PDA

View Full Version : Terry Bradshaw on Tomlin

polamalubeast
09-04-2018, 03:10 PM

I agree that if I had a choice between Haley and Butler, I would have kept Haley without hesitation...At least Haley's scheme is very good, it's his playcalling and ego that is the problem sometimes.

Butler, this defense has more talent than our performance in our big game in the last few years

Of course, no need to talk about our last playoffs game, but the game against the ravens at home that the steelers had won 39-38 was not acceptable ..... and the many blown coverage and the lack of communication that this defense had since he is our DC

And yes Tomlin deserve some heat ..... Tomlin wins a lot of game and he won a super bowl tot in his career, but he is also a defensive coach....Dan Bylsma won a lot of game in the regular season, he won a stanley cup early in his career, but after he was awful in the playoffs, despite having 2 of the 5 best NHL players in the world...The Pens have won back-to-back stanley cup since his dismissal with Mike Sullivan.

I'm not saying that Tomlin is bad like Bylsma, but the record in the regular season do not always say if our coach is great or not ..... I still think we can win a super bowl with Tomlin as a coach, but he needs a better DC

AtlantaDan
09-04-2018, 03:25 PM
For reasons I have posted previously I am over Bradshaw’s trolling

Having someone who retired 35 years ago still on the Fox pregame is the equivalent of having players from the 1940s still broadcasting when Bradshaw played

TB quit being informative and passed his sell by date a long time ago - just an old man hoping to get attention

tube517
09-04-2018, 03:29 PM
For reasons I have posted previously I am over Bradshaw’s trolling

Having someone who retired 35 years ago still on the Fox pregame is the equivalent of having players from the 1940s still broadcasting when Bradshaw played

TB quit being informative and passed his sell by date a long time ago - just an old man hoping to get attention

I wonder if Sammy Baugh or Sid Luckman would have trolled Chuck Noll?

Now, I feel old, AtlantaDan! :old: :chuckle:

fansince'76
09-04-2018, 03:40 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't defense also Belichick's specialty? How many times has the guy been blown by the sports media over the years for beating the K-Gun offense by a point in the SB after the Giants' offense held the ball for 40+ minutes in that game?

Brady - 500+ yards, loses SB. Nuff said.

polamalubeast
09-04-2018, 03:45 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't defense also Belichick's specialty? How many times has the guy been blown by the sports media over the years for beating the K-Gun offense by a point in the SB after the Giants' offense held the ball for 40+ minutes in that game?

Brady 500+ yards, loses SB. Nuff said.

Last year was one of the few times the defense of the pats has been atrocious since 2000..The other time it was in 2011 and 2002.

I mean, in about 35 playoffs games with the pats, their defense gave 30 points or more just 4 times and it was the first time in the last super bowl that the pats were giving 40 points in a playoff game.It happens 5 times in 15 playoffs game for Tomlin.

I mean, BB is not perfect, but I prefer their defense than the steelers defense in a big game, even though our defense has more talent.

BlackAndGold
09-04-2018, 03:51 PM
I won't agree nor disagree with TB comments but this is a yearly thing with him. He doesn't like Tomlin, he also didn't like Noll.

SteelersCanadian
09-04-2018, 05:19 PM
He's not wrong about Butler, but he isn't right about Tomlin either. Both coordinators needed to go. The ideology behind firing Haley is remarkably easy to understand: there may not be a better offensive mind in football to design a system from the bottom up than Todd Haley. That said, his situational play-calling and in-game adjustments have always been and will always be mediocre. He's an excellent offensive architect but fails when asked to execute that design into a coherent gameplan. I don't understand why it's difficult for Bradshaw to understand this.

That said, Butler doesn't exactly inspire a ton of confidence either.

polamalubeast
09-04-2018, 05:21 PM
He's not wrong about Butler, but he isn't right about Tomlin either. Both coordinators needed to go. The ideology behind firing Haley is remarkably easy to understand: there may not be a better offensive mind in football to design a system from the bottom up than Todd Haley. That said, his situational play-calling and in-game adjustments have always been and will always be mediocre. He's an excellent offensive architect but fails when asked to execute that design into a coherent gameplan. I don't understand why it's difficult for Bradshaw to understand this.

