PDA

View Full Version : Bell's Holdout Reaching Point of Career-Damaging Consequences

pczach
09-23-2018, 07:10 PM
Le'Veon Bell's Holdout has Reached Point of Career-Damaging Consequences

By Jeff Diamond

Le'Veon Bell's holdout (http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/leveon-bell-contract-holdout-steelers-options-choices-update/12a8dl9dofk5u1o7r2mmzsgu3x) from the Steelers, an illogical, costly and self-induced absence that's a major misjudgment of potential market value by the player and his agent, is one of the most ludicrous in NFL history.I saw a lot of holdouts during my NFL contract negotiating days and was a party to many. But the Pittsburgh running (http://i.viglink.com/?key=7fb183da098c1a0429659e0aaa3cd366&insertId=7312a7bd1af7fbdc&type=CD&exp=-100%3ACILITE%3A2&libId=jmfiyyj401016gaa000DA2ha6q7hn&cuid=BB94WtH%7Cus%7Cspo%7Car%7Cfootball_nfl%7CS&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.msn.com%2Fen-us%2Fsports%2Fnfl%2Fleveon-bells-holdout-has-reached-point-of-career-damaging-consequences%2Far-BBNz8yC%3Fli%3DBBnb7Kz&v=1&iid=7312a7bd1af7fbdc&out=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.target.com%2Fs%3FsearchTerm% 3Drunning&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.msn.com%2F%3Finst%3D1&title=Le'Veon%20Bell's%20holdout%20has%20reached%2 0point%20of%20career-damaging%20consequences&txt=%3Cspan%3Erunning%3C%2Fspan%3E) back, whose holdout dragged on through the preseason and is now into the third week of the regular season, has done major damage to his career just in the past two weeks.

MORE: Explaining Le'Veon Bell's holdout (http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/leveon-bell-contract-holdout-steelers-options-choices-update/12a8dl9dofk5u1o7r2mmzsgu3x)For whatever reason — supposedly an unsatisfactory amount of guaranteed money — Bell in the offseason turned down a reported five-year, $70 million deal (with $33 million guaranteed) that would have made him the NFL's highest-paid back. After the July 15 deadline for franchise-tagged players to sign long-term deals passed, Bell's only option for this season became the one-year, $14.5 million franchise tender.I predicted (http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/leveon-bell-pittsburgh-steelers-contract-offer-franchise-tag/99hcgbb1zmau1gjh4p7n0ez0j) in July that Bell would report to the team the week before the season opener, and that "no player is going to give up $853,000 per week."Wrong and wrong.I misjudged the ill-advised intentions of Bell and his agent, Adisa Bakari, who has been making inflammatory statements that Bell might wait until Week 11 to report in order to limit his exposure to injury prior to free agency and, in the process, forego $8.53 million.

Bell and Bakari are living in a fantasy land if they believe the 26-year-old will make up that money in his next contract.

MORE: NFL's highest-paid players (http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/list/nfl-highest-paid-players-top-most-athletes-position/bwswonwraczn1lhfraim05ud7)Both the statements from the agent and Bell's absence into the regular season say several things to NFL team owners, general managers and coaches. As a former GM and team president, I first would consider the brain cramp that is Bell giving up so much money each week.
Then I'd think about the lack of commitment. As Bell frolics (http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/leveon-bell-spotted-miami-jet-ski-nfl-steelers-video/5dym8p7y7f3v18shm0w3hq128) in Miami Beach on jet skis and in album-recording sessions, his Steelers teammates are struggling through an 0-1-1 start highlighted by diva wide receiver Antonio Brown's truancy. (http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/pittsburgh-steelers-antonio-brown-practice-twitter-contract-culture/11ym7sc1utj771qez2ehrmbwlf)

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/leveon-bells-holdout-has-reached-point-of-career-damaging-consequences/ar-BBNz8yC?li=BBnb7Kz

Fire Goodell
09-23-2018, 07:50 PM
Who?

pczach
09-23-2018, 07:59 PM
Who?

