PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown Clearly Not Right Physically Or Mentally To Start 2018 Season

stillers4me
09-16-2018, 04:46 PM
While the big story of the week is going to be the Pittsburgh Steelers defense being roasted off the field following their roasting on it, let’s talk for a brief moment about where wide receiver Antonio Brown is right now. The ninth-year veteran is not off to the sort of start to the season that he had clearly hoped, and has been visibly frustrated.

Nevermind the off-field distraction that he has been dealing with stemming from an article about his personal dramas as exposed via social media, and his subsequent verbal attack. Or when he accused Ed Bouchette of being a racist after the veteran reporter Tweeted that he was seen limping off the practice field several weeks ago.......

read more @ https://steelersdepot.com/2018/09/antonio-brown-clearly-not-right-physically-or-mentally-to-start-2018-season/

fansince'76
09-16-2018, 04:49 PM
0-1-1 to start the season and...Steelers Nation goes completely apeshit.

It would be funny if it weren't so predictable.

Oh I see "Dodens Grav" (Matthew Marczi) wrote it. Big surprise there. :sarcasm:

st33lersguy
09-16-2018, 04:53 PM
I guess when you criticize the media, you make yourself a target. AB's emotions aren't the biggest problem right now

Edman
09-16-2018, 04:54 PM

0-1-1 with a shitty Defense. Back then the Steelers could play Defense and it gave them some kind of shot. With the Defense the way it is now, they'll be lucky to win 8 games.

86WARD
09-16-2018, 04:56 PM
I’d be visibly frustrated too if the team looked like shit and I wasn’t being utilized At all.

Fire Goodell
09-16-2018, 04:57 PM
Madden curse

Mojouw
09-16-2018, 04:59 PM

Yeahj. I'm trying to catch up on the game I largely missed. All I can find are unhinged rantings and crappy blog posts with no analysis.

Same story. Whenever the Steelers lose, it is how they lost the game and never how the other team won. Watched another game today with some really knowledgeable fans and everyone was talking about how impressive the Chiefs offense is. How it is going to be hard for any team to stop, etc etc etc.

Does this let the Steelers off the hook, of course not.

But, again, this place is off the rails already.

fansince'76
09-16-2018, 05:01 PM
Yeahj. I'm trying to catch up on the game I largely missed. All I can find are unhinged rantings and crappy blog posts with no analysis.

Same story. Whenever the Steelers lose, it is how they lost the game and never how the other team won. Watched another game today with some really knowledgeable fans and everyone was talking about how impressive the Chiefs offense is. How it is going to be hard for any team to stop, etc etc etc.

And these are many of the same folks who want Tom ".531" Coughlin to replace Tomlin. :chuckle:

86WARD
09-16-2018, 05:03 PM

The other team won because Mahomes picked apart the defense, the DBs couldn’t cover any receiver, they couldn’t tackle and miscommunication was again a thing. Mahomes recognizes this and just destroyed them. Chiefs defense contained Conner, shit down AB and played better. Pretty much sums it up. It’s not always the other team winning. It’s sometimes the Steelers losing...teams that aren’t talented just find ways to lose and this defense is far from a talented defense.

86WARD
09-16-2018, 05:04 PM
Madden curse

People tried to say that’s not a thing...through two games, it’s for real real!!

Mojouw
09-16-2018, 05:05 PM
And these are many of the same folks who want Tom ".531" Couglin to replace Tomlin. :chuckle:

Yeah and until they have a "good win" - whatever that is - the "Fire Everyone and All Losses are Based on Bad Coaching" crowd will just fire up thread after thread of no information, no alternatives, and context using today's result to validate their opinions.

Remember, whoever hates Tomlin and Butler the most is best Steelers fan!

teegre
09-16-2018, 05:19 PM

Here is a telling stat-line for Mahomes:

3 drives, 106 yards & 3 TDs

The offense gave them very short fields to start the game. True, KC probably would have scored anyway, but 35 yards per drive is tough to overcome.

- - - Updated - - -

The other team won because Bortles picked apart the defense, the DBs couldn’t cover any receiver, they couldn’t tackle and miscommunication was again a thing. Bortles recognizes this and just destroyed them. Jags defense contained the RB, shit down the receivers and played better. Pretty much sums it up. It’s not always the other team winning. It’s sometimes the Taperiots losing...teams that aren’t talented just find ways to lose and this defense is far from a talented defense.

edited

Mojouw
09-16-2018, 05:30 PM
The other team won because Mahomes picked apart the defense, the DBs couldn’t cover any receiver, they couldn’t tackle and miscommunication was again a thing. Mahomes recognizes this and just destroyed them. Chiefs defense contained Conner, shit down AB and played better. Pretty much sums it up. It’s not always the other team winning. It’s sometimes the Steelers losing...teams that aren’t talented just find ways to lose and this defense is far from a talented defense.

So what your saying is that Kansas City oupolayed Pittsburgh. Shocking. I know this is hard to wrap your heads around but KC is really good. THey are running a highly innovative offense that no one has tape on and is specifically designed to create maximum confusion in a defense so their yours QB doesn’t have to make many decisions.

From what I was able to watch, what Ive read and watched since the end of the game — this went down exactly how most people thought it would. A total shootout that would be determined by either who had the ball last or who made one less mistake than the other team.

I fail to see why this is the end of the world?

teegre
09-16-2018, 05:32 PM
The good news is that in the Taperiots’ last two Super Bowl titles, they got blown out by the Chiefs early in the season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-16-2018, 05:39 PM

Wasn't Dodens Grav the guy that was arguing that Mewelde Moore was the best RB in the NFL because of his high DVOA?? I think that was back on the SF board in the day.
:doh:

43Hitman
09-16-2018, 05:43 PM
Wasn't Dodens Grav the guy that was arguing that Mewelde Moore was the best RB in the NFL because of his high DVOA?? I think that was back on the SF board in the day.

Yep, thats the guy.

86WARD
09-16-2018, 05:48 PM
So what your saying is that Kansas City oupolayed Pittsburgh. Shocking. I know this is hard to wrap your heads around but KC is really good. THey are running a highly innovative offense that no one has tape on and is specifically designed to create maximum confusion in a defense so their yours QB doesn’t have to make many decisions.

From what I was able to watch, what Ive read and watched since the end of the game — this went down exactly how most people thought it would. A total shootout that would be determined by either who had the ball last or who made one less mistake than the other team.

I fail to see why this is the end of the world?

People think it’s the end of the world because for two weeks in a row now the defense has been pretty terrible, anything outside of Watt, Tuitt and Heyward is a question mark.

The Steelers put themselves in a position to lose. Watt covering Sammy Watkins? Dupree (lol) covering Tyreek Hill?? Leaving Kelce wide open on pretty much every play? Even Spencer Ware was able to complete a pass to him. Hardly being outplayed...that’s just flat out putting your players into bad situations and the Chiefs taking advantage.

fansince'76
09-16-2018, 05:51 PM

Nah, that was UFN (UncleFuckNuckle). He loved Mewelde Moore because they both went to Baylor. :chuckle:

Dodens Grav came later on, but was no less of a know-it-all and just as annoying.

43Hitman
09-16-2018, 05:54 PM
Nah, that was UFN (UncleFuckNuckle). He loved Mewelde Moore because they both went to Baylor. :chuckle:

Dodens Grav came later on, but was no less of a know-it-all and just as annoying.

Damn, they all sound the same.

fansince'76
09-16-2018, 05:56 PM
Damn, they all sound the same.

Then there was "Suddenness and Glide" Lakelander. He loved him some Ike Redman! :lol:

It's a shame SF went offline - there were so many threads that were absolute comedy gold.

Mojouw
09-16-2018, 05:59 PM
People think it’s the end of the world because for two weeks in a row now the defense has been pretty terrible, anything outside of Watt, Tuitt and Heyward is a question mark.

The Steelers put themselves in a position to lose. Watt covering Sammy Watkins? Dupree (lol) covering Tyreek Hill?? Leaving Kelce wide open on pretty much every play? Even Spencer Ware was able to complete a pass to him. Hardly being outplayed...that’s just flat out putting your players into bad situations and the Chiefs taking advantage.

Team has no one capable of covering Kelce. Hasn’t since Polamalu retired.

Lbs on WRs is the trade off you make to get pressure when you play a 3-4 base zone blitz team. Like you have watched the Steelers before at some point in the last 20 years. This is not new or hard to understand. In this defensive system, you have LBs and sometimes DE covering skill position guys so you can try and get an overloaded pressure somewhere.

I’m guessing it didn’t work. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t sound strategy to try.

BlackAndGold
09-16-2018, 06:03 PM
This is AB. He did this last year also. Remember the tantrum vs the Ravens?

fansince'76
09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
Why is it a "tantrum" with AB, but it's "dogged competitiveness" whenever Brady throws a shitfit (much more frequently) on the sideline?

AB wants a ring, his work ethic screams it, his team (so far) is FUBARing another chance at one and he's frustrated. It's understandable. You think he doesn't realize that the window of opportunity slams shut when Roethlisberger finally hangs them up?

Shoes
09-16-2018, 06:12 PM
JAX 31 NE 13

BlackAndGold
09-16-2018, 07:00 PM
JAX 31 NE 13

If their offense can play like that, they are coming out of the AFC.

Edman
09-16-2018, 07:06 PM
You think he doesn't realize that the window of opportunity slams shut when Roethlisberger finally hangs them up?

The Steelers' Super Bowl window slammed shut on January 14, 2018. 2017 was these current Steelers' last shot. They went all in last year and failed. This is merely the decline afterwards while Ben plays out the string. The AFC has gotten better, and the Steelers have gotten weaker both on Offense with a diva RB on the wrong side of 25 in the middle of a holdout and has an increasingly putrid defense that can't stop anyone. There is nothing championship-caliber or even playoff-worthy about this team. Maybe 8-8 or something so we can keep saying Tomlin never had a losing season.

I predicted that this season was going to be weak, people didn't believe me and so far its playing out like I expected. This is the beginning of the end of the current Steelers era, just like 1980 was the end of the 70's Steelers.

Don't be surprised to see this group fade and enter transition phase for the next few years.

AtlantaDan
09-16-2018, 07:14 PM

There was a play in the 3rd quarter where the Chiefs had a receiver split out wide left isolated on Vince Williams

I was sitting on the Steelers side of the field and watching the Steelers try to substitute defenders in person is far worse than it appears on TV

Dwinsgames
09-16-2018, 08:12 PM

86WARD
09-16-2018, 08:24 PM
Team has no one capable of covering Kelce. Hasn’t since Polamalu retired.

Lbs on WRs is the trade off you make to get pressure when you play a 3-4 base zone blitz team. Like you have watched the Steelers before at some point in the last 20 years. This is not new or hard to understand. In this defensive system, you have LBs and sometimes DE covering skill position guys so you can try and get an overloaded pressure somewhere.

I’m guessing it didn’t work. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t sound strategy to try.

Thing is they aren’t getting pressure and putting guys in positions where they aren’t capable. You can’t continue to put a square peg in a round hole. If a guy’s not talented enough to do the job you can’t just try to force him into a plug and play position. You have to come up with something different. This team doesn’t gave the talent on defense to be plug and play. The starters other than 3 players are average at best and the depth is well below average. That won’t cut it in any scheme. Itseems like it is happening more often as well...or maybe I am noticing it more because the mismatches are so great.

In the past there has been depth and skill and they were able to run the 3-4 schemes...that is severely lacking at this stage this year in more than just a couple spots.

BlackAndGold
09-16-2018, 08:25 PM
AB is fine. Once, or if they start winning everything will be back to normal.

Kinda disappointed no one else was flipping out on the sidelines tbh, someone needs to show heart with frustration.

86WARD
09-16-2018, 08:27 PM
Why is it a "tantrum" with AB, but it's "dogged competitiveness" whenever Brady throws a shitfit (much more frequently) on the sideline?

AB wants a ring, his work ethic screams it, his team (so far) is FUBARing another chance at one and he's frustrated. It's understandable. You think he doesn't realize that the window of opportunity slams shut when Roethlisberger finally hangs them up?

If he wasn’t throwing a tantrum I’d be more worried. He’s the best player on the team and they are barely getting him involved. ..the DBs of the Browns and. Briefs combined aren’t talented enough to remove AB from a game plan like he’s been...

FrancoLambert
09-16-2018, 08:45 PM
May be frustrated as to how much his mysterious injury is impacting his ability to make a play.
To me it looked like he couldn't turn it on and separate from the defender after a couple of catches today.

fansince'76
09-16-2018, 09:01 PM
The Steelers' Super Bowl window slammed shut on January 14, 2018. 2017 was these current Steelers' last shot. They went all in last year and failed. This is merely the decline afterwards while Ben plays out the string. The AFC has gotten better, and the Steelers have gotten weaker both on Offense with a diva RB on the wrong side of 25 in the middle of a holdout and has an increasingly putrid defense that can't stop anyone. There is nothing championship-caliber or even playoff-worthy about this team. Maybe 8-8 or something so we can keep saying Tomlin never had a losing season.

I predicted that this season was going to be weak, people didn't believe me and so far its playing out like I expected. This is the beginning of the end of the current Steelers era, just like 1980 was the end of the 70's Steelers.

Don't be surprised to see this group fade and enter transition phase for the next few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAAKPJEq1Ew

Mojouw
09-16-2018, 09:02 PM
He’s probably just distracted by Leveon Bell holdout and Tomlins bad coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lipps83
09-16-2018, 09:03 PM
AB is fine. Once, or if they start winning everything will be back to normal.

Kinda disappointed no one else was flipping out on the sidelines tbh, someone needs to show heart with frustration.

Exactly. I want to see that they care. Those are the guys with their hearts in it and I will take that any day over talent. I don't see it as them being a diva, I see it as them wanting to be the ones to be USED to get the team back in it. They are saying, "I CAN DO THIS, GET ME THE BALL" and "USE ME".

Did anyone see AB complaining when he only had 4 catches in a victory? Of course not. Pay attention.

There are leaders and there are followers. Those guys are leaders. In a difficult situation I would rather an AB that has no doubt in himself than someone in the huddle secretly saying to himself "not me, please not me, not here, not right now". AB KNOWS he can do it. The other player THINKS HE MIGHT BE ABLE TO. There is a huge difference in performance there.

Would you have a contractor build you a house if he says "I might be able to"? No, you go to one that KNOWS he can.

And some fans want them to shut up. If anything, those fans need to shut up.

pczach
09-16-2018, 09:05 PM
Then there was "Suddenness and Glide" Lakelander. He loved him some Ike Redman! :lol:

It's a shame SF went offline - there were so many threads that were absolute comedy gold.

We had so much fun at that place, it should be against the law!

Shoes
09-16-2018, 09:07 PM

:toofunny:

Bluecoat96
09-16-2018, 09:41 PM
And these are many of the same folks who want Tom ".531" Coughlin to replace Tomlin. :chuckle:Well, in their defense, Coughlin does seem to be the Patriots' kryptonite.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

stillers4me
09-17-2018, 05:30 AM

- - - Updated - - -

tube517
09-17-2018, 05:34 AM

:rofl2:

Thanks FS, I just spit out my coffee.
The best was the close-up on the dog and the canned laughter. LOL.

43Hitman
09-17-2018, 08:17 AM
Exactly. I want to see that they care. Those are the guys with their hearts in it and I will take that any day over talent. I don't see it as them being a diva, I see it as them wanting to be the ones to be USED to get the team back in it. They are saying, "I CAN DO THIS, GET ME THE BALL" and "USE ME".

Did anyone see AB complaining when he only had 4 catches in a victory? Of course not. Pay attention.

There are leaders and there are followers. Those guys are leaders. In a difficult situation I would rather an AB that has no doubt in himself than someone in the huddle secretly saying to himself "not me, please not me, not here, not right now". AB KNOWS he can do it. The other player THINKS HE MIGHT BE ABLE TO. There is a huge difference in performance there.

Would you have a contractor build you a house if he says "I might be able to"? No, you go to one that KNOWS he can.

And some fans want them to shut up. If anything, those fans need to shut up.

These are all very valid points. I'd be pissy too If I were in that same position.

Dwinsgames
09-17-2018, 10:39 AM
I have defended this guy long enough ... he is a douche and a dickhead of a human being

and maybe just maybe we would be better off without him if we could snag a couple top flight draft picks for him

AtlantaDan
09-17-2018, 11:37 AM
I have defended this guy long enough ... he is a douche and a dickhead of a human being

and maybe just maybe we would be better off without him if we could snag a couple top flight draft picks for him

Ryan Scarpino, the tweeter that triggered AB, was a Steelers PR guy through 2017 -Scarpino presumably saw his fair share of AB acting out

Listening to Bouchette on Pittsburgh sports radio this morning on my drive to the airport - Bouchette said the AB tantrums are seen as a bad influence on younger players, notably JuJu

No way AB likes JuJu filling up the stat sheet over him

Mojouw
09-17-2018, 11:37 AM

It was in response to some moron who formerly worked in Steelers PR saying that AB wouldn't be anything without Ben.

Not sure, I'm ready to slam a guy for defending his talent.

To be clear, 3 things I have just read in the past 35 seconds indicate it was NOT a trade request or a shot across the bow at the coaching staff or the current QB. It was a social media slap fight between AB and some rando.

Dwinsgames
09-17-2018, 11:59 AM
It was in response to some moron who formerly worked in Steelers PR saying that AB wouldn't be anything without Ben.

Not sure, I'm ready to slam a guy for defending his talent.

To be clear, 3 things I have just read in the past 35 seconds indicate it was NOT a trade request or a shot across the bow at the coaching staff or the current QB. It was a social media slap fight between AB and some rando.

truth be told " that moron" is kind of right ...

AB was a bubble player his rookie year ... AB without Ben ( see games other QBs have started with Ben out ) AB often was not the best performing receiver on the team ....

If history is any indication of future results we could look to Santonio Holmes ..... Mike Wallace ..... good numbers here in Pittsburgh , but once they left well .. not so much

I will not go as far as to say brown would make a quick exit from the league and its stat sheets but I will go on record as to say he would not be the weapon he has been in Pittsburgh on probably 30 other teams ...

Remember it was Mike Wallace turning down a contract here that got Brown Paid and most where concerned with that because Brown had limited production in the scoring department prior to that first good contract ...The Steelers Prioritized Wallace over AB and when Wallace turned it down that offer went to Brown as a consolation prize to keep Ben with at least 1 returning starting WR ...

Now Browns Ego seems to be bigger than the team ... Mr Humility has turned into Mr Personality and a large portion of that personality is showboat / ME ....

Mojouw
09-17-2018, 12:20 PM
truth be told " that moron" is kind of right ...

AB was a bubble player his rookie year ... AB without Ben ( see games other QBs have started with Ben out ) AB often was not the best performing receiver on the team ....

If history is any indication of future results we could look to Santonio Holmes ..... Mike Wallace ..... good numbers here in Pittsburgh , but once they left well .. not so much

I will not go as far as to say brown would make a quick exit from the league and its stat sheets but I will go on record as to say he would not be the weapon he has been in Pittsburgh on probably 30 other teams ...

Remember it was Mike Wallace turning down a contract here that got Brown Paid and most where concerned with that because Brown had limited production in the scoring department prior to that first good contract ...The Steelers Prioritized Wallace over AB and when Wallace turned it down that offer went to Brown as a consolation prize to keep Ben with at least 1 returning starting WR ...

Now Browns Ego seems to be bigger than the team ... Mr Humility has turned into Mr Personality and a large portion of that personality is showboat / ME ....

Sure. The Steelers gave AB a chance to succeed and he seized and made the most out of it.

But we spent all summer talking about how AB works harder than anyone else and a variety of other good things or at least non-Leveon Bell things. Basically held up AB as a model of what a player should be.

Now he says one thing and throws one tantrum and everyone freaks out. C'mon. Look at how histrionic and hysterical it gets around here after a lose and all we did was watch it on TV. These dudes played in it and then some idiot comes at the best WR in the game and possibly ever with some non-sense?

It is kinda laudable that AB only said what he did.

SteelersCanadian
09-17-2018, 12:33 PM
For the love of sweet Jesus.

Brown is not a product of Roethlisberger. That notion is insanely moronic at worst, comical at best.

Here's a shocker: diva WR has an ego, wants the football. GOOD. I'd be more upset if he didn't want the ball.

Fire Goodell
09-17-2018, 12:37 PM

No way that happens: IF Brown is traded, then we might as well kiss the SB aspirations goodbye for the next 3-4 years at LEAST. AB will thrive without Ben. Ben will NOT without AB. Getting rid of AB we might as well go back to rebuilding mode and get rid of Roethlisberger while we're at it.

Ryan Scarpino is also an idiot. Brown would put up insane numbers if he played for NE or Philly. As much as I'm not liking this guy's attitude this year he's the best WR in the damn league. Heck maybe put him on the Chiefs :chuckle:

Dwinsgames
09-17-2018, 01:28 PM
No way that happens: IF Brown is traded, then we might as well kiss the SB aspirations goodbye for the next 3-4 years at LEAST. AB will thrive without Ben. Ben will NOT without AB. Getting rid of AB we might as well go back to rebuilding mode and get rid of Roethlisberger while we're at it.

Ryan Scarpino is also an idiot. Brown would put up insane numbers if he played for NE or Philly. As much as I'm not liking this guy's attitude this year he's the best WR in the damn league. Heck maybe put him on the Chiefs :chuckle:

just to play along ...

what if ....

you are the GM for a day

week 8 we are sitting at 2-5-1 and you get a phone call from some team in dire need of a #1 WR to make that SB run and they offer you TWO #1's

in the meantime Bell shows up and you get a call offering you a second round pick ....

what do you do ?

personally I take both deals ...

Knowing moving forward I have JuJu and Washington in house ...

I use the second round pick I got from Bell to take another WR in the next draft to give me 3 quality starter capable guys

I then select a first round corner and a 1st round FS with the picks I got from Brown

I still have my own 1st rounder to get that top flight ILB that can run/hit and cover and since our record sucks at 2-5-1 at the half way point I suspect its going to be a top 12 pick so I should have my pick of the lot ....

sure it sucks to have to cut away known quality but damnit if the offer is good enough nothing should be off the table

Fire Goodell
09-17-2018, 01:34 PM
just to play along ...

what if ....

you are the GM for a day

week 8 we are sitting at 2-5-1 and you get a phone call from some team in dire need of a #1 WR to make that SB run and they offer you TWO #1's

in the meantime Bell shows up and you get a call offering you a second round pick ....

what do you do ?

I use the second round pick I got from Bell to take another WR in the next draft to give me 3 quality starter capable guys

I then select a first round corner and a 1st round FS with the picks I got from Brown

I still have my own 1st rounder to get that top flight ILB that can run/hit and cover and since our record sucks at 2-5-1 at the half way point I suspect its going to be a top 12 pick so I should have my pick of the lot ....

sure it sucks to have to cut away known quality but damnit if the offer is good enough nothing should be off the table

Honestly at 2-5-1 with the current squad we have? I'd be looking to make changes to the coaching staff before my players. I don't care what schedule we have, with the amount of talent this team has, it should not be a losing team.