That said, Butler doesn't exactly inspire a ton of confidence either.

I think the same thing that you for Todd Haley.

SteelersCanadian
09-04-2018, 05:28 PM
I think the same thing that you for Todd Haley.

It honestly makes him an enigma. This kind of "flaw" (I'm having a hell'uva time trying to define what this is. a trait, perhaps?) usually makes for a decent head coach, but Haley struggled when he was given the reigns to an organization. It's almost as if he'd excel if he was able to design an offense but let someone else execute it on a week-to-week basis. This, for whatever reason, isn't the case. Teams could do a lot worse than Haley but good organizations with title aspirations likely couldn't win with one hand tied behind their back as Roethlisberger appeared to have. Think Rodgers with McCarthy's system.

polamalubeast
09-04-2018, 05:41 PM
It honestly makes him an enigma. This kind of "flaw" (I'm having a hell'uva time trying to define what this is. a trait, perhaps?) usually makes for a decent head coach, but Haley struggled when he was given the reigns to an organization. It's almost as if he'd excel if he was able to design an offense but let someone else execute it on a week-to-week basis. This, for whatever reason, isn't the case. Teams could do a lot worse than Haley but good organizations with title aspirations likely couldn't win with one hand tied behind their back as Roethlisberger appeared to have. Think Rodgers with McCarthy's system.

One of his big problems as HC was his personality.

But he is maybe one of the reasons why Kurt Warner is in the HOF.Without his last 3 years in Arizona (and two in that was with Haley), Warner would not have been in the HOF.

Of course, Haley helped Roethlisberger to have a good longevity, since otherwise, maybe at this moment, Roethlisberger would be unable to walk because of the pace that Roethlisberger was being hit under Arians!!!!

But the other problem I had with Haley was his ego.And the steelers were at their best in offense when Roethlisberger was in control.

HollywoodSteel
09-04-2018, 05:56 PM
Haley gets a lot of credit about Ben not being hit, that should go to Muchak

Haley’s system helped with the short passes and all, but it was successful because of the emergence of AB

The only thing we can EXCLUSIVELY blame/credit Haley for is his situational play calling

Which sucked golf balls through garden hoses

And we can blame him for not realizing that Ben is more important to this team than he is. Ben might have retired if Haley stayed.

I’ll take one Big Ben please, hold the Haley.

And the mustard. But I just don’t care for mustard. ;)

HollywoodSteel
09-04-2018, 06:12 PM
The jury is still out on our defensive co.

I think he’s got the right idea about how to best utilize the talent he has. Emphasizing the safeties and what not. I like flipping Dupree and Watt. He might end up looking like a genius.

I hope he can improve the communication. That is KEY.

But I really want to see what he does with all these pieces he has to play with now. I wouldn’t want to throw a new guy in this year. He has a plan and this is really the year he needs to implement it. Losing Shazier requires a bold adjustment that he’s making, and that I like in theory.

I’d hate to throw a whole new coordinator in with a whole new system right now with this young of a defense.

- - - Updated - - -

I also think we made the right move by not bringing in an offensive coordinator from OUTSIDE the organization. We can still use the system Haley built for us. Now we just have a happier QB, and hopefully more NO HUDDLE and more PLAY ACTION.

And less shotgun formation on 4th and inches.

SteelersCanadian
09-04-2018, 06:17 PM
One of his big problems as HC was his personality.

But he is maybe one of the reasons why Kurt Warner is in the HOF.Without his last 3 years in Arizona (and two in that was with Haley), Warner would not have been in the HOF.

Of course, Haley helped Roethlisberger to have a good longevity, since otherwise, maybe at this moment, Roethlisberger would be unable to walk because of the pace that Roethlisberger was being hit under Arians!!!!

But the other problem I had with Haley was his ego.And the steelers were at their best in offense when Roethlisberger was in control.

