PDA

View Full Version : Good Read About Coverage Schemes

Mojouw
09-26-2018, 04:16 PM
https://steelersdepot.com/2018/09/film-room-steelers-defense-starting-to-clean-things-up/

Nice breakdown of one difference between KC and the Bucs game.

Also highlights that coverage "breakdowns" are hard to determine. In the Bucs game, the coverage is designed to leave the short sideline route open in order to distribute safety help across the field.

I think we should all remember that when an offense puts 4 or more out into pass patterns, it is almost impossible to not have one of them "open" or even "unguarded" by design.

pczach
09-26-2018, 05:13 PM
https://steelersdepot.com/2018/09/film-room-steelers-defense-starting-to-clean-things-up/

Nice breakdown of one difference between KC and the Bucs game.

Also highlights that coverage "breakdowns" are hard to determine. In the Bucs game, the coverage is designed to leave the short sideline route open in order to distribute safety help across the field.

I think we should all remember that when an offense puts 4 or more out into pass patterns, it is almost impossible to not have one of them "open" or even "unguarded" by design.

That's why it is so important to have a consistent pass rush, preferably only rushing 4. A quarterback shouldn't be able to make it to their fourth option before the rush gets there. The more players that are sent out into pass patterns, the less protection there is for the quarterback. That means that there will be free rushers if there is a blitz and there is no RB or the RB is in a pass pattern.

This is where the better quarterbacks tend to take advantage over lesser QB's. They understand where to go with the football, based on the coverage, or they are able to manipulate the coverage with their eyes to create a favorable passing lane. Of course, once they do all that they still need to deliver the ball.

The current rules make it very difficult to cover the entire field without gaps or keeping players from creating separation.

Mojouw
09-26-2018, 05:20 PM
That's why it is so important to have a consistent pass rush, preferably only rushing 4. A quarterback shouldn't be able to make it to their fourth option before the rush gets there. The more players that are sent out into pass patterns, the less protection there is for the quarterback. That means that there will be free rushers if there is a blitz and there is no RB or the RB is in a pass pattern.

This is where the better quarterbacks tend to take advantage over lesser QB's. They understand where to go with the football, based on the coverage, or they are able to manipulate the coverage with their eyes to create a favorable passing lane. Of course, once they do all that they still need to deliver the ball.

The current rules make it very difficult to cover the entire field without gaps or keeping players from creating separation.

Totally agree. Really good outline of things.

I just wanted to point out that a team can execute its defensive playcall/alignment 100% properly and it can look like a "blown coverage" on TV.

To your point, getting there with 4 rushers often requires trade-offs to disguise where the pressure is coming from. That means you get LBs isolated on TEs or even WRs and smaller DBs having to win against larger blockers, etc.

I mean, you nailed it. The whole thing is a race to see if the pass rush can get to the QB before he goes through his reads because in the NFL, someone is open on almost every play.

polamalubeast
09-26-2018, 05:51 PM
It means that some players have not made the Job against Tampa Bay .... I'm talking about 25 and 24

I'm glad that Tomlin and Butler have corrected this major problem and I hope that it will be the case in the next few games too ... Will it happen? we will see

For the pass rush, yes it's very important, but if the QB sees a receiver wide open at its first reading as it happens often against the chiefs, it's almost impossible to put pressure on the QB.

polamalubeast
09-27-2018, 09:04 AM
The pressure is not the problem for this defense right now.....the coverage is...

Fire Goodell
09-27-2018, 12:08 PM
Haden is the glue in the secondary. The difference is like night and day when he's out there.

I mean the coverage still sucks balls, but the secondary looks at least halfway competent when he's in the lineup