PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Season Predictions after Tampa...

Renegade
09-25-2018, 11:48 PM
Sadly, the easy part of the schedule is over... and we rest at 1-1-1. My predictions forthwith...

Vs Ravens L (Steelers have dominated the rivalry the past 2 years, expect an angry Ravens team and Flacco to light up the sky.) 1-2-1
Vs Falcons W (Day game, Heinz Field, Steelers get back to the win column on a fun sunday. This game will not be close.) 2-2-1
at Bengals W (Big Ben wins a shootout.)3-2-1
vs Browns W (Steelers defeat Baker Mayfield... hopefully. This will be a nailbiter. Boswell gets the game winner.) 4-2-1
at Ravens L (Baltimore is just a little more disciplined this year. Ravens by 10. At this point they probably can relax and put it in cruise control.) 4-3-1
Vs Panthers W (Steelers win for the 4th time in 5 games to show they have improved vastly.) 5-3-1
At Jaguars L (Jacksonville has too good of a defense. Ben gets roughed up.) 5-4-1
At Broncos W (This is a tough game and Denver usually has our number. They just arent very good this year.) 6-4-1
vs Chargers W (we're at home. In LA would be a different story.) 7-4-1
At Raiders L (Oakland usually beats us, sadly. Even though they stink.) 7-5-1
Vs Patriots W (It would be nice to finally beat the Pats. They are beatable this year.) 8-5-1
At Saints L (Brees throws for 18000 yards in this game) 8-6-1
Vs Bengals W (Bengals like to Bungel) 9-6-1

That leaves us at 9-6-1. Will it be good enough for a playoff berth? I don't know. That tie in Cleveland will hurt us. 10-6 would be good enough I am sure.

teegre
09-26-2018, 06:36 AM
17-1-1

86WARD
09-26-2018, 07:39 AM
So Steelers get swept by the Ravens? Ouch...

polamalubeast
09-26-2018, 07:40 AM
8-7-1

AtlantaDan
09-26-2018, 08:35 AM
Sadly, the easy part of the schedule is over... and we rest at 1-1-1. My predictions forthwith...

Vs Falcons W (Day game, Heinz Field, Steelers get back to the win column on a fun sunday. This game will not be close.) 2-2-1.

You concede Butler's defense will be unable to stop Brees but is going to shut down the Falcons? Good luck with that

I predict we will be hearing the name Calvin Ridley (3 TDs 146 yards against Saints this past Sunday) a lot that day

Over/under for the Falcons game should be somewhere in the 60s

I stick with my preseason prediction this is around a .500 team

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/29170-Your-Bold-Prediction-for-the-2018-season-for-the-Steelers-and-for-the-NFL

7-8-1

polamalubeast
09-26-2018, 08:39 AM
You concede Butler's defense will be unable to stop Brees but is going to shut down the Falcons? Good luck with that

I predict we will be hearing the name Calvin Ridley (3 TDs 146 yards against Saints this past Sunday) a lot that day

Fortunately the defense of the falcons and saints are not very good too!

tube517
09-26-2018, 08:50 AM
7-6-3

EzraTank
09-26-2018, 09:39 AM
1-1-14

st33lersguy
09-26-2018, 09:46 AM
7-8-1

DesertSteel
09-26-2018, 11:06 AM
Looked at the schedule last night and I'm going 11-4-1. With a final record of 14-4-1.

- - - Updated - - -

You guys with losing records (if you're being serious) are way overestimating the strength of other teams. There are very few really good teams. Most teams aren't good on either side of the ball; about 8 teams are good on one side and maybe 2-3 are good on both.

Steeldude
09-26-2018, 11:10 AM
My original prediction was 9-7, which would be 8-7-1 now. I was being generous with 9-7. 7-8-1 is looking to be more realistic.

AtlantaDan
09-26-2018, 11:12 AM
Looked at the schedule last night and I'm going 11-4-1. With a final record of 14-4-1.

- - - Updated - - -

You guys with losing records (if you're being serious) are way overestimating the strength of other teams. There are very few really good teams. Most teams aren't good on either side of the ball; about 8 teams are good on one side and maybe 2-3 are good on both.

Vs Ravens W
Vs Falcons L
at Bengals L
vs Browns W
at Ravens L
Vs Panthers W
At Jaguars L
At Broncos L
vs Chargers W
At Raiders W
Vs Patriots L
At Saints L
Vs Bengals W

Or flip the Chargers to a L and the Falcons to a W if you prefer - doubtful the Steelers win both shootouts

If the Steelers are out of the playoff race in week 17 and the Bengals are playing for something that is another potential L

At my most optimistic I do not see only three more losses on that schedule

Mach1
09-26-2018, 11:26 AM
Vs Ravens W
Vs Falcons L
at Bengals L
vs Browns W
at Ravens L
Vs Panthers W
At Jaguars L
At Broncos L
vs Chargers W
At Raiders W
Vs Patriots L
At Saints L
Vs Bengals W

Or flip the Chargers to a L and the Falcons to a W if you prefer - doubtful the Steelers win both shootouts

If the Steelers are out of the playoff race in week 17 and the Bengals are playing for something that is another potential L

Fairly close to what I was thinking but that Raiders games might be another one in the L column. If the history of "playing down" to other teams holds true again this year.

Moose
09-26-2018, 11:34 AM
With this team's play this year, I only look at 1 game at a time. I do think that 10 win's takes our division and that tie with Cleveland will definitely hurt and haunt us. As far as this week and Raven's......tough to forecast outcome, but we definitely have to score TD's since the Boz is in the clouds now for some reason and our defense is shit. Thing to worry about with the Ratbirds.....they are 12 for 12 in Red zone......they get there-they score ! UGH

polamalubeast
09-26-2018, 11:36 AM
With this team's play this year, I only look at 1 game at a time. I do think that 10 win's takes our division and that tie with Cleveland will definitely hurt and haunt us. As far as this week and Raven's......tough to forecast outcome, but we definitely have to score TD's since the Boz is in the clouds now for some reason and our defense is shit. Thing to worry about with the Ratbirds.....they are 12 for 12 in Red zone......they get there-they score ! UGH

at least,the steelers offense are 7/8 in the Red Zone this year after 3 games.

