PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben Expects To Compete For Some Time: ‘I Feel Like The Window’s Open And The Breeze Is Blowing In’

polamalubeast
09-05-2018, 08:11 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is entering his 15th NFL season, now at the age of 36. He knows that he is already pushing the typical shelf-life of even great NFL quarterbacks, even the elite, though they seem to be playing longer and longer as the years go on.

To hear him talk on the eve of year number 15, though, you would hardly be able to imagine that just two offseasons ago he was seriously on the border of retirement. One could argue that much has changed between now and then aside from his mind. And frankly, I’m not complaining.

During his appearance on The Fan yesterday, his hosts were asking him about the closing championship window that figures to end when his career does. I thought his answer to that question was an interesting one, if not telling.

“You know what? It’s crazy to say this, but I feel, with me working out, the shape that I’m in, the linemen and everything, I don’t feel like the window is closing as much as I maybe would have thought last year”, he said.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/09/big-ben-expects-to-compete-for-some-time-i-feel-like-the-windows-open-and-the-breeze-is-blowing-in/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot%29

tube517
09-05-2018, 08:15 AM
Easy to say when AB and Bell carry you and you don't have to prepare as much as Peyton.... :coffee: :chuckle:

AtlantaDan
09-05-2018, 08:33 AM
“You know what? It’s crazy to say this, but I feel, with me working out, the shape that I’m in, the linemen and everything, I don’t feel like the window is closing as much as I maybe would have thought last year”, he said.

I wonder if Ben realizes that admitting he finally came to camp in shape supports the impression (stated by Emanuel Sanders among others) that Ben had so much natural talent he failed for most of his career to try to maximize it :noidea:

SteelersCanadian
09-05-2018, 08:37 AM
I wonder if Ben realizes that admitting he finally came to camp in shape supports the impression of some (including former teammates like Emanuel Sanders) that Ben had so much natural talent he failed for most of his career to maximize it :noidea:

This isn't going to be popular but it's the absolute truth. Roethlisberger has had the league's best offense for a few years now and has consistently underperformed. There will always be extenuating circumstances -- Haley and significant injuries -- but better quarterbacks have done more with far less than Ben has been blessed with.

polamalubeast
09-05-2018, 08:50 AM
This isn't going to be popular but it's the absolute truth. Roethlisberger has had the league's best offense for a few years now and has consistently underperformed. There will always be extenuating circumstances -- Haley and significant injuries -- but better quarterbacks have done more with far less than Ben has been blessed with.

We have been dominant at times, but never for an entire season for different reasons.

2014, our first 6 games,the steelers were atrocious, but in the last 10 games, when Bryant was in the lineup, our offense was red hot.

2015, when Ben was healthy, the steelers probably had the best offense in the NFL even without Le'Veon Bell.

2016, Cody Hamilton was our 2nd WR in the second half of the season ... It was not the best season of Roethlisberger too.

Last year, no doubt they underperformed in the first half of the season and Roethlisberger was a big reason why, but in the second half of the season it was very solid.