Especially on the defensive side of the ball, the coaching staff has failed to convert its talent to production. Artie Burns losing his cool on the field last week and being put back out on the field a couple of plays later? That would have never flown under Cowher or Noll, they would have had his a$$.

Quite honestly I've backed Tomlin for a while now, but I'm increasingly losing my patience with how he's running the team. And I've already lost it with Butler, that guy doesn't have it. 3rd year as a coordinator and the defense still having 'communication issues'? 1st year ok you get a pass. 2nd year this shouldn't be happening, especially at the pro level.

About trade scenarios, I'd take the Bell trade but not the AB one. AB still has plenty of tread left, and although a diva at times, this guy grinds. When he wanted a new contract, he still showed up to work and his production speaks for itself. And he's not had the same off the field issues with getting suspended and all. AB might be a headache at times but you can't deny this guy puts in the work and wants to win. I can't say the same for Bell.

86WARD
09-17-2018, 01:57 PM
just to play along ...

what if ....

you are the GM for a day

what do you do ?

Nope. Two draft picks isn’t worth AB. AB is a known commodity. I wouldn’t trade AB for a chance at Bud Dupree and Artie Burns. No thanks.

lipps83
09-17-2018, 04:50 PM

You certainly don't seem to be the life of a party yourself.

So what, AB doesn't act the way that you are demanding he should. You are even more pissed BECAUSE HE DOESN'T HAVE TOO. How about you clean your own house before telling someone else how dirty theirs is?

he is a douche and a dickhead of a human being

You know, maybe you should look in a mirror once in while. I know it is a lot harder than pointing the finger at someone else, because then your hate has no justification because you can't blame someone else for your own self created misery.

Dwinsgames
09-17-2018, 05:06 PM
You certainly don't seem to be the life of a party yourself.

So what, AB doesn't act the way that you are demanding he should. You are even more pissed BECAUSE HE DOESN'T HAVE TOO. How about you clean your own house before telling someone else how dirty theirs is?

You know, maybe you should look in a mirror once in while. I know it is a lot harder than pointing the finger at someone else, because then your hate has no justification because you can't blame someone else for your own self created misery.

lol here is a quarter go buy yourself a clue

lipps83
09-17-2018, 05:26 PM
lol here is a quarter go buy yourself a clue

If I get a clue, would my behavior be more suited to your rapidly dying world view of how people should behave? Your box is small and getting smaller, but I want to fit in.

I just want you to like me, man!

Dwinsgames
09-17-2018, 06:24 PM
If I get a clue, would my behavior be more suited to your rapidly dying world view of how people should behave? Your box is small and getting smaller, but I want to fit in.

I just want you to like me, man!

not gonna happen I do not like assholes.... I don't know what your problem is with me ... quite frankly don't care but you sir are an asshole .. I never said shit to you and you act like this ? screw you

Dwinsgames
09-17-2018, 06:47 PM
little timeline for my reasoning to call Brown a douche and a dickhead of a human being ....

Last season going facebook live after a game and team locker room stuff was broadcast over social media

2016 all over social media with some woman and public messages back and forth about them seeing one another while his live in girlfriend was at home taking care of their first 4 children while carrying his 5th child

July 2018 complains to the media that they put to much pressure on him by reporting stuff that he himself does then shows up to training camp in a chopper bringing attention to himself

Aug 2018 fails to show at a sick children's even at Children's hospital until 4 hours after he should be there all the sick kids by then where disappointed and worn out ....

Aug 2018 Calls team beat reporter a Clown on twitter ( Ed is a clown but should you publicly humiliate him when he has ties to the organization ? )

Sept 2018 threatens espn reporter with a punch in the jaw via social media

Sept 2018 throws tantrum on sidelines via the game......

this is without digging for anything this is off the top of my head , guessing there is plenty more if someone wants to look for it

yes there is without a doubt a history here and its not going away any time soon

https://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/02/super_bowl_2017_antonio_brown_lashes_out_at_media. html

(https://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/02/super_bowl_2017_antonio_brown_lashes_out_at_media. html)

AtlantaDan
09-17-2018, 06:59 PM
Voice of reason David DeCastro on folks acting out on social media

DeCastro’s suggestion would be for his teammates to just stay off social media.

“I don’t know how people do it, to be honest,” DeCastro said. “I stay off it, I just avoid it because if I want to talk to someone I’ll talk to him. I’ll communicate face to face with him, I don’t even try to text him. It’s a weird way of communicating. It’s a weird path society’s going down.

“Everyone thinks their opinion matters. They give advice to people. I don’t understand it, I really don’t. Maybe I’m just a weirdo. I don’t get distracted at all because I don’t listen to it.
“I think most guys don’t really worry about it. I think it’s just part of life in the NFL now, it’s that added drama that’s become kind of entertainment. It’s a weird deal. It almost feels a little bit like the entertainment’s become bigger than the game, if that makes sense, which is kind of sad to me. I always thought the game was really important. I love the game.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/09/17/antonio-brown-trade-tweet-bud-dupree-steelers/stories/201809170125

Dwinsgames
09-17-2018, 07:05 PM
https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/09/14/antonio-brown-jesse-washington-espn-undefeated-steelers/stories/201809140165

- - - Updated - - -

https://stillcurtain.com/2014/04/27/pittsburgh-steelers-antonio-brown-lashes-ryan-clark/

- - - Updated - - -

https://fanbuzz.com/nfl/ben-roethlisberger-antonio-brown-sideline-gatorade-cooler/

DesertSteel
09-17-2018, 07:24 PM
Just more of the same crap fest that Tomlin is permissive of.

Shoes
09-17-2018, 07:28 PM
https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/09/14/antonio-brown-jesse-washington-espn-undefeated-steelers/stories/201809140165

That's some theology there. Whatever AB said aside, I think some of his frustration is he still doesn't have a SB ring. Sanders has one and didn't work as hard as he did, father time is creeping closer to Ben and AB and I think he's feeling that, plus the team comes out playing crappy, so this year doesn't look promising. I think thats where this trade talk is coming from.

lipps83
09-17-2018, 08:15 PM
little timeline for my reasoning to call Brown a douche and a dickhead of a human being ....

Yes, I get it. Does AB do some not so smart things sometimes? Sure, we all do. AB has his reasons for doing some of the things he does, he has that right. Just like you have a right to call him a douche and a dickhead. In his mind, his actions are justified, just as yours are justified in your mind.

Neither one of you are right because neither one of you are wrong. You can't call AB wrong subjectively. You can only do it objectively from your perspective which is outside of his. You are on the outside looking in and have no idea of what his thoughts are and you project automatically (everyone does this) what you would do in that situation, which is why you think his actions are wrong. Just because you would do something different it doesn't make him wrong. He is probably more frustrated at all of this than you are. The difference between you and him is he is one person defending himself to millions, and you are one of millions ridiculing him for something you really don't know anything about. He cannot win. Publicly calling him a douche isn't going to help him at all and is just volleying forward that negativity and nobody needs that.

And we all do that from time to time. I understand. I get it because I do it sometimes too. I just did it with you.

His generation is different from yours. His upbringing is different from yours. His perspective of life is different from yours. His is not better just as yours is not better. They are only different.

It is much easier to adjust your thinking to your environment than to expect your environment to adjust to your thinking.

I do apologize to you as well.

Mojouw
09-17-2018, 08:21 PM
Pretty well stated above. I personally struggle with the need to judge these guys as human beings. I could not possibly care less. I have all the friends and role models I will ever need. I just need these guys to play well on Sundays and stay out of jail. It would be nice if they were good people too, but not something I lose sleep over.

teegre
09-17-2018, 10:11 PM
To answer an earlier question:

If we win the Super Bowl, I’d be fine with trading AB. He’s a generational type of player, but (for those of us old enough to remember) so was Hershel Walker.