Dwinsgames
09-26-2018, 11:48 AM
with this defense .....

I am not counting on them stopping ANYONE

and will not even consider guessing a record for just that reason ..

Ben and the boys will outscore some teams but I fear thats basically what every win will consist of how many times we go 30+ but more specifically 35+ because I am not comfortable with this defensive unit holding the opposition under 30 on any week so simply scoring 30 ourselves may not be enough ...

but knock yourselves out I will lurk and keep my fingers

:crossed:

polamalubeast
09-26-2018, 11:53 AM
With the way that Roethlisberger played in the last two games, the steelers can beat every teams in their schedule .... I mean, they lost by only 5 points against the chiefs, even if our defense was a disaster.

But on the other side, no win is in the bag in our schedule with the way our defense plays right now.....

silver & black
09-26-2018, 11:59 AM
If you think the Raiders' defense can stop the Steelers' offense...LOL!

Fire Goodell
09-26-2018, 12:36 PM
If you think the Raiders' defense can stop the Steelers' offense...LOL!

If you think the Steelers defense can stop ANYBODY... Hell Tyrod Taylor passed for almost 300 vs us in a monsoon lmao.

In any case I'm not looking at the rest of the season. I think the ravens series will be a split, our defense will lose us games, but we have Big Ben

Renegade
09-26-2018, 12:37 PM

I stick with my preseason prediction this is around a .500 team

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/29170-Your-Bold-Prediction-for-the-2018-season-for-the-Steelers-and-for-the-NFL

7-8-1

Falcons just do not impress me. Heinz Field, I like the matchup. In Atlanta, probably a different story. Through 3 games, Atlanta's offense looked good 2 times at home and bad on the road. Steelers through 3, had an awful offensive game in Cleveland yet still managed to score 21 and put up 37 at home and 30 on the road. Defense doesn't always travel with any team, the Steelers offense looks like it might. So, for these reasons, I think on this day the Steelers score more points than Atlanta.

DesertSteel
09-26-2018, 01:20 PM
Vs Ravens W
Vs Falcons L
at Bengals L
vs Browns W
at Ravens L
Vs Panthers W
At Jaguars L
At Broncos L
vs Chargers W
At Raiders W
Vs Patriots L
At Saints L
Vs Bengals W

Vs Ravens W
Vs Falcons W
at Bengals W
vs Browns W
at Ravens L
Vs Panthers W
At Jaguars L
At Broncos W
vs Chargers W
At Raiders W
Vs Patriots W
At Saints L
Vs Bengals W

11-4-1

In case you folks haven't noticed, the NFL is a game of 3-4 seasons within a season. Season 1 was bad, but the pieces are in place to get hot. I believe that even the D has the potential to be middle of the road; which means the O can carry them. IIRC, the Patriots won the Super Bowl with the 29th ranked defense a couple years ago.

GBMelBlount
09-26-2018, 01:38 PM
Vs Ravens W
Vs Falcons W
at Bengals W
vs Browns W
at Ravens L
Vs Panthers W
At Jaguars L
At Broncos W
vs Chargers W
At Raiders W
Vs Patriots W
At Saints L
Vs Bengals W

11-4-1

In case you folks haven't noticed, the NFL is a game of 3-4 seasons within a season.

Season 1 was bad, but the pieces are in place to get hot. I believe that even the D has the potential to be middle of the road; which means the O can carry them.

IIRC, the Patriots won the Super Bowl with the 29th ranked defense a couple years ago.

I am in agreement.

I think the defense (barring a lot of injuries) could gel and be decent.

Still concerned about LB depth.

AtlantaDan
09-26-2018, 01:50 PM
Vs Ravens W
Vs Falcons W
at Bengals W
vs Browns W
at Ravens L
Vs Panthers W
At Jaguars L
At Broncos W
vs Chargers W
At Raiders W
Vs Patriots W
At Saints L
Vs Bengals W

11-4-1

In case you folks haven't noticed, the NFL is a game of 3-4 seasons within a season. Season 1 was bad, but the pieces are in place to get hot. I believe that even the D has the potential to be middle of the road; which means the O can carry them. IIRC, the Patriots won the Super Bowl with the 29th ranked defense a couple years ago.

Our differences of opinion are going to be tested pretty quickly in the next three weeks :drink:

Moose
09-26-2018, 02:00 PM
Defense wins ....in playoffs especially. Our defense makes every opponent QB look like Brady. Ben can't always be putting up 35 pts.

polamalubeast
09-26-2018, 02:02 PM
Defense wins ....in playoffs especially. Our defense makes every opponent QB look like Brady. Ben can't always be putting up 35 pts.

I agree...It's not easy in offense when you have no room for error

Our defense will have to be better quickly

Steeler-in-west
09-26-2018, 02:11 PM
12-3-1, were going to lose only one more time at Heinz field, and Ben will get revenge against the jags and pats. Team will gell and start hiting their stride down the stretch and all our early season rantings will seem silly.

Post season is another story, I don’t want to make any predictions on that.

steel striker
09-26-2018, 02:32 PM
I hate to admit this but, I think this season is going to be a rollercoaster ride!

Craic
09-26-2018, 02:46 PM

Not really. Perhaps twenty, thirty years ago. Look at the teams last year.

Defensive stats per team

Jags: Yards per Play, Tied for first. yards per pass attempt, 1st. They lose in the AFCCG.
Vikings: first in rushing yards per attempt. 2nd in yards per pass attempt. Tied for first in yards per play. Lost AFCCG
Denver: Tied for 3rd in YPP, 1st in Yards per pass attempt. Tied for 17th (middle of the road) in Net yards per pass attempt. Didn't make playoffs.
Arizona Cardinals: Tied for 3rd in YPP, Tied for 12 in Net Yards Pass per attempt. 3rd in Rush yards per attempt. Didn't make playoffs.

The first two teams had arguably the best defenses in the NFL. Neither of them even made it to the superbowl whereas the Eagles had the overall seventh best in YPP (tied with the Bengals who didn't even make the playoffs, eighth in pass per yard, and seventh in rush yards. Then, there's New England. Tied for 30th in rush D. tied for 20th in pass D, and tied for 28th in pass D. Yet, at the end of the third quarter only 3 points separated them.