Google him. You might find something. :grin:

fansince'76
09-23-2018, 11:40 PM
Good thing he has a budding career in music to fall back on...

smokin3000gt
09-23-2018, 11:42 PM
I can't wait to see him Mike Wallace out on another team

saturdaysarebetter
09-24-2018, 06:37 AM
Trade him to football Siberia, a team we don't face that has a terrible offensive line and a terrible quarterback and see how well he does.

pczach
09-24-2018, 11:26 AM
More and more people seem to be saying that this is a huge mistake that he is making. Many are former agents, or people that worked in NFL organizations.

All he needs is one team to step up and give him a huge deal. I just think the odds of that keep going down the longer he stays away from the game.

AtlantaDan
09-24-2018, 11:33 AM
Although agent Bakari shot his mouth off after Labor Day when Bell failed to report, I disagree with the article's implication that Bakari's advice is part of this cluster and being heeded by Bell.

I think not reporting to cash 16 checks is a Le'Veon decision and Bakari is going along to keep the client.

Of course when the offers in the off season do not match Gurley $$$, Bell will blame Bakari and probably fire him - but that's the breaks

smokin3000gt
09-24-2018, 11:47 AM
Assuming we make the playoffs, it will be interesting to see if LB sits out the post season or not. He would obviously not want to risk injury but if he sits out that will show other teams that he cares more for himself than his team and the ultimate goal of winning a championship which would concern me as a GM and could hurt his stock even more..

steelreserve
09-24-2018, 01:14 PM
Assuming we make the playoffs, it will be interesting to see if LB sits out the post season or not. He would obviously not want to risk injury but if he sits out that will show other teams that he cares more for himself than his team and the ultimate goal of winning a championship which would concern me as a GM and could hurt his stock even more..

He will sit out every game including the postseason if he's fat or stoned, or both. Showing up out of shape and playing like crap will hurt his chances of a big contract even more.

You don't want your most recent tape to be 2 yards a carry and looking like you've lost that special something. He is not playing at all this year, mark it down.

cold-hard-steel
09-24-2018, 01:27 PM
Maybe Bell will invite the o-line and A.B. over for some ski jetting after the game or before they head back to Pittsburgh.

pczach
09-24-2018, 07:56 PM
Maybe Bell will invite the o-line and A.B. over for some ski jetting after the game or before they head back to Pittsburgh.

Maybe a little Truth or Dare? :chuckle:

st33lersguy
09-24-2018, 10:39 PM
Don't tell that to Bell's possible spokesman and professional jags homer Maurice Jones Drew who believes Bell should hold out

fansince'76
09-24-2018, 10:45 PM
Don't tell that to Bell's possible spokesman and professional jags homer Maurice Jones Drew who believes Bell should hold out

Or Booger McFarland who thinks the Steelers' FO is at fault and the team should have just "paid the man." Never mind they already tried to make him the highest paid RB in the league and he turned it down. :rolleyes:

Fire Goodell
09-24-2018, 10:48 PM
Does he have that monocle ready for that first down run?

Edman
09-24-2018, 11:01 PM
I wonder if Dingbat will like any Steeler losses on Instagram this week.

Fire Goodell
09-24-2018, 11:03 PM
https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/intelligencer/2014/03/06/06-jonathan-winters-monocle.w710.h473.2x.jpg

stillers4me
09-25-2018, 05:00 AM

pczach
09-25-2018, 10:13 AM

Bell is a man of many layers.....

Moose
09-25-2018, 10:39 AM
Bell ? Let him walk. My prediction on Bell.....he'll sit out until week 10, then comes in to practice, shows he's in shape and show's his shit during the week---then develops a odd injury of some sort on Saturday where he won't be able to play on Sunday. This will happen every week until the end of season, that way he'll be in shape to go to another team.

JnK
09-25-2018, 12:56 PM
Or Booger McFarland who thinks the Steelers' FO is at fault and the team should have just "paid the man." Never mind they already tried to make him the highest paid RB in the league and he turned it down. :rolleyes:

Couldn't believe my ears last night. Here's a guy who apparently has no clue. Who names their kid 'Booger' anyhow?

cubanstogie
09-25-2018, 01:56 PM
Exactly, these idiots always leave out pertinent facts. Just like the few who stick up for kaepernic, they fail to acknowledge he opted out of his contract. Poor decisions and then blame others.

steel striker
09-25-2018, 02:19 PM
I still don't think there are many teams that will pay Bell what he wants. Maybe I'm wrong

polamalubeast
09-25-2018, 02:58 PM
The New York Jets are interested in Bell...The faster that Bell will leave the steelers, the better will be for us.

