PDA

View Full Version : Heroes/Goats @ Cleveland

Edman
09-09-2018, 03:59 PM
I'm undecided. It's a draw between both.

Anyway, I'm going to toss an honorable goat at Ben for five turnovers on his own.

st33lersguy
09-09-2018, 04:02 PM
Heroes? There's no heroues

Goats, everyone. That was a disgrace. The only thing that has changed from the disaster against Jacksonville is that things have gotten worse! Last year they would have managed to pull it out in the end after blowing the 14 point lead.

EzraTank
09-09-2018, 04:03 PM
Ben played poorly but this is what happens when you don't play in the preseason and it's pouring rain.

My biggest goat is Tomlin. He never has his team ready to beat bad teams.

Hero would have been Connor but his fumble killed us and he looked tired as shit in the last quarter. To me the hero is AB (barely).

86WARD
09-09-2018, 04:03 PM
Heroes - Conner and Watt. Easily. Both played excellent games.

Goat - Tomlin, Ben, Boz and the O-Line. Throw Artie Burns in there as well.

Mojouw
09-09-2018, 04:05 PM
Hero - Conner and Watt and the pass rush

Goat - Ben R.

43Hitman
Heroes - Conner and Watt. Easily. Both played excellent games.

Goat - Tomlin, Ben, Boz and the O-Line. Throw Artie Burns in there as well.

This! Ugh...some piss poor performances from several players.

steelcityboyz
Connor and Watt played well

Ben sucked ass

BlackAndGold
09-09-2018, 04:07 PM
Goats

Ben
Tomlin
O-Line(My lord Big Al can't handle Garrett)
Burns
Boswell
Conner(yes big day statically. But he fumbled which lead to a TD)

Hero's
Watt
Conner(Yes he's on both)
JuJu/AB

Mojouw
09-09-2018, 04:07 PM
WTF does "ready to beat bad teams" even mean? What could Tomlin have done differently?

The pass rush was relentless. The run game was good. The secondary played well and even the LBs looked fine. Sound game-plan. The star QB crapped the bed. How is it more complex than that?

Don't over complicate things. The QB was directly responsible for the other team scoring at least 14 points and from missing big throws taking 10 points off the board for his team.

Neversatisfied
09-09-2018, 04:08 PM
Conner and Watt played great
Ben was rusty
Tomlin was outcoached (as usual)
The defense minus Watt was a dumpster fire

Mojouw
09-09-2018, 04:08 PM
Goats

Ben
Tomlin
O-Line(My lord Big Al can't handle Garrett)
Burns
Boswell
Conner(yes big day statically. But he fumbled which lead to a TD)

Hero's
Watt
Conner(Yes he's on both)
JuJu/AB

To be totally fair, no one can handle Garrett.

Edman
09-09-2018, 04:12 PM

Backed up to their own one thanks to a fumble, and Cam Sutton was picked on.

Dealing with a junk offense, six turnovers, five by our "franchise QB". The Defense was more than adequate today.

steelcityboyz
09-09-2018, 04:13 PM
WTF does "ready to beat bad teams" even mean? What could Tomlin have done differently?

The pass rush was relentless. The run game was good. The secondary played well and even the LBs looked fine. Sound game-plan. The star QB crapped the bed. How is it more complex than that?

Don't over complicate things. The QB was directly responsible for the other team scoring at least 14 points and from missing big throws taking 10 points off the board for his team.Agreed, I'm not a big fan of Tomlin, but this loss was all Big Ben

tube517
09-09-2018, 04:14 PM

Dealing with a junk offense, six turnovers, five by our "franchise QB". The Defense was more than adequate today.

I agree. I don't think this was a dumpster fire defense.

The offense should have put this game away not give it away.

43Hitman
09-09-2018, 04:16 PM
Ben was rusty
So wait, you're contending that Tomlin coached those turnovers? :rolleyes3:

polamalubeast
09-09-2018, 04:16 PM
I'm going to defend Tomlin on that.

The team was ready and I would not be surprised if the browns have 7-8 wins this year.

