mojouw
Offense lost tonight.

Defense did enough to keep the game manageable.

Ben missed open throws the entire second half.

One TD in the third quarter and this is a win.

AtlantaDan

He disappeared in second half but McDonald has made plays

AB has to be hurt

It is Ben’s offense now and it has no coherence

DesertSteel
Pathetic display of both sides.

86WARD
09-30-2018, 10:42 PM
Defense was porous...should’ve easily been 21-0 had Flacco hit Crabtree wide open and then probably got crazy from there. The defense gave Flacco record time to throw the ball...knowing that these DBs can’t cover worth a shit. Not only that but then they never made a visible adjustment. They rushed 3-4 guys and when they did 5, it was straight forward with no moves or anything. Dupree and Watt were useless out there, they seriously should’ve just sat on the bench and not risked injury...just to save it just in case this defense gets a clue,

Offense runs like a well oiled machine in the second quarter and at the end of the half then comes out and can’t do fuck all? Really?

The coaching was the worst I have ever seen it...EVER. That includes the 80s and 90s. This defense is the worst defense that this organization has seen in decades. There’s so much wrong with this team that it’s not going to be fixed for at least 3-4 years...not even close...

86WARD
09-30-2018, 10:43 PM

Vance McDonald.

Shoes
09-30-2018, 10:43 PM
Bostic has been the only consistent part of this defense. He's not as fast as Shazier but he doesn't miss as many tackles as Ryan did.

Craic
09-30-2018, 10:45 PM

Yes cause 26 points, over 400 yards, and allowing the opposing to control the game the way they did is such a great and admirable performance.
Holding the hottest team in the NFL in the redzone to 1 TD in the redzone is pretty dang good. The offense has to hold on to the ball more than 8.5 or so minutes in a thirty minute half.

- - - Updated - - -

Offense lost tonight.

My thoughts exactly. Defense isn't good, but they didn't lose the game tonight.

tube517
09-30-2018, 10:46 PM

AB has to be hurt

Seems like to me, Juju took a hit and since then, he wasn't the same.

AB and Ben have no answers for their 2nd half non production.

I'm getting a 2013 vibe where the team is just not good.

SteelersCanadian
09-30-2018, 10:47 PM
This is a team that runs through its quarterback for wins. The entire offensive system is predicated on this ideology.

What happens when the quarterback looks washed up to the point of missing wide open throws to the best receiver in football?

dislocatedday
09-30-2018, 10:47 PM
Offense lost tonight.

Agreed......I have more concerns overall with the defense as a unit, but tonight the offense did absolutely nothing in the 2nd half. The Ravens have a good defense I know, but Ben was missing guys left and right. I also hate how often it is 3rd and a few yards, and the Steelers are chucking the ball 20 or more yards down the field. Just pick up the first down (like what the Ravens did repeatedly tonight).

86WARD
09-30-2018, 10:48 PM
Holding the hottest team in the NFL in the redzone to 1 TD in the redzone is pretty dang good. The offense has to hold on to the ball more than 8.5 or so minutes in a thirty minute half.

- - - Updated - - -

My thoughts exactly. Defense isn't good, but they didn't lose the game tonight.

They didn’t play the Rams nor the Chiefs nor the Bears nor the Bengals tonight.

Edman
09-30-2018, 10:49 PM
It really doesn't make a difference. This team sucks.

The Defense, as we already know is a pile of shit. The Offense is very inconsistent, but hey, we have a future HOF Quarterback at least.

This team fucking blows.

Steeldude
09-30-2018, 10:51 PM
The team Tomlin created. They need another rainy day against the Browns.

st33lersguy
09-30-2018, 10:55 PM
Vance McDonald.

One stiff arm is all he's done right now. Other than that, a waste of the draft position they yielded last April to get him

86WARD
09-30-2018, 10:57 PM
One stiff arm is all he's done right now. Other than that, a waste of the draft position they yielded last April to get him

Nah...he’s bailed Ben out quite a few times and he pretty much got that second half offense started and energized tonight. He’s playing well.

Craic
09-30-2018, 10:59 PM
They didn’t play the Rams nor the Chiefs nor the Bears nor the Bengals tonight.