1. Win Super Bowl.
2. Trade AB to the team with the #1 overall pick.
3. Acquire their R1 and R2 picks.
4. Draft Ed Oliver or Nick Bosa.***
4-a. Play more 4-3.
5. At 32, BPA at CB
6. At 33, BPA at ILB

***Or, draft Justin Herbert***

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
09-17-2018, 10:17 PM
I wouldn't trade AB for anything unless he would really want out like Bell. I would want as much as The Raiders got for Mack then.

teegre
09-17-2018, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't trade AB for anything unless he would really want out like Bell. I would want as much as The Raiders got for Mack then.

The #1 overall pick alone is probably worth it. I love AB. He’s the best receiver I’ve ever seen (and I grew up idolizing Jerry Rice). But, if I could get two high draft picks to fix this defense, I’d do it.

As someone here would say:
D wins championships.

hawaiiansteeler
09-18-2018, 02:09 AM
The #1 overall pick alone is probably worth it. I love AB. He’s the best receiver I’ve ever seen (and I grew up idolizing Jerry Rice). But, if I could get two high draft picks to fix this defense, I’d do it.

As someone here would say:
D wins championships.

but that's the risk, you might draft Cam Heyward and T J Watt or Artie Burns and Bud Dupree...

86WARD
09-18-2018, 06:27 AM
but that's the risk, you might draft Cam Heyward and T J Watt or Artie Burns and Bud Dupree...

Exactly. And why give up one of the most talented players in the league to take that risk? No thanks.

teegre
09-18-2018, 06:37 AM

It’s a calculated risk.

After year 10 in the NFL, the numbers for receivers drop off of a cliff. Megatron retired after 9 seasons; so, we don’t really know if he would have seen a decline. Jerry Rice (the only receiver I could find with good numbers in his 30s) had 11 good seasons, then an off year, then a good one, then two off...

As I’ve iterated: AB is the best WR I’ve seen. But, if we win the Super Bowl, I’d bet on Ben retiring... and we’d be in rebuild mode. Also, just like the early years with Ben and/or during the Legion of Boom years (or, even Cowher’s teams of the 90s) have a young and/or cheap QB... and use your extra cap space to load up on defense. If AB could bring a blue chip defensive player (possibly two) it’d be worth the risk.

Dwinsgames
09-18-2018, 10:31 AM
and the pot thickens .... more drama from the master Diva

Dwinsgames
09-18-2018, 10:43 AM

Dwinsgames
09-18-2018, 10:52 AM
coming up in just a few Mins .. Tomlins presser https://www.steelers.com/video/live-mike-tomlin-weekly-press-conference

AtlantaDan
09-18-2018, 11:08 AM

Dwinsgames
09-18-2018, 11:31 AM
beware of false prophets ..................

cancer can show up in many forms and often times it can be one of your best players ...

T.O.
Moss
AB ?

86WARD
09-18-2018, 11:34 AM
and the pot thickens .... more drama from the master Diva

Tomlin wasn’t there either. Is Monday a mandatory facility day?

Dwinsgames
09-18-2018, 11:41 AM

monday is film study /breakdown day and meetings ...

tuesday is a normal off day

wednesday back to work and game plan for the next opponent

AtlantaDan
09-18-2018, 11:42 AM

Tomlin was not available to media yesterday - just a wild guess Tomlin was in the building

As Dwinsgame posted, Dulac article said Monday is meetings and film review

With Tuesday being an off day, Tomlin meeting with Brown clearly is designed to address what one Tomlinism refers to as "popcorn"

Dwinsgames
09-18-2018, 11:52 AM
AB has a choice to make IMO ... get on the moving train or stay at the station and wait for another train ....

this team has to many issues to allow him to be 1 more in that long list ... sure he is a great player but he is also a detriment to the team ...

team is not spelled MEMEME-AB-MEME-AB-MEME-Bell-MEMEME....

Trade his ass for a pair of 1's ..... contact Bell tell him to get his ass in sign the tag and we will give him a trade and see if it works if it does trade his ass too and then hold a team meeting and say ok who wants to be NEXT ?

These are our new expectations get on board or come to my office and formally request a trade ...

get rid of the headaches or make them check the attitude at the door

st33lersguy
09-18-2018, 11:56 AM
I really cant defend this, show up for work! Also Tomlin is losing control of the locker room

Mojouw
09-18-2018, 12:07 PM
I really like how everyone gets on the team for being dramatic and airing their laundry in public view. Then when Tomlin basically says, "Yeah, I aint telling any of you all family business" everyone freaks out and assumes it is because he is helping AB bury a body.

"Not going to get into the details of why he wasn’t here, whether he was excused and all those things. I’m going to leave those things in-house.”
https://steelersdepot.com/2018/09/tomlin-confirms-antonio-brown-didnt-report-monday-wont-say-if-it-was-excused/

You all may as well be teenage girls passing notes at lunch.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIKX_tEUAAMGxgb.jpg

86WARD
09-18-2018, 12:16 PM
I really like how everyone gets on the team for being dramatic and airing their laundry in public view. Then when Tomlin basically says, "Yeah, I aint telling any of you all family business" everyone freaks out and assumes it is because he is helping AB bury a body.

"Not going to get into the details of why he wasn’t here, whether he was excused and all those things. I’m going to leave those things in-house.”
https://steelersdepot.com/2018/09/tomlin-confirms-antonio-brown-didnt-report-monday-wont-say-if-it-was-excused/

This is what the whole team should be doing. Burying the body together. Ben summed it up best with his comments in regards to social media.

Mojouw
09-18-2018, 12:18 PM
This is what the whole team should be doing. Burying the body together. Ben summed it up best with his comments in regards to social media.

Which were?

86WARD
09-18-2018, 12:21 PM
Which were?

Don’t do it.

That’s his policy.

Dwinsgames

no guess work needed ... by Tomlin saying I am not going to tell you if it was excused or not but I plan on talking to him about it today SCREAMS it was not excused or he would not need to have a conversation with him about it on an off day

86WARD
Also went in to say that players get in trouble when they respond to the mentions.

Fire Goodell
09-18-2018, 12:23 PM
PRACTICE? Not the game, not the game, that, AB plays every one like it's his last, we talkin bout practice man

BlackAndGold
09-18-2018, 12:24 PM

Dwinsgames
09-18-2018, 12:26 PM
PRACTICE? Not the game, not the game, that, AB plays every one like it's his last, we talkin bout practice man

Mandatory ......
not voluntary ............

Team ... not MEMEME-AB-MEMEME

AtlantaDan
09-18-2018, 12:36 PM

If Rosenhaus is not just bullshitting, Tomlin did not do any favors for Brown by not saying it was a personal matter during the press conference

Screaming at coaches, then sitting with the kickers on the bench, and walking away after Ben scores a TD is "encouraging his coaches and teammates to win"

Got it:sofunny:

Bouchette has his suspicions on the "personal matter" but since Brown has called Ed B. a racist I guess he is biased

Rosenhaus said he informed team of AB missing for personal mater, Tomlin seemed to have no idea… Who is telling the truth?

Ed Bouchette - Sounds like Rosenhaus covering up for someone.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/09/18/ed-bouchette-steelers-chat-9-18-18/stories/201809180131

Born2Steel
09-18-2018, 12:45 PM
These threads are all becoming part of the same joke.

Since Sunday, today being Tuesday, I have seen....

