PDA

View Full Version : Do we have the worst home crowd in the league?

Fire Goodell
09-24-2018, 12:48 AM
I'm just curious, because when I see the Steelers playing at home, the crowd rarely ever is loud when we're on defense. And for half of the 3rd quarter it seems like half the stadium is either grabbing a beer / hot dog, or in the bathroom. Or does it have anything to do with Heinz being a more open stadium as far as the noise goes? From what I remember, TRS used to be rocking but ever since it was Heinz field the fans don't seem to bring the same energy.

steelreserve
09-24-2018, 01:11 AM
It can get super loud there, as loud as any crowd I've been in, but they filter the crowd noise hard on TV. A couple of games I went to and then watched on DVR later, I specifically went to parts that I remembered the crowd being off-the-charts jacked up for, and on TV it was so muffled it just sounded like regular background noise. It has nothing to do with how loud the stadium actually is.

The crowd is always thinat the start of the third quarter because the stadium was terribly designed as far as food and restrooms go, so it is real easy to get stuck for 20 minutes just to do one thing. On the other hand, if you leave your seat with like 20 seconds to go in the half, you can zoom through all the lines unopposed, so part of it is people not paying attention.

Fire Goodell
09-24-2018, 01:34 AM
It can get super loud there, as loud as any crowd I've been in, but they filter the crowd noise hard on TV. A couple of games I went to and then watched on DVR later, I specifically went to parts that I remembered the crowd being off-the-charts jacked up for, and on TV it was so muffled it just sounded like regular background noise. It has nothing to do with how loud the stadium actually is.

The crowd is always thinat the start of the third quarter because the stadium was terribly designed as far as food and restrooms go, so it is real easy to get stuck for 20 minutes just to do one thing. On the other hand, if you leave your seat with like 20 seconds to go in the half, you can zoom through all the lines unopposed, so part of it is people not paying attention.

Ah the filtering could be the reason it sounded like TRS was louder (technology advances lol). Never really thought of that.

Steeldude
09-24-2018, 02:01 AM
I'm just curious, because when I see the Steelers playing at home, the crowd rarely ever is loud when we're on defense. And for half of the 3rd quarter it seems like half the stadium is either grabbing a beer / hot dog, or in the bathroom. Or does it have anything to do with Heinz being a more open stadium as far as the noise goes? From what I remember, TRS used to be rocking but ever since it was Heinz field the fans don't seem to bring the same energy.

Fans are still traumatized over the Kordell experiment.

stillers4me
09-24-2018, 05:30 AM
I HATE MNF!!!! They way they manipulate the crowd noise is horrible. And the new announcers are even worse than befre. Last week made me even miss Gruden.....not sure how I'm going to be able to watch this fiasco tonight.

saturdaysarebetter
09-24-2018, 06:07 AM
I think Steelers fans are spoiled and not as loud or as often as they should be. I've watched the San Antonio Spurs play at home in the past and the crowd was chanting, "Defense, defense" on every opponent possession which amazes me.

AtlantaDan
09-24-2018, 07:30 AM
To answer the question in the thread about whether the Steelers have the worst home crowd in the league, they are on the road tonight against a team that has started 2-0, including a home win last week over the defending Super Bowl champs

The game in Tampa is not sold out

So it is not the worst crowd in the league

But I agree the crowd is not what it was when I went to games at TRS in the 70s (of course neither am I :chuckle: )

I was surprised by the number of empty seats when I was there last week - in addition to the 5000 no shows there were thousands more seats that were empty, particularly on the east side of Heinz that was in a very hot sun all afternoon

I was in the west side club seats and was surprised when I would go to club section concessions, which have seating and AC, that people spent large sections of the game sitting there and watching the game on the big screen in the concessions area - which given the price of NFL tickets is quite a cover charge to basically go to a sports bar

The crowd can get loud but due to the acoustics of Heinz, which does not hold the sound like the TRS Bowl did, fans going not just to watch the game but for the “game day experience”, and the crowd being older due to the cost of tickets along with Steelers season tickets having been held for decades, it is not as loud as Atlanta (enclosed dome) or Seattle (which is not a dome but which was designed with features to hold in the noise) games I have attended

Born2Steel
09-24-2018, 07:37 AM
Going to say no.

cold-hard-steel
09-24-2018, 08:05 AM
I don't know,but think we have a shot at being the worst home defense.