I didn't say they did. I said the hottest team in the redzone. No other team was 100% (12-12) in the redzone.

st33lersguy
09-30-2018, 11:03 PM

Yeah forget about how they let the Ravens move into the redzone with ease numerous times.
How much mental gymnastics are some gonna perform to deny that this defense isn't a complete shitshow? 30th in the league in total defense. 26th scoring defense. 29th in passing defense. No this defense isn't a shitshow.

Dwinsgames
09-30-2018, 11:08 PM
asking for a friend ....... was holding the Ratbirds in the redzone to FGs more about what we did or what they failed to do ( law of averages )

also asking for same friend did the def play that well when they allowed Ratbirds to drive on them and score 6 times in 4 quarters ?

but as poorly as we played on offense would it have mattered ?

this team sucks

BlackAndGold
09-30-2018, 11:11 PM
Has anyone seen Tuitt? why does this man even have a contract?

Fans bash guys like Dupree, but wtf does Tuitt do on this team?

Craic
09-30-2018, 11:18 PM
asking for a friend ....... was holding the Ratbirds in the redzone to FGs more about what we did or what they failed to do ( law of averages )
However, dice don't have memory. So no, it's not law of averages when it comes to a single game.

also asking for same friend did the def play that well when they allowed Ratbirds to drive on them and score 6 times in 4 quarters ?

IMO, no, they didn't play well. I don't think I said they played well. What I did say was holding the hottest redzone team in the NFL to 1-5 in the redzone is dang good. And, it is. But, that doesn't discount the fact they allowed the Ravens to put up 14 points in the first quarter with ease, or that they allowed the Ravens to drive on them time and again. Yet, those two facts also doesn't discount the fact that the Steelers D did stiffen in the redzone.

but as poorly as we played on offense would it have mattered ?

And that's my point. As bad as it was, it was an effort that had we had any effort from the offense in the second half, we probably would have won the game. At best, the defense was mediocre for three quarters. But, mediocre was good enough if our offense played even at 75% of their ability in the second half.

Dwinsgames
09-30-2018, 11:21 PM
Ravens Total Net Yards 451

Steelers

Total Net Yards

Rotorhead
09-30-2018, 11:23 PM
We were due for a crappy year, maybe we can draft our millionth LB to suck higher in the draft. Unfortunately we need to replace Shazier and Dupree, and pick up more DB’s.

Craic
09-30-2018, 11:23 PM
Yeah forget about how they let the Ravens move into the redzone with ease numerous times.
How much mental gymnastics are some gonna perform to deny that this defense isn't a complete shitshow? 30th in the league in total defense. 26th scoring defense. 29th in passing defense. No this defense isn't a shitshow.

Again, you are arguing arguments I'm not making. Not sure why. It's pretty easy. 1-5 in the redzone. Previously, 12-12. That is a good enough effort to allow the offense in the second half to win the game.

Please show me one place in this thread where I said the offense was good. I'm speaking of specific places where they stepped up, or how they did enough for what was needed for the offense to win the game if they decided to show up in the second half. Go ahead, though, ignore all the specificity and nuances to anything I'm typing.

Dwinsgames
09-30-2018, 11:25 PM
Ben just 5.5 yards per pass play ( not gonna get it done most weeks with those kind of totals )

Flacco on the other hand over 8 yards per pass play

Craic
09-30-2018, 11:27 PM
Ravens Total Net Yards 451

Steelers
Total Net Yards

Exactly. And when you pair that with (in rounded numbers)

Ravens possession second half: 21-22 minutes
Steelers possession second half: 8-9 minutes.

It really tells the tale. Especially when you realize the Steelers had 6 possessions in the second half, which means they held the ball an average of 1 minute, 15 seconds to 1 minute, 30 seconds per possession.

Shoes
09-30-2018, 11:27 PM
Ben just 5.5 yards per pass play ( not gonna get it done most weeks with those kind of totals )

Flacco on the other hand over 8 yards per pass play

3rd down ...2-12. Did we get 50 yards in the 2nd half?

Fire Goodell
09-30-2018, 11:54 PM
Ben honestly. The defense is terrible, but Ben can't seem to even hit wide open receivers with consistency. I don't know what the hell is wrong with him, but he had AB open for some huge gainers and just didn't connect. It's almost like he's purposefully trying to throw bad throws to AB but those 2 aren't close to being on the same page.

