Dwinsgames
09-05-2018, 11:14 AM

86WARD
09-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Is that a service they are offering?

Dwinsgames
09-05-2018, 12:27 PM

ya know I think it makes NFL Network and ESPN games viewable without a cable subscription but am not 100% certain

Fire Goodell
09-05-2018, 12:37 PM
Going to streaming services is the way of the future, IMO. Part of the reason why TV audiences are going down, is because at least from my POV, less people have cable. Back before netflix / amazon prime / hbo streaming, everybody and their mom had cable. Now there's more than a handful of people I know that pretty much subscribe to a few streaming services, but don't have cable.

Heck I'm one of em. I got netflix, prime, and HBO. No real need for anything else, and TV shows I'm interested in, I can just purchase through Amazon & never have to watch any commercials. Or if I'm patient enough it'll just pop up on Netflix lol. The only reason for me to get cable would be for football, but where I live, I'll maybe get to see the Steelers on TV maybe 3-4 times a year, not worth the $100/mo+ here in Hawaii. I just go to the nearest sports bar and watch there with some nachos and coffee lol (games are 7am here, too early for beer).

86WARD
09-05-2018, 12:40 PM
ya know I think it makes NFL Network and ESPN games viewable without a cable subscription but am not 100% certain

I believe those games may be able to be seen using Amazon Prime? Something can be seen on Prime but I forget what it is. I’d like to see a streaming service for any game you want to choose.

Fire Goodell
09-05-2018, 12:44 PM
I believe those games may be able to be seen using Amazon Prime? Something can be seen on Prime but I forget what it is. I’d like to see a streaming service for any game you want to choose.

There's Sunday ticket, but it's pretty expensive. And if the game is played on any of your local station, it gets blacked out. Depending on how many prime time games we have / how often they show Steeler games on TV where you live, it might not be worth it. I didn't buy it last year since I calculated it, and with these scenarios factored in, it came to like $30 or 40ish per week. Cheaper just going to a bar and buying an $8 thing of nachos.

Oh and no playoff games for Sunday ticket (I guess cause all those games are televised)

tube517
09-05-2018, 12:46 PM
Baby steps but that's better than previous years.

CBS charges $5.99/month ($9.99/month for commercial free) for their streaming service so since we're an AFC team, that is still going to be a fee.

Dwinsgames
09-05-2018, 12:49 PM
Going to streaming services is the way of the future, IMO. Part of the reason why TV audiences are going down, is because at least from my POV, less people have cable. Back before netflix / amazon prime / hbo streaming, everybody and their mom had cable. Now there's more than a handful of people I know that pretty much subscribe to a few streaming services, but don't have cable.

Heck I'm one of em. I got netflix, prime, and HBO. No real need for anything else, and TV shows I'm interested in, I can just purchase through Amazon & never have to watch any commercials. Or if I'm patient enough it'll just pop up on Netflix lol. The only reason for me to get cable would be for football, but where I live, I'll maybe get to see the Steelers on TV maybe 3-4 times a year, not worth the $100/mo+ here in Hawaii. I just go to the nearest sports bar and watch there with some nachos and coffee lol (games are 7am here, too early for beer).

other than sports ... you can go to cbs.com and stream their programming a couple days after it airs live for FREE ( or pay 5.95 a month and get it live ) ... ABC has a similar setup ... sports is pretty much the only thing you are missing out on and it can be streams other places but often at a lessor quality

EzraTank
09-05-2018, 02:52 PM

When are they going to just let you stream your "favorite" team for like $100/year? I can use multiple devices and hook it right to my smart TV via HDMI.

The NFL would be smart to tell all these people Direct TV, Verizon, Yahoo, Amazon, etc that the NFL will now be the sole owner of the streaming service. Then the NFL should push out an APP to Smart TV's, Roku, Xbox ,etc so you can stream games via the APP.

Like I said above charge $100/year for your favorite teams games and let the local FOX/CBS/NBC/ESPN televise the rest.

Fire Goodell
09-05-2018, 02:55 PM
When are they going to just let you stream your "favorite" team for like $100/year? I can use multiple devices and hook it right to my smart TV via HDMI.

The NFL would be smart to tell all these people (Direct TV, Verizon, Yahoo, Amazon, etc) that the NFL will stream all the games like the Sunday ticket and push out an APP to Smart TV's, Roku, Xbox ,etc so you can. Like I said above charge $100/year for your favorite teams games and let the local FOX/CBS/NBC/ESPN televise the rest.

If something like that comes out, it's going to be much more than $100. I think Sunday ticket is around 220ish for streaming, and most people buy it to just follow their favorite team. At least I never used it much past that.

EzraTank
09-05-2018, 02:57 PM
If something like that comes out, it's going to be much more than $100. I think Sunday ticket is around 220ish for streaming, and most people buy it to just follow their favorite team. At least I never used it much past that.