The only complaint I have with Tomlin was being too conservative, but this game is about Ben

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, I'm not a big fan of Tomlin, but this loss was all Big Ben

Tie....

BlackAndGold
09-09-2018, 04:18 PM
To be totally fair, no one can handle Garrett.

I was just pointing out that the Browns officially have someone who can cause havoc, and no one should take these Browns lightly. For a decade they had the best pass blocker in Joe Thomas, now they seem to have the best pass rusher.

43Hitman
09-09-2018, 04:19 PM
I was just pointing out that the Browns officially have someone who can cause havoc, and no one should take these Browns lightly. For a decade they had the best pass blocker in Joe Thomas, now they seem to have the best pass rusher.

Yeah, he was a freaking nightmare today.

steelcityboyz
09-09-2018, 04:20 PM
I'm going to defend Tomlin on that.

The team was ready and I would not be surprised if the browns have 7-8 wins this year.

The only complaint I have with Tomlin was being too conservative, but this game is about Ben

- - - Updated - - -

Tie....Thanks i don't know what i was thinking lol

SteelerCountry58
09-09-2018, 04:20 PM
Major shitshow of a game. Did our best to give them the game and in pure Stains fashion they blew it. Watt and JuJu looked good as well as Conner. Ben was real bad, all I can really say about him without blasting out a profanity laced response.

st33lersguy
09-09-2018, 04:21 PM

Didn't make plays when they needed to. Plus 21 points against a mediocre QB and below average offense starting an undrafted rookie at LT. Cleveland ran at will when they tried to as well.

Mojouw
09-09-2018, 04:22 PM

Okay! Misread the intent. I think that Garrett is going to have a Mack or Von Miller level impact on the league this year. Just totally unstoppable. I figure he gets 1-3 sacks and causes havoc that directly leads to a turnover on an almost weekly basis.

The Browns defense is really good.

Craic
09-09-2018, 04:24 PM
Heroes:
Connor for all but one play
Watt
HM:Hilton, Davis, Bostic, AB (HM because it took him quite awhile to get going and had about a 60 percent reception rate today iirc).

Goats:
First half Ben
Fumbling Connor
Sutton
Boz
Second Half O Line.

BlackAndGold
09-09-2018, 04:24 PM
Okay! Misread the intent. I think that Garrett is going to have a Mack or Von Miller level impact on the league this year. Just totally unstoppable. I figure he gets 1-3 sacks and causes havoc that directly leads to a turnover on an almost weekly basis.

The Browns defense is really good.

I'm just glad they passed on Chubb, would've been a nightmare. Denzel Ward looks like a baller though. 2 ints and played AB well.

polamalubeast
09-09-2018, 04:25 PM
Didn't make plays when they needed to. Plus 21 points against a mediocre QB and below average offense starting an undrafted rookie at LT. Cleveland ran at will when they tried to as well.

7 points were the fault of our offense ... their second TD...Look at the stats of Taylor .... This is not very good ... Below 40% of complete pass

Our run defense was solid except for a drive (22 run for 62 yards for Hyde).

The browns had 15 offensive drives in this game at least, so they gave only 14 points, which is great

I'm not sold by this defense, but it was a great game by this defense

Steelerchad
09-09-2018, 04:25 PM
Would have given the hero to Conner, but his fumble was absolutely the turning point in the game. Without that fumble on 1st down, under 8 minutes to go, up 14 points, it's game over.
Watt is probably the hero.
Ben is easily the goat.

GoSlash27
09-09-2018, 04:33 PM
Hero: TJ Watt. He played lights out.
Goat: Big Ben. I blame this one on him 100%. Still, I'm sure he'll suck less next week. I think we'll be okay.

Best,
-Slashy

Shoes
09-09-2018, 04:35 PM
Artie Burns has a real problem between the ears and with his playing.

tube517
09-09-2018, 04:39 PM
I'm as pissed as anyone right now. But Juju had 5 catches for 119 yds. He showed up.

Ben probably should have thrown to him more while AB was hugging Todd Haley.