It's been pretty clear for quite a while that in today's NFL, offenses win championships. Defenses just have to be middle-of-the-road or better.

DesertSteel
09-26-2018, 03:28 PM
Our differences of opinion are going to be tested pretty quickly in the next three weeks :drink:
And we’ll both be happier if I’m right :)

DesertSteel
09-26-2018, 09:39 PM
Think about it... After a whole 3 weeks, there are ONLY 3 teams that are undefeated. I'm not sure what the record low is after 3 weeks, but this has to be close. And yet, so many are acting like the Steelers are the only flawed team.

Edman
09-26-2018, 09:42 PM
At this rate, 8-7-1 at best.

Defense running like diarrhea, a yippy Boswell who can't kick anymore, and hoping for Ben heroics every week isn't sustainable for 16 games.

teegre
09-26-2018, 10:03 PM
With the way that Roethlisberger played in the last two games, the steelers can beat every teams in their schedule .... I mean, they lost by only 5 points against the chiefs, even if our defense was a disaster.

But on the other side, no win is in the bag in our schedule with the way our defense plays right now.....

:nod: You are 100% correct.

BROWNS:
Boswell cost us 3 points and a win (despite a shoddy overall performance).

CHIEFS:
Boswell cost us 4 points and possibly a win (despite a shoddy defense).

BUCS:
Boswell cost us 4 points and made it too close (despite an up-&-down night for the defense).

Renegade
09-26-2018, 11:25 PM
12-3-1, were going to lose only one more time at Heinz field, and Ben will get revenge against the jags and pats. Team will gell and start hiting their stride down the stretch and all our early season rantings will seem silly.

Post season is another story, I don’t want to make any predictions on that.

This sounds very possible. And I'm not too worried about the tie. You can never take away a loss, but you can always add a win. In that game we played bad enough to get creamed, but instead tied. Very lucky and I do not think it will hurt us. 12-3-1 should be good enough for a division title. Maybe a loss in Baltimore or Oakland, then a loss at home to a red-hot Chargers team, I think a win this Sunday night, and vengence on Pats and Jags would bode very well.

EzraTank
09-27-2018, 09:08 AM
The way I see the rest of the schedule is a bit different. I look at it as not what team we play, but what QB plays our defense and can Ben & company keep up and outscore them.

Week#4: Joe Flacco. Ravens D vs Ben = Loss.
Week#5: Matt Ryan. Atlanta D vs Ben = Win.
Wee k#6: Andy Dalton. Bengals D vs Ben = Loss.
Week#7: Baker Mayfield (R). Browns D vs Ben = Win.
Week#8: Joe Flacco. Ravens D vs Ben = Loss.
Week#9 : Cam Newton. Panthers D vs Ben = Loss.
Week#10: Blake Bortles. Jags D (on road) vs Ben = Loss (close game high scoring).
Week#11: Case Keenum. Broncos D vs Ben = Loss.
Week#12: Phillip Rivers: Chargers D vs Ben = Loss (close high scoring game, Rivers absolutely shreds our secondary).
Week#13: Derek Carr: Ben vs Raiders D = Win.
Week#14: Tom Brady. LOL, we all know how this always ends = Loss.
Week#15: Drew Brees. We very well might see the first 600+ yard passing game ever. Loss.
Week#16: Andy Dalton. Home game to save face = Win.

5-10-1

fansince'76
09-27-2018, 09:12 AM

This. The Chiefs are the only team I've seen that looks like the real deal and even their defense can be scored on fairly easily. And for as bad as the Steelers defense is, I consider the offense to be top-3, which kinda makes it a wash.

DesertSteel
09-27-2018, 09:18 AM
This. The Chiefs are the only team I've seen that looks like the real deal and even their defense can be scored on fairly easily. And for as bad as the Steelers defense is, I consider the offense to be top-3, which kinda makes it a wash.
And we have to remember how great the Chiefs looked last year at 5-0 before they barely made the playoffs. Things change over the course of the season. Some teams improve while others get exposed.

- - - Updated - - -

5-10-1
The sad part is that I think you're being serious. If Ben stays healthy, there is zero chance the Steelers lose 10 games. There are too many flawed teams for that to happen.

EzraTank
09-27-2018, 09:33 AM
I was being semi-serious. :)

I think we probably pull two more wins out somewhere with Ben magic but 7-8-1 or 8-7-1 is probably tops for this team with our current defense. Now if for some reason Bell comes back that could add a win or two but I just don't see Bell coming back.

Steeler-in-west
09-27-2018, 09:55 AM
About the postseason, if Tomlin is not looking past our upcoming opponent and no one on the team is doing a mike Mitchell impersonation I like our chances

86WARD
09-27-2018, 10:14 AM
If the defense stands as is, they don’t sniff the playoffs.

DesertSteel
09-27-2018, 10:21 AM
I was being semi-serious. :)

I think we probably pull two more wins out somewhere with Ben magic but 7-8-1 or 8-7-1 is probably tops for this team with our current defense. Now if for some reason Bell comes back that could add a win or two but I just don't see Bell coming back.
There's no way I could ever be so pessimistic about a team with one loss after 3 games. This forum should be renamed Steelers Overreaction Universe.

tube517
09-27-2018, 10:23 AM
There's no way I could ever be so pessimistic about a team with one loss after 3 games. This forum should be renamed Steelers Overreaction Universe.

You haven't been in this forum that long :chuckle:

This (and some other Steeler forums) is pessimism central.

DesertSteel
09-27-2018, 10:35 AM

I've been on Steelers forums for 14 years and been a Steelers fan since the 70's. But it still never ceases to amaze me LOL.

tube517
09-27-2018, 10:43 AM
I've been on Steelers forums for 14 years and been a Steelers fan since the 70's. But it still never ceases to amaze me LOL.

I know.

I am in an "Old fashioned" forum (Yahoo list going back to the 90s) and those people are even worse and more pessimistic. It's like the gameday thread 24/7 :lol:

Fire Goodell
09-27-2018, 11:02 AM

PLAYOFFS!? I just hope we can win a game, another game

DesertSteel
09-27-2018, 11:13 AM
I know.