On the field, we are fine without him on offense. 29 PPG, despite the atrocious first game by Ben.

fansince'76
09-25-2018, 03:41 PM
The New York Jets are interested in Bell...

Huge media market would be right up his alley. The NYC media is RUTHLESS when they don't love you anymore, however...

86WARD
09-25-2018, 03:58 PM
I’d want a high draft pick and a defensive player.

polamalubeast
09-25-2018, 04:01 PM
I’d want a high draft pick and a defensive player.

or a DC!

steelreserve
09-25-2018, 04:36 PM
Huge media market would be right up his alley. The NYC media is RUTHLESS when they don't love you anymore, however...

It's not about the big market or the TV audience. It's about hittin' up the nightclub.

New York, L.A., Miami, or bust.

Mojouw
09-25-2018, 04:43 PM
It's not about the big market or the TV audience. It's about hittin' up the nightclub.

You're totally right. But "hittin' up the nightclub" that was basically this:

https://media.giphy.com/media/ifxLK48cnyDDi/giphy.gif

I kid, I kid. Bottom line, is you likely have the best take on where things are out now. Once he didn't report for Week 1...I came over to the SteelReserve side of the fence!

ALLD
09-25-2018, 05:03 PM
Bell played his last down as a Steeler. He is trade bait to the highest bidder outside of the AFC Central.

pczach
09-25-2018, 07:03 PM
Bell played his last down as a Steeler. He is trade bait to the highest bidder outside of the AFC Central.

Do you mean the AFC North? :tongue1:

AtlantaDan
09-25-2018, 08:38 PM

Yep - I doubt the Steelers would risk trading him to the Oilers :chuckle:

Steeler-in-west
09-25-2018, 08:49 PM
Do you mean the AFC North? :tongue1:

:rofl2: Yes, great idea! let's trade him to the Oilers! Send him to the Oilers HQ and he can show up with his agent to the address of some new pack and stack in Houston

What a waste, another great talent like Bryant just pissing his career away

Iron Steeler
09-25-2018, 10:00 PM
Out of division and not the Patriots.

Ideally send him to NFC

AtlantaDan
09-26-2018, 06:50 AM
Bell ? Let him walk. My prediction on Bell.....he'll sit out until week 10, then comes in to practice, shows he's in shape and show's his shit during the week---then develops a odd injury of some sort on Saturday where he won't be able to play on Sunday. This will happen every week until the end of season, that way he'll be in shape to go to another team.

If he is not traded, I agree Bell will fake an injury to avoid playing in games once he reports

So does James Harrison

Former Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison has the perfect solution to Bell’s predicament: Sign the franchise tag before the deadline to get an accrued season, show up to work with the Steelers, but fake an injury to prevent himself from playing in any games.

“I think the play for Le’Veon, if I’m Le’Veon, is I’m coming back — what is it, November 13? — and I’m gonna go in there, I’m gonna get my credit for the season I need to get, and I’m gonna do the best I can to get out of that season healthy. And, for me, I’d give you everything in practice, you would see — the cameras would see — that I am fine, I am healthy. But come Saturday, ‘Something ain’t right, I can’t play on Sunday.’ Because if I go out here and I mess something up I’m losing a lot of money,” Harrison said on FS1 (https://twitter.com/undisputed/status/1044642941241712641).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/26/james-harrison-leveon-bell-should-sign-with-the-steelers-and-fake-an-injury/

86WARD
09-26-2018, 07:34 AM
Not sure why all these media guys are acting like Bell is going to come in and contribute “next week” like he’s been playing since week one and we are at week 10. These guys have been grinding it out on the practice field since June. Bell apparently hasn’t done jack shit since the end of last season. Sure he probably has a trainer and a dietitian, but he’s not anywhere close to football shape. It’s going to take a few weeks at minimum to get into the flow, let alone perform at a LeVeon Bell level. So by that math, they should see some sort of results Week 7/8?

