PDA

View Full Version : Report: Steelers create over $5M in salary cap space by restructuring contract of Cam Heyward

HollywoodSteel
09-04-2018, 06:50 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/platform/amp/2018/9/4/17819722/report-steelers-create-over-5m-in-salary-cap-space-by-restructuring-contract-of-cam-heyward-nfl-news

- - - Updated - - -

They must be doing this for a reason.

Anyone have a guess?

Who are we going after?

HollywoodSteel
09-04-2018, 07:02 PM
On the other thread people were talking about trading Bell for Earl Thomas. Obviously we wouldn’t need cap space for that trade since we’d be freeing up 14.5 mil already.

This looks like it could be a trade where we give up draft picks.

Earl Thomas is on the trading block...

Who bets Thomas?

- - - Updated - - -

That would be funny if we trade for Thomas and cut Behre again

Well, not funny to him...

But with Morgan Burnett out 6 weeks...

Damn. Earl Thomas makes sense.

Just wow if so.

2018 champs or bust!

I shouldn’t get my hopes up though...

- - - Updated - - -

There is no inside LB this could be for, could it?

No way are they doing this for Bowman.

Can anyone think of a linebacker on the trading block?

BlackAndGold
09-04-2018, 07:05 PM
Burnett is fine it seems. Him being out 6 weeks was all speculation due to them have a lot of safeties. He would have been placed on IR if he wasn't.

Thomas would be a shocking trade. They like Davis, MB, and rookie Edmunds.

It may be a Ben extension, or someone like John Simon to add OLB depth.

Dwinsgames
09-04-2018, 07:09 PM
already posted http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/29155-steelers-making-cap-space-what-for-is-the-only-question

HollywoodSteel
09-04-2018, 07:10 PM
Put me officially on the Earl Thomas speculation train!

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article217775780.html

BlackAndGold
09-04-2018, 07:13 PM
Put me officially on the Earl Thomas speculation train!

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article217775780.html

What are you willing to pay for a 29 year old safety who is on the last year of his remaining contract?

HollywoodSteel
09-04-2018, 07:14 PM
already posted http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/29155-steelers-making-cap-space-what-for-is-the-only-question

Sorry, I didn’t see the headline of the post linked to this specific article. I thought it might have been referencing something else since I know the Steelers did some other restructuring before this.

Mods feel free to combine or delete or do nothing. Whatever mods do is fine by me :)

HollywoodSteel
09-04-2018, 07:19 PM
What are you willing to pay for a 29 year old safety who is on the last year of his remaining contract?

I’m sure if the trade for Thomas it is with a long term deal that Thomas will accept. Otherwise he’d just be holding out in a different uniform.

I’m not sure what Thomas was asking for, but clearly the Steelers are willing to pay what he wants... if this is in fact for Thomas.

Which is purely speculation on my part.

But Thomas is about to start missing game checks so maybe he’s willing to take slightly less than he was demanding from Seattle.

He could get a fresh start on a contender and save face by not caving to Seattle.

Mojouw
09-04-2018, 07:22 PM
Thomas doesn’t make a good use of resources if the team is truly sold on Davis and Edmunds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HollywoodSteel
09-04-2018, 07:24 PM
I hate to ask this question, but is Burnett’s salary guaranteed if we cut him before the first game?

If so, this makes sense. It would be as the safety they picked up in the offseason was Thomas instead of Burnett.

I’m sure the Steelers will be getting a better price for Thomas now that he is desperate and about to lose game checks than he would have been if the Steelers had try to trade for him in February

Hawkman
09-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Please merge this with the thread right next to it. No need to have two threads saying the same thing.

HollywoodSteel
09-04-2018, 07:26 PM
Thomas doesn’t make a good use of resources if the team is truly sold on Davis and Edmunds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not about Edmunds or Davis. It’s about Burbnett who is injured. If the Steelers can cut Burnett or trade him to Seahawks plus a draft pick it makes perfect sense.

They put Davis and Thomas back there as they groom Edmunds.

Dwinsgames
09-04-2018, 07:27 PM
personally ....

I am not trading away future draft picks and then dishing out a big contract on top of it for a 29 year old S even if it is Earl Thomas .... to little to gain long terms and to expensive picks + contract

Mojouw
09-04-2018, 08:43 PM
Bell is a malcontent that divides the team and the locker room because of contract issues. But people want to fall all over to send draft picks and sign a malcontent who holds out over his contract?

Again, how can both of those be true at the same time? I mean if you think Bell is a jackass he didn’t go to the other teams locker room after a game in the middle of the season and tell them to trade for him.

pczach
09-05-2018, 05:56 AM
It's hard to believe that they would be looking to trade away assets to address the S position with a near-30-year-old after they already addressed it with a free agent signing and multiple draft picks this offseason.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but I don't think it's likely they trade for Thomas.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-05-2018, 08:27 AM
It's hard to believe that they would be looking to trade away assets to address the S position with a near-30-year-old after they already addressed it with a free agent signing and multiple draft picks this offseason.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but I don't think it's likely they trade for Thomas.

Very true. I bet there is approx. 0.05% chance that there has even been contact between the Steelers and Seahawks/Thomas. Like many have said, you cant trade a player that isn't signed and even when Bell does sign his tag, the plan is likely to play him this season and watch him go in free agency next year.

I think they are doing their diligence with some guys that have been cut to maybe fill the OLB or ILB spot.

86WARD
09-05-2018, 08:53 AM
It’s not about Edmunds or Davis. It’s about Burbnett who is injured. If the Steelers can cut Burnett or trade him to Seahawks plus a draft pick it makes perfect sense.

They put Davis and Thomas back there as they groom Edmunds.

People keep saying Burnett is so injured...there’s been no hard evidence of how serious this “injury” is...

Hawkman
09-05-2018, 09:12 AM
People keep saying Burnett is so injured...there’s been no hard evidence of how serious this “injury” is...

I’ve been looking everywhere to find out what’s going on with him. Nothing. Leads me to believe there isn’t a whole lot wrong.

Dwinsgames
09-05-2018, 09:24 AM

he returned to practice the other day , after missing several so assume he is over whatever it was

86WARD
09-05-2018, 01:05 PM
he returned to practice the other day , after missing several so assume he is over whatever it was

That’s what I thought I saw as well.