Anyway the 2nd half what did our offensive possessions look like? 3 and out, 4 and out, INT, turnover on downs?? They're as much to blame as the defense

And OC fitch we're still trying to throw screens to Terrell Suggs' side?? Are you fucking retarded? As if that guy hasn't seen this 3 million times before. You aren't gonna fool him with that shit.

Ben threw around 3 incomplete passes trying to pump fake. Outside of the 2nd quarter he put on a total shit show.

BlackAndGold
09-30-2018, 11:56 PM
Not sure if anyone follows the team/sport, but Penguins hockey starts Thursday.

You get to see high level coaching, player developing, and winning.

Shoes
09-30-2018, 11:57 PM
Not sure if anyone follows the team/sport, but Penguins hockey starts Thursday.

You get to see high level coaching, player developing, and winning.

:lol:

steelreserve
10-01-2018, 12:01 AM

AB has to be hurt

This sums it up about as well as anything I have heard. I have rarely seen the offense look so inconsistent and hurky-jerky. Does just enough to make you think it can be good, then goes a whole half being shut out. Can't string together drives with any kind of consistency and has no clue how to build momentum. It's like the entire offense turned into a giant Willie Parker.

Fire Goodell
10-01-2018, 12:02 AM
This sums it up about as well as anything I have heard. I have rarely seen the offense look so inconsistent and hurky-jerky. Does just enough to make you think it can be good, then goes a whole half being shut out. Can't string together drives with any kind of consistency and has no clue how to build momentum. It's like the entire offense turned into a giant Willie Parker.

Good way to put it. Feast or famine with no consistency whatsoever. Love fast Willie and all but it's true

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-01-2018, 12:46 AM
Offense lost tonight.

I agree. The defense didn't control the line of scrimmage, but the Offense seemed to have nothing in the way of creative playcalling or execution. I mean, the Ravens had the Steelers D guessing where the play was going, while the Steelers Offense seemed mundane and predictable. Maybe just having a caddy for Ben wasn't such a good idea after all?

Steeler-in-west
10-01-2018, 01:10 AM
Offense couldn't get anything going in the 3rd quarter after the defense was getting stops. Ben was misfiring and there was no room for Conner to run, which was surprising; we had all our starters back on the line and the ravens run defense was supposed to be mediocre at best. Defense feeds off Offense and offense was giving nothing in the 2nd half. Eventually the D wore out.

Whether its the coaches or the overrated talent (?) i'm strongly suspecting there will big changes if we don't make the playoffs this year. Could this season be a 1968 season again? (50 years later, appropriately)

BlackAndGold
10-01-2018, 01:11 AM
Offense couldn't get anything going in the 3rd quarter after the defense was getting stops. Ben was misfiring and there was no room for Conner to run, which was surprising; we had all our starters back on the line and the ravens run defense was supposed to be mediocre at best. Defense feeds off Offense and offense was giving nothing in the 2nd half. Eventually the D wore out.

Whether its the coaches or the overrated talent (?) i'm strongly suspecting there will big changes if we don't make the playoffs this year. Could this year be a 1968 year again? (50 years later, appropriately)

I see Butler and Porter being canned but Tomlin isn't going anywhere.

Steeler-in-west
10-01-2018, 01:13 AM
I see Butler and Porter being canned but Tomlin isn't going anywhere.

well, Butler and Porter will be Tomlin's last excuse

BlackAndGold
10-01-2018, 01:18 AM
well, Butler and Porter will be Tomlin's last excuse

100%.

Wishing I knew what AR2 is thinking right now, can't be good.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-01-2018, 01:30 AM
100%.

Wishing I knew what AR2 is thinking right now, can't be good. Probably thinking we still sale tickets and merchandise so all good.

BlackAndGold
10-01-2018, 01:34 AM
Probably thinking we still sale tickets and merchandise so all good.

He's more likely not to be in a good mood. Would be such a shame if he had those thoughts after this showing.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
10-01-2018, 01:44 AM
He's more likely not to be in a good mood. Would be such a shame if he had those thoughts after this showing. Who knows what he thinks but doubt he will doing anything about this team.

- - - Updated - - -

That said Butler may get the axe cause Tomlin had a argument with him.

86WARD
10-01-2018, 05:53 AM
Has anyone seen Tuitt? why does this man even have a contract?