Agreed. What he did for Roethlisberger's career in terms of longevity is irreplaceable. He just ... overstayed his welcome.

Craic
09-04-2018, 06:24 PM
What is it with Steelers franchise QBs not being able to keep quiet when a microphone is stuck in their face? (or interview).

43Hitman
09-04-2018, 06:29 PM
If Butler doesn't cut it as a defensive coordinator, I think our next one is already on staff. Coach Bradley

polamalubeast
09-04-2018, 06:32 PM
If Butler doesn't cut it as a defensive coordinator, I think our next one is already on staff. Coach Bradley

I would prefer a DC in a another team or who is unemployed with new ideas.

AtlantaDan
09-04-2018, 06:36 PM
What is it with Steelers franchise QBs not being able to keep quiet when a microphone is stuck in their face? (or interview).

At least with Ben he merits an attempt at an interview since he has knowledge of how the team operates

The Steelers are not even in the conference for which Fox has the rights and Bradshaw is clueless about what is going on with the team. Latest example is "he fires the offensive coordinator, and keeps the defensive coordinator,” Bradshaw said. “Now I don’t know the reason behind that, I’ve asked a few people and they’re as puzzled as I am." Spoiler alert Terry - as was reported extensively, Haley was fired because Ben, among others, could no longer stand working with him.

SteelersCanadian
09-04-2018, 06:42 PM

Bradley's defenses at UCLA were inconsistent. The theme for three seasons were missed tackles and blown assignments.

Where have we heard that before?

polamalubeast
09-04-2018, 06:48 PM
For Bradshaw, if he would been in today's NFL and would have played the same way he played in his first 4-5 years in the NFL,no way, a team would have been patient with him

He's lucky to have played in the 1970s otherwise he would have been an all-time draft bust.

I give credit to Bradshaw for his success after, but I consider Roethlisberger as the best QB steelers of all-time.

pczach
09-04-2018, 07:08 PM
Bradley's defenses at UCLA were inconsistent. The theme for three seasons were missed tackles and blown assignments.

Where have we heard that before?

Before he went to UCLA, he was a great defensive coordinator at Penn State.

This from Wikipedia:

Bradley has been recognized for his defense’s outstanding performances. He was named the Associated Press Defensive Coordinator of the Year in 2005[3] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Bradley_(American_football)#cite_note-3) and was named Rivals.Com Defensive Coordinator of the Year in 2008.[4] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Bradley_(American_football)#cite_note-4) Additionally Rivals.com had Bradley ranked as the 2nd best defensive coordinator in the nation before he was named interim head coach in 2011.

From 2004 to 2011 Penn State’s defense ranked 3rd in the nation in scoring defense (16.4 ppg) and was 5th in total defense (298.7 ypg). In 2009, the Nittany Lions ranked in the top 15 nationally in the six primary defensive categories. Additionally, from 2004 to 2009 Penn State finished in the top 15 in total and scoring defense. From 2004 through most of the 2011 season, Penn State held 53 of its 88 opponents to 17 points or fewer. 10 of those 53 came in Penn State’s illustrious 2009 campaign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Bradley_(American_football)

The guy can coach. I'm not going to punish him for being a part of the nightmare UCLA turned into. Mora destroyed that program.

Shoes
09-04-2018, 07:16 PM
Bradshaw speaking from the grave again.

SteelersCanadian
09-04-2018, 07:32 PM
Before he went to UCLA, he was a great defensive coordinator at Penn State.

This from Wikipedia:

Bradley has been recognized for his defense’s outstanding performances. He was named the Associated Press Defensive Coordinator of the Year in 2005[3] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Bradley_(American_football)#cite_note-3) and was named Rivals.Com Defensive Coordinator of the Year in 2008.[4] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Bradley_(American_football)#cite_note-4) Additionally Rivals.com had Bradley ranked as the 2nd best defensive coordinator in the nation before he was named interim head coach in 2011.