It's $294/year for almost every non local game. The only games I still need a TV for are Monday night football on ESPN and Sunday night football on NBC. The NFL network streams Thursday night football via the NFL network. If they charge $294 for all the teams it would make a ton of sense for them to charge $100 for ONE team (16 games).

AtlantaDan
09-05-2018, 03:17 PM

The NFL would be smart to tell all these people Direct TV, Verizon, Yahoo, Amazon, etc that the NFL will now be the sole owner of the streaming service. Then the NFL should push out an APP to Smart TV's, Roku, Xbox ,etc so you can stream games via the APP.

Like I said above charge $100/year for your favorite teams games and let the local FOX/CBS/NBC/ESPN televise the rest.

DirecTV is paying $1.5 billion a year for Sunday Ticket exclusivity - that is more than CBS, Fox and NBC are paying - only ESPN pays more (and ESPN also is paying to run lots of NFL video on its other programming)

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/how-much-do-the-nfl-and-tv-partners-make-a-year-030117/

The NFL may want to go in another direction after the current DirecTV contract runs out after the 2022 season - but it will not want to decrease what it receives for the out of market games rights that fill in the gaps of the local broadcast & ESPN rights

And since DirecTV loses money on what it pays for SundayTicket compared to what it charges (SundayTicket is bait to make you pay for a regular programming contract to get SundayTicket) the price for those out of market game rights might be tough to increase

Fire Goodell
09-05-2018, 03:43 PM
It's $294/year for almost every non local game. The only games I still need a TV for are Monday night football on ESPN and Sunday night football on NBC. The NFL network streams Thursday night football via the NFL network. If they charge $294 for all the teams it would make a ton of sense for them to charge $100 for ONE team (16 games).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love that and buy it in a heartbeat. What I'm saying is that a good percentage of people who buy Sunday Ticket are doing it to follow one team, and are probably not watching every single game. DirecTV would lose a boatload of money if something like this was ever released.

Steeldude
09-05-2018, 03:45 PM

Exactly. Charge one price for no ads and another with ads.

But I would still look for free streaming sites. I won't pay a dime to the anti-America NFL

86WARD
09-05-2018, 03:57 PM

You should run for president!!! I’m in!!

Steelerchad
09-05-2018, 09:09 PM
if you have a college student, you can stream nfl sunday ticket for $100.
im in year 2 of that deal.
ill need a 3 year fix in 3 years until my next one is in after that.

DesertSteel
09-05-2018, 09:30 PM
I’d just be happy if GameRewind would air immediately after the game instead of waiting until all the games are over.

And by the way, that service is $99 a year.

fansince'76
09-06-2018, 05:56 AM
Congrats, Roger! You're only just a shade over a decade behind the NBA, NHL and MLB now!

But kudos on finally joining the 21st century at least...I guess.

Wonder what it's going to take for the owners to finally shitcan that moron...

Steeldude
09-07-2018, 04:34 AM
if you have a college student, you can stream nfl sunday ticket for $100.
im in year 2 of that deal.
ill need a 3 year fix in 3 years until my next one is in after that.

According to the NFL Ticket site it's $73 to $99 per month, not per year.

stillers4me
09-07-2018, 05:30 AM
By the time Russ got done with Directv a couple of weeks ago, we are paying one payment of $89 for Sunday Ticket this year. :lol:

It's going to look great on our new 75" 4k QLED. (yes, I caved). Yes, I know it's not broadcast yet in 4K, but that game last night look awesome. What do I want, what do I want............... :heh:

Steeldude
09-07-2018, 06:45 AM
other than sports ... you can go to cbs.com and stream their programming a couple days after it airs live for FREE ( or pay 5.95 a month and get it live ) ... ABC has a similar setup ... sports is pretty much the only thing you are missing out on and it can be streams other places but often at a lessor quality

Isn't CBS All Access is for local games only?

AtlantaDan
09-07-2018, 07:25 AM
By the time Russ got done with Directv a couple of weeks ago, we are paying one payment of $89 for Sunday Ticket this year. :lol:

It's going to look great on our new 75" 4k QLED. (yes, I caved). Yes, I know it's not broadcast yet in 4K, but that game last night look awesome. What do I want, what do I want............... :heh:

Nice!

I upgraded last year to a 65" LG OLED from a 55" DLP HDTV screen I bought in 2006 and immediately wondered if the 65" screen was big enough after I watched a friend's 75" screen :chuckle:

The 4K streamed video is great - hopefully the NFL and ESPN upgrade to 4K sooner rather than later

tube517
09-07-2018, 08:11 AM
Nice!