I am in an "Old fashioned" forum (Yahoo list going back to the 90s) and those people are even worse and more pessimistic. It's like the gameday thread 24/7 :lol:
I tried to do the game threads over at Steelers Fever. It almost made me become a Browns’ fan lol.

FrancoLambert
09-27-2018, 03:59 PM

C’mon guys....that’s what people do......they complain.
Sports just magnifies it. 😀

DesertSteel
09-27-2018, 04:01 PM
Oh no!!! Don't look now, but the "most complete team in football" - the KC Chiefs are dead last in team defense: 32nd. They are worse than the Steelers in yards allowed (474/410) and points allowed (30.7/30.0). And the Chiefs are going to the Super Bowl with their defense but the Steelers are going 5-10-1 with theirs.............. hmm

polamalubeast
09-27-2018, 05:35 PM
Oh no!!! Don't look now, but the "most complete team in football" - the KC Chiefs are dead last in team defense: 32nd. They are worse than the Steelers in yards allowed (474/410) and points allowed (30.7/30.0). And the Chiefs are going to the Super Bowl with their defense but the Steelers are going 5-10-1 with theirs.............. hmm

The only team that look unbeatable in the NFL right now are the Rams ... it can change too.

I do not trust the chiefs right now because of their defense ..... Their offense will not end the year with 38 points per game .... the AFC is wide open right now, but the steelers not have a good start. ... they must win against the ravens otherwise they are in trouble.

st33lersguy
09-27-2018, 06:35 PM
The only team that look unbeatable in the NFL right now are the Rams ... it can change too.

I do not trust the chiefs right now because of their defense ..... Their offense will not end the year with 38 points per game .... the AFC is wide open right now, but the steelers not have a good start. ... they must win against the ravens otherwise they are in trouble.

Agreed, the Rams look like the only truly well rounded and complete team in the NFL, everyone else looks very vulnerable/is struggling. Even the Rams now just suffered injuries to their 2 starting CBs so they may struggle now.

The AFC looks even more of a trainwreck than even I thought these first 3 weeks. The Chiefs with the worst defense in the league are still probably the best team in the AFC based on what Mahomes. Who else is there? The Jags with Bortles' inconsistencies, the Cheats have disappointed so far (they'll get it together though, they always do). The Ratbirds may very well be the 2nd best team right now, it is an incredibly weak conference. Pretty sad when the only other team in the conference undefeated are the Dolphins who are complete frauds whose record is built on close wins against bad teams

Steeler-in-west
09-27-2018, 09:23 PM
This sounds very possible. And I'm not too worried about the tie. You can never take away a loss, but you can always add a win. In that game we played bad enough to get creamed, but instead tied. Very lucky and I do not think it will hurt us. 12-3-1 should be good enough for a division title. Maybe a loss in Baltimore or Oakland, then a loss at home to a red-hot Chargers team, I think a win this Sunday night, and vengence on Pats and Jags would bode very well.

pats and jags look beatable. And I think once we get Gilbert and Decastro back the running game and offense as a whole will look better and better, not to mention AB is going to start rolling as well.

i think the defense will settle down and look better as well with Burnet coming in and strengthening the backfield and perhaps Sutton being the answer over Burns. I think we’re seeing the defense at its worst these first few games.

Could be wrong but you asked for predictions and that’s mine. Steelers just have too much talent to go 500 or worse. This is all baring significant injuries too.

Renegade
09-27-2018, 11:23 PM
pats and jags look beatable. And I think once we get Gilbert and Decastro back the running game and offense as a whole will look better and better, not to mention AB is going to start rolling as well.

i think the defense will settle down and look better as well with Burnet coming in and strengthening the backfield and perhaps Sutton being the answer over Burns. I think we’re seeing the defense at its worst these first few games.

Could be wrong but you asked for predictions and that’s mine. Steelers just have too much talent to go 500 or worse. This is all baring significant injuries too.

And this is exactly right... ultimately, talent will bail out sloppiness in the regular season. Then, all they have to do is get buttoned up for the playoffs!

EzraTank
09-28-2018, 10:44 AM

I like your passion but if you look at this current team without black/gold glasses what 86WARD said is 100% true:

Unless we do something on defense this team is not making the playoffs. Yes 1-1-1 isn't the end of the world but let's break this down:

Game #1: We blow a big lead to the worst team of the past two years and tie.
Game #2: A rookie QB lights us up at home.
Game #3: A journeyman QB gifts us a game with a horrible first half. Had their been 5 more minutes in that game we probably lose.

With this current defense and veteran guys like, Brees, Brady, Flacco (twice), Newton, Ryan, Dalton (twice), Rivers all waiting to face them ... sorry logic wins this debate.

86WARD
09-28-2018, 11:00 AM
If Mayfield was playing Week One, that would’ve went down as a loss for Pittsburgh...

DesertSteel
09-28-2018, 12:53 PM
I like your passion but if you look at this current team without black/gold glasses what 86WARD said is 100% true:

To be honest, I think it's you who has filtered glasses on in order to protect yourself from disappointment. The national media, including former team execs, still have the Steelers as a team to beat in the AFC. Both EPSN and NFL rankings still have them at #7. Me thinking they're going to make the playoffs is hardly black and gold glasses. It's called a rational perspective.

Game #1: We blow a big lead to the worst team of the past two years and tie. A GAME THAT WE WIN IF BOSWELL DOES HIS JOB. THE BROWNS ALWAYS GIVE US A TOUGH GAME AT THEIR PLACE.
Game #2: A rookie QB lights us up at home. A ROOKIE QB THAT IS LIGHTING EVERYONE UP.
Game #3: A journeyman QB gifts us a game with a horrible first half. Had their been 5 more minutes in that game we probably lose. WE WON---GET OVER IT.

Bluecoat96
09-28-2018, 01:12 PM
What's this rookie QB talk? Mahommes is a 2nd year QB with crazy talent. Even if he's a first year starter, spending a year in a NFL camp is a lot different than a pure rookie starting right out of the gate.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Fire Goodell
09-28-2018, 01:13 PM
After watching the Rams - Vikings, I'm starting to wonder with all these league rules catering to offense, is the days of a defense holding a good offense to under 20 a thing of the past? I mean the Vikings defense was one of the best I've seen last year, and the Rams just shredded them badly. If that was the Steelers we'd be on here talking about how every player on the defensive roster is trash and Butler shouldn't even be let back on the plane (yeah that'd be me as far as butler goes lol).

