PDA

View Full Version : steelers making cap space .....what for is the only question

Dwinsgames
09-04-2018, 02:24 PM
they can save 1.7 mill over the first two weeks if they keep bell deactivated to go with the 5 mill they have already and now this ...

who are they making room for ? or whom are they about to extend ?

tube517
09-04-2018, 02:27 PM
ANd don't they have $4 million on top of that (MacDonald's restructure and Cutting Landry)??

AtlantaDan
09-04-2018, 02:34 PM
they can save 1.7 mill over the first two weeks if they keep bell deactivated to go with the 5 mill they have already and now this ...

who are they making room for ? or whom are they about to extend ?

Bell :sofunny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA

Dwinsgames
09-04-2018, 02:35 PM
ANd don't they have $4 million on top of that (MacDonald's restructure and Cutting Landry)??

lots of cash for this time of year for Steelers , and making moves to create it for a reason ... question is what/whom is the reason

Mojouw
09-04-2018, 02:37 PM
From the #'s I can find they have a bit over $5 million in space. They like to have an in-season slush fund of around 3-3.5 million most years. So they are freeing up about 2 million bucks. While not exactly chump change, it may not be enough to get real splashy...

...Full disclaimer I do not know if the #'s I found were up to date. Only point is, take about 3 million off of any "free cap $" figures you see.

tube517
09-04-2018, 02:42 PM

http://charmcitywire.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/tomlin.jpg

Dwinsgames
09-04-2018, 02:52 PM
From the #'s I can find they have a bit over $5 million in space. They like to have an in-season slush fund of around 3-3.5 million most years. So they are freeing up about 2 million bucks. While not exactly chump change, it may not be enough to get real splashy...

...Full disclaimer I do not know if the #'s I found were up to date. Only point is, take about 3 million off of any "free cap $" figures you see.

those numbers are not updated yet as the restructure just took place and freed more than the amount you are currently finding ...

they should have between 10 and 12 mill free right now and potentially more if they do not have Bell active come week 1

- - - Updated - - -

I no sooner say what I said above , click refresh on twitter and BOOm this is there ....

At the last count, the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/pittsburgh-steelers) had over $6.5 million in salary cap space available, but it appears that number will now be closer to $12 million as of Tuesday, if a report from Field Yates of ESPN is to be believed.

Mojouw
09-04-2018, 02:53 PM
those numbers are not updated yet as the restructure just took place and freed more than the amount you are currently finding ...

they should have between 10 and 12 mill free right now and potentially more if they do not have Bell active come week 1

Well that is certainly an actually useful amount of cap space.

Hmmmm...John Simon's last contract was worth $6 million at signing...

Dwinsgames
09-04-2018, 02:55 PM
Well that is certainly an actually useful amount of cap space.

Hmmmm...John Simon's last contract was worth $6 million at signing...

it might get interesting real soon

Mojouw
09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
it might get interesting real soon

Yeah. I don't know if I would unpack all the way if I was Berhe, Dangerfield, Fort, or Ridley.

This has all the rumblings of a signing and Bell being active for Week 1. So that's two roster spots that will need cleared by Saturday.

Dwinsgames
09-04-2018, 03:02 PM
Yeah. I don't know if I would unpack all the way if I was Berhe, Dangerfield, Fort, or Ridley.

This has all the rumblings of a signing and Bell being active for Week 1. So that's two roster spots that will need cleared by Saturday.

true but I wouldn't bet on Bell being active week 1 .... the longer he stays away the less the chances are he is suited up IMO they filed for the exemption for a reason

Fire Goodell
09-04-2018, 03:13 PM
They'll rescind Bell's tag and use the extra money to make a trade for Chandler Jones or Luke Kuechly

Hey one can dream :chuckle:

Mojouw
09-04-2018, 03:20 PM
true but I wouldn't bet on Bell being active week 1 .... the longer he stays away the less the chances are he is suited up IMO they filed for the exemption for a reason

Heard somewhere this morning that despite all the internet sound and fury, Bell is on the same overall schedule as last year with some different specifics.

Last year he turned up on Friday. Signed on Monday and practiced on Wednesday with Tuesday as an off-day. Then the team removed him from the exemption (same one they applied for this year) on Saturday and he played on Sunday.

So if he practices on Wednesday of this week, its pretty much the same thing. Or at least projects to be.

steelreserve
09-04-2018, 03:27 PM

Oh, come on, now you're dreaming. Clearly, two days is enough to get yourself ready for an NFL game, and catch up on everything the other 52 guys have been practicing for months. I mean, that was obvious last year, so the only reason you could possibly doubt him is if you're a hater and a borderline racist who thinks the players should all just work for free.

BlackAndGold
09-04-2018, 03:52 PM
Has to be Simon Imo.

Unless there is a trade brewing. (No, it won't be Bell)

Dwinsgames
09-04-2018, 04:13 PM
Oh, come on, now you're dreaming. Clearly, two days is enough to get yourself ready for an NFL game, and catch up on everything the other 52 guys have been practicing for months. I mean, that was obvious last year, so the only reason you could possibly doubt him is if you're a hater and a borderline racist who thinks the players should all just work for free.

lmao

- - - Updated - - -

Has to be Simon Imo.