I upgraded last year to a 65" LG OLED from a 55" DLP HDTV screen I bought in 2006 and immediately wondered if the 65" screen was big enough after I watched a friend's 75" screen :chuckle:

The 4K streamed video is great - hopefully the NFL and ESPN upgrade to 4K sooner rather than later

I got the same feeling when I bought a 55" 4k UHDTV and saw a 75" screen at Best Buy. :chuckle:

Craic
09-07-2018, 08:36 AM
I’d just be happy if GameRewind would air immediately after the game instead of waiting until all the games are over.

And by the way, that service is $99 a year.
It looks as though they're headed that way.

Broadcast versions of Sunday morning and afternoon games (9:30am ET, 1pm ET & 4pm ET) are available by 8pm ET on Sunday.

Note that it's "by" 8 pm, so any time up until then. My guess is that's the 4 pm ET games that will be available late and the early games will be available earlier. If not, that's still not too bad. I seem to remember when we had to wait until after the Sunday Night game to watch.

Craic
09-07-2018, 08:41 AM
Nice!

That's funny. Our TV went out two years ago. We went to Costco and bought Samsung 65 inch 8000 and brought it home, but I wasn't happy with the picture (flashlighting). Thankfully, we had 90 days to return it, so we did, and got another one. I wasn't happy with that one either, so we got a Vizio P. That picture wasn't clear so we returned it again. By this time (around Christmas a year and a half ago) the Samsung 9000 had come down in price to what we originally paid for the 8000. So, we got that (the 9500, actually, only difference being it's curved. Meh. BUt that's all they had.

Turns out, that was the one. there's still some flashlighting now and then, but the picture is superb. Of course, I thought about going up to a 75 inch, but our living room is too small so we can't sit far enough back to accomodate it.

stillers4me
09-07-2018, 08:44 AM
We had the 65" 8F Qled delivered last weekend and I think it's plenty big enough but apparently my husband disagrees. The 75" version is coming next weekend. We will have to suffer through the Browns game with this little thing. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180907/1e896c97258f311619dcb686f1a53d75.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

stillers4me
09-07-2018, 08:49 AM
Fortunately, 75" is the limit on that wall.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

86WARD
09-07-2018, 09:30 AM
If they had an affordable option, I’d pay. For now, I is my hdmi cable and my computer.

Mojouw
09-07-2018, 09:54 AM
So the change to the streaming was nice. Weather meant my antenna couldn't bring in the channel anymore. Then I turned on the NBC sports app and didn't need a cable log-in to access a free over the air channel broadcast through a streaming device. Imagine that! Fell asleep on the couch to the second half in front of my 40 inch 10+ year old TV.

As you can tell, we are really fancy and high-tech in the MojoUW household!

EzraTank
09-08-2018, 02:30 PM
LOL, I just got Sunday Ticket for free.

Last week I upped my Direct TV package from the basic to the next level up so I could have ESPN to watch the US Open and also Monday Night Football this coming week. I always bump it down in the summer to the cheapest because we're so busy and hardly watch TV. Well back before AT&T bought them it was a simple go online, up your package and within the hour it would work. Well two days later still nothing and I had spent about 3-4 hours on the phone with Direct TV/AT&T support over 3 days. I was very patient the whole time, never got upset but as of this morning still nothing almost a week later after being promised over and over it would be fixed in the next 24 hours. I ended up missing most of the US Open because of this.

So I call back this morning and get yet another "tech" that looks at the issue ... finally they got it to work and the tech said, "Is there anything else I can do for you?"

Spit balling at the wall I say, "Yeah give me the Sunday Ticket for free after what I just went through."

"Hold on a minute," the tech says. "Let me transfer you to our customer care do see what they can do."

They transferred me and the guy that comes on listens to my whole story, reads through the case notes and says, "Sure I can do that."

BAM, I got Sunday Ticket for free!

stillers4me
09-08-2018, 02:33 PM
LOL, I just got Sunday Ticket for free.

Last week I upped my Direct TV package from the basic to the next level up so I could have ESPN to watch the US Open and also Monday Night Football this coming week. Well back before AT&T bought them it was a simple go online, up your package and within the hour it would work. Well two days later still nothing and I had spent about 3 hours on the phone with Direct TV/AT&T support. I was patient the whole time, next got upset but as of this morning still nothing almost a week later after being promised over and over it would be fixed in the next 24 hours.

So I call back this morning and get yet another "tech" that looks at the issue ... Finally they got it to work and the tech said, "Is there anything else I can do for you?"

Spit balling at the wall I say, "Yeah give me the Sunday Ticket for free after what I just went through."

"Hold on a minute," the tech says. "Let me transfer you to our customer care do see what they can do."

They transferred me and the guy that comes on listens to my whole story, reads through the case notes and says, "Sure I can do that."

BAM, I got Sunday Ticket for free! Good job! Have you been taking lessons from my hubby? :heh: