PDA

View Full Version : Ben R. A Tale of Two (and a Half) Halves.

Craic
09-09-2018, 06:12 PM
So, there's threads popping up that Ben was bad today, and several posts along that route as well. I thought so as well, in the first half, but I also thought he got it together in the second half so I went back to check out the stats to see if my memory was correct. Here's what I found. (Note, I counted every throw, including those that were erased by penalty).

In the first half, he had 50 percent completion rating and threw for only 95 yards. That gave him 23.95 QBR for the first half.

In the second half, however, he had a 61.5 percent completion rating and a QBR of 126. That's a good (half)day at the office. (and counting only 1 TDs, although three throws went for TDs. But, again, I'm counting throws erased by penalty. If I had included the TD on the two penalties, his QBR would have been 140).

In overtime, he increased his completion percent again, to 63.6 with a 86.5 percent QBR.

Now, I know, that doesn't count his fumbles or his sacks. However, I'm not arguing he had a great half or that he doesn't bear much of the weight for the loss. I'm simply arguing that Ben's entire day didn't suck. He sucked the first half, and then came out and had a pretty good game the second half. That gives me serious hope going forward that we're not going to see a repeat of last year where it took him 6 games to hit his stride.

polamalubeast
09-09-2018, 06:17 PM
I'm expecting a great game from him next week

Firstly, Ben is too good to be a turnovers machine once again and he will not play against Myles Garrett ...

Justin Houston is not the same player he was before ...

Still he can't hold the ball for too long like he was in his 2 fumbles...

FrancoLambert
09-09-2018, 06:23 PM
Seems like some of us are looking for a silver lining regarding Ben’s performance today when there just isn’t one there.

Craic
09-09-2018, 06:48 PM
Seems like some of us are looking for a silver lining regarding Ben’s performance today when there just isn’t one there.
Not really. Seems more like some of us just want to complain rather than assess both positive and negatives.

cubanstogie
09-09-2018, 07:00 PM
I’ll give you credit for being a glass half full kinda guy, throw out stats and do the eye test and Ben had a pretty bad second half as well. Besides turnovers had some missed opportunities. He’ll be back we all know that. 5 pics in a game last year. Even with poor play shoulda gotta W,a 42 yard fg is normally automatic for Boz

Craic
09-09-2018, 07:09 PM
I’ll give you credit for being a glass half full kinda guy, throw out stats and do the eye test and Ben had a pretty bad second half as well. Besides turnovers had some missed opportunities. He’ll be back we all know that. 5 pics in a game last year. Even with poor play shoulda gotta W,a 42 yard fg is normally automatic for Boz

The problem with the "eye test" is it's very biased and basically a way of saying "My opinion is right! Damn the facts!" That's precisely why I went back to see what his stats were between the first and second half, because I suspected many were taking the first half and ignoring the second half to make their argument.

Note, I didn't say he had a good game or even a great half. Rather, I said he had a good half (statistically), which means he was doing some things well. He also did a few things poorly in the second half; but to say things like he sucked ass is exactly what the eye-test does, it leads you to reactions with more basis in emotion
than reality.

cubanstogie
09-09-2018, 08:13 PM
The problem with the "eye test" is it's very biased and basically a way of saying "My opinion is right! Damn the facts!" That's precisely why I went back to see what his stats were between the first and second half, because I suspected many were taking the first half and ignoring the second half to make their argument.

Note, I didn't say he had a good game or even a great half. Rather, I said he had a good half (statistically), which means he was doing some things well. He also did a few things poorly in the second half; but to say things like he sucked ass is exactly what the eye-test does, it leads you to reactions with more basis in emotion
than reality.I get it, its too easy to say he sucked and not look at the whole picture. Some positive stats put a little more perspective on it. I by no means meant to say my opinion is right by the way. My opinion is just that, mine only. Im just too disappointed in Bens play to give him credit for anything in second half. I love to stick up for Ben and say he's elite, has 2 SB's, IMO one of the best in 2 minute offense. But today I couldn't help telling a buddy of mine that Brady, Rogers, Brees just don't do some of the crap Ben does. First drive they had in red zone and he throws into triple coverage and just gave up points. With that said, this happens every year and he always comes back with All Pro numbers. I still expect to be in the AFC championship and hopefully play Vikes in SB, just frustrated at giving a win away. The good thing about a tie IMO is we don't have to look at tie breaker scenarios at end of year. It will be obvious.