Fans bash guys like Dupree, but wtf does Tuitt do on this team?

Yes. He shows up from time to time with a hands to the face penalty.

GoSlash27
10-01-2018, 06:11 AM

Ryan Switzer.

teegre
10-01-2018, 06:52 AM
Ben to AB used to be automatic. Now... not so much.

There were at least three throws where Ben threw to AB, but just simply could not connect. Whereas, again, that used to just be automatic.

Ben also isn’t “seeing” things. On a 2nd down play, AB was standing wide open in the end-zone. It was busted coverage, but Ben completely missed that read. (Of course, as I’ve slreasy mentioned: that connection is “off” this season; so, Ben most likely would have thrown it three the back of the end-zone.) After the play, Ben realizes that he should have gone to AB... and so, on third down, Ben FORCES the ball to AB (who is triple covered) as opposed to taking a dump off to two open receivers... which would have netted a first down.

This defense is not good. But, as Craig said, they limited a Ravens offense to FGs (when the Ravens had been perfect in the red-zone). The offense, though, did not help matters by giving the ball up twice in their own red-zone AND going three-&-out over & over, making the defense have to be on the field for 2/3 of the second half. Again, as bad as this defense is, even good defenses would give up those 12 points in the second half.

SUMMATION:
The defense played well enough to win. Take away those 6 points that were gifted to the Ravens via turnovers (actually, it was 10 points, but the offense turned the ball over in FG range... and technically, the defense could have limited that TD to a FG) and it’s a six-point game. Alas, the offense could NOT even muster a measly FG Drive in the second half... so, really, it would have frustratingly ended as a 20-14 loss.

ANALYSIS:
This team goes as Ben goes...

86WARD
10-01-2018, 07:08 AM
It’s both sides of the ball...it’s not one more than the other...on the season, it’s defense but yesterday the Ravens just drove up and down the field, eating clock, getting points drive after drive. The offense showed up for one quarter. Then disappeared into a nether. It’s a mess all the way around. Ben and AB still aren’t on the same page after 4 weeks. Well the “preseason” games excuse is officially over and Week 5 is here so all should be good with Ben and AB...correct?? Lol.

Born2Steel
10-01-2018, 07:31 AM
One touchdown in six quarters. 1

Shoes
10-01-2018, 07:34 AM
It’s both sides of the ball...it’s not one more than the other...on the season, it’s defense but yesterday the Ravens just drove up and down the field, eating clock, getting points drive after drive. The offense showed up for one quarter. Then disappeared into a nether. It’s a mess all the way around. Ben and AB still aren’t on the same page after 4 weeks. Well the “preseason” games excuse is officially over and Week 5 is here so all should be good with Ben and AB...correct?? Lol.

It is indeed, I heard Haden saying there were communication problems in the secondary again. This team is destined for last place in the AFC north.

cold-hard-steel
10-01-2018, 07:49 AM
The defense continues to struggle and unable to get off the field on 3rd downs with little up-front pressure.But tonight the offense did everything in their power to lose the game.I was in total disbelief how third and short you throw downfield and on 3rd and long you throw short.Every time.If Ben is the one calling these plays then i think he should stop and i mean NOW!!!!!!! Still waiting for Le'veons take on this game.The way McDonald seems to excite even his own team and gets everybody pumped up; how many touches did he have in the 2nd half? The offense disgraceful.(Ben)

NCSteeler
10-01-2018, 07:59 AM
???

Seriously. The Ravens were 12-12 in the redzone or some stupid number like that. They walk out of this game 1-5. They were kept out of the endzone for three full quarters after making adjustments between quarters 1 and 2, it seems. I don't know, but saying both that flippantly when the question was specifically which side is pretty lazy. I think it was the offense, myself.The offense is to blame but honestly the Ravens killed themselves on several drives. The offense stunk , horrible out side the one long drive. The defense in week four still had tons of plays where multiple players look lost, confused . It pretty embarrassing to think an NFL caliber coach can do no better to prepare this unit

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Craic
10-01-2018, 08:08 AM
The offense is to blame but honestly the Ravens killed themselves on several drives. The offense stunk , horrible out side the one long drive. The defense in week four still had tons of plays where multiple players look lost, confused . It pretty embarrassing to think an NFL caliber coach can do no better to prepare this unit

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

You get no argument from me for what you have here in bold. I'm starting to think the biggest problem on defense is that at its heart, we still have a LeBeau Fire-Blitz mentality. The problem is, we're not even blitzing anymore. What's left is just zone coverage schemes with a man-cover scheme thrown in once in a while. How many times did we see receivers line up 10-12 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 3? I think we need to cleanse the entire defensive side of the ball from the Lebeau coaching tree. Butler, Porter (who played for him), and so on. Anyone that's left. Bring in someone younger and fresher.

