PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' special teams show renewed vigor

stillers4me
09-22-2010, 05:07 AM
http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2010-09-21/steelers-a.jpg
Antonio Brown's opening kickoff return for a touchdown against the Titans is just part of the Steelers' overall improved special teams play.
Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review

By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Al Everest makes an interesting pitch when selling the idea of playing special teams. "I tell (players) you don't have to pay 40 dollars to go to the park and ride the roller coaster," the Steelers' special teams coordinator said. "Just go play special teams and let it all hang out."

Because the Steelers have not held anything back, they have avoided the roller-coaster ride that their special teams provided — and not in a good way — a year ago.
Those units have been overshadowed by a punishing defense, but they cannot be overlooked when it comes to the Steelers' 2-0 start.

A kickoff return has provided one of the two touchdowns the Steelers have scored. And the Steelers have done such a solid job of covering kickoffs that opponents have started, on average, inside their own 22.........................

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_700623.html

HometownGal
09-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Our ST's look a LOT better than they did last season but I think there is still a little more work to do. If you will remember in Sunday's game, one of their return guys almost broke one and DSep was the last guy in his way and thank God he nailed him. I am also quite pleased with Skippy's kickoffs this season as compared to seasons past. Overall - in the first 2 games, they've done a pretty good job. :thumbsup:

SteelMember
09-22-2010, 06:54 AM
If Sanders (who was inactive with an injury last week) plays this week, will they sit Brown like they did in week 1? This guy shows some real spark. I hope they consider leaving Battle on the bench instead.

The Duke
09-22-2010, 09:28 AM
If Sanders (who was inactive with an injury last week) plays this week, will they sit Brown like they did in week 1? This guy shows some real spark. I hope they consider leaving Battle on the bench instead.

Hope it happens, but right now I doubt it

But if it does, wow, two of our rookie receivers active. Now that's something to be proud about

The Duke
09-22-2010, 09:30 AM
EDIT: Double post

steelerdude15
09-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Yeah they do, they look better these past two games compared to all of last season. Brown is one speedy guy and hopefully we can get a few more TDs out of him before the season is over.