AtlantaDan
09-26-2018, 09:54 AM

The MMQB polled executives from five different NFL teams, representing both conferences. The consensus among those polled was that Bell’s value ranks below Gurley’s, for reasons that include age, wear and tear, and injury and suspension history (Bell has only played 16 games in a regular season once, and has been suspended twice for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy). One executive said he’d peg Bell somewhere between Gurley and Jerick McKinnon’s four-year, $36.9 million deal, noting that Gurley is younger and more explosive. The highest estimate was a four-year, $56 million contract; that person thought Bell had a chance to get to $60 million, because being the highest-paid RB appears to be important to him, but that it would come through incentives or bonuses, rather than as a base salary.

One team decision-maker pointed out that running backs tend to get the best offer from their own team—although McKinnon’s contract is a counterpoint to that. Another echoed that sentiment, saying Bell should have taken what the Steelers offered....

While Bell’s fellow running back, Peterson, supports his stance, executives, agents and even Bell’s teammates are left scratching their heads at his strategy.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/25/leveon-bell-contract-holdout-salary-pittsburgh-steelers-2019-free-agent

steelreserve
09-26-2018, 09:55 AM
The problem is that Bell thinks he is not playing for a contract this season, that he played for one last season and that should be enough to have permanently convinced the market.

Actually, he IS playing for a contract, and the numbers he's putting up are all zeroes. What kind of contracts do teams give to players who miss a whole year without any stats at all?

Well, sometimes you see them do it for a player who missed time because he was injured. I've never heard of it for a player who missed a season for other reasons that can basically all be described as "malfunctioning." Those guys get heavily conditional or incentive-filled deals, usually at a steep discount for a year or two until people can figure out whether the player has his shit together or is still in the "problem" bucket.

EzraTank
09-26-2018, 10:02 AM
I'd love to see him go to the NFC. Vikings have a good defense and need a RB (Cook isn't the answer).

Fire Goodell
09-26-2018, 12:44 PM
James Harrison is pissing me off, more so because Bell's actions make it sound like he's listening to every suggestion James said so far. So is this a likely scenario? Probably.

Someone help me out here, but isn't that a bad thing? #1 if the injury is for real, he solidifies himself as an injury prone player (only finished one season without getting injured) and makes the Steeler FO look smart by not paying him, and #2 if he's faking it, then he's basically showing future employers that if he doesn't feel like playing, he won't?

Shoes
09-26-2018, 01:17 PM
If he is not traded, I agree Bell will fake an injury to avoid playing in games once he reports

So does James Harrison

Former Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison has the perfect solution to Bell’s predicament: Sign the franchise tag before the deadline to get an accrued season, show up to work with the Steelers, but fake an injury to prevent himself from playing in any games.

“I think the play for Le’Veon, if I’m Le’Veon, is I’m coming back — what is it, November 13? — and I’m gonna go in there, I’m gonna get my credit for the season I need to get, and I’m gonna do the best I can to get out of that season healthy. And, for me, I’d give you everything in practice, you would see — the cameras would see — that I am fine, I am healthy. But come Saturday, ‘Something ain’t right, I can’t play on Sunday.’ Because if I go out here and I mess something up I’m losing a lot of money,” Harrison said on FS1 (https://twitter.com/undisputed/status/1044642941241712641).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/26/james-harrison-leveon-bell-should-sign-with-the-steelers-and-fake-an-injury/

Harrison has a great need for attention.

Fire Goodell
09-26-2018, 01:19 PM
James Harrison is sour grapes lol

In other news, James Conner had his 2nd 20+ yard rush vs TB, if he gets one more, he matches Le'Veon Bell's total for the entire 2017 season.

polamalubeast
09-26-2018, 01:52 PM
Bell is just a little better than Matt Forte was in his prime and the bears had not Roethlisberger,Antonio Brown on offense and 2-3 pro bowl caliber player on the O-line, so it's crazy when I hear that Bell is a generation player!

Fire Goodell
09-26-2018, 01:55 PM

I hated the Oilers man. Warren Moon + 3 of those WR's that had 1000 yard seasons, and when they had that dude Gary Brown running the ball they were unstoppable. Fortunately for us he didnt have a long career, they would have been a problem lol.

tube517
09-26-2018, 02:59 PM

Hold on. They would kick the door down w/Leave'on Bell at RB! :chuckle:

DesertSteel
09-26-2018, 03:31 PM
James Harrison is a thug/loser.

st33lersguy
09-26-2018, 03:56 PM
https://www.facebook.com/BehindTheSteelCurtain/photos/pcb.2765383410154495/2765383373487832/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/BehindTheSteelCurtain/photos/pcb.2765383410154495/2765383366821166/?type=3&theater