However, for this game, I have to lay the final blame on the offense. Please. Score at least 3 points in quarters 1, 3, or 4. Seriously. At LEAST three.

AtlantaDan
10-01-2018, 08:12 AM
Anyway the 2nd half what did our offensive possessions look like? 3 and out, 4 and out, INT, turnover on downs?? They're as much to blame as the defense

Link below to 2nd half posssessions

1st drive - 3 and out for 2 yards
2nd drive - 2 first downs to Steelers 47 (6 plays, 27 yards)
3rd drive - 3 and out for minus 2 yards
4th drive - 1 first down to Steelers 45 (4 plays, 20 yards)
5th drive - 3 plays ending in Ben INT returned to Steelers 27
Final drive - 4 plays, no first down, turnover on downs

Steelers had three first downs and did not cross midfield in second half - yikes

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401030933

Crow-Magnon
10-01-2018, 08:47 AM
Take it from an outsider. The Steelers defense was not the cause of the L. Zero points scored in the 2nd half was the cause. Blame it on the Ravens D or the Steelers O but the result will not change. The 3rd quarter started tied 14-14 and Pittsburgh’s offense was on a roll in the 2nd quarter. But it went down the pooper in the 2nd half.

86WARD
10-01-2018, 09:12 AM
It’s a team effort and the whole team caved in big time...

BlackAndGold
10-01-2018, 10:06 AM
100%.

Wishing I knew what AR2 is thinking right now, can't be good.

Found this.

AtlantaDan
10-01-2018, 10:22 AM
Found this.

AJRII has gone through rocky times before after he effectively replaced Dan Rooney as CEO when his father went off to be the ambassador to Ireland (Ben in Milledgeville/firing Arians/rebuild as the Super Bowl vets aged out and LeBeau had to be forced out). But before he always had his Dad to consult as consigliere.

Now he is faced with having to consider, without that support, whether for the first time since 1988 and 1999 (when Dan Rooney nearly fired Noll then had to decide a decade later how to resolve the Cowher/Tom Donohoe power struggle) the Steelers owner needs to start considering whether the head coach's time may be winding down. Other than selling the team hiring/firing the HC is the most important decision an owner has to make.

Craic
10-01-2018, 10:39 AM
AJRII has gone through rocky times before after he effectively replaced Dan Rooney as CEO when his father went off to be the ambassador to Ireland (Ben in Milledgeville/firing Arians/rebuild as the Super Bowl vets aged out and LeBeau had to be forced out). But before he always had his Dad to consult as consigliere.

Now he is faced with having to consider, without that support, whether for the first time since 1988 and 1999 (when Dan Rooney nearly fired Noll then had to decide a decade later how to resolve the Cowher/Tom Donohoe power struggle) the Steelers owner needs to start considering whether the head coach's time may be winding down. Other than selling the team hiring/firing the HC is the most important decision an owner has to make.

Taking all things into consideration, the underlying reason this team has been so good since the seventies and has never had a down time like the Raiders or Browns and so on, is because of consistency. For that reason alone, I make one last change before I fire the head coach, who still hasn't had a losing season (yeah, with Cowher's players, I know, strange that Cowher had several losing seasons with his players). I do what was done in the 80s. Force a large change under him. Replace the DC. Maybe even replace the OC if this keeps going. Replace the LB coach. Replace the RB coach. In fact, the only coaches I might keep other than Tomlin are Munchak and Drake. Then, I put Mike on notice he gets one more cycle - i.e. one more three-year stint to build the team in the dominant team they've been in the past.

I know, everyone screams for the HC to leave. But that is such a crap shoot, and if we don't land a good coach, we begin a carousel that is nothing but destructive to a team. Tomlin has proven he is a good coach. He's also proven he has big weaknesses. Again, I highlight those for him and then give him that time to clean it up.