TJ Watt, 4 sacks

JJ Watt, 0 sacks

This makes this ridiculous tie even more frustrating.

EDIT: I love James Conner. Gotta hold on to the ball but played very well besides the fumble.

HollywoodSteel
09-09-2018, 04:40 PM
It seems like Ben needs to play A LOT in the last preseason game. He always sucks coming back from an injury, a bye, or any week he hasn’t played.

I have no idea why.

But I almost don’t want a playoff bye this year. Good thing we won’t get one.

Craic
09-09-2018, 04:49 PM

I'm not sure what game you were watching, but that absolutely isn't true. I think you're taking the first series of the second half and projecting it over the rest of the game. I also think you're confusing QB scrambles with true rushes. Outside of that one series and QB scrambles, the Browns' longest rushes were 13 yards, 9 yards, 7 yards, and 5 yards. Everything after that is four yards or less. Moreover, RBs rushed 30 times, and seven were dropped for a loss of yards. How many teams drop the other team's RB in the backfield 23 percent of the time?

I'm really not worried about our run defense. And, as for 21 points, well, 7 points was Sutton's fault—he got abused on two back-to-back pass plays. And, let's not forget the two turnovers deep in in their own side of the field. No, the story today isn't about a bad defense. It's about an offense that turned the ball over six times and played an entire half as though it were still preseason football.

Butch
09-09-2018, 04:54 PM
Hero is T.J., and Ju Ju
Goat is Ben

FrancoLambert
09-09-2018, 04:55 PM
Defense played much better than I expected. Bostic seemed to be around the ball a lot.
This loss was on Ben.

Hawkman
09-09-2018, 04:57 PM
Ben was rusty

Outcoached is laughable.

Somehow five turnovers Is the coaches fault. Any other team, five turnovers we would have been killed.

st33lersguy
09-09-2018, 04:58 PM
I'm not sure what game you were watching, but that absolutely isn't true. I think you're taking the first series of the second half and projecting it over the rest of the game. I also think you're confusing QB scrambles with true rushes. Outside of that one series and QB scrambles, the Browns' longest rushes were 13 yards, 9 yards, 7 yards, and 5 yards. Everything after that is four yards or less. Moreover, RBs rushed 30 times, and seven were dropped for a loss of yards. How many teams drop the other team's RB in the backfield 23 percent of the time?

I'm really not worried about our run defense. And, as for 21 points, well, 7 points was Sutton's fault—he got abused on two back-to-back pass plays. And, let's not forget the two turnovers deep in in their own side of the field. No, the story today isn't about a bad defense. It's about an offense that turned the ball over six times and played an entire half as though it were still preseason football.

177 rushing yards, 100 of them from RBs, 77 on 8 scrambles (yes scrambles by RBs do count, have to contain that). This was entirely a team failure today, both sides at fault

Mojouw
09-09-2018, 05:02 PM

Not going to make any headway. Folks just want to complain and compete to see who can have the most negative "hot take" after the game. Somewhere someone or other was complaining about the answers Tomlin gave in the post game presser. You know, in contrast to those detailed break-downs and in depth answers the other coaches give!

Steeldude
09-09-2018, 05:03 PM
The defense is still confused and undisciplined like Harrison stated. 13 men on the field?

Heroes: Watt, run blocking, Switzer, Conner(but that fumble was bad)

Goats: BR, Burns, pass blocking, pass defense, Tomlin, Fritz, Butler

Cyphon25
09-09-2018, 05:03 PM
Heroes

TJ Watt - Awesome performance from Watt and boy do we need him to work out since Dupree continues to look like a first round miss for us. Dupree isn't terrible but he isn't worth the first round money he is signed up for right now. Not only do we get the splash from Watt with sacks but he is a beast against the run as well. He will be in the conversation for our best defensive player at the end of this season.

James Conner - Great work from Conner barring the fumble which was pretty costly. He is young and growing pains will happen but the good far outweight the bad. Good vision, good catching out of the backfield, makes people miss, and is a punishing runner. I absolutely loved watching him go find his linemen after the first TD and I dunno if it was just my imagination but it seemed like after every run they were rallying to him to help him off of the field and stuff. Just shoving every success in the face of Bell.

I won't break down everyone but there were some other noteworthy performances on the defensive side. Heyward and Tuitt did there thing being constantly disruptive (it is going to be a treat watching them all season) and Sean Davis looked comfortable in his FS spot. Bostic and Williams looked good at ILB. Not great but with all of the concern it was a bit of a relief watching them together. Mike Hilton was his usual self as well.

Goats

Ben Roethlisberger - What do you say? Rusty, inaccurate, forcing throws and the turnovers were ugly. Not all on him but he has to be better. That game should have been like 35-7 and instead we got a tie.

I don't think Bud Dupree fully deserves it but he has to be better. He wasn't terrible but TJ Watt already looks like 10 times the player and Bud was facing a rookie LT. Villanueva deserves a bit of a mention as well for what he let Garrett do. The refs/football in general also deserves a mention. Some of these calls really do make me wonder how much longer I will enjoy the game at a high level. TJ Watt should have never been called for roughing the passer and that call on Josh Gordon was ridiculous based on what I saw.

polamalubeast
09-09-2018, 05:04 PM
177 rushing yards, 100 of them from RBs, 77 on 8 scrambles (yes scrambles by RBs do count, have to contain that). This was entirely a team failure today, both sides at fault

100 yards rushing yards on 30 run for the RB of the Browns and you said that this is bad?!...What!

Steeldude
09-09-2018, 05:06 PM
Artie Burns has a real problem between the ears and with his playing.

It's been that way since he was drafted and before. The guy is subpar.

polamalubeast
09-09-2018, 05:18 PM
It could be worse and more worrying for the steelers.

I mean, the saints gave 48 points against Ryan Fitzpatrick at home .... their defense could be one of the worst once again after be good only in first half of the season last year.

The steelers ..... the only reason why it was a TIE game was Ben ...

Bluecoat96
09-09-2018, 05:23 PM
So wait, you're contending that Tomlin coached those turnovers? :rolleyes3:Thank you!! Nothing Tomlin could do in those cases. Those turnovers don't happen, and we blow them out.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

st33lersguy
09-09-2018, 05:24 PM
100 yards rushing yards on 30 run for the RB of the Browns and you said that this is bad?!...What!

177 total rushing yards due to lack of contain and the defense leaving open space (scrambles count too)

Craic
09-09-2018, 05:29 PM

Yeah, and over half of the rest of those yards came in one drive right after halftime when the Browns made halftime adjustments. Funny how we always want to rail on coaching, but never want to credit the coaches for making on-the-fly adjustments after that first drive in the second half to limit them from doing it a second time.

177 total rushing yards due to lack of contain and the defense leaving open space (scrambles count too)
And NO, scramble yards and rush yards are not the same thing. One, you're playing the pass and the other, you're playing the run. They couldn't be more different. It's also why I didn't count sacks as lost yardage in my description as well. If I had, then it would have been even higher since the QB was sacked what, close to half a dozen times? The cry around here is that our rush defense sucked. Our rush defense played great today, again, except for one series, and they fixed that immediately.

polamalubeast
09-09-2018, 05:29 PM

The opponent can make good plays sometimes!!!

When you play against a running QB, of course you will give a lot of running yards and this will be the case for every opponent who will play against Taylor and the Browns(like it was the case with the Falcons and Vick in the past)

Iron Steeler
09-09-2018, 06:10 PM
Ben goat

Hero TJ Watt
for changing this from a loss to a tie

cubanstogie
09-09-2018, 06:11 PM

Don't over complicate things. The QB was directly responsible for the other team scoring at least 14 points and from missing big throws taking 10 points off the board for his team.exactly, the team was prepared, 21-7 lead with the ball middle fourth quarter. bens poor play, penalties killed this team not Tomlin

FrancoLambert
09-09-2018, 06:33 PM
This loss is on the players. Poor performance and execution did it, not coaching decisions.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
09-09-2018, 07:47 PM
Heroes JUJU, Switzer and the D
Goats Watt for not returning his block kick for TD

polamalubeast
09-09-2018, 07:58 PM
If you want to see a team not be ready to start the game, look at the packers right now against the bears ...or The saints defense.