LOLOL, Mark Madden and James Harrison get into it! It of course ended with Harrison blocking Madden on twitter

- - - Updated - - -

When Le'Veon retires in 2022 or 2023, he and Harrison should do a radio talk show dedicated to how much the Steelers and their fans suck since Harrison can't get enough of trashing the Steelers and that will likely be LE'Veon soon

teegre
09-26-2018, 10:13 PM

The MMQB polled executives from five different NFL teams, representing both conferences. The consensus among those polled was that Bell’s value ranks below Gurley’s, for reasons that include age, wear and tear, and injury and suspension history (Bell has only played 16 games in a regular season once, and has been suspended twice for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy). One executive said he’d peg Bell somewhere between Gurley and Jerick McKinnon’s four-year, $36.9 million deal, noting that Gurley is younger and more explosive. The highest estimate was a four-year, $56 million contract; that person thought Bell had a chance to get to $60 million, because being the highest-paid RB appears to be important to him, but that it would come through incentives or bonuses, rather than as a base salary.

One team decision-maker pointed out that running backs tend to get the best offer from their own team—although McKinnon’s contract is a counterpoint to that. Another echoed that sentiment, saying Bell should have taken what the Steelers offered....

While Bell’s fellow running back, Peterson, supports his stance, executives, agents and even Bell’s teammates are left scratching their heads at his strategy.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/25/leveon-bell-contract-holdout-salary-pittsburgh-steelers-2019-free-agent

I read the entire article... and it was mostly a re-cap (without much about what other GMs/teams think that Bell is worth).

A good read, a good re-cap... but, it simply didn’t quench my thirst.

86WARD
09-26-2018, 10:52 PM
I'd love to see him go to the NFC. Vikings have a good defense and need a RB (Cook isn't the answer).

Eagles make the most sense. They can free up the cap space by trading Foles as well and that is totally an Eagles type move.

st33lersguy
09-26-2018, 10:56 PM
Eagles make the most sense. They can free up the cap space by trading Foles as well and that is totally an Eagles type move.

Rather not trade with Howie roseman. Plus better to put him on a loser

Mojouw
09-26-2018, 10:58 PM

Ajayi and Clement would seem to say they wouldn't be in. But Bell would be a cheat code in that offense.

Mojouw
09-26-2018, 11:02 PM
San Fran. Shannahan would love a back like Bell.

Dobbs and Bell for a 3rd, a conditional 5th and some depth player.

Resign Landry and call it a day. Likely losing that trade but just get it over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-27-2018, 12:26 AM
Somebody needs to come up with a 2nd round pick minimum for a half season rental player. I don't see it happening.

I would rather see the Steelers wait until Bell signs and then deem him unhealthy to play for 2 weeks as per the CBA and save another $1.7million in cap space. Then put him in to see if he actually puts in effort on the field. If he sulks and tanks, then it will show his attitude towards potential teams, but if he goes about it professionally and plays hard, then good for all considered.

Reality is that I don't think he plays another snap as a Steeler. Likely will sign as late as he has to and then the level of discontent between him and teammates likely not good to have him playing with the team.

GBMelBlount
09-27-2018, 04:03 AM

If Ben was younger I would not be opposed to trading Dobbs.

However, with Ben's future being less predictable, I think Dobbs ceiling is too high to trade him.

86WARD
09-27-2018, 05:21 AM
Ajayi and Clement would seem to say they wouldn't be in. But Bell would be a cheat code in that offense.

Anahi is often injured and his contract is up at the end of this year and Corey Clement or Wendell,Smallwood aren’t full time backs.

86WARD
09-27-2018, 05:26 AM
Somebody needs to come up with a 2nd round pick minimum for a half season rental player. I don't see it happening.

I would rather see the Steelers wait until Bell signs and then deem him unhealthy to play for 2 weeks as per the CBA and save another $1.7million in cap space. Then put him in to see if he actually puts in effort on the field. If he sulks and tanks, then it will show his attitude towards potential teams, but if he goes about it professionally and plays hard, then good for all considered.

Reality is that I don't think he plays another snap as a Steeler. Likely will sign as late as he has to and then the level of discontent between him and teammates likely not good to have him playing with the team.

Second round pick would be the shockingly best case scenario but I highly doubt someone is going to part with that for a potential 8 game rental player (at best). I think a third rounder is probably the highest a team would go. These teams pretty much have the Steelers over the barrel at this point. If they would’ve traded him before the draft then that would’ve brought in top value imo. But since they waited and now it’s coming down to,the wire and the guy probably hasn’t seen or possibly remembers what a football field looks like, they are gonna get what they get...

86WARD
09-27-2018, 05:27 AM

IMO, that’s giving up too much...for that in return.

Mojouw
09-27-2018, 08:05 AM
IMO, that’s giving up too much...for that in return.

Almost certainly. But I'm envisioning paying a "tax" by taking reduced value in return in order to just end the issue.

fansince'76
09-27-2018, 08:29 AM

Well, he DOES have his budding rap career to think about...

cold-hard-steel
09-27-2018, 08:59 AM
I find it very easy to move on from Bell.Sometimes you need to realize the bigger picture.For me the bigger picture does not include "dumbbell".I don't worry about what will we get for him?Where will he play next or for whom.He is too high on himself to realize that he is only a part of something bigger than he is.When he comes back down to earth he may see things in a different perspective.But make no miscalculation,he is not part of this team.
I know it,the team knows it,"dumbbell"knows it.The writing has been on the wall.All you have to do is read it.We all live our lives according to the choices we make and we are only as limited or unlimited as far as that goes,by our way of thinking.For me and the way i choose to think,Bell is gone,and i moved on.

Steelerchad
09-27-2018, 04:44 PM
The other factor in all of this is that James Conner is having a better start to this season than Bell had last year at 5% of the cost. Why would the Steelers want to pay someone 20 times what Conner makes for the same or even less production. Even if the production is a little better, wouldn't you rather spend that money on defense. This offense is scoring more and gaining more without Bell. If Conner ends up the season anywhere near Leveon's stats last season, you would have believe that it is system, team, line, QB, WR's that make Bell what he is. Why would you pay that much for a guy on the tail end of his career. Every game Conner produces diminishes Bell's chance at the gigantic payday.

Fire Goodell
09-27-2018, 05:02 PM
If Bell joins the team on week 10 and spends his time as a back up, and we win the SB, does he still get a ring?

polamalubeast
09-27-2018, 05:31 PM
The other factor in all of this is that James Conner is having a better start to this season than Bell had last year at 5% of the cost. Why would the Steelers want to pay someone 20 times what Conner makes for the same or even less production. Even if the production is a little better, wouldn't you rather spend that money on defense. This offense is scoring more and gaining more without Bell. If Conner ends up the season anywhere near Leveon's stats last season, you would have believe that it is system, team, line, QB, WR's that make Bell what he is. Why would you pay that much for a guy on the tail end of his career. Every game Conner produces diminishes Bell's chance at the gigantic payday.

And a 32 years old DeAngelo Williams had success with us in 2015...same for our offense.

teegre
09-27-2018, 08:45 PM
If Bell joins the team on week 10 and spends his time as a back up, and we win the SB, does he still get a ring?

Even if he is deactivated, he’d get a ring.

pczach
09-28-2018, 03:45 AM

He could sell it to fund his "Save Le'Veon" foundation.

86WARD
09-28-2018, 04:45 AM

Right now there aren’t any defensive players out there to spend that money on so unless you are getting a minimum of a third round pick, it’s foolish to even think of moving him. As far as Conner goes, he’s having a decent year, but comparing stats to Bell, it’s all relative...defenses play each player differently, prepare for the Steelers offense differently. Bell isn’t the best RB out there, but he has the largest skill set of an back and if he really is working out twice a day and staying in shape, he will be beneficial to the Steelers when he shows...if they are in some sort of playoff contention at that time...which is questionable.

steelreserve
09-28-2018, 09:26 AM
Right now there aren’t any defensive players out there to spend that money on so unless you are getting a minimum of a third round pick, it’s foolish to even think of moving him. As far as Conner goes, he’s having a decent year, but comparing stats to Bell, it’s all relative...defenses play each player differently, prepare for the Steelers offense differently. Bell isn’t the best RB out there, but he has the largest skill set of an back and if he really is working out twice a day and staying in shape, he will be beneficial to the Steelers when he shows...if they are in some sort of playoff contention at that time...which is questionable.