Steeler-in-west
10-01-2018, 10:42 AM
Take it from an outsider. The Steelers defense was not the cause of the L. Zero points scored in the 2nd half was the cause. Blame it on the Ravens D or the Steelers O but the result will not change. The 3rd quarter started tied 14-14 and Pittsburgh’s offense was on a roll in the 2nd quarter. But it went down the pooper in the 2nd half.

ravens have a good defense, and overall solid team this year, but Ben was off target with his receivers the second half. He usually hits those targets, yesterday he wasn’t, he had enough time.

AtlantaDan
10-01-2018, 10:57 AM
Taking all things into consideration, the underlying reason this team has been so good since the seventies and has never had a down time like the Raiders or Browns and so on, is because of consistency. For that reason alone, I make one last change before I fire the head coach, who still hasn't had a losing season (yeah, with Cowher's players, I know, strange that Cowher had several losing seasons with his players). I do what was done in the 80s. Force a large change under him. Replace the DC. Maybe even replace the OC if this keeps going. Replace the LB coach. Replace the RB coach. In fact, the only coaches I might keep other than Tomlin are Munchak and Drake. Then, I put Mike on notice he gets one more cycle - i.e. one more three-year stint to build the team in the dominant team they've been in the past.

I know, everyone screams for the HC to leave. But that is such a crap shoot, and if we don't land a good coach, we begin a carousel that is nothing but destructive to a team. Tomlin has proven he is a good coach. He's also proven he has big weaknesses. Again, I highlight those for him and then give him that time to clean it up.

I agree Tomlin is still regarded to be a good coach and the Steelers patience with HCs is unmatched. Add to that the Steelers luck may not hold as it did with swapping out Noll for Cowher then Cowher for Tomlin.

But even during the 2014-2017 playoff run the off the field problems along with on the field disorganization like the botched ending of the 2017 Pats game having been chipping away at Tomlin's reputation. Add to that top assistants may be reluctant to join Tomlin if AJRII forces a housecleaning with the assumption Tomlin will be the next to go.

So for the first time I could see Tomlin being let go if the bottom falls out or if forced to replace much of his staff saying screw it I can get another HC job after probably having done my most productive work here.

86WARD
10-01-2018, 12:54 PM
First 8 plays on defense yielded one miscommunication leading to a John Brown TD, a 12 man on the field penalty and a down where they had 10 men on field...

Coaching, coaching, coaching.

Fire Goodell
10-01-2018, 04:44 PM
ravens have a good defense, and overall solid team this year, but Ben was off target with his receivers the second half. He usually hits those targets, yesterday he wasn’t, he had enough time.

Big Ben looks like Tim Tebow without the muscles and instead of 4th quarter heroics, he has 2nd quarter heroics

DesertSteel
10-01-2018, 06:03 PM
I agree Tomlin is still regarded to be a good coach and the Steelers patience with HCs is unmatched. Add to that the Steelers luck may not hold as it did with swapping out Noll for Cowher then Cowher for Tomlin.

But even during the 2014-2017 playoff run the off the field problems along with on the field disorganization like the botched ending of the 2017 Pats game having been chipping away at Tomlin's reputation. Add to that top assistants may be reluctant to join Tomlin if AJRII forces a housecleaning with the assumption Tomlin will be the next to go.

So for the first time I could see Tomlin being let go if the bottom falls out or if forced to replace much of his staff saying screw it I can get another HC job after probably having done my most productive work here.
Tomlin's future is as a studio analyst on game day. Obviously.

AtlantaDan
10-01-2018, 06:26 PM
Tomlin's future is as a studio analyst on game day. Obviously.

Cowher retires from CBS pregame show and Tomlin hired to replace him

Ratings then increase for CBS pregame show but Cowher Power fans contend Tomlin is winning the ratings battle with Cowher’s co-hosts and has not won with his own co-hosts

Craic
10-01-2018, 08:40 PM
Cowher retires from CBS pregame show and Tomlin hired to replace him

Ratings then increase for CBS pregame show but Cowher Power fans contend Tomlin is winning the ratings battle with Cowher’s co-hosts and has not won with his own co-hosts

THIS.

Ain't it the truth, though.