PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger on Landry Jones' termination: 'Kind of shocking'

polamalubeast
09-05-2018, 07:54 AM
When he resumes practicing Wednesday, Ben Roethlisberger isn’t sure whether he will see Le’Veon Bell in the locker room. What he knows is he won’t see Landry Jones, and that brings up mixed emotions for the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback.

Jones, who was entering his sixth season, had his contract terminated Saturday, leaving unproven players Joshua Dobbs and Mason Rudolph as quarterbacks.

On his 93.7-FM weekly radio segment, Roethlisberger said he spoke with Jones shortly after the Steelers parted ways with the veteran backup.

“It definitely was kind of shocking, but I guess I understand why they did it in terms of business-wise,” Roethlisberger said. “The other guys are cheaper and they can keep them under contract for three more years.”

Jones was scheduled to be a free agent in March 2019. Dobbs, who becomes the backup, is entering his second season. Rudolph is a rookie.

Roethlisberger valued Jones’ input as the backup quarterback.

“He was so valuable to me when I came off the field. … I trusted what he told me,” he said.

Roethlisberger is hopeful that Dobbs can capably fill Jones’ roll.

“I told him, ‘You need to prove to everybody that you deserve to be here,’” Roethlisberger said. “I’m not talking about on the field. He’s proven that. … But what he needs to do is prove he’s as valuable as Landry was off the field – in terms of film study, when I have a question (and him) having a good answer for me.

“When I come off the field after the play, ‘Hey, what did you see here?’ and he can give me an answer. That’s where he really needs to step up. He’s all for it. He said, ‘Ben, I’ll give you everything I can,’ and I trust that he will.”

read more

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/14045071-74/steelers-ben-roethlisberger-on-landry-jones-termination-kind-of-shocking

86WARD
09-05-2018, 08:05 AM
This is exactly why Landry was good at keeping around same with Charlie Batch...they had a good football head but were what they were on the field. The real benefit was on the sidelines...

AtlantaDan
09-05-2018, 08:05 AM
“I told him, ‘You need to prove to everybody that you deserve to be here,’” Roethlisberger said. “I’m not talking about on the field. He’s proven that. … But what he needs to do is prove he’s as valuable as Landry was off the field – in terms of film study, when I have a question (and him) having a good answer for me.

“When I come off the field after the play, ‘Hey, what did you see here?’ and he can give me an answer. That’s where he really needs to step up.

A more accurate statement of Ben's sentiments - "You need to prove to me you deserve to be here"

Ben may have some adjustments to make since he is not yet in his comfort zone relying on what Dobbs sees and Fitchiner may be less available to consult with Ben during the game as OC than he was as the QB coach (a position the Steelers have not filled even though a rookie and second year QB also might benefit from having one)

Edman
09-05-2018, 03:23 PM
Then you read between the lines:

"Roethlisberger is hopeful that Dobbs can capably fill Jones’ roll."

Ben better hope he doesn't get hurt and Dobbs or Rudolph ends up taking over instead. Things have a very funny way of playing themselves out through NFL history. Ask Joe Montana and Tony Romo. Landry under no circumstances was a threat to Ben. Dobbs and Rudolph at this point are unknowns.

Focus on winning #7, Ben.

Fire Goodell
09-05-2018, 03:48 PM
“When I come off the field after the play, ‘Hey, what did you see here?’ and he can give me an answer. That’s where he really needs to step up.

While I'm sure Dobbs can do this, isn't that the OC's job?

Hawkman
09-05-2018, 03:59 PM

While I'm sure Dobbs can do this, isn't that the OC's job?

I’m pretty sure many backup QBs around the league do this. That’s why they have a clip board. OC’s job is to call the offense. Backup QB is like an instant film room. Plus he’s usually studying, knowing he might have to go in at any time.