Craic
09-09-2018, 08:43 PM
I get it, its too easy to say he sucked and not look at the whole picture. Some positive stats put a little more perspective on it. I by no means meant to say my opinion is right by the way. My opinion is just that, mine only. Im just too disappointed in Bens play to give him credit for anything in second half. I love to stick up for Ben and say he's elite, has 2 SB's, IMO one of the best in 2 minute offense. But today I couldn't help telling a buddy of mine that Brady, Rogers, Brees just don't do some of the crap Ben does. First drive they had in red zone and he throws into triple coverage and just gave up points. With that said, this happens every year and he always comes back with All Pro numbers. I still expect to be in the AFC championship and hopefully play Vikes in SB, just frustrated at giving a win away. The good thing about a tie IMO is we don't have to look at tie breaker scenarios at end of year. It will be obvious.

Now, on this there's a lot upon which we can agree. Ben does seem to have his off-days and off-games, and he has two or three of them (or more some years). That, I think, is the one thing that separates him from the top echelon of QBs. I still think he's HOF worthy with the career he's had. And, yes, that triple coverage throw had me shaking my head as well. Let's hope you're right about the AFCCG!

HollywoodSteel
09-09-2018, 08:44 PM
I’m not arguing that he sucked as badly as some are saying he did. He obviously did some positive things in the second half to get us the 14 point lead, but... after establishing THAT dominating of a run game, it kind of makes a QB’s job a LITTLE easier... hence the whole “run to set up the pass” stuff people like to talk about.

And big leads can sometimes help soften the pass defense too. So yeah, if our HOF quality QB couldn’t get a few decent stats under those conditions, I’d be downright frightened probably.

It’s not like he had to come from behind or anything. Ever.

And the part where I’d say he was worse in the 2nd half, is the ending part of games where your HOF QB is supposed to be the guy who wins it for you if he just has ONE more possession... or two. Or three. Or however many opportunities Ben had to just score one more time against the Browns... that’s when a few harmless stat-padding passes aren’t so important, but what tends to be more important is the “you succeeded” or “you didn’t” part.

At that point it becomes more of a pass/fail test than grading on a curve.

I’m not all doom and gloom about Ben. He’ll bounce back.

But this game, he basically gets a failing grade... because he failed when NOT FAILING really mattered.

And I suppose that’s not entirely fair since one of those four or five chances he had, he DID get into Boz’s usual range... but in those conditions, just BARELY.

FrancoLambert
09-10-2018, 07:02 AM
Not really. Seems more like some of us just want to complain rather than assess both positive and negatives.

Seems like some of us forget that the object of playing the game and keeping score is to win it.
Sure there were some positives to take from the tie.
The most important thing to take from yesterday’s game was we gave a win away.
I don’t grade the Steelers on a curve.

tube517
09-10-2018, 11:58 AM
Nowhere near as bad as the regular season game vs Jax last year.

Yesterday, though, I wish he had done better when we really needed him.

1:58 left in the 4th quarter and the offense goes 3 and out on 3 passes. 2 incompletions and one 1 yd pass completion.

86WARD
09-10-2018, 12:35 PM
That game was all around bad. Miscommunications, errant passes, forcing the ball, ball through receivers hands...wasn’t all Ben’s fault but he didn’t play a good game. He was rather bad. Yesterday it seemed like he held the ball an extra long time...

Mojouw
09-10-2018, 01:22 PM
Seems like some of us forget that the object of playing the game and keeping score is to win it.
Sure there were some positives to take from the tie.
The most important thing to take from yesterday’s game was we gave a win away.
I don’t grade the Steelers on a curve.

I don't think anyone is trying to diminish the importance of winning. But the tenor of many of the negative comments after this, or any other Steelers loss - or even a close win, makes it sound as if the opposing team had no role in the outcome/events of the game.

How many turnovers did Garrett cause? 3? I mean that matters. Myles Garrett is/was better than AV on Sunday. It had a massive impact on the outcome of the game. Ben R looked like a rusty QB who was not pleased to be playing in a downpour.