It just seems like currently the top offenses are just having their way with everyone

DesertSteel
09-28-2018, 01:35 PM
New NFL: Good defenses only work on bad offenses.

Mojouw
09-28-2018, 02:26 PM
After watching the Rams - Vikings, I'm starting to wonder with all these league rules catering to offense, is the days of a defense holding a good offense to under 20 a thing of the past? I mean the Vikings defense was one of the best I've seen last year, and the Rams just shredded them badly. If that was the Steelers we'd be on here talking about how every player on the defensive roster is trash and Butler shouldn't even be let back on the plane (yeah that'd be me as far as butler goes lol).

It just seems like currently the top offenses are just having their way with everyone

Offenses are so far ahead of the curve. Scheme and play design is giving the QBs the answer to the test ahead of time.

Defenses are doing the same old stuff against offenses specifically designed to destroy the same old stuff.

The NFL is the Big 12 on offense now.

polamalubeast
09-28-2018, 03:02 PM
If Mayfield was playing Week One, that would’ve went down as a loss for Pittsburgh...

If Ben had a average game,we win!

If,if,if

- - - Updated - - -

Defensive stats per team

Jags: Yards per Play, Tied for first. yards per pass attempt, 1st. They lose in the AFCCG.
Vikings: first in rushing yards per attempt. 2nd in yards per pass attempt. Tied for first in yards per play. Lost AFCCG
Denver: Tied for 3rd in YPP, 1st in Yards per pass attempt. Tied for 17th (middle of the road) in Net yards per pass attempt. Didn't make playoffs.
Arizona Cardinals: Tied for 3rd in YPP, Tied for 12 in Net Yards Pass per attempt. 3rd in Rush yards per attempt. Didn't make playoffs.

The first two teams had arguably the best defenses in the NFL. Neither of them even made it to the superbowl whereas the Eagles had the overall seventh best in YPP (tied with the Bengals who didn't even make the playoffs, eighth in pass per yard, and seventh in rush yards. Then, there's New England. Tied for 30th in rush D. tied for 20th in pass D, and tied for 28th in pass D. Yet, at the end of the third quarter only 3 points separated them.

It's been pretty clear for quite a while that in today's NFL, offenses win championships. Defenses just have to be middle-of-the-road or better.

A champion team must win in many ways against the good teams

The 4 teams in the final four were in the top 10 in PPG ..... The eagles had won 15-10 against the falcons and they only allowed 7 points against the Vikings the week after.

Under Belichick, the Pats have only given 30 points or more in a playoff games in 38 games

Fire Goodell
09-28-2018, 03:42 PM
If Ben had a average game,we win!

If,if,if

Who knows, Mayfield doesn't have experience throwing in monsoon conditions, so maybe he does just as bad as Tyrod without having his athletic ability to take off and run. So they possibly lose out on those 7 points and yardage gained by Tyrod's legs. Which would mean a win for the steelers? lol who knows.

With those weather conditions I don't think any qb would have had a good day. Mayfield could have very well thrown as many INTs as Ben. TJ Watt and Bud Dupree were getting into the backfield on every play, and it was Tyrod being able to take off and run away from pressure that kept their drives alive.

st33lersguy
09-28-2018, 04:58 PM

Defensive stats per team

You still need a solid defense. Eagles probably don't win the Super Bowl without their defense. Really can't imagine the Eagles 7th ranked defense vs the Pats 30th ranked defense didn't have much of a difference in Nick Foles beating Tom Brady in a shootout. Also you want to talk about how the NFL's no. 1 total offense and 28th ranked total defense lost in the Super Bowl to a team ranked in the top 10 in both categories while starting their backup QB? Or about how the NFL's no. 1 scoring offense in the Rams last year couldn't make it past the wildcard round?

Mojouw
09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Watch the darn games is all I can say. No one consistently stops good offenses anymore. For me the most telling defensive stats for playoff and SB teams is turnovers and pressure rate.

Defenses can not win championships on their own anymore. Full stop. But they can help your offense win a championship. How? Generate extra possessions via turnover. And get a limited number of stops on defense via pass rush - the ONLY way to stop a good modern NFL offense.

That means you just have to be around league average on defense. And be able to score a ton of points on offense.

DesertSteel
09-29-2018, 10:07 AM
Watch the darn games is all I can say. No one consistently stops good offenses anymore. For me the most telling defensive stats for playoff and SB teams is turnovers and pressure rate.

Defenses can not win championships on their own anymore. Full stop. But they can help your offense win a championship. How? Generate extra possessions via turnover. And get a limited number of stops on defense via pass rush - the ONLY way to stop a good modern NFL offense.

That means you just have to be around league average on defense. And be able to score a ton of points on offense.
That's why I have hope for this season. I believe the defense can be average at some point. If Ben, Brown and JuJu stay healthy, the offense is going to click.

EzraTank
09-29-2018, 11:50 AM
I guess we'll find out at the end of the year.

st33lersguy
09-29-2018, 02:26 PM
Maybe the defense can look average and even good for a few weeks against weak offenses, but can they be average or better when it matters in the postseason? We saw the defense do good for a stretch of a few weeks against weak Os, but fall apart in the postseason.

The problem starts with the defensive coaching from the D Coordinator down to the position coaches, and as a result, the players aren't playing good. This team will not win a Super Bowl until Keith Butler is replaced with a top tier DC that can run a tight ship. Seen too much of this in 3 seasons and 3 games to think it will magically come together

polamalubeast
09-29-2018, 02:35 PM

Sometimes you need your defense to a big game or just a big play to win

Last year, the Eagles won 15-10 against the Falcons ... Without their defense they lose against the falcons ..... Against the Pats, their defense was bad in the second half, but they made the big play when it was time ... but of course, Foles and their offense deserves credit for this victory

Even against the Vikings, they won 38-7 but the pick 6 that the eagles did at the beginning of the game changed the game...But is the steelers' defense capable of having a big performance in a big game against a good offense with a good QB like the eagles did against the falcons?