Ben sucks
Trade AB
Fire Tomlin
Fire Fichtner
Fire Butler
Fire Porter
Fire Smith
Replace the punter
Dupree sucks
Burns sucks
Cut Davis (I said replace this offseason too)
Bostic is terrible
Burnett is either hurt or terrible
Edmunds looks lost and is terrible
Sutton sucks
Hilton is too short
Conner has proven we don't need Bell

You guys have almost convinced me there is no chance to win a game this season. But then I remember the past 40 years and that it's not how you start the season but how you finish that is important. Until we get mathematically eliminated from the playoffs I still have sights on the SB. Seasons are weird and take many turns you don't see coming.

Mojouw
09-18-2018, 12:48 PM
Don’t do it.

That’s his policy.

Also went in to say that players get in trouble when they respond to the mentions.

Shocklingly reasonable and responsible policy. Too bad not many will follow it.

I think fans past a certain age can not really fathom how and why players under a certain age feel the almost instinctual need to social media everything.

They've done studies and have demonstrated that social media works like a drug on your dopamine (pleasure/reward centers) brain structures same as an addictive narcotic. It was designed that way. Any surprise that egocentric individuals gravitate towards that?

Also, I work almost daily with young people half my age. It is staggering to see how differently we approach and view social media. Things that I find invasive and totally out of bounds they view as legitimate items to share.

lipps83
09-18-2018, 12:48 PM
Its just too bad Antonio Brown is not the flawless savior this world needs like Josh Rowntree is. I found this tweet just a bit ago.

http://i65.tinypic.com/xr5up.jpg

Edman
09-18-2018, 12:49 PM
It just keeps getting more laughable.

This is exactly what some on here are talking about. It isn't just one isolated incident, its one snowball turning into an avalanche of drama. One thing leading to another. AB would've served himself well by shutting up or shutting up his agent, nope, Drew opens his mouth to do damage control and makes AB look like even more of an ass, and making things worse.

Mojouw
09-18-2018, 12:50 PM
no guess work needed ... by Tomlin saying I am not going to tell you if it was excused or not but I plan on talking to him about it today SCREAMS it was not excused or he would not need to have a conversation with him about it on an off day

I mean if you want to read it that way - you can. If you want to read it another way - you can. Both are viable interpretations based on the available information.

Remember the whole Bell walk-through debacle last season? It was breathless reported that Bell just ghosted. Then more informed parties weighed in (or got their stories straight depending on your POV) and it turns out Bell did exactly what the team knew he was going to do.

AtlantaDan
09-18-2018, 04:06 PM
Team AB rallies to defend their idol while not making it personal :chuckle:

And Tomlin with the understatement of the week

"I'm looking forward to visiting with him today and discussing (the absence) and some other things," .... I understand sometimes you have some negativity.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24723110/agent-says-antonio-brown-want-trade-pittsburgh-steelers

Fire Goodell
09-18-2018, 04:12 PM
lol what's funny is some fat dude telling someone to lose some weight

st33lersguy
09-18-2018, 04:13 PM
I'm sick of the drama, and sick of Tomlin putting up with the drama.

Lady Steel
09-18-2018, 04:20 PM
LMFAO @ the Twitterheads posting their own tweets on this board for their own self-promotion like they're somebody. Twitter is a cesspool.

The majority of the fanbase is not on Twitter. You know, normal people who actually care more about their spouses, children, work, friends, etc., instead of hanging out on message boards and Twitter 24-7. Jesus.

I've never seen so many grown men drone on and on and on and on about the same subjects ad nauseam. Seriously, get a life.

Dwinsgames
09-18-2018, 04:37 PM
funny I could have sworn you where on twitter .

and I know you are ... ladysteel_83 or some shit I cant exactly recall because you are on my blocked list for starting shit on the other board but I digress

cold-hard-steel
09-18-2018, 04:40 PM
LMFAO @ the Twitterheads posting their own tweets on this board for their own self-promotion like they're somebody. Twitter is a cesspool.

The majority of the fanbase is not on Twitter. You know, normal people who actually care more about their spouses, children, work, friends, etc., instead of hanging out on message boards and Twitter 24-7. Jesus.

I've never seen so many grown men drone on and on and on and on about the same subjects ad nauseam. Seriously, get a life.

Spoken like a true Lady . I must agree .

86WARD
09-18-2018, 04:58 PM

Lol

Mojouw
09-18-2018, 06:09 PM
I think the best part is that people use Twitter as a legitimate source of information and validation.

Like any idiot can just go on there and say something. As long as it is first and fairly loud, everyone just runs with it.

Then people run over here out of breath and panting like "Did you SEEE!!!! OMG! the thing! It happened! So Terrible!"

Hey, you got any facts and details there, you excited little guy? Oh, what's that, no? You have 140 characters of hyperbole? Cool. Cool. I'mma walk over here now...

Dwinsgames
09-18-2018, 06:13 PM
I think the best part is that people use Twitter as a legitimate source of information and validation.

Like any idiot can just go on there and say something. As long as it is first and fairly loud, everyone just runs with it.

Then people run over here out of breath and panting like "Did you SEEE!!!! OMG! the thing! It happened! So Terrible!"

Hey, you got any facts and details there, you excited little guy? Oh, what's that, no? You have 140 characters of hyperbole? Cool. Cool. I'mma walk over here now...

240 characters ... and if you follow the right people you do get a lot of info , sure sometimes its wrong but most times if careful in whom you listen to you get a pretty good feel for things ...

but hey " what do I know" I am just sitting in my lounge chair with my feet up complaining like the rest of you ...

nothing like a blow out win to right the ship and hopefully we get that Monday

Mojouw
09-18-2018, 06:16 PM
240 characters ... and if you follow the right people you do get a lot of info , sure sometimes its wrong but most times if careful in whom you listen to you get q pretty good fell for things ...

but hey " what do I know" I am just sitting in my lounge chair with my feet up complaining like the rest of you ...

nothing like a blow out win to right the ship and hopefully we get that Monday

I mean, I'm not on it. All I know of Twitter is what I see posted here and news sites. It seems like a wall of noise with a few gems in it. I kinda think of Twitter like the sewer pipe from Shawshank. Only with no guarantee of freedom at the end.

And to be clear, I don't know a blessed thing either. I just like to bash away at my keyboard and argue about the NFL.

AtlantaDan
09-18-2018, 06:20 PM
240 characters ... and if you follow the right people you do get a lot of info , sure sometimes its wrong but most times if careful in whom you listen to you get q pretty good fell for things ...

Agreed - hard to say much with the character limit above an Adam Schefter nugget but reporters now use it consistently to link to their stories and those of others for sports and other news. So those links can lead to something more substantive - it is the replies to a tweet where you can end up in a toxic waste dump

As you note it all depends on the quality of who you are checking on twitter as to what you can learn

Dwinsgames
09-18-2018, 06:43 PM
Agreed - hard to say much with the character limit above an Adam Schefter nugget but reporters now use it consistently to link to their stories and those of others for sports and other news. So those links can lead to something more substantive - it is the replies to a tweet where you can end up in a toxic waste dump

As you note it all depends on the quality of who you are checking on twitter as to what you can learn

exactly ...

I link some of my tweets here , its not because I think I am somebody or anything the like but it is hella lot easier to copy a link and post it here than to retype it again ...

but I do have NFL players following me , former players too so I get some info but nothing major ...

My favorite current steeler follow is VW he is usually upbeat and good spirited ... Moats was a great follow very interactive ..

former steelers who follow me Aaron Jones , Ernie Mills , Rocky Bleier , Alden Darby , Bryant McFadden , Josh Mauro ....
and several players from other teams that I had interviewed over the years during their draft year ....

so twitter can be a very cool tool / toy / information highway as well as entertainment .. like anything you just have to take what you hear with a grain of salt and if those grains start to accumulate then you may be on to something

teegre
09-18-2018, 07:14 PM
Rob Gronkowski was paid to do porn... until Roger Goodell intervened. Why would Roger do that!?! Gronk isn’t a Steeler... ergo, there was nothing wrong with his actions.