In this case, you can carry over Bell's cap space to next year, so it does not depend on which defensive players are available "right now." You can use it for anyone available next offseason.

Is $14.5 million in 2019 going to get you a better player, who helps us more with our goal of winning while Ben is still here, than the last pick of the third round in 2020? I would say almost certainly.

As for the "Bell makes defenses scared and they have to change their plan for him" line that we keep hearing ... well, who cares? As long as we're scoring 30 points a game, they can be as un-afraid of our offense and ignore or running game as much as they want. But while the Bell thing drags on, it's apparently become extra-important that we get the most swagger points or whatever.

teegre
09-28-2018, 10:04 AM
James Conner currently has the eighth most yards-from-scrimmage in the NFL.

Bell currently has zero yards-from-scrimmage.

polamalubeast
09-28-2018, 10:19 AM
In this case, you can carry over Bell's cap space to next year, so it does not depend on which defensive players are available "right now." You can use it for anyone available next offseason.

Is $14.5 million in 2019 going to get you a better player, who helps us more with our goal of winning while Ben is still here, than the last pick of the third round in 2020? I would say almost certainly.

As for the "Bell makes defenses scared and they have to change their plan for him" line that we keep hearing ... well, who cares? As long as we're scoring 30 points a game, they can be as un-afraid of our offense and ignore or running game as much as they want. But while the Bell thing drags on, it's apparently become extra-important that we get the most swagger points or whatever.

This

86WARD
09-28-2018, 10:59 AM

So because Bell isn’t here in 2018 and you trade him, you get $14.5M bonus exemption on top of the 14.5M cap you would already have in 2019?

steelreserve
09-28-2018, 11:12 AM
So because Bell isn’t here in 2018 and you trade him, you get $14.5M bonus exemption on top of the 14.5M cap you would already have in 2019?

That's right. We'd carry over an extra $14.5 million from this year into next, and have an increased cap in 2019. AND we don't have to pay Bell in 2019, so in a way you can say we "save" that as well and probably end up with $25 million or more to sign players. (Of course, that's not a permanent $25 million and we'd have to figure out how to pay them in the future - but again, not having a huge Bell contract (and eventually no huge QB contract) helps with that.)

It's important to remember that if he doesn't show up until Week 10, we get about $8.7 million of that $14.5 million next year anyway. So maybe we're only "gaining" $6 million in exchange for the third-round draft pick. But maybe not, because who knows when he'll show up. If we somehow trade him immediately after he signs, then we get the full $14.5 million plus keep whatever we get in the trade.

Either way, there are a lot of options of what we could get either by trading him or releasing him outright. The (possible) third-round comp pick in 2020 is kind of meh among those options if you ask me, and maybe not even worth the $6 million. Remember, we may not even get a comp pick at all, if our free-agent signings equal or exceed our free-agent departures. Which is quite possible if we have extra money to spend.

DesertSteel
09-28-2018, 11:33 AM
Is there an actual NFL rule regarding super bowl rings or is it a team courtesy?

SteelMember
09-28-2018, 12:20 PM
Is there an actual NFL rule regarding super bowl rings or is it a team courtesy?

I believe they can give them to whomever they want... up to a certain number.

It's not like the rules of game requirements to get your name engraved on the Stanley Cup.

steelreserve
09-28-2018, 01:47 PM
I believe they can give them to whomever they want... up to a certain number.

It's not like the rules of game requirements to get your name engraved on the Stanley Cup.

They can give out as many as they want, but the league will only pay for 150 or 200. I think it's 150; that number sticks out in my head for some reason.

If you are on the 53-man roster, I am pretty sure you are a lock to get a ring, but beyond that it's up to the organization. For former players, guys who were on IR the whole year, and such, I'd imagine the players usually vote on it. Would be interesting to see what they decided about Bell.

As of now we don't really have to worry about that, because they have to start doing a ton of shit better if they're going to win the Super Bowl this year.