From 2004 to 2011 Penn State’s defense ranked 3rd in the nation in scoring defense (16.4 ppg) and was 5th in total defense (298.7 ypg). In 2009, the Nittany Lions ranked in the top 15 nationally in the six primary defensive categories. Additionally, from 2004 to 2009 Penn State finished in the top 15 in total and scoring defense. From 2004 through most of the 2011 season, Penn State held 53 of its 88 opponents to 17 points or fewer. 10 of those 53 came in Penn State’s illustrious 2009 campaign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Bradley_(American_football)

The guy can coach. I'm not going to punish him for being a part of the nightmare UCLA turned into. Mora destroyed that program.

That's completely fair. And, to be fair, his defenses did steadily improve through the years. They were quite stingy in 2016 but I'd still be concerned. I'd agree that Mora was and remains an absolute nightmare.

pczach
09-05-2018, 05:47 AM
That's completely fair. And, to be fair, his defenses did steadily improve through the years. They were quite stingy in 2016 but I'd still be concerned. I'd agree that Mora was and remains an absolute nightmare.

Were you previously known as SteelersCanada?

SC....is that you?

SteelersCanadian
09-05-2018, 08:30 AM
Were you previously known as SteelersCanada?

SC....is that you?

One and the same. It's good to see you again Zach.

(I can't remember my god damn password for SteelersCanada on here. haha.)

AtlantaDan
09-05-2018, 08:53 AM

Welcome back :drink:

SteelersCanadian
09-05-2018, 09:57 AM
Welcome back :drink:

Thanks Dan. It's nice seeing all of the friendly faces again.

pczach
09-05-2018, 12:30 PM

Welcome back brother!

teegre
09-06-2018, 01:11 AM

Todd Haley is to coaching as Landry Jones is to quarterbacking.

That have the smarts/skills to “know” what to do, but when it’s game-time, they fall apart.

Cyphon25
09-06-2018, 04:43 AM
"He is winning football games but at the same time Super Bowls are disappearing".

We can legitimately have this conversation because Tomlin is the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers where the expectation is Super Bowl or bust. It makes it interesting because anywhere else his results would be fantastic but with us they often times feel underwhelming. Last season being the kind of perfect example, at least for me. 13-3 and our defense had 56 sacks and the season felt a lot more like 9-7 or 10-6 with 32 sacks. There was never really that buzz like you would feel with the team in 06, 07, 08 etc....

I don't say this to say it is Tomlins fault but to illustrate what he is up against with his legacy. Imagine if you offered a Bucs fan 13-3 with 56 sacks right now. They would be all over it. Offer it to us and we would be like "will it look like the 2017 team because we don't want it". That is what our coaches face when they sign up for the job so that is why we can be "mad" at Tomlin and disappointed in a team that was 13-3.

I have mostly always been torn on my thoughts on Tomlin. There are decisions he makes that just baffle me sometimes and make me go "is this guy qualified for the job" and then he turns around and answers a tough question by the media with the best answer I could imagine a human being having. He has also kept the ship steady through a lot of nonsense like Bell and Bryant stuff over the years but you also wonder if he keeps too loose a grip on things at times. Where I stand right now is that Tomlin is a good coach and I like him as our coach but I am not ready to call him great. There are 2 phases/steps left for Tomlin in my opinion:

1. He has to win a Super Bowl (or at least get to one) with the roster he has created. I know some people disagree with the idea that he won with someone elses but it is just the facts of the situation. It doesn't take away his accomplishment but unless you completely blow up a roster every coach that comes into a new job is getting something someone else built, for better or worse. Tomlin tightened the screws and righted the ship and got the team back to the Super Bowl but the parts were already there. The ship was already built, we just needed a new captain at the helm. Now he is responsible for building the ship and captaining it.

2. We have to see him handle life after Ben. If he accomplishes the above task with Ben he will be solidly locked in as a great coach and probable HOF coach. If he found his guys in Rudolph/Dobbs and after Ben gets us back to the SB we can start talking about him in the same sentence as Noll and the like.

I believe Tomlin is the right guy for the job and wouldn't trade him for another but I do think there is more to do to cement his legacy for sure.