SteelersCanadian
09-19-2018, 04:57 PM
Let's trade the All-Pro, future Hall of Fame wide receiver -- and incur the $29M in dead cap it would cause as a result, mind you -- as the defense continues to be historically bad. And ya, they've been historically bad the last two home games.

I don't know what some of you are on, but let's ask the Raiders how they've enjoyed seeing their best player get traded for two first round picks. I'm sure they'd be overjoyed to tell you how that little experiment has been panning out for their defense.

Brown shouldn't and isn't getting traded. Full stop.

AtlantaDan
09-19-2018, 05:02 PM
Brown shouldn't and isn't getting traded. Full stop.

Or suspended

The Steelers will not punish receiver Antonio Brown with a suspension or one-game discipline and plan to use him Monday night in Tampa against the unbeaten Buccaneers, a team source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
It is possible, even likely, Brown will be fined...

Tomlin met with Brown on Tuesday...

“He and I met [Tuesday] for an extended period of time; I’ll leave the nature of that conversation between us,” Tomlin said Wednesday after Brown participated in the team’s 90-minute practice. “There was discipline involved for his missed meeting. Some of the other things we talked about extensively he’ll speak for himself.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/09/19/antonio-brown-suspension-discipline-steelers-social-media/stories/201809190135

Imposing a fine certainly should deter any future misconduct - hope AB can come up with enough money to pay the cable bill after he pays the fine

SteelersCanadian
09-19-2018, 05:06 PM
Or suspended

I'm going to be in the minority in this, but I honestly couldn't care less that he's not getting suspended. Whatever discipline Tomlin handed down to him shouldn't impact the rest of the offense.

0-1-1 talks. 0-2-1 may end your season before it really starts.

AtlantaDan
09-19-2018, 05:22 PM
I'm going to be in the minority in this, but I honestly couldn't care less that he's not getting suspended. Whatever discipline Tomlin handed down to him shouldn't impact the rest of the offense.

0-1-1 talks. 0-2-1 may end your season before it really starts.

Tomlin did it to Santonio Holmes in midseason (the Giants game?) when there was no guarantee the Steelers would make the 2008 playoffs, but that probably was to head off the league doing something after Holmes was busted for having pot while driving around downtown Pittsburgh

Fines are pointless for someone making what AB is - maybe make him run the steps after practice :chuckle:

Born2Steel
09-19-2018, 06:16 PM
I think he just misses Martavis.

vader29
09-19-2018, 09:10 PM

Shoes
09-19-2018, 09:14 PM

:lol:

GBMelBlount
09-19-2018, 09:15 PM
LOL

stillers4me
09-20-2018, 05:05 AM

AtlantaDan
09-20-2018, 01:18 PM
AB discusses the events of the past several days with his good friends in the Steelers media pack

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/09/20/antonio-brown-missed-work-steelers/stories/201809200139

Props to the guy who pointed out the game was tied when AB said he got upset when the Steelers were "down by 40"http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/images/smilies/chuckle.gif

I agree Monday night is too important to bench AB, but to paraphrase the rationale for the big banks getting bailed out ten years ago, AB is too big to bench - good luck with anything changing given that reality

As I posted earlier, a fine is pointless

Fire Goodell
09-20-2018, 01:38 PM
It's the equivalent of getting a parking ticket or speeding ticket, it still sucks even though you can easily afford it.

Mojouw
09-20-2018, 02:53 PM
The guy pointing out that the score was tied was just being a jerk. I mean they had been down by 3 Touchdowns not that long ago. They hadn't stopped the team all day and the offense had just stalled out again.

I mean, okay, for that drive/moment it was a tie game. But everyone watching and playing in it knew it hadn't been a close game for much of the contest.

I mean what if he had been napping on the bench? Should've been cool because it was tie game right? No need to get emotional?

This has to be one of the DUMBEST stories out of the Pittsburgh media in years. This is another reason I don't buy the "drama" hypothesis. I've been hesitant to lay it out, because people are gonna kill me for it. but here goes -- sports reporters are not very bright. In fact - most, not all, are pretty darn stupid. They ask the same questions over and over again, regardless of the answers or context. They are seemingly incapable of understanding anything that doesn't align with their narrow spectrum of experience and/or ANYTHING that requires nuance or complexity of thought.

So they ask their questions and they write their stories. Most of which is gonna be centered on how AB didn't know the score when he had his outburst and that he is just pissed that he doesn't get targets, etc. Because that is the most "understandable" version of events to them. Anything else makes their feeble brains hurt and they just don't do it.

BlackAndGold
09-20-2018, 03:15 PM
I would never talk to the media as a player.

AtlantaDan
09-20-2018, 04:09 PM
I would never talk to the media as a player.

I think the NFL requires you to be available to the media at some point each week between games - a star can limit availability to one day (Wednesday before practice is when Ben talks briefly - normal day for AB is Friday)

You think Belichick does those media conferences each week between games in front of the Dunkin‘ Donuts backdrop because he enjoys it? :chuckle:

AtlantaDan
09-20-2018, 04:24 PM
The guy pointing out that the score was tied was just being a jerk. I mean they had been down by 3 Touchdowns not that long ago. They hadn't stopped the team all day and the offense had just stalled out again.

I mean, okay, for that drive/moment it was a tie game. But everyone watching and playing in it knew it hadn't been a close game for much of the contest.

I mean what if he had been napping on the bench? Should've been cool because it was tie game right? No need to get emotional?

This has to be one of the DUMBEST stories out of the Pittsburgh media in years. This is another reason I don't buy the "drama" hypothesis. I've been hesitant to lay it out, because people are gonna kill me for it. but here goes -- sports reporters are not very bright. In fact - most, not all, are pretty darn stupid. They ask the same questions over and over again, regardless of the answers or context. They are seemingly incapable of understanding anything that doesn't align with their narrow spectrum of experience and/or ANYTHING that requires nuance or complexity of thought.

So they ask their questions and they write their stories. Most of which is gonna be centered on how AB didn't know the score when he had his outburst and that he is just pissed that he doesn't get targets, etc. Because that is the most "understandable" version of events to them. Anything else makes their feeble brains hurt and they just don't do it.

The NFL encourages this to have something to discuss between actual games (we are talking about a league that has turned college players running the 40 yard dash and doing multiple bench press reps into the multi-day combine extravaganza) and a reporter is going to do whatever it takes to draw page hits to their stories and tweets (which is the metric for achievement in the 2018 mediaverse)

If Goodell was made aware of The Ringer story this week on the Steelers off the field conduct being like that of a NBA team it was probably the highlight of his week - developing “personalities” is the goal - the marginal viewer or reader, which is who the NFL wants/needs to engage, does not give a rip about the Steelers chronic inability to defend four verticals routes

It’s strictly business :drink:

Dwinsgames
09-20-2018, 04:31 PM
I think the NFL requires you to be available to the media at some point each week between games - a star can limit availability to one day (Wednesday before practice is when Ben talks briefly - normal day for AB is Friday)

You think Belichick does those media conferences each week between games in front of the Dunkin‘ Donuts backdrop because he enjoys it? :chuckle:

they do require it , however .................

one could choose to handle it like this ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyUwanb_Cz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAe-caMBjDg

not saying its the right thing to do , but it can be done

86WARD
09-21-2018, 04:39 AM
I got the sense that AB was being somewhat sarcastic when he said they were down by 40 and when the reporter told him it was tied, he kind just looked at him like “no shit, I was being sarcastic”.

AtlantaDan
09-21-2018, 08:38 AM
I got the sense that AB was being somewhat sarcastic when he said they were down by 40 and when the reporter told him it was tied, he kind just looked at him like “no shit, I was being sarcastic”.