Moose
09-09-2018, 08:01 PM
Hero's.....the fan's that watched this game and didn't destroy the TV
Goat's.....the Steeler's/coaches that couldn't hold onto a 2 TD lead to Clevel

teegre
09-09-2018, 08:10 PM

Yep... I thought that Heyward & Tuitt looked fantastic.

HollywoodSteel
09-09-2018, 09:30 PM
If I were Colbert I’d offer Bell to come back NOW and all is forgiven, or the day Bell DOES decide to sign his tag, he’ll be traded to the Jets for pretty much nothing.

He’ll be put on a bad team with one of the worst Oline’s in football for at least 6 games, and probably get injured there or at least overworked for no shot at sniffing the playoffs. Then, if he survives those games unhurt, the Jets and Colts can decide who wants him for the remainder of his sad career... that will all be downhill from his glory days as a Steeler. But he probably will not get anywhere near the deal he thinks he’ll get.

That, or Bell can be part a power backfield, and have a chance at a ring this year. :)

DesertSteel
09-09-2018, 10:05 PM
Good game for Watt, Bud, Juju and Conner.
Bad game for Ben and Boz.

Fire Goodell
09-10-2018, 02:41 AM
The team played good. Ben lost this game single handedly. He didn't look ready at all to play and his accuracy was as good as a sawed-off shotgun from 200 yards away.

I'm getting concerned that he started off the season last year exactly the same. I mean he's never been one for fast starts, but he's been downright terrible to start this season and last.

Top performers I'd say were Conner, Watt, and Juju.

Switzer looks like he was a good pickup. That kid's got a pair of steel balls and good return skills

tube517
09-10-2018, 05:29 AM
Another Goat: Jordan Berry

This guy has gone to Mitch Berger/Paul Ernster camp.
Some shanks out there yesterday.

Steeldude
09-10-2018, 05:51 AM
It can be hard to measure players on a bad weather day.

My issue is how is this team still confused on defense? 13 men on the field?

teegre
09-10-2018, 05:54 AM

They got caught in the midst of swapping players. Credit to Tyron Taylor for the quick snap.

polamalubeast
09-10-2018, 06:07 AM

It was bad, but it was the only time the steelers were confused in defense ....

They did not give a free big play / touchdown because of a lack of communication like that often happen last year ...

Mojouw
09-10-2018, 09:18 AM
I'm just glad they passed on Chubb, would've been a nightmare. Denzel Ward looks like a baller though. 2 ints and played AB well.

Yeah. Chubb and Garrett mighta just been too ridiculous for the Browns to handle.

Ward is another of the "anti-AB" corners that the AFC North has been drafting in recent years. He looked more than read to contribute.

AtlantaDan
09-10-2018, 09:25 AM
It was bad, but it was the only time the steelers were confused in defense ....

In the first half one of the LBs (Bostic?) was attempting to redirect someone lined up along the sideline into position and had his back turned to the line of scrimmage at the snap while that other defender was still out of position.

Fortunately Taylor blew the pass.

DesertSteel
09-10-2018, 10:23 AM
I liked several things yesterday. Funny how 6 turnovers can get in the way though.

Craic
09-10-2018, 10:53 AM
I liked several things yesterday. Funny how 6 turnovers can get in the way though.
That just about says it all. Several Steelers pick-ups looked great yesterday. I no longer have a concern about ILB when we have to move to the 3-4 because I think Bostic can take care of that without a problem. The switch at safeties and OLB really paid off yesterday as well. Our new returner made some nice contributions.

Honestly, about 3/4s of the way through the game, i was thinking about how the narrative was going to go on this board. Something along the lines of bad first half, but they put that behind them and came out the second half ready to play except for the first defensive series, which they fixed immediately after. And then, the blow up.