For the moment, I do not think.

86WARD
09-29-2018, 03:23 PM

Agree. Offenses are favored by the rule books and they are so far advanced that defenses can’t keep up and when they do get an upper hand, the league creates a rule to stop them.

EzraTank
09-30-2018, 10:34 PM
Anyone still think my 5-10-1 call is way off now?

All it takes is a veteran QB that protects the ball and you can score on this defense.

st33lersguy
09-30-2018, 10:41 PM

All it takes is a veteran QB that protects the ball and you can score on this defense.

Not me, at this pace it is more reasonable than playoffs. It is amazing how bad this team is playing

DesertSteel
09-30-2018, 10:43 PM

I actually still do. I'm not saying that don't suck right now, but I just think a lot of other teams suck too.

86WARD
09-30-2018, 10:44 PM
I actually still do. I'm not saying that don't suck right now, but I just think a lot of other teams suck too.

Schedule gets way harder than it’s been...lol.

DesertSteel
09-30-2018, 10:45 PM
Schedule gets way harder than it’s been...lol.
Harder? Level of competition is kind of irrelevant when it comes to the Steelers.

Edman
09-30-2018, 10:46 PM
I'm still sticking with 8-7-1 at best.

This team ain't getting any higher than eight wins this year, and I'm being generous.

Shoes
09-30-2018, 10:50 PM
Last place in the division is reserved for the Steelers this year.

86WARD
09-30-2018, 10:52 PM
Harder? Level of competition is kind of irrelevant when it comes to the Steelers.

This year is different...they’re bottom feeders...lol. Played level to the Browns, lost to the Chiefs, beat the Fraud Tampa,team and then lost the second of many division losses,

AtlantaDan
09-30-2018, 10:59 PM
Clubber Lane’s prediction for the 2018 Steelers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPNQ82Sq4E

DesertSteel
09-30-2018, 11:13 PM
This year is different...they’re bottom feeders...lol. Played level to the Browns, lost to the Chiefs, beat the Fraud Tampa,team and then lost the second of many division losses,
All I have on a night like this is........

Go Irish!

EzraTank
10-01-2018, 08:07 AM
Believe me Desert I don't want them to finish 5-10-1 but it's just what I see. I mean our defense is clueless. They stand around waiting for the runner to come to them, they get trucked, it's just so sad after watching the Steelers defenses of the past.

This team needs new coaching. Tomlin needs to go along with his staff. Get rid of "ME FIRST" guys if you need to. How many times did Ben force a bad ball to AB last night?

It's just disheartening to watch.

AtlantaDan
10-01-2018, 08:20 AM
Believe me Desert I don't want them to finish 5-10-1 but it's just what I see. I mean our defense is clueless. They stand around waiting for the runner to come to them, they get trucked, it's just so sad after watching the Steelers defenses of the past.

This team needs new coaching. Tomlin needs to go along with his staff. Get rid of "ME FIRST" guys if you need to. How many times did Ben force a bad ball to AB last night?

It's just disheartening to watch.

So far the worst season since 8-8 in 2013 (0-4 start that bottomed out for me at 2-6 with the 55-31 blowout loss in New England that confirmed Troy was done as far as being able to cover anyone). Unlike 2013 this season has the vibe of falling apart rather than rebounding.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/2013.htm

If the Steelers go 5-10-1 you might get your wish if this comment by Ray Fittipaldo in his P-G chat after the Chiefs loss pans out

In your true opinion. If they go say 5-10-1, chances than Tomlin is finally out
Ray Fittipaldo: If they go 5-10-1 he might get canned.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/09/17/ray-fittipaldo-steelers-chat-9-17-18/stories/201809170086

DesertSteel
10-29-2018, 11:23 AM

Are you still sticking with your 5-10-1 prediction?

polamalubeast
11-01-2018, 06:51 AM
10-5-1...3rd seed in the AFC.

DesertSteel
11-01-2018, 10:30 AM
10-5-1...3rd seed in the AFC.
I think that's doable even if they lose Sunday, which I don't think they will.

GoSlash27
11-01-2018, 11:42 AM
We've got to keep in mind that our schedule will be tougher in the second half of the season than it has been up to now. Our current record was against 4 teams with losing records and 3 with wining records or ties. Of that latter group, we've only beaten one. Moving forward, we face 3 losers and 6 winners.
Best,
-Slashy

EzraTank
11-01-2018, 01:17 PM
The way I see the rest of the schedule is a bit different. I look at it as not what team we play, but what QB plays our defense and can Ben & company keep up and outscore them.

Week#4: Joe Flacco. Ravens D vs Ben = Loss. (HOME)
Week#5: Matt Ryan. Atlanta D vs Ben = Win. (HOME)
Wee k#6: Andy Dalton. Bengals D vs Ben = Loss. (AWAY)
Week#7: Baker Mayfield (R). Browns D vs Ben = Win. (HOME)
Week#8: Joe Flacco. Ravens D vs Ben = Loss. (AWAY)
Week#9 : Cam Newton. Panthers D vs Ben = Loss. (HOME)
Week#10: Blake Bortles. Jags D (on road) vs Ben = Loss (close game high scoring). (AWAY)
Week#11: Case Keenum. Broncos D vs Ben = Loss. (AWAY)
Week#12: Phillip Rivers: Chargers D vs Ben = Loss (close high scoring game, Rivers absolutely shreds our secondary). (HOME)
Week#13: Derek Carr: Ben vs Raiders D = Win. (AWAY)
Week#14: Tom Brady. LOL, we all know how this always ends = Loss. (HOME)
Week#15: Drew Brees. We very well might see the first 600+ yard passing game ever. Loss. (AWAY)
Week#16: Andy Dalton. Home game to save face = Win. (HOME)

5-10-1

So far I'm only one game off. The next five games are brutal. If they want to prove me wrong here's the spot!