But all we really hear about is things about "attitude", "playcalling", "preparation", etc. This intangible stuff that is basically the same as typing out:

"Whenever the Pittsburgh Steelers take the field they should win by 3 scores. If they do not, the lazy players were unfocused and the coaches didn't wave their magic coaching wands hard enough."

What I feel I saw on Sunday is a pretty darn good defensive effort wasted by a clunker of a game by the QB -- aided by a dominant game from Myles Garrett. All in all, I feel pretty positive because there are only about 4 guys in the league who can have a Garrett like impact on the game.

Craic
09-10-2018, 03:14 PM
I don't think anyone is trying to diminish the importance of winning. But the tenor of many of the negative comments after this, or any other Steelers loss - or even a close win, makes it sound as if the opposing team had no role in the outcome/events of the game.

How many turnovers did Garrett cause? 3? I mean that matters. Myles Garrett is/was better than AV on Sunday. It had a massive impact on the outcome of the game. Ben R looked like a rusty QB who was not pleased to be playing in a downpour.

But all we really hear about is things about "attitude", "playcalling", "preparation", etc. This intangible stuff that is basically the same as typing out:

"Whenever the Pittsburgh Steelers take the field they should win by 3 scores. If they do not, the lazy players were unfocused and the coaches didn't wave their magic coaching wands hard enough."

What I feel I saw on Sunday is a pretty darn good defensive effort wasted by a clunker of a game by the QB -- aided by a dominant game from Myles Garrett. All in all, I feel pretty positive because there are only about 4 guys in the league who can have a Garrett like impact on the game.

THIS . . . and the fact that the "clunker" occurred more in the first half than the second half despite what the popular narrative is for Ben. Sure, he got strip-sacked, but he also had a QB rating of 126 in the second half. You simply do not get that high of a QB rating while stinking it up. That said, I'll even admit the problem was him missing passes at crucial times. Of course, that also makes me point out that AB missed pretty much all of camp. JuJu missed a decent amount of work in the spring and during camp. That's your top two receivers. And then, MacDonald wasn't there, who was Ben's #1 TE as well. So, I can't really blame him for not having his timing down, either.

DesertSteel
09-10-2018, 04:24 PM
He turned the ball over in both halves, thus he was bad in both. Turnovers are the only reason they lost that game.

polamalubeast
09-10-2018, 04:26 PM
You can't turnovers 5 times,holy ****!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oSFYxDGKy8

hawaiiansteeler
09-10-2018, 04:42 PM
He turned the ball over in both halves, thus he was bad in both. Turnovers are the only reason they lost that game.

Ben threw 3 ints and lost 2 fumbles, we're not going to beat anybody with 5 turnovers from Ben alone.

Fire Goodell
09-10-2018, 05:11 PM
You can't turnovers 5 times,holy ****!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oSFYxDGKy8

We gave them the freaking game, in my opinion that sucks

teegre
09-11-2018, 06:52 AM
Myles Garrett caused two fumbles, because he’s probably the best pass-rusher in the NFL. (Khalil Mack disagrees, but by the end of the season, we will see that this is true.)

Ben made some bad decisions. Steelers Depot (or some site) highlighted how AB was eating Mitchell up... and could have had 200+ yards; yet, Ben (strangely) ignored AB. People are routinely criticizing Ben for “locking” onto AB, and maybe he was consciously trying to spread it around, but AB was open all day long... except when he was triple covered (one INT by Ben) and the handful of plays when Ward was covering him (another INT).

The rain caused one INT (slipped through Kesse James’ hands), but there were two or three other errant passes that “should” have been INTs. It all evens out.

Similarly, last night, Goff had trouble connecting with Cooks. They had ZERO preseason snaps together. As Steve Young stated: “Teams are willing to risk losing a game or two in September, in order to get out of the preseason healthy.” As in: Ben was having his preseason against the Browns... as opposed to risking injury in a meaningless game. And, it almost worked out that we got a win. #BenWILLbefine

DesertSteel
09-11-2018, 10:14 AM
The problem is that the Steelers are built to win games with last second FGs.... it didn't work this time.