DesertSteel
09-10-2018, 11:02 AM
That just about says it all. Several Steelers pick-ups looked great yesterday. I no longer have a concern about ILB when we have to move to the 3-4 because I think Bostic can take care of that without a problem. The switch at safeties and OLB really paid off yesterday as well. Our new returner made some nice contributions.

Honestly, about 3/4s of the way through the game, i was thinking about how the narrative was going to go on this board. Something along the lines of bad first half, but they put that behind them and came out the second half ready to play except for the first defensive series, which they fixed immediately after. And then, the blow up.
I had to watch on GamePlan since I'm out of the area and it's not available on rewind until the last day game. Fortunately everyone knows not to give me the score or they die. When the game was 21-7 I was feeling good, but I looked at the time left on the video and there was an hour and 20 minutes, but there was only 7 minutes left in the game. I knew right then it was going to get ugly and go to OT. I was pretty disgusted even before I saw it unfold.

polamalubeast
09-10-2018, 11:25 AM
And why is Hunter playing over Washington?

polamalubeast
09-10-2018, 11:34 AM
For those who criticize the performance of our defense yesterday, the Browns (and the steelers) had 19 offensive drives yesterday !!!!

Usually,Teams only have 10 drives in a game, sometimes only 8 ..... given only 14 points (I do not count the TD that the browns were already at the line of 1) in the other 18 drives is great

I am not sold by our defense, but I do not understand why some people think that our defense was bad yesterday

Fire Goodell
09-10-2018, 12:13 PM
For those who criticize the performance of our defense yesterday, the Browns (and the steelers) had 19 offensive drives yesterday !!!!

Usually,Teams only have 10 drives in a game, sometimes only 8 ..... given only 14 points (I do not count the TD that the browns were already at the line of 1) in the other 18 drives is great

I am not sold by our defense, but I do not understand why some people think that our defense was bad yesterday

Lot of drives usually mean a lot of 3 and outs and turnovers :chuckle:

But the defense didn't play bad imo, they were the lone bright spot. TJ Watt I was thoroughly impressed with, and I thought he should have been MVP instead of Conner. 4 sacks and a blocked FG, how do you do better than that?

AtlantaDan
09-10-2018, 01:08 PM
Bad game for Ben and Boz.

Doubt Boz got much sleep last night - but while Boz has been money IMO Fitchiner should not have decided to pull up and just run once they got inside the 30. Any kick in that wind and weather was dicey, particularly over 40 yards

And why is Hunter playing over Washington?

Abdominal injury in last preseason game may have limited his practice reps

This from Ray Fittipaldo from the P-G

Washington had an abdominal injury from the Carolina game. I think that's the main reason he wasn't used a lot. The Steelers need him to get healthy and to become the third receiver. Justin Hunter isn't going to cut it....

He was healthy enough to play, but I don't think that abdominal injury helped him when it came to getting in the game plan for the opener.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/09/10/ray-fittipaldo-steelers-chat-9-10-18/stories/201809100088

tube517
09-10-2018, 01:13 PM
Abdominal injury in last preseason game may have limited his practice reps

This from Ray Fittipaldo from the P-G

Washington had an abdominal injury from the Carolina game. I think that's the main reason he wasn't used a lot. The Steelers need him to get healthy and to become the third receiver. Justin Hunter isn't going to cut it....

He was healthy enough to play, but I don't think that abdominal injury helped him when it came to getting in the game plan for the opener.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/09/10/ray-fittipaldo-steelers-chat-9-10-18/stories/201809100088

That explains that. I was wondering why he was only out there on special teams

86WARD
09-10-2018, 01:27 PM
I’ll add Switzer as an honorable mention. He did fairly well in the return game.

polamalubeast
09-10-2018, 03:03 PM

Fire Goodell
09-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Dupree would have had a great game if he stopped overpursuing Taylor. Not very smart to do vs a mobile QB, it's not like the guy is Peyton Manning with zero escapability.