If you watch AB interviews the gears start to grind once someone throws him off the script

He is a physically gifted HOF wide receiver who is not very comfortable with many other aspects of having a high profile and the media attention that now goes with 24/7 coverage of everything in the NFL (other than getting the endorsement $$$)- nothing wrong with that.

Unlike Bell his teammates still support him so everything else is just elevator music.

HollywoodSteel
09-21-2018, 12:46 PM
If you watch AB interviews the gears start to grind once someone throws him off the script

He is a physically gifted HOF wide receiver who is not very comfortable with many other aspects of having a high profile and the media attention that now goes with 24/7 coverage of everything in the NFL (other than getting the endorsement $$$)- nothing wrong with that.

Unlike Bell his teammates still support him so everything else is just elevator music.

He is not just “physically gifted.” He was drafted in the 6th round because he’s less physically gifted than guys who just get by on natural talent.

Yet he is the best.

Why? Because he works HARDER and BETTER than anyone.

There is no doubt he puts more discipline and work into his craft than ANYONE on the other side of that mic puts into theirs.

He is BETTER at his job than any of them and probably any of us.

I totally get why someone who works SO MUCH HARDER AND BETTER at his job than those who criticize him might get a little annoyed now and then.

Think about it for just a second from AB’s POV. He isn’t just better at his job than absolutely ANYONE who writes about him or tweets about him because he won some lottery of nature; it’s because of his work ethic. If any of these “writers” worked at their craft the way AB works at his, they’d be winning Pulitzer’s.

Sometimes with genius comes quirkiness others simply don’t understand. AB is a kind of “genius” in his craft... and he works SO DAMN HARD AT IT. Maybe that passion comes with extra sensitivity or other quirks that are difficult for others to totally get. So be it.

AB has EARNED everything by himself. Let ONE person who works harder than he does speak up...

Crickets. Especially from ANY members of the media.

Am I saying they don’t have the right to sleepwalk through their second rate lives and write whatever they want? No. They’ll never be good enough journalists to achieve much more than they are achieving. Let them write their stupid articles questioning the commitment and work ethic of someone that puts their own laziness and mediocrity into proper perspective.

But I for one will never judge AB as anything but an inspiration until a single day comes where I work harder at my craft than he does at his. And I’ve had a few good days here and there. :)

86WARD
09-21-2018, 01:06 PM
He is not just “physically gifted.” He was drafted in the 6th round because he’s less physically gifted than guys who just get by on natural talent.

Yet he is the best.

There is no doubt he puts more discipline and work into his craft than ANYONE on the other side of that mic puts into theirs.

I totally get why someone who works SO MUCH HARDER AND BETTER at his job than those who criticize him might get a little annoyed now and then.

Think about it for just a second from AB’s POV. He isn’t just better at his job than absolutely ANYONE who writes about him or tweets about him because he won some lottery of nature; it’s because of his work ethic. If any of these “writers” worked at their craft the way AB works at his, they’d be winning Pulitzer’s.

Sometimes with genius comes quirkiness others simply don’t understand. AB is a kind of “genius” in his craft... and he works SO DAMN HARD AT IT. Maybe that passion comes with extra sensitivity or other quirks that are difficult for others to totally get. So be it.

AB has EARNED everything by himself. Let ONE person who works harder than he does speak up...

Am I saying they don’t have the right to sleepwalk through their second rate lives and write whatever they want? No. They’ll never be good enough journalists to achieve much more than they are achieving. Let them write their stupid articles questioning the commitment and work ethic of someone that puts their own laziness and mediocrity into proper perspective.

But I for one will never judge AB as anything but an inspiration until a single day comes where I work harder at my craft than he does at his. And I’ve had a few good days here and there. :)

Not to mention every single combine number out there is overrated. The only thing that really matters is speed, strength, smarts, etc. that a player has on the football field. All those other “measurables” are garbage.

Mojouw
09-21-2018, 01:12 PM
The NFL encourages this to have something to discuss between actual games (we are talking about a league that has turned college players running the 40 yard dash and doing multiple bench press reps into the multi-day combine extravaganza) and a reporter is going to do whatever it takes to draw page hits to their stories and tweets (which is the metric for achievement in the 2018 mediaverse)

If Goodell was made aware of The Ringer story this week on the Steelers off the field conduct being like that of a NBA team it was probably the highlight of his week - developing “personalities” is the goal - the marginal viewer or reader, which is who the NFL wants/needs to engage, does not give a rip about the Steelers chronic inability to defend four verticals routes

It’s strictly business :drink:

Great points.

But that is why the discussions here about "culture" and "drama" drive me up a wall. I can get surface "analysis" of the NFL or the Steelers anywhere. What I come here for is a place to have a detailed discussion with knowledgeable folks about just the fact that the Steelers can't defend four verticals and why their brains appear to melt whenever they mix zone and man coverages.

:tt03:

AtlantaDan
09-21-2018, 01:22 PM

Yet he is the best.

Sorry I was not sufficiently laudatory in my posts about the “genius” known as AB

Since I assume you are an adult are pro athletes actually a source of inspiration rather than just entertainment to you?

Not talking about someone like Ryan Shazier who is dealing with a terrible injury but just someone who plays a game well
:drink:

HollywoodSteel
09-21-2018, 02:41 PM
Sorry I was not sufficiently laudatory in my posts about the “genius” known as AB

Since I assume you are an adult are pro athletes actually a source of inspiration rather than just entertainment to you?

Not talking about someone like Ryan Shazier who is dealing with a terrible injury but just someone who plays a game well
:drink:

I was not criticizing your post. Just using it as a launching point. I was just pointing out that AB’s greatness in particular comes from transcending his natural physical gifts, rather than relying on them. He happened to be lucky enough to have the sufficient physical attributes that COULD be maximized to achieve greatness in football through the kind of hard work and discipline that very few people in ANY field are willing or able to apply. If he happened to have a natural talent for writing, and applied his work ethic to becoming the best at THAT, he’d probably be one of the very best at it by now. He certainly would be better at it than any of the writers who are hacky enough to be criticizing his work ethic now.

You don’t have to apologize for being insufficiently laudatory.

Shazier is a different type of inspiration. But I don’t believe you have to be hurt or be dealing with a tragedy to be an inspiration.

Outworking most human beings on the planet at any field is something I find inspiring. The discipline and application to MAXIMIZE your potential at ANY GUVEN CRAFT is, and should be, something to find inspiring. I hope the guy with the mental POTENTIAL to cure cancer or achieve more substantial heights than playing football agrees with me on this, and doesn’t limit his field of inspirational vision to those who befall some sort or tragedy.

Anyone can criticize AB for anything if it makes them feel better to do so or helps pay their bills as a writer. I suppose we are fundamentally stuck with the type of sportswriters who lack AB’s work ethic and dedication, seeing as any writer who comes close to working THAT hard and passionately at the craft of journalism would be giants in their field too.

And there is a savant-like quality to be capable of perfecting any craft the way a Jerry Rice or Antonio Brown have perfected theirs. “Genius” is a word that can apply to more than IQ. But semantics aside, I’m not surprised that it comes with quirks... like obsessive compulsiveness or sensitivity to irrational and hypocritical criticism.

AB is not beyond criticism as a football player. I’m sure he’s harder on himself, and probably better at criticizing his own technical mistakes than anyone who writes about him.

But to criticize his commitment to his craft and to his team is kind of laughable. His emotions on the sidelines were clearly misinterpreted, per the OC himself, and the reason for his absence from team functions on Monday is unknown. It seems that he informed his coaches of it but didn’t get permission.

If that’s the case the specific act can be rationally criticized, and I expect Tomlin rationally criticized him. I’m glad Tomlin and the Steelers organization aren’t stupid enough to bench him or trade him for the infraction.

But the idea put forth by some that he is an overall bad teammate, let alone a “cancer” is funny to me.

Not laugh out loud funny. But still funny.