Unless there is a trade brewing. (No, it won't be Bell)

It can't be Bell , at least until he reports and signs the tag , cant trade what you do not have under contract /tag

BlackAndGold
09-04-2018, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=Dwinsgames;649224
It can't be Bell , at least until he reports and signs the tag , cant trade what you do not have under contract /tag[/QUOTE]

My point was if there was any thought form anyone he'd be moved once signed. Not happening.

Dwinsgames
09-04-2018, 04:56 PM
My point was if there was any thought form anyone he'd be moved once signed. Not happening.

I guess that depends , I wouldn't rule it out completely ....

lets say bell doesnt show this week , Conner goes over 100 and blocks well makes a couple catches .....

lets say Bell doesnt show next week .... Conner repeats his prior weeks performance ...

Bell shows up week 3 signs the tag , Jets call and offer a 1st and 3rd in next years draft ....

Bell is on way to New York and Steelers lines their pockets with draft equity in 2019 ...

BlackAndGold
09-04-2018, 05:13 PM
Bell won't net a 1st. I could see them landing a 3rd if they were serious about moving him, which would be extremely unlikely since trading an All Pro does nothing to help the team this upcoming season.

They'll get a compensatory 3rd in 2020 once/if Bell leaves via FA.

Dwinsgames
09-04-2018, 07:17 PM
Bell won't net a 1st. I could see them landing a 3rd if they were serious about moving him, which would be extremely unlikely since trading an All Pro does nothing to help the team this upcoming season.

They'll get a compensatory 3rd in 2020 once/if Bell leaves via FA.

you never know what another team is willing to pay to put asses in the seats

Dwinsgames
09-05-2018, 10:09 AM
Shane Ray may be available , buried on the depth chart in Denver , an FA next season ....

I wonder if we may be freeing up cash to go after him in trade and sign deal ?

Mojouw
09-05-2018, 10:19 AM
Shane Ray may be available , buried on the depth chart in Denver , an FA next season ....

I wonder if we may be freeing up cash to go after him in trade and sign deal ?

I'm starting to wonder about Nate Orchard. I know he has a tryout with the Bills and has not totally lived up to his draft status, but check out this gem:

"Orchard switched positions but wasn’t coached in the most basic aspect of that switch—the way he puts his hand onto the ground. It went unnoticed by his coaches for more than a year and was pointed out only when Garrett—a second-year player—said something. Orchard’s story was merely an anecdote, but it also spoke volumes about the Browns’ inability to develop talent despite a cornucopia of draft picks in recent years. Saunders was right that people remember the last thing they see, and the last thing we saw Orchard practicing before his best game of the preseason was players coaching themselves. It explains quite a bit about the Hue Jackson era. "

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/9/5/17822250/hard-knocks-episode-5-cutdowns

I mean, seriously? Cleveland is just so bad. Hue Jackson is a total fraud. He is the walking embodiment of every criticism people charge Tomlin with -- only for Huey they are all true. If you all haven't see in it, the best part of Hard Knocks is watching it dawn on Haley just how f'ed up the Browns are as an organization.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-05-2018, 10:33 AM
I'm starting to wonder about Nate Orchard. I know he has a tryout with the Bills and has not totally lived up to his draft status, but check out this gem:

"Orchard switched positions but wasn’t coached in the most basic aspect of that switch—the way he puts his hand onto the ground. It went unnoticed by his coaches for more than a year and was pointed out only when Garrett—a second-year player—said something. Orchard’s story was merely an anecdote, but it also spoke volumes about the Browns’ inability to develop talent despite a cornucopia of draft picks in recent years. Saunders was right that people remember the last thing they see, and the last thing we saw Orchard practicing before his best game of the preseason was players coaching themselves. It explains quite a bit about the Hue Jackson era. "

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/9/5/17822250/hard-knocks-episode-5-cutdowns

I mean, seriously? Cleveland is just so bad. Hue Jackson is a total fraud. He is the walking embodiment of every criticism people charge Tomlin with -- only for Huey they are all true. If you all haven't see in it, the best part of Hard Knocks is watching it dawn on Haley just how f'ed up the Browns are as an organization.

While I agree the Hue Jackson regime is sketchy and that is fine for the Steelers, I don't know if Orchard is any better than Chickillo on the roster. Orchard was a DE from what I recall in college and I thought the 2 questions about him were 1. Will he make the transition to playing OLB and 2. Does he have the motor to be successful in the NFL or does he play too soft.

Maybe playing for a team with 1 win in 2 seasons was a culture that hurt Orchard, but something tells me he has Dan McCullers syndrome in the way of aggressiveness.

Mojouw
09-05-2018, 10:48 AM
While I agree the Hue Jackson regime is sketchy and that is fine for the Steelers, I don't know if Orchard is any better than Chickillo on the roster. Orchard was a DE from what I recall in college and I thought the 2 questions about him were 1. Will he make the transition to playing OLB and 2. Does he have the motor to be successful in the NFL or does he play too soft.

Maybe playing for a team with 1 win in 2 seasons was a culture that hurt Orchard, but something tells me he has Dan McCullers syndrome in the way of aggressiveness.

Fair enough. I dimly remember him being billed as an OLB pass rush conversion. No idea if he is or isn’t any good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drazo85
09-05-2018, 11:22 AM
Looks like Seahawks rejected 2nd rounder for Thomas from cowboys.

Послато са Mi A1 уз помоћ Тапатока

Dwinsgames
09-05-2018, 11:40 AM
Bell rumored sitting out till week 10 will save the steelers 8.55 million in additional cap space that can be floated to 2019