At least 3 times he had Taylor in the headlights and just b-lined toward him rather than breaking down for the tackle when he was about to run, giving up big yardage runs. Maybe Taylor would throw it in this case, but an incompletion is better than a first down or TD run given up. Taylor isn't necessarily good throwing under pressure and looks to run whenever crap hits the fan. It's almost like they didn't game plan for that.

polamalubeast
09-10-2018, 04:54 PM

GoSlash27
09-10-2018, 05:16 PM

T.J. Watt was the *lowest* graded?? Go home, PFF. You're drunk.

polamalubeast
09-10-2018, 05:17 PM
T.J. Watt was the *lowest* graded?? Go home, PFF. You're drunk.

polamalubeast
09-10-2018, 05:25 PM

GoSlash27
09-10-2018, 05:31 PM
Yup. So like I said, they're drunk :D

polamalubeast
09-10-2018, 06:01 PM

polamalubeast
09-10-2018, 08:29 PM

polamalubeast
09-11-2018, 07:25 AM

86WARD
09-11-2018, 07:30 AM

Hopefully Ben is studying the tapes...

polamalubeast
09-11-2018, 07:32 AM
Hopefully Ben is studying the tapes...

Do not worry.

Antonio Brown probably already told Ben that he was open for the entire game!

polamalubeast
09-11-2018, 07:37 AM

polamalubeast
09-11-2018, 10:09 AM

DesertSteel
09-11-2018, 10:12 AM
I think if Mayfield was playing, the Steelers' record would be 0-1.

polamalubeast
09-11-2018, 10:23 AM

AtlantaDan
09-11-2018, 01:28 PM
Captain Heyward with the burn :chuckle:

polamalubeast
09-11-2018, 01:49 PM

Mojouw
09-11-2018, 02:48 PM

Look I really really like Alex's stuff. But let's take a look at this one.

His argument is that the Steelers kept a passing defense on the field when the Browns switched to a run formation. The Browns then passed out of the formation. So the Steelers are poorly coached?

1. MAYBE the Steelers saw something in film study and preparation that showed a tendency of the Browns to pass out of run formations in certain situations. I know, an almost unheard of proposition in the NFL.
2. Todd Haley. I mean passing out of a run look on third down? That is a Haley classic right there.
3. Assume Alex is right, and the Steelers were caught with their pants down. Had the nickel in there against the heavy package. The true coaching crime is lining up and calling the passing play! I believe the Browns huddled and everything -- plus they have the helmet radio. So between offensive geniuses Hue Jackson, Todd Haley, and Tyrod Taylor NO ONE thinks to audible to the run? Does that make anyone else think the play was ALWAYS going to be a pass out of run look and MAYBE the Steelers knew something?
5. Yet another possibility. They did this on purpose. Gets that nickel look they claim to want to run a ton on tape NOT being scared of the 3rd down run. In other words, we think we have a plan for stopping runs against this defensive alignment. We want to play it a lot and we will not pull it off the field just because you put your run package on the field. They did this several times in the preseason.

Again, I think people want to find fault so they go looking for it. Later in the same article, the other massive coaching crime was attempting to sub d-lineman during the two minute drill on the far side of the field. That led to 12 men on the field. That was dumb and I suspect that Karl Dunbar has learned his lesson and won't be doing that again. Not the first or last time an NFL team got caught trying to swap out gassed defenders. Again, hardly an unforgivable sin.

I want to be clear, I respect Alex and his work. I also know that he knows more about football than I do. I just think that there are two entirely plausible explanations - one good and one bad. No way of knowing for sure which is which, so why do Steelers backers ALWAYS pick the bad one?

polamalubeast
09-11-2018, 07:16 PM

DesertSteel
09-11-2018, 08:37 PM
I want to be clear, I respect Alex and his work. I also know that he knows more about football than I do.
Does Alex have any background at all in football?

polamalubeast
09-12-2018, 06:21 AM

Mojouw
09-12-2018, 08:41 AM

Is there any context for this? Follow up information? Or examples from 2018 season to illustrate his point? Or is it just 140 characters of “hot take”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

polamalubeast
09-12-2018, 08:45 AM
Is there any context for this? Follow up information? Or examples from 2018 season to illustrate his point? Or is it just 140 characters of “hot take”?