DesertSteel
11-01-2018, 01:26 PM
So far I'm only one game off. The next five games are brutal. If they want to prove me wrong here's the spot!
So you're sticking with it............ OK :)

EzraTank
11-01-2018, 01:45 PM
So you're sticking with it............ OK :)

I might go 7-8-1 but that's my final offer! :chuckle:

Fire Goodell
11-01-2018, 02:08 PM
Baltimore and Jacksonville worry me the most. Baltimore is always tough to beat in their house, and we always seem to shit the bed whenever playing at JAX. The one thing going for that game is the hot weather won't be a factor, being a night game.

I have bad memories of playing the Raiders in LA as well. They're a dumpster fire of a team, but so were most of the times we've played them and ended up losing. I personally hate John Gruden and hope Juju goes for 150 yards and a couple scores, and knocks out their starting linebacker :chuckle:

st33lersguy
11-01-2018, 02:55 PM
Starting at this point is teams they have recently not done well against. I originally had them starting 6-1 and finishing 9-7.

GBMelBlount
11-01-2018, 06:00 PM
Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel 9-26-18

Vs Ravens W
Vs Falcons W
at Bengals W
vs Browns W
at Ravens L
Vs Panthers W
At Jaguars L
At Broncos W
vs Chargers W
At Raiders W
Vs Patriots W
At Saints L
Vs Bengals W

11-4-1

In case you folks haven't noticed, the NFL is a game of 3-4 seasons within a season.

Season 1 was bad, but the pieces are in place to get hot. I believe that even the D has the potential to be middle of the road; which means the O can carry them.

IIRC, the Patriots won the Super Bowl with the 29th ranked defense a couple years ago.

GBMelbount 9-26-18

I am in agreement.

I think the defense (barring a lot of injuries) could gel and be decent.

Still concerned about LB depth.

Thankful the Steelers got it together before mid season!

While there is still half a season left, the Steelers to tend to finish strong and their young talent is starting to gel.

Very excited about the rest of the season!:tt03:

AtlantaDan
11-01-2018, 06:18 PM
Vs Ravens W
Vs Falcons L
at Bengals L
vs Browns W
at Ravens L
Vs Panthers W
At Jaguars L
At Broncos L
vs Chargers W
At Raiders W
Vs Patriots L
At Saints L
Vs Bengals W

I called 3 of the past 4 games wrong but in terms of the final record still may not be far off

I overestimated how good the Falcons, Jags and Broncos would be but probably underestimated how good the Chargers and Panthers would be

It will take winning this Sunday against a desperate Ravens team to convince me the 3 wins since the Tampa game provide any real hope for getting through the second half meat grinder of a schedule to make the playoffs

And we all know there is another unfathomably bad performance against a mediocre or bad team lurking in the next 2 months

GBMelBlount
11-01-2018, 06:37 PM
I called 3 of the past 4 games wrong but in terms of the final record still may not be far off

I overestimated how good the Falcons, Jags and Broncos would be but probably underestimated how good the Chargers and Panthers would be

It will take winning this Sunday against a desperate Ravens team to convince me the 3 wins since the Tampa game provide any real hope for getting through the second half meat grinder of a schedule to make the playoffs

And we all know there is another unfathomably bad performance against a mediocre or bad team lurking in the next 2 months

Understood.

However Ben tends to thrive as the underdog or in response to a prior loss...

and if he breaks another finger or gets his nose busted (the latter of which happened during a Ravens game I believe?), the odds are arguably even better!:chuckle:

That being said, next to the Pats, I consider the Ravens are toughest foe.

polamalubeast
11-04-2018, 07:21 PM
4 wins in a row and 3 of his games it was against the falcons (by far their worst game of the year for Atlanta),the 5-3 Bengals who was 4-1 at this time and the Ravens in Baltimore.

GoSlash27
11-04-2018, 07:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that anybody in this thread who predicted a poor season will be thrilled to be proven wrong ;)

Having said that, the rest of our schedule *is* pretty brutal; much tougher than the first half. If we make the playoffs, we will definitely deserve to be there.

polamalubeast
11-04-2018, 07:35 PM
I'm pretty sure that anybody in this thread who predicted a poor season will be thrilled to be proven wrong ;)

Having said that, the rest of our schedule *is* pretty brutal; much tougher than the first half. If we make the playoffs, we will definitely deserve to be there.

I think it's a good thing that the steelers are challenged for the second half since the steelers will be more ready for the playoffs if they are there.

10 wins should be enough to win the division .... the schedule of the bengals and the ravens is not very easy too ....

Steelerchad
11-04-2018, 08:52 PM
A tough schedule is probably a good thing. Last time we won the SB we had a really tough schedule in 08.

GoSlash27
11-04-2018, 09:03 PM
A tough schedule is probably a good thing. Last time we won the SB we had a really tough schedule in 08.

Chad,
No, definitely not a good thing. It gets the team acclimated to playoff caliber opponents early, but that's about it. Tough schedules just increase the probability of injuries and losses.
Still... if we make it through this half, we can make it all the way to #7.

DesertSteel
11-04-2018, 10:53 PM
Your prediction is still holding up. All they have to do is lose 8 in a row!

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-05-2018, 09:43 AM
It starts with winning the division. Somewhere back when we were around 1-2-1 I commented that the Steelers would need to win out against their division opponents to have a good shot at winning the division. So far, they have gone 3-0 against the North and just need to get 1 more to complete the run. Its simple, win the north and get to the postseason tournament. Still a good chance at that.

AtlantaDan
11-05-2018, 09:50 AM
It starts with winning the division. Somewhere back when we were around 1-2-1 I commented that the Steelers would need to win out against their division opponents to have a good shot at winning the division. So far, they have gone 3-0 against the North and just need to get 1 more to complete the run. Its simple, win the north and get to the postseason tournament. Still a good chance at that.

Agreed - get one home playoff game and see how it breaks from there.

After spending the second half of last season fixating on getting the #1 seed and a first round bye (followed by the Jax playoff cluster), I am just glad the season is still alive and focused on winning the division.

polamalubeast
11-05-2018, 04:27 PM

Fire Goodell
11-05-2018, 05:03 PM
Next 4 games are a tough stretch, but all winnable games.