DesertSteel
09-28-2018, 02:14 PM
What I am asking, as it pertains to NFL rules, is it a rule A) that rings have to be given out, and B) that everyone that meets certain criteria must receive a ring? In other words, is it just a tradition like visiting the President or are teams required to grant rings?

pczach
09-28-2018, 04:39 PM
That's right. We'd carry over an extra $14.5 million from this year into next, and have an increased cap in 2019. AND we don't have to pay Bell in 2019, so in a way you can say we "save" that as well and probably end up with $25 million or more to sign players. (Of course, that's not a permanent $25 million and we'd have to figure out how to pay them in the future - but again, not having a huge Bell contract (and eventually no huge QB contract) helps with that.)

It's important to remember that if he doesn't show up until Week 10, we get about $8.7 million of that $14.5 million next year anyway. So maybe we're only "gaining" $6 million in exchange for the third-round draft pick. But maybe not, because who knows when he'll show up. If we somehow trade him immediately after he signs, then we get the full $14.5 million plus keep whatever we get in the trade.

Either way, there are a lot of options of what we could get either by trading him or releasing him outright. The (possible) third-round comp pick in 2020 is kind of meh among those options if you ask me, and maybe not even worth the $6 million. Remember, we may not even get a comp pick at all, if our free-agent signings equal or exceed our free-agent departures. Which is quite possible if we have extra money to spend.

I think many don't understand how much money they will have to spend next year if everything plays out as you describe.

That's a ton of cash!

That money can surely help them fill holes in the roster. They don't need to sign a superstar to improve the team. They can sign quality players at positions of need, and re-sign or extend proven home-grown players that want to be here.

It's a win/win situation. The team saves a ton of money for getting rid of a disgruntled player that doesn't want to be there and is a huge distraction to the team, while also freeing up tons of cap space to pay other players and strengthen the roster while eliminating a cancer.

This has a chance to help set this team up for the coming years. Even post-Ben years.

AtlantaDan
09-28-2018, 05:03 PM
I think many don't understand how much money they will have to spend next year if everything plays out as you describe.

That's a ton of cash!.

Biggest initial decision is what to do about Ben - 2019 is the last year of his current contract - cap hit for 2019 is $23.2 million ($12 million salary/$11.2 million roster and signing bonus)

Realistically a three year extension makes sense but question will be what the bonus and base salary will be - getting that deal done will then realistically result in how much money is left to sign FAs or current Steelers

steelreserve
09-28-2018, 05:08 PM

That's a ton of cash!

That money can surely help them fill holes in the roster. They don't need to sign a superstar to improve the team. They can sign quality players at positions of need, and re-sign or extend proven home-grown players that want to be here.

It's a win/win situation. The team saves a ton of money for getting rid of a disgruntled player that doesn't want to be there and is a huge distraction to the team, while also freeing up tons of cap space to pay other players and strengthen the roster while eliminating a cancer.

This has a chance to help set this team up for the coming years. Even post-Ben years.

One linebacker who can cover, and one decent pass rusher, and suddenly the defense looks a lot better.

Also don't forget - assuming Shazier doesn't ever play again (which seems likely), this was the last year of his contract and we'll have another $9 million to spend replacing that position. So probably like $35 million total, enough for three very good players or star players. Or five average to above-average players to fill gaps.

I think a bigger problem on defense is that we need some better position coaches, at least at LB and DB. The young and talented guys we draft there in rounds 1-2 seem to perpetually play the same as when they were rookies.

One or two you might be able to say is just bad luck; we drafted individual players who were super-talented but too dumb to improve. ALL of them is not bad luck, it's a problem with player development.

pczach
09-28-2018, 09:50 PM
Biggest initial decision is what to do about Ben - 2019 is the last year of his current contract - cap hit for 2019 is $23.2 million ($12 million salary/$11.2 million roster and signing bonus)

Realistically a three year extension makes sense but question will be what the bonus and base salary will be - getting that deal done will then realistically result in how much money is left to sign FAs or current Steelers

As steelreserve stated, Shazier will either by healthy enough and willing to play and fill a gaping hole in the roster....or he will not be able to ever play again, and the team will have the additional $9 million cap space they save when he comes off the books.

If the team does manage to trade Bell and get a draft pick or two, they will probably dedicate more resources to the draft and limit the amount of free agent activity for roster building.

Ben's situation will be interesting as he appears to have some football left in him. I agree with you about signing Ben. It's hard to imagine him not being signed to a multi-year extension.

No matter how next year shakes out, they are in far better shape than they have been in recent years.