PDA

View Full Version : Let's Sign Some Dirtballs from the Bargain Bin

Mojouw
09-25-2018, 03:49 PM
So Steelers have cap space and they have some under-performing players

DE/OLB John Simon - Another pass rusher?
P - Shane Lechler - the ageless wonder?
S - Eric Reid - He is better than any other safety on the roster.

"suited for a scheme that utilizes him most often near the ball and allows him to play sideline to sideline, erase tight ends in man, and cover short area zones. " -- https://www.detroitlionspodcast.com/zach-trapp/2018/01/29/free-agency-scouting-report-eric-reid/

Tell me that he wouldn't look good in that "dimebacker" role? You know, the specific f'ing package that the Steelers spent all off-season designing to get their bad in coverage ILBs off the field and now don't run because Burnett has a bum wheel and Berhe and Dangerfield are useless?

Honestly, not bringing in Simon, Reid, and any out of work punters for tryouts or a look see at this point is just stubborn and bad business. I mean Michael Vick killed and tortured dogs. Reid hasn't even committed a crime yet.

Dwinsgames
09-25-2018, 04:07 PM
they will not sign an anthem kneeler .... they simply will not do it period

I am all for Lechler and Simon have been since they first became available ...

but may as well get Reid out of your head its not going to happen

Mojouw
09-25-2018, 04:10 PM
Didn't think it would happen. But he would improve the defense - potentially a great deal.

steelreserve
09-25-2018, 04:26 PM
When we have this many DBs and LBs - many of whom theoretically have the ability to be good players - and we are still getting nowhere, I am beginning to think that the problem is something beyond just not having enough talent. Especially at DB, we have about 50 up-and-coming young talents and veteran role players there.

LB I would be more inclined to sign another body and see what happens, because we have to face the fact that the depth behind the starters is all pretty much street-level replacement players. We can keep thinking about how cool it would be if Chickillo or Makatevich became breakout talents, but unfortunately that just is not what's happening and we need to improve that. Again - it may go beyond simply not having the talent, but we are noticeably more thin at LB than DB to begin with.

Football reasons aside, count me not interested in Reid. The drama around this team is already a three-ring circus; the last thing that's needed is to be mobbed by another 500 reporters a week who want everyone to constantly think about race.

86WARD
09-25-2018, 06:06 PM
I like all of
Those players mentioned to be honest. Reid will come with drama but not as much as they are dealing with when pertaining to Bell. Tell him he’s not kneeling or distracting and sign him. All those guys can help.

BlackAndGold
09-25-2018, 06:09 PM
Reid is a better kneeler than football player.

steelcityboyz
09-25-2018, 06:10 PM
Eric Reid is a talent and would be a good fit for the steelers.. Why not bring him in and talk with him? He could be had on the cheap. I think he already said he's not doing the kneeling thing anymore..

DesertSteel
09-25-2018, 06:27 PM
What happened to all of Davis' potential??? Failure to be coached up or just a knucklehead?

smokin3000gt
09-25-2018, 06:33 PM
they will not sign an anthem kneeler .... they simply will not do it period

I am all for Lechler and Simon have been since they first became available ...

but may as well get Reid out of your head its not going to happen

reason #4539 why I love this franchise

st33lersguy
09-25-2018, 06:36 PM
They need another OLB. There are only 3 currently on the roster, and 2 get pushed out of the play the majority of their snaps

steelreserve
09-25-2018, 06:38 PM
Eric Reid is a talent and would be a good fit for the steelers.. Why not bring him in and talk with him? He could be had on the cheap. I think he already said he's not doing the kneeling thing anymore..

I thought he said that and then backtracked, saying he was making no promises.

Regardless of whether he does or does not kneel, it's going to bring along an extra circus that will not help things. There sure are a lot of distractions already, and this team does not seem particularly great at dealing with them.

Plus, as I said up above, I don't think safety is our position of greatest need or even close to it. We've got two recent draft picks penciled in as current starters and the future of the position, another young developmental guy with promise, and our veteran depth. Signing Reid is either giving up on one of the young guys (probably Davis), or a waste of time if we plan on using him as a backup. We've got backups; is the point of this to upgrade our third or fourth safety position? I would also like Berhe never to see the field on defense, but I don't think something as drastic as that is needed.

86WARD
09-27-2018, 11:07 AM
Panthers signed Reid this morning.

Mojouw
09-27-2018, 12:13 PM
Panthers signed Reid this morning.

Pats signed Simon yesterday. Watch, he'll have 17 sacks.

Shoes
09-27-2018, 01:09 PM
Pats signed Simon yesterday. Watch, he'll have 17 sacks.

and 15 flags. :chuckle:

Fire Goodell
09-27-2018, 01:11 PM
and 15 flags. :chuckle:

Nah, patriots**** players don't get flags. Announcers will be too busy ball washing Bill Belichick for being such a genius and getting the most out of his players