CAR - bad on the road and that can possibly be magnified on a short week (Prediction: W, maybe a big W)
JAX - bought into their offseason hype and severely underachieving. Imploded after their most impressive win this season. However, talent is still there and they could be the toughest game of this stretch. (Prediction: Possible L)
DEN - Not impressive this year, but better than their record says. Lost a few games they should have won. (Prediction: W, close game. Conner should feast on their weak run D though)
LAC - Good team. It's a good thing they have to fly cross country to play us. Historically the chargers haven't fared well at Pittsburgh, though I still have nightmares of 94. (Prediction: W, likely a shootout that Ben wins in the end)

I'm calling 3-1 in this stretch

GBMelBlount
11-05-2018, 05:19 PM

Agreed.

Playing tough opponents will expose our weaknesses and better prepare us for the playoffs.

86WARD
11-05-2018, 05:56 PM
Next 4 games are a tough stretch, but all winnable games.

CAR - bad on the road and that can possibly be magnified on a short week (Prediction: W, maybe a big W)
JAX - bought into their offseason hype and severely underachieving. Imploded after their most impressive win this season. However, talent is still there and they could be the toughest game of this stretch. (Prediction: Possible L)
DEN - Not impressive this year, but better than their record says. Lost a few games they should have won. (Prediction: W, close game. Conner should feast on their weak run D though)
LAC - Good team. It's a good thing they have to fly cross country to play us. Historically the chargers haven't fared well at Pittsburgh, though I still have nightmares of 94. (Prediction: W, likely a shootout that Ben wins in the end)

I'm calling 3-1 in this stretch

I’d take 3-1 over that stretch any day. I feel like it’s either gonna go 4-0 or 2-2. Really, all of those games are toss ups...playing in Denver is never good for the Steelers, Carolina on a short week, Jacksonville being Jacksonville and Chargers. Even that Oakland game in Oakland is a questionable one...lol

Dissolv
11-05-2018, 06:26 PM
Put me down as you want some tough opponents -- in a technical football sense. Wins cover up problems and you don't see as much self-scouting following them. What you do not want is physically damaging games. Sadly, we play with the Ravens and Bengals. Honestly they also play with us, so it can be tough to maintain any AFCN team in good, injury free shape headed to the playoffs.

I am seeing the potential to run the next four. Maybe not head-to-Vegas odds, but enough to get the fan in me hoping. After all, we can finish the Ravens mainly by getting wins. Then it is just the Bengals left to bury.

st33lersguy
11-06-2018, 04:29 PM
Game-by-Game 2nd half predictions for the Steelers

Game 9 vs Panthers: The week after road victories against the Ratbirds under Tomlin, Steelers are 1-3, with their lone victory coming at home against a 4-12 Bengals team in 2010. Each time after a win at M&T bank stadium, the Steelers have come out flat (even against Cincy in 2010, they trailed 7-0 late in the 2nd quarter). They've come out flat multiple times the week after home wins as well. Winning this game seems to take a lot of energy and turning right around after a short week will be hard, especially against a solid team like the Panthers. Steelers likely fall behind big early and never recover. Steelers lose 34-20 (5-3-1)

Game 10 @ Jaguars: I probably should chalk this one up as a loss but the revenge factor is in play here, add to the fact that the Steelers defense appears at least improved and that the Jags are in a state of dysfunction and I think this can be a win. Steelers always struggle against Jacksonville, but Jacksonville is not a good team, Steelers tend to win. Offense struggles but the D at least feasts on Bortles this time. Steelers win 16-13 (6-3-1)

Game 11 @ Broncos: I don't trust this team in Denver, too many bad memories. Add this being in the western time zone and playing a bad team on the road and this is likely to be a loss. Steelers lose 24-17. (6-4-1)

Game 12 vs Chargers: This will be a shootout, but against a top tier team at home, Steelers are up to the task. Ben engineers a come-from-behind win and the Steelers win an exciting shootout 38-35. (7-4-1)

Game 13 @ Raiders: I should make this a loss, I should. A stadium where the Steelers haven't won in over 2 decades, on the west coast, a garbage ass team, coming off a big home win the week before. Somehow I am talking myself into the Steelers being good enough to find a way to win and the Raiders being hopelessly incompetent enough to mangle this up. Martavis Bryant drops a game-winning TD in OT and Steelers luck out to win 33-27 in OT (8-4-1)

Game 14 vs Patriots: Steelers get outclassed by the Patriots again. Brady torches Butler's defense again. Not much else to write about. Steelers lose 37-27 (8-5-1)

Game 15 @ Saints: Another QB that has routinely torched the defense at every chance (this time Drew Brees). Brees torches the defense and while Ben and company torch the Saints D, the Saints D forces a couple crucial turnovers. Steelers lose 35-28. (8-6-1)

Game 16 vs Bengals: The division could easily be on the line (unless the Bengals get their shit together and at least reach 10 wins at this point, unlikely). Steelers own the Bengals and this is likely to be on primetime if the division is on the line which will increase Pittsburgh's odds. Steelers D which has had a rough time recently turns it up on Dalton and Ben torches Bengals D. Steelers win 35-17

Final regular season record 9-6-1

polamalubeast
11-07-2018, 01:55 PM

pczach
11-07-2018, 04:39 PM

So over the last five years, the Steelers have gone a collective 32-8 in the second half of those seasons.

That wreaks of poor coaching on Tomlin's part.....:sarcasm2:

tube517
11-07-2018, 04:44 PM
So over the last five years, the Steelers have gone a collective 32-8 in the second half of those seasons.

That wreaks of poor coaching on Tomlin's part.....:sarcasm2:

That sounds like a bad "culture environment" of coaching! :chuckle:

pczach
11-07-2018, 04:57 PM
That sounds like a bad "culture environment" of coaching! :chuckle:

https://media.giphy.com/media/xTgeJd2Z2b5OA0H7Ik/giphy.gif

Fire Goodell
11-07-2018, 09:53 PM
What's Tomlin's record with the reflective magnum PI shades?

polamalubeast
11-09-2018, 08:39 AM
It's time to stop doubting the steelers, at least for the regular season!

Even with our tough schedule, I would be surprised if they do not win 10 games and they do not win the AFC north.

DesertSteel
11-09-2018, 08:54 AM
For all you naysayers, the worst they can do now is 6-9-1. Bummer.