The lack of communication is the big reason why Butler must be on the hot seat.

I mean, things like that should never happen since that's where free big play comes in for the opponents like it happens at least once a game in the second half of last season ...

Mojouw
09-12-2018, 11:35 AM
The lack of communication is the big reason why Butler must be on the hot seat.

I mean, things like that should never happen since that's where free big play comes in for the opponents like it happens at least once a game in the second half of last season ...

So we have one play in the 2018 season where it looks sloppy that has been pointed out so far. From what I can tell everyone else is lined up and ready to go and we have the two new guys that have never played together "communicating". Sorry, I'm not taking that as evidence of some pervasive and ongoing problem. In previous seasons, maybe maybe not. But there are two new position coaches and a revamped scheme for 2018 with some new players. So clean slate for me.

I think this is just an easy narrative and a lazy attempt to have a "hot take" to generate views in a crowded media landscape for NFL coverage.

polamalubeast
09-12-2018, 11:47 AM
I don't think this is just one play

He watched the tape of this game ...

I had the same concern in preseason last year and unfortunately it turned out true in the second half of the season...I think it's going to be less bad this year, but there is still work need to be done

Mojouw
09-12-2018, 12:50 PM
I don't think this is just one play

He watched the tape of this game ...

I had the same concern in preseason last year and unfortunately it turned out true in the second half of the season...I think it's going to be less bad this year, but there is still work need to be done

I just read up on this guy and he is simply a self-made draft analyst and football Twitterer. What tape did he watch? Not sure the ALL 22 is out through the usual distribution outlets yet. Do we know that this cat pays for the subscription to get the All-22 and spends time breaking it down?

I mean since there are SOOOOOO many examples, maybe he could actually provide one.

I think I am just getting grumpy with Twitter being this definitive source of information. It is such a brief form of communication that there is no room for explanation or even supporting evidence. It is just flat definitive statements that are seemingly not attached to any actual information.

polamalubeast
09-12-2018, 01:12 PM
I hope you are right on it and at least we did not have blown coverage last sunday I think.

BlackAndGold
09-12-2018, 02:13 PM
I'm sure every team has 1-3 plays where they miscommunication's.

pczach
09-12-2018, 03:45 PM

If I remember correctly, on that particular play the Browns ran a screen to the offense's left. Bostic immediately turned around, read the screen, and was there to tackle the back if the pass was completed.

I don't know how widespread this problem is, but I didn't see as much of it in this first week than we saw for much of the last few years.

Mojouw
09-12-2018, 04:31 PM
If I remember correctly, on that particular play the Browns ran a screen to the offense's left. Bostic immediately turned around, read the screen, and was there to tackle the back if the pass was completed.

I don't know how widespread this problem is, but I didn't see as much of it in this first week than we saw for much of the last few years.

Exactly! So in reality and any detailed discussion of the play of the Steelers defense on Sunday appearances are demonstrated to be deceiving.

But on Twitter you can find a single frame image to "prove" your point and you can create an easy and popular narrative about the team and their performance.

Ledyard's rep gets increased that he is one of those guys who "eats tape" and "breaks it all down" and generates more followers and hopefully drives traffic to his draft site. All the while, he has the convenient rhetorical construct of being concerned with "process" rather than results. This is really great - because it allows him to never be wrong.

Twitter Follower: "Hey, on that play you pointed out the defense stopped them and Bostic read the screen properly."

Ledyard: "Well, yeah. But that is just because the Browns are bad at execution. The processfor the Steelers defense is troubling on that play. To see two players unclear of their assignments...." And your off to the races on whatever point you want to make regardless of anything that did or might have actually happened.

Twitter Follower: "Wow. You really break this stuff down into the fine details. You're so knowledgeable. Thanks for creating my opinion for me."

polamalubeast
09-13-2018, 11:14 AM