86WARD
09-24-2018, 08:07 AM

Home and away. Unified title!!!

cold-hard-steel
09-24-2018, 08:16 AM
Home and away. Unified title!!!

You may be correct. N.O. seems pretty bad too.

AtlantaDan
09-24-2018, 08:17 AM

After also scoring 37 at home but losing 43-37 to the Saints yesterday the Falcons are definite contenders :chuckle:

cold-hard-steel
09-24-2018, 08:25 AM
After also scoring 37 at home but losing 43-37 to the Saints yesterday the Falcons are definite contenders :chuckle:

Hope that it's something we can turn around. It looks bleak,things aren't always as bad as they seem to be.Then you have the other side of the coin where it's actually worse than it appears.

86WARD
09-24-2018, 08:39 AM
I personally don’t think they have the talent or football head to turn it around. That was the thing about Mike Mitchell was he had a football head on him. He wasn’t the best athletically, celebrates too much and made some dumb plays, but he was good at making sure some people were in the right space. Same with Shazier. He had everyone in the right spots. These guys look clueless out there.

Hopefully with time and reps, they can get somewhat better...but I don’t have a lot of hope.

Dwinsgames
09-24-2018, 08:43 AM
I HATE MNF!!!! They way they manipulate the crowd noise is horrible. And the new announcers are even worse than befre. Last week made me even miss Gruden.....not sure how I'm going to be able to watch this fiasco tonight.

use internet radio watch on TV and listen to steelers announcers

Steeldude
09-24-2018, 12:42 PM

Need Meredith and Gifford

Steeldude
09-24-2018, 12:57 PM
I personally don’t think they have the talent or football head to turn it around. That was the thing about Mike Mitchell was he had a football head on him. He wasn’t the best athletically, celebrates too much and made some dumb plays, but he was good at making sure some people were in the right space. Same with Shazier. He had everyone in the right spots. These guys look clueless out there.

Hopefully with time and reps, they can get somewhat better...but I don’t have a lot of hope.

They looked clueless all last season too.

The HC is the biggest problem, IMO. Talent is lacking too.

st33lersguy
09-24-2018, 03:43 PM
Is the Steelers home stadium struggling to sell out a 30,000 soccer stadium? Is the Steelers home stadium consisting of mostly opposing fans most of the time? No then the answer is an emphatic NO

DesertSteel
09-24-2018, 03:50 PM
I have felt that way for years. Maybe not the worst, but definitely in the bottom third. So many empty seats every game and lacking energy that other stadiums bring. I can't figure out why this is. On the other hand, road Steelers fans are #1. The announcers always talk about how well the Steelers fans "travel", but that has nothing to do with it. Those are local Steelers fans who live in those cities.

AtlantaDan
09-24-2018, 04:04 PM
I have felt that way for years. Maybe not the worst, but definitely in the bottom third. So many empty seats every game and lacking energy that other stadiums bring. I can't figure out why this is. On the other hand, road Steelers fans are #1. The announcers always talk about how well the Steelers fans "travel", but that has nothing to do with it. Those are local Steelers fans who live in those cities.

Of course a significant % of the fans at Heinz are from outside of western PA as well - this was in the Post-Gazette today

More than a third of the fans who came to PNC Park last year were from out of state (http://www.post-gazette.com/business/development/2018/09/12/Root-for-the-road-team-Pirates-attendance-boosted-by-rivals/stories/201809120095).... an estimated 20 percent of football fans and 13 percent of hockey fans in Heinz Field and PPG Paints Arena also came from out of state last season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/brian-oneill/2018/09/23/PNC-Park-We-built-it-they-came/stories/201809230036

I do not know if that helps or hurts the energy of the Heinz crowd. When I make my annual visit I come to Heinz wearing my Polamalu jersey, waving my Terrible Towel, and ready to yell. If a significant % of those visitors are just doing some football tourism that might also lower the noise level.

With the cost of games and the convenience of the HDTV at home empty seats are a growing problem almost everywhere - Ravens no shows have been hitting the 15,000 level in recent years even though all the tickets are sold

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-ravens